Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Wrapping up Plague Garden, it’s my first ever bit of AoS and except for a bit confusion over all the different types of sigmarines, I thoroughly enjoyed it

I liked the fact that the antagonist was a pirate with a parasitic kraken, complete with beak and tentacles, protruding from his side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Have they ever changed the 'regular' Eisenhorn books? I have the OG three 2001/2002 ones, are they valuable at all?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, they did a run a couple of years back in the same cover style as the Magos release.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the more pulpy look of the late 90s to mid 2000s Black Library cover art. The Ghosts novels have a great charm to them that the new covers can't quite match. That said I do love having official artwork for Rawne, Corbec, Criid and Kolea at long last rather than "implied but not certain" artwork.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Miguel Prado posted:

Wrapping up Plague Garden, it’s my first ever bit of AoS and except for a bit confusion over all the different types of sigmarines, I thoroughly enjoyed it

It's a good book, Gardus is cool, and the various Nurglites are fun characters too.

Get that Humble Bundle people Plague Garden is a good book you can get for a dollar along with four others.

Paddyo posted:

I liked the fact that the antagonist was a pirate with a parasitic kraken, complete with beak and tentacles, protruding from his side.

Spume has a lot of charisma for a guy that looks like this.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 5, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Have they ever changed the 'regular' Eisenhorn books? I have the OG three 2001/2002 ones, are they valuable at all?

If they are hardbacks and in good condition you can probably get $40-$60 for them. I know a good condition paperback Eisenhorn omnibus is going for like $50 right now.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm eye loving the limited edition ham books on ebay....is it a bad idea to buy there? I don't have a facebook unfortunately since I've heard thats the best spot.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just binged through all of gaunts ghosts. Fun read but there was way too many fakeout deaths.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I'm eye loving the limited edition ham books on ebay....is it a bad idea to buy there? I don't have a facebook unfortunately since I've heard thats the best spot.

It really depends on pricing and what you are looking at. I've found some great deals on ebay, but it is usually because I have certain searches saved and jumped on it immediately when a good buy it now price got posted and I got a notification email. Occasionally I have gotten good deals when a book just never got high bids compared to its normal price. Before you buy anything I would make sure you run multiple searches for sold copies of what you are thinking about buying. That can typically give you a good idea of the range because you are seeing what people are actually paying and not posting for. Almost all the really hard to find books I've gotten have come from ebay though since it is more likely somebody will post them there. As you said, the best deals I have found have been on FB. You can setup an account without a lot of personal info (or wrong info) and only use it to join the BL groups.

I've gotten way into this, so if you have any questions about pricing/availability of certain books just ask.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just binged through all of gaunts ghosts. Fun read but there was way too many fakeout deaths.

Yeah if you binge the series instead of spreading it out over 10-15 years some of Abnett's habits wear real thin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

At least there are a lot of real deaths.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Miguel Prado posted:

It's a surprisingly good book. The audiobook is a good listen.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gate of Bones regular edition goes on sale tomorrow.

I finally got these two from GW. I haven't ever had this many BL books to read at once that I'm really excited about since I first started reading 40k.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The maps in those books are so cool. I wish they would release them as prints.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Paddyo posted:

The maps in those books are so cool. I wish they would release them as prints.

They did release the Solar system map from The Solar War and have plans to release the rest.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

D-Pad posted:

They did release the Solar system map from The Solar War and have plans to release the rest.

Finally, I’ll know what the solar system looks like

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Finally, I’ll know what the solar system looks like

I mean it is pretty cool

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man I just want my Alpharius/Mortis to ship :mad: apparently the US orders haven't shipped at all yet? At least that seems to have been the case a day or two ago.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am very close to finishing Alpharius. Mike Brooks has done another excellent job. I'm really glad he started to write for BL. He has the first book in a new fantasy series coming out on the 16th and I am definitely going to pick it up. Dude is impressive for a relatively new writer. I was always curious who they would get to handle the Alpharius novel and how they would do it. There has been relatively little written about the Alpha legion and I think it is something that is hard to do correctly. Brooks has now done a good job with an Ork POV and Alpharius POV novel, probably two of the hardest subjects in BL to do well.

There is some pretty interesting lore. We get the true origin story of the twins and it isn't what we thought. Alpharius is pretty cool and I found myself liking him a lot more than I expected to. He has a very realistic view of the crusade, his brothers, and even the emperor. It's cold and calculating but with enough humanity to not make him an uncaring rear end in a top hat. It's definitely one of my favorite primarch novels.

I also started the Gate of Bones. I'm not very far into it at all, but so far it seems to be better than Andy Clark's usual work. We'll see if that holds up. After this I have Mortis and then Deacon of Wounds, and I'll report back on those as well.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Man I just want my Alpharius/Mortis to ship :mad: apparently the US orders haven't shipped at all yet? At least that seems to have been the case a day or two ago.

