Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
From what I recall, Sweet was working from pretty general notes, or through intermediaries and that's what he interpreted trollocs as being? hence the horns etc

E:
answers somewhere in here: https://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27art%27

EE:

Robert Jordan posted:

With regard to the covers, both my editor and I have fought long and hard to get them to be the way they should be. And obviously with a high futility quotient. Countless descriptions of Trollocs, pointing out that Rand is approximately 6'5"–6'6" tall, descriptions of the swords, of Perrin's axe, etc.

The "dwarf Moiraine on a pony" problem was only the first, along with Lan being in armor and the Robin Hood clothes. I do not assign blame. On those occasions when either my editor or I have been able to speak directly to Darryl Sweet, the problems in sketches have been solved handily for the most part. (You did not realize that there were discrepancies in the sketches which never made it onto the covers, did you?) Sometimes you just give up after awhile; with Rand's height, for instance. After five books showing him as maybe 6' tall, I've simply bagged trying for the extra 6". As for the changing hair colors, I fear you must look to the printing process for that blame. When we see the cover painting, all colors are as we wish them to be, but then we must hope that the colors are reproduced with some degree of faithfulness on the actual covers. The expense of printing covers and/or dust jackets is such that no publisher is going to throw away a set and reprint simply because the characters' hair has changed color.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can kinda see where people would get that from the vague description of trollocs. like yeah, it's not particularly accurate, but it's also not entirely off-base.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Torrannor posted:

Except that those are not trollocs on the cover of The Great Hunt.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the reason TGH is the only book where the ebook cover depicts the exact same scene as the original is because someone, somewhere, really wanted to go "no, idiot, Trollocs look like this"

https://dragonmount.com/gallery/image/3065-the-great-hunt/

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Syncopated posted:

These all rock imo, even if Perrin looks a bit goofy in the Stone.

He looks like a Lost Boy.

Bangarang, Rand.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The Gathering Storm is great because it's like Rand yelling at the clouds.

The eBook covers came out pretty awesome, specially Lord of Chaos.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
sweet did a sketch for A Memory of Light before dying, it always gets me a little, you know. In my feels

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

calandryll posted:

They used to be awesome. Amazon changed them all to these ones a while ago. There not bad, but they're trying a little too hard to be modern and minimalist in my opinion. The artistic covers from a few years ago were way better in my opinion.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soysaucebeast posted:

They used to be awesome. Amazon changed them all to these ones a while ago. There not bad, but they're trying a little too hard to be modern and minimalist in my opinion. The artistic covers from a few years ago were way better in my opinion.

blaaaaaahhhhh

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brolander posted:

sweet did a sketch for A Memory of Light before dying, it always gets me a little, you know. In my feels

i actually kind of wish they'd used this, it would have been a nice tribute

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

calandryll posted:

To be clear: Rand does shout at the sky in The Gathering Storm.

The Gathering Storm, ch. 11: The Death of Adrin posted:

“Burn you!” a voice bellowed. Aviendha looked up. Rand al’Thor strode through the broken hole that now formed the front of the mansion. He stared at the sky, shaking his fist. “I am the one you want! You will have your war soon enough!”

“Rand,” Aviendha said hesitantly. Soldiers were milling about the green, looking concerned, as if expecting a battle. Bewildered servants peeked out of rooms inside the manor. The entire episode with the flames had taken less than five minutes.

“I will stop you!” Rand roared, causing calls of fright from both servants and soldiers. “Do you hear me! I am coming for you! Don’t waste your power! You will need it against me!”

“Rand!” Aviendha called.

He froze, then looked down at her, dazed. She met his eyes, and she could feel his anger, almost as she’d felt the intense flames just a short time before. He turned and stalked away, walking back into the building and up the blackened wooden steps.

fake edit: Actually, looking at the cover, that's exactly the scene being depicted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Isn't that the one they had to have him redraw from scratch because at first he drew Rand facing the house?

e:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 6, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m not crazy! Insists the man talking to himself and yelling at clouds.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Sweet was good at landscapes but increasingly terrible at people. If you take away the romance cover humans his Lord of Chaos cover kicks rear end

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Isn't that the one they had to have him redraw from scratch because at first he drew Rand facing the house?

e:

That's the one I remember, and had on my books.

Vavrek posted:

To be clear: Rand does shout at the sky in The Gathering Storm.

fake edit: Actually, looking at the cover, that's exactly the scene being depicted.

