Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is this the part where covid mutates to kill the younglings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

DeSantis has been messing with the numbers since the beginning

The last restrictions that were in place at a state level were lifted in Sept.

The government is literally trying to accuse that woman that made her own website with the actual numbers with treason so.....

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Blitter posted:

Not only is the surveillance insufficient to find and track new variants in the US, there are indeed (at least) two - The California variant, which contains the L452R mutation - currently known as "CAL.20C" for which "much is still unknown but was identified in 36.4% of new cases in a recent study in LA".

And there is the Ohio variant - which contains the 501Y mutation which is also present in the UK and SA variants and is correlated to increased infectivity.

loving P.1 was found out of just 1000 samples in SF; so who knows what else is out there - P.1 is the brazilian variant currently reinfecting the entire population of Manus Brazil where they already had +70% previously infected with the old version; no immunity from previous infection at all.

Aaand no one knows about it, media doesn't care about it and oh well, better OPENERUP.

I think there's one in Louisiana too. Oh no thats the UK one nm

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
A second quarantine worker has tested positive in Melbourne. This time it's a worker from a "health hotel" (these are where returned travellers who test positive are quarantined).

naem
May 29, 2011

family have children who might go back to two days in classroom in april, this is a bad idea right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

naem posted:

family have children who might go back to two days in classroom in april, this is a bad idea right?

Yeah, but it could be worse.

By April maybe the new strains will be filling the hospitals enough that the district will cancel.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

naem posted:

It's hard to know. Australian schools were doing remote learning for about half a term when covid first appeared but it's been mostly business as usual since then, although off-site excursions have been cancelled.

Nobody really knows yet how the new variants will affect schools. How concerned you should be mostly gets down to how good contact tracing is in your area.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From the replies:

https://twitter.com/jamesdbr/status/1358470485995114507

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
NSW has introduced non-mandatory Day 16 testing for returned travellers following another person testing positive after leaving hotel quarantine.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I needed that laugh.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Good lord the Super Bowl is packed. Might as well call it the Super Spreader Bowl.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
We had a parent/teacher conference last week. My wife asked about kids going in person. They said they scored every kid in the school with support services in place (IEP/504/SST etc) and ranked them, and the top 10 will go in person in some way. Our kid is not going in.

Of course once the new virus with its Jerry Rice extra sticky spike protein gloves (this metaphor brought to you by Superbowl Sunday) goes vertical, in person plans will probably change. Except for churches, courtesy of the 5 chuds in the SCOTUS. Jesus Christ that decision is a doozy.

Speaking of my wife, she hosted a get together with her "COVID pod" of friends in SF last night. They all think they got it last February or March and are immune. When she gets back, I'll mask up in the house with a KN95 for a few days. This will anger her, because obviously I'm being the rear end in a top hat here. It's been a rough year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AnnoyBot posted:

We had a parent/teacher conference last week. My wife asked about kids going in person. They said they scored every kid in the school with support services in place (IEP/504/SST etc) and ranked them, and the top 10 will go in person in some way. Our kid is not going in.

Of course once the new virus with its Jerry Rice extra sticky spike protein gloves (this metaphor brought to you by Superbowl Sunday) goes vertical, in person plans will probably change. Except for churches, courtesy of the 5 chuds in the SCOTUS. Jesus Christ that decision is a doozy.

Speaking of my wife, she hosted a get together with her "COVID pod" of friends in SF last night. They all think they got it last February or March and are immune. When she gets back, I'll mask up in the house with a KN95 for a few days. This will anger her, because obviously I'm being the rear end in a top hat here. It's been a rough year.

Yikes. At this point I think the guesstimate for resistance from actually having COVID is about 5 months. Even if they did have it last March it is highly likely their natural immunity has already faded.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

FiskTireBoy posted:

Good lord the Super Bowl is packed. Might as well call it the Super Spreader Bowl.

Trying to find any silver lining here... Is it possible that Super-spreaders are no longer possible in the US?

Was there any evidence of spiking cases after the capital protests/riots in early Jan?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yikes. At this point I think the guesstimate for resistance from actually having COVID is about 5 months. Even if they did have it last March it is highly likely their natural immunity has already faded.

Also for anyone who 'thinks' they had it last spring, without any confirmation/positive tests, it could easily just have had a cold, or the flu.
Covid dominated the headlines, but that doesn't mean the common cold, and the flu just packed their bags and left for the time being.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lolie posted:

A second quarantine worker has tested positive in Melbourne. This time it's a worker from a "health hotel" (these are where returned travellers who test positive are quarantined).

So, like even though thats still bad, because its another "positive case in a room full of positive cases" its slightly less bad than a positive case, where there should be no, or few positive cases.