I got mine yesterday so they have started. It's slow going though, with Helwinter I got mine almost three weeks after the first US people started to get theirs so it really depends on where you are in the queue.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Mike Brooks did Alpharius? Im super interested now

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, same here. I've only read HH through Legion oddly enough. I am planning to read the high points eventually to get to the end by skipping the chaff. Could I safely read Alpharius out of order?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

abrosheen posted:

Yeah, same here. I've only read HH through Legion oddly enough. I am planning to read the high points eventually to get to the end by skipping the chaff. Could I safely read Alpharius out of order?

All the primarch books are set before the HH so you can read them whenever.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

PSA:

I know a lot of you go to r/40klore and read spoilers for the LEs since the regular editions don't come out for a while. Now that I've finished Alpharius I went and checked out the spoiler threads. Just completely disregard the thread by ForasNoctis11. It's the biggest thread so far on spoilers for the book and this guy has the absolute worst reading comprehension of anybody I have encountered. Like he literally gets almost every thing he says is "100% confirmed" in the book utterly wrong. Not even in an unreliable narrator way, which the book definitely has elements of, but just flat out wrong. There are hundred of comments by people saying their minds are blown or being mad that BL could possibly ok the lore he says the book "100% confirms".

What an idiot. I just can't believe somebody can be so bad at reading. This is why there are so many misconceptions in the lore. Now there are hundreds of fans that have read that post and are going to tell others and talk about that stuff as if it is fact for years because they probably won't read the book themselves. loving garbage.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yknow, that's kinda lore accurate in a beautiful way though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yknow, that's kinda lore accurate in a beautiful way though.

It's lies, all the way down.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'd say the fault is on BL for the stupid rear end release format.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of hope the dude just flat out lied to reddit.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

What if... Every limited edition copy of Alpharius is written differently just to throw people off. :tinfoil: :aaaaa:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

bagrada posted:

What if... Every limited edition copy of Alpharius is written differently just to throw people off. :tinfoil: :aaaaa:

The paperback book x ARG x trading card model of publishing. 10 different versions of the book that can be pieced together for one code that unlocks the purchase of the one true edition (first come first serve, limited to 100 copies).

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

I take it we have no idea when they are dropping the non-limited edition of Alpharius?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Miguel Prado posted:

I take it we have no idea when they are dropping the non-limited edition of Alpharius?

I believe so, because Black Library. I sure love dodging spoilers for months on end!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't think Mortis is even listed on the BL web store yet.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I bought Saturnine because it was by Dan Abnett and is also in paperback now (but lol it's a large format paperback WHY).

And.. it was okay? It was very much a Middle Book where a lot happened but also not that much of significance happened. Mandated plot points were hit, there was a lot of explosions. I have to assume I'd have been more invested in the gigantic cast if I'd read the other Siege of Terra books, but my policy is to only read things by Abnett, ADB, or about specific Legions or characters that interest me.

EDIT: The remembrancer interegator stuff was good, the Perpetual stuff was okay, Perturabo/Mournival scenes were great

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 7, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I bought Saturnine because it was by Dan Abnett and is also in paperback now (but lol it's a large format paperback WHY).

And.. it was okay? It was very much a Middle Book where a lot happened but also not that much of significance happened. Mandated plot points were hit, there was a lot of explosions. I have to assume I'd have been more invested in the gigantic cast if I'd read the other Siege of Terra books, but my policy is to only read things by Abnett, ADB, or about specific Legions or characters that interest me.

EDIT: The remembrancer interegator stuff was good, the Perpetual stuff was okay, Perturabo/Mournival scenes were great

If Chris Wraight isn't on your policy list you are really doing yourself a disservice. He's arguably better than both Abnett and ADB. At least good enough that the one you like the most out of the three is down to personal taste and not author skill.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also yeah, I can't imagine jumping into book 3 of an 8 book series would leave you that interested regardless of who writes it :shrug:

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I’m with you bro, saturnine was ok. The last stand at the bridge was cool and good though.

So Mortis is book 5 right? So that means we have an ADB and/or a CW book coming next hopefully?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm foaming at the mouth waiting for another Chris Wraight book.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

I'm foaming at the mouth waiting for another Chris Wraight book.

Helwinter Gate is excellent! Regular edition should be out in a few months. I highly recommend reading the first two before you read Helwinter. The first two were written over six years ago and while they are good, Helwinter is great and you can really see how far Wraight has come.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Helwinter Gate is excellent! Regular edition should be out in a few months. I highly recommend reading the first two before you read Helwinter. The first two were written over six years ago and while they are good, Helwinter is great and you can really see how far Wraight has come.

Awesome, I will try to get the first two after I'm done with Gate of Bones, and I should be caught up by the time Helwinter is out :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Old-school throwback reference in Gate of Bones. Anyone remember Ilyan Nastasé? He's now a proper Eldar.