Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was gonna say that the Angels and the Ancestor Race of Giant Adams being from Nebula M78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Ethiser posted:

Shin Godzilla is basically an angel. It is a mysterious, practically invincible, singular creature that has an infinite internal power supply and wants to supplant humanity as the dominant life on earth.

I dunno about that last part. Shin Godzilla spends most of the movie in extreme, agonizing pain due to his uncontrollable mutations/evolutions and doesn't even seem to know where he even is most times. If anything he's taking one long stroll and is constantly confused why these tiny things keep shooting him with stuff or throwing trains at him.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I mean he probably isn’t actively thinking about taking over the planet, but at the end he’s starting to bud a bunch of human like monsters. Maybe he’s actually Lilith. Give me Shin Godzilla 2 where his soul is put inside a high school girl.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I mean he probably isn’t actively thinking about taking over the planet, but at the end he’s starting to bud a bunch of human like monsters. Maybe he’s actually Lilith. Give me Shin Godzilla 2 where his soul is put inside a high school girl.

Gojira-chan Wants To Hang Out

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

what the

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So, I'm going to go back and read the thread, but i just wanted to pop in and say that i just rewatched NGE for the first time since I was a freshman in college(fucken 20 years ago), and it's still the best ever. I watched Platinum + Death/Rebirth + End, i haven't seen the Netflix version, so i can't say anything about that.

EDIT- I'm also waiting for the release of the fourth rebuild movie to watch them all

Narzack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 2, 2021

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What’s the story there?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anno has a long history of curbing ideas and imagery from classic and pulp sci-fi stories, especially stuff by Harlan Ellison, who surprise surprise, is listed on the cover of that magazine.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What’s the story there?

aesthetics

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Narzack posted:

So, I'm going to go back and read the thread, but i just wanted to pop in and say that i just rewatched NGE for the first time since I was a freshman in college(fucken 20 years ago), and it's still the best ever. I watched Platinum + Death/Rebirth + End, i haven't seen the Netflix version, so i can't say anything about that.

EDIT- I'm also waiting for the release of the fourth rebuild movie to watch them all

I just did exactly that. IMO watch the rebuilds before reading through the rest of the thread, there's a lot of non spoiler text discussion on them. They're also pretty good as standalone movies.

I just recently watched them myself. Thoughts:

1.0:

Ramiel was a cool use of CG, and that whole sequence was great. I only really caught the major nods to EoE but never really knew what to make of them. The second time around the kaworu introduction and hint at some sort of timeloop/whatever seems more like flavour than something that will actually ever get "resolved".

2.0:

Easily my favourite. The way it plucks things from the show and undermines your expectations right up to the end was really cool. The scenes of asuka having a nice phonecall with misato right before piloting unit 3 just made my stomach sink. All the character interaction bits through the movie were great (my favourite part of the series really). I don't know why but I laughed really hard at Rei tasting some soup. And the bandaids.

Ending was fantastic. Utterly appropriate level of "what the gently caress?"

3.0:

Liked it more than 1.0, but some parts didn't work for me. The wunder CGI fight sequence, and sidelining a big chunk of the cast. I was expecting maybe a tiny bit more exposition about the events between movies. On 2nd viewing I pieced a lot more together from the visual imagery and dialog. Kaworu scenes were great. I came away thinking he was a bit more manipulative than the series portrayed him. Shinji breakdown scenes were well done. I can't find a screencap but the scene where he is alone in his room sitting on the inside of the bed with his head on the wall stood out.

To circle back to the series, I think I want to watch it again. Is it worth tracking down the old ADV version? The voice cast of the netflix version was better than I expected given the backlash i remember seeing (Shinji was great imo), but the translation/writing was strange. Some bits of dialog were just plain weird to listen to, and then when I turned on the subs it just caused further confusion.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Crustashio posted:

3.0:

Shinji breakdown scenes were well done. I can't find a screencap but the scene where he is alone in his room sitting on the inside of the bed with his head on the wall stood out.

Oh man that sure sounds like some prime NGE material for sure

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

AFAIK, there isn’t any cheap, legal way to get your hands on the original ADV releases.

As for the jankiness with the Netflix version: they were basically kept on a short leash by Khara, and kept as closely to the original Japanese as possible... even when it doesn’t make any sense grammatically in English.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Crustashio posted:

I just did exactly that. IMO watch the rebuilds before reading through the rest of the thread, there's a lot of non spoiler text discussion on them. They're also pretty good as standalone movies.

I just recently watched them myself. Thoughts:

Yeah, i think you're right. So you think watch what's released now instead of waiting for the fourth one and doing them all together?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Regalingualius posted:

AFAIK, there isn’t any cheap, legal way to get your hands on the original ADV releases.

Is there any reason to even want those? I never upgraded to Platinum.

I’m hoping they release a 4K Blu-ray compilation of the rebuilds once it eventually comes out.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Narzack posted:

Yeah, i think you're right. So you think watch what's released now instead of waiting for the fourth one and doing them all together?

If you're fine with waiting like a year or more for a "definitive" conclusion, sure. I read through this thread gradually last week and there is a ton of unspoilertagged discussion about them, so I figured it was better to just watch them. No regrets even though #4 is likely going to be a long way away still.

Regalingualius posted:

I realized that after checking ebay for various versions of the DVD releases. Yikes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Crustashio posted:

I realized that after checking ebay for various versions of the DVD releases. Yikes.
i keep forgetting to sell my ADV box set that i've had in storage since ~2007

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

Fly Ricky posted:

Is there any reason to even want those? I never upgraded to Platinum.