This one is much better, and honestly I have no recollection of the Sanderson books since I only read them once.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eh! Frank posted:

edit: Or take Gordon from Agents of Shield and give him a bald cap and some makeup to male him pale

Ironically, this is exactly how I pictured my first fade, and I never watched Agents of Shield. Just change the hair color to black!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Same. Like a creepy tall dude, that then turns around and has no orbital sockets

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Data Graham posted:

e:

That leg! "How does he bear the pain..."

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

They... are aware that the serpent-eating-its-own-tail is just a circle, right? Not an infinity?

Because it's literally a ring that Aes Sedai wear.

e: or am I a dummy that never noticed the chapter icon was a snake? Jury is out, I don't have a book to look at.

bio347 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 7, 2021

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

bio347 posted:

They... are aware that the serpent-eating-its-own-tail is just a circle, right? Not an infinity?

Because it's literally a ring that Aes Sedai wear.

e: or am I a dummy that never noticed the chapter icon was a snake? Jury is out, I don't have a book to look at.

Infinity snake through a spoked wheel is the Series Icon.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

or aes sedai just wear goofy rear end rings

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The original cover art was poo poo and I’m glad in Australia we mostly got the plain covers with a simple wheel of time motif.

But the original ebook covers were excellent and I’ve always been disappointed they never used them for physical books. The one of Mat that was
used for the cover of book 4 I think is my favourite piece of WoT art.

passionatebeaver
Oct 15, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

But the original ebook covers were excellent and I’ve always been disappointed they never used them for physical books. The one of Mat that was
used for the cover of book 4 I think is my favourite piece of WoT art.

They were actually! I'm not sure about out of the US availability, but if you look for the paperback (not mass market paperback) editions, they use that art.

Here's the book 4 one for example: https://bookshop.org/books/the-shadow-rising-book-four-of-the-wheel-of-time/9780765334671

I was looking for years after spotting them in a local book store a while ago and finally figured out the right edition and got the set this past summer:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

passionatebeaver posted:

They were actually! I'm not sure about out of the US availability, but if you look for the paperback (not mass market paperback) editions, they use that art.

Here's the book 4 one for example: https://bookshop.org/books/the-shadow-rising-book-four-of-the-wheel-of-time/9780765334671

I was looking for years after spotting them in a local book store a while ago and finally figured out the right edition and got the set this past summer:

Oh wow. That's the first I've heard of it. I'm impressed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

passionatebeaver posted:

drat, I might have to pick those up. My collection is so patch work at this point that I might as well just replace the whole set.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 7, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

passionatebeaver posted:

Yea, I worked at a book store years ago when all those came out. I really debated getting the entire set, but at that point I was in the middle of converting my collection from physical to digital and didn't want to spend the money. The art for those covers is easily my favorite though, and I wish I could convert my ebook covers to those. Amazon doesn't let you swap out covers though.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They used to be that way I wonder why they changed. Probably rights or something.

passionatebeaver
Oct 15, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

drat, I might have to pick those up. My collection is so patch work at this point that I might as well just replace the whole set.

Yeah that was my thought too. Half the hard covers, the rest MMPB, mostly all worn to hell.

Sadly I felt like I had to get them through Amazon in the end, ended up being like $150 cheaper.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
https://www.wotseries.com/2021/02/10/scoop-amer-chadha-patels-role-revealed/

Ingtar.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Shinowans are clean-shaven right? They should really let him keep the beard anyway, that thing is glorious.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Shinowans are clean-shaven right? They should really let him keep the beard anyway, that thing is glorious.

I don't remember that being the case for Shienarans, the only appearance thing I remember about Shienarans is I think their warriors and nobility have topknots.

Going by the leaked shots from the filming, Agelmar (most likely) also has a beard.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1362099497791348745

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Alright, let’s make a deal!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'll be honest, I always thought the ruby was a hell of a lot bigger than that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looks like a cheap prop :(

Wasn't one of the major plot points that he didn't know it was cursed?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's supposed to be curved!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
e^^: You can see that the tip is slightly curved if you look closely.

The Glumslinger posted:

I'll be honest, I always thought the ruby was a hell of a lot bigger than that

Me too, but I always expect for things to not look like I imagine them when they get brought to television.

I somehow can't currently upload pics to imgur, is there an alternative? You can see the trading card depicting the dagger here: http://wotccg.mahasamatman.com/Premier/Gallery/266.JPG

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I like the look of the golden material but also that knife is very explicitly described as having a fairly large ruby in the pommel so I'm curious what design decisions went on there to change such a prominent (and frankly easy to fabricate) item.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
They probably made a mock-up and thought it looked kinda silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They probably didn’t give a poo poo and that’s a prop from another show.