I’m hoping they release a 4K Blu-ray compilation of the rebuilds once it eventually comes out.

There's some remastering done because the original DVDs were encoded poorly and some additional directors cut content that's mostly fluff (as far as I remember). I'm not sure about what all the differences are, but there's no way that they are worth the current mark up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Severedseven posted:

There's some remastering done because the original DVDs were encoded poorly and some additional directors cut content that's mostly fluff (as far as I remember). I'm not sure about what all the differences are, but there's no way that they are worth the current mark up.
I have them too and the main reason I bought them years ago was because they finally fixed the annoying little animation cel jiggle every time there was a cut.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Don't downplay the improvements w/ Platinum/Renewal, they were dramatic over what was available at the time.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
I really just meant that the $200-400 that's being asked for them on ebay and amazon is probably not worth it to most people.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Severedseven posted:

I really just meant that the $200-400 that's being asked for them on ebay and amazon is probably not worth it to most people.
Also yes, this is also true.

If you are motivated enough it's not terribly hard to find rips of the BD set that have ADV subs which is honestly what I would recommend if that sounds at all palatable.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Platinum is the US release of the Japanese Renewal release which is a literal Anno led remaster with some edits in addition to compilating the extended episodes with (weird hybrid versions of) the broadcasted episodes.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

If you are motivated enough it's not terribly hard to find rips of the BD set that have ADV subs which is honestly what I would recommend if that sounds at all palatable.
If that's the Sephirotic thing then yeah, absolute best possible way to watch NGE these days

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Severedseven posted:

JazzFlight posted:

I have them too and the main reason I bought them years ago was because they finally fixed the annoying little animation cel jiggle every time there was a cut.

Sorry, I read "original ADV release" and was thinking of those first ADV DVDs which had the shudder/etc. I think the OP used the wrong choice of words; the first ADV release was those janky ones.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Severedseven posted:

:stare:

This is like when I saw I had the original US DVD release of 5cm per Second and it was apparently $150 before the re-release. I should probably dig this out of my closet when I get home.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For at least some period of time, the Paranoia Agent DVD box set I had was going for around $1000.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I’m extremely glad that I managed to get the Platinum box set back when it was probably only slightly overpriced.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Nate RFB posted:

I watched these last month and they were good. Still need to find one for End of Eva, though.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I don't remember what I first saw, but i think it was a fansub. This was back in 2001, so maybe adv? I bought the Platinum set about ten years ago or so, and I have no complaints

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There were absolutely fansubs in the wild around that time, as the first time I ever watched Evangelion was via VHS fansubs you got via mail order. It was a different time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Narzack posted:

I don't remember what I first saw, but i think it was a fansub. This was back in 2001, so maybe adv? I bought the Platinum set about ten years ago or so, and I have no complaints

ADV's VHS came out in 97-98 and the DVDs were 2002. Platinum was 2004, Holiday was 2008, and it went out of print in 2011. Fansubs were probably running around in 96-97 but that predates my interest in anime so I don't know much about the scene then.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I first watched a couple of Eva eps as super low-res .viv files on some website and decided to pick up the series, so I found a set of subbed VCDs.

It was probably one of the first anime shows I ever watched besides maybe Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon and I absolutely loved it. I think shortly after that I went for Cowboy Bebop on DVD as they released in the US. Back then I would browse the shelves at any DVD store just to grab any cheap anime since it was still kinda rare.

At this point, I have a Crunchyroll subscription and barely watch anything because it's just too much to wade through.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
My first exposure to Eva (an non-pokemon/DBZ anime in general) was EoE on DVD at age 15 or so. I had no clue what was going on, especially because I hadn't seen any of the episodes or Death/Rebirth beforehand.

Now I have ZX rips that are at least a decade old that have floated from hard drive to hard drive over the years. Im sure there are better quality releases out there now but :shrug:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
My first Eva watching was getting it off KaZaa with horrible visual/audio quality, neon green subtitles and the occasional reformatting of my hard drive.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

These are all legit as hell ways to watch Eva. Pretty sure I caught and episode or two as a teen late on SBS. At the time that station was largely known around Australia as “sex before soccer” as they’d fill the every evening with horny European movies and football matches. They also screened the very very controversial South Park and some edgy local content. Not bad for a mostly public funded station.

On rare occasions they would show anime like bubble gum crisis or NGE.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I remember Manga Entertainment had an extremely early days streaming service where they hosted in some cases full episodes or movies they’d dubbed on their website, and they had the first like 20 minutes of End of Evangelion online as a teaser to get people to buy EoE on DVD. So I think that was my first experience of actually watching Evangelion after hearing about it for years prior and seeing that promo image of the EVAs fighting that fake angel that doesn’t appear anywhere in the series floating around online for equally as long.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
My first Eva experience was buying 2 episodes at a time on vhs

You young shits

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Regarde Aduck posted:

My first Eva experience was buying 2 episodes at a time on vhs

You young shits

This except renting them. Roger's Video had a surprising amount of anime available so during the summers me and my friends would have like, anime weekends in the basement.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
My local comic book shop had a back room where they rented anime vhs. Ninja scroll, Akira, all the good stuff. 12 year old me getting in an argument about not having rewound an Eva tape, since I wouldn’t have enough money to rent the next one after their fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I saw Eva via the hot new Netflix DVD mail service.