Right guys?............ Right?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

FiskTireBoy posted:

They just zoomed in on a bunch of cardboard cutouts, said there was some number like 30,000+ of em in the stands - I have no clue how many actual people are there but I guarantee particles abound

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

They just zoomed in on a bunch of cardboard cutouts, said there was some number like 30,000+ of em in the stands - I have no clue how many actual people are there but I guarantee particles abound

25,000 fans.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also FL is immune to the virus so it’s NBD.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Dust travels thousands of miles from Africa to Europe. Rain droplets travel hundred of miles.

Why can't viruses travel more than 6 feet?

Everyone is retarded.

Edit: look on the sill on any window that opens. That dust is, in part, from outside.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

SubNat posted:

Also for anyone who 'thinks' they had it last spring, without any confirmation/positive tests, it could easily just have had a cold, or the flu.
Covid dominated the headlines, but that doesn't mean the common cold, and the flu just packed their bags and left for the time being.

Yes, I know this. I've been camped out in this thread for the past year, after all. Those who have chosen not to know this by now are not particularly open to hearing new and exciting information.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Something you might want to consider is that this isn't going to be the last big bad unprecedented thing in our lifetime.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

Something you might want to consider is that this isn't going to be the last big bad unprecedented thing in our lifetime.

Yeah, but they don't know that, yet. Please observe the temporal prime directive even on forums.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

wesleywillis posted:

So, like even though thats still bad, because its another "positive case in a room full of positive cases" its slightly less bad than a positive case, where there should be no, or few positive cases.

Right guys?............ Right?

I was under the impression that the health hotel workers had better PPE and followed more stringent infection control measures. If there's CCTV footage available it might provide some answers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

zgrowler2 posted:

25,000 real people were allowed in.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

Or indeed just this decade. I'm betting Blue Ocean Event, but it's probably gonna be like five or six different and worse things that somehow manage to happen concurrently.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Superbowl should have had blow up fans

so they can do deflategate II hehehehehehehehehe gently caress tom brady

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

25,000 real people were allowed in.

Also they said 7500 of them were vaccinated front line workers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Woodsy Owl posted:

Dust travels thousands of miles from Africa to Europe. Rain droplets travel hundred of miles.

Why can't viruses travel more than 6 feet?

Everyone is retarded.

Edit: look on the sill on any window that opens. That dust is, in part, from outside.

There are theories that there are significant viral transfers (e.g. influenza) via air currents the way across the Pacific Ocean.

They sound crackpot to me, but they’re published by serious people.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
South Africa has paused its vaccine rollout.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bucswabe posted:

Trying to find any silver lining here... Is it possible that Super-spreaders are no longer possible in the US?

30.25 million people have received one or more doses of a coronavirus vaccine in the US as of a day ago and there's been 27.6 million confirmed infections so far plus an unknown number of unconfirmed infections. If we assume that there's been at least as many unconfirmed infections as confirmed then altogether that'd only add up to 25.8% of the population that had some level of immunity, and the virus was still free to ravage through the remaining 74.2% of the population.

Of course there's a few other factors at play here:
- Only 8.3 million people (2.5% of the population) have received a second dose of vaccine so hardly anyone will be at the 95% protection level yet
- The vaccines aren't sterilizing so there's no guarantee they're not infected and shedding virus anyway (although the probability is lowered)
- A percentage the vaccinated people would have caught the virus previously so you can't just add those two numbers together, they're co-mingled
- We don't know how long natural immunity lasts, it might be as low as 5 months in some cases
- The vaccines are all based on the original Wuhan strain of the virus and are less effective against the new mutant strains
- The new strains are more infectious than the OG strain

Bucswabe posted:

Was there any evidence of spiking cases after the capital protests/riots in early Jan?

Dozens of cops who responded to those riots later tested positive
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/24/politics/capitol-police-riot-coronavirus/index.html
There were also a bunch of cases among the members of Congress after the riots, most likely because they had to shelter in a crowded room with GOP reps who refused to wear masks
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...sh=73478e356e08

The rioters themselves came from all across the country and then went back home after the riot, the states they came from would often have pretty high infection rates anyway so it'd be really difficult to trace infections back to the day of the riot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

South Africa has paused its vaccine rollout.

They bet the farm on the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine but a preliminary study shows it has "minimal protection" against the SA strain, so now they're scrambling to try and get shipments of the other vaccines

quote:

South Africa got its first 1 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine last week and was expected to begin giving shots to health care workers in mid-February. The disappointing early results indicate that an inoculation drive using the AstraZeneca vaccine may not be useful.

quote:

South Africa will urgently roll out other vaccines to inoculate as many people as possible in the coming months, Mkhize said. Other South African scientists said Sunday that clinical trials for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine show good results against the variant.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/south-africa-halts-astrazeneca-vaccine-after-study-questions-effectiveness-against-n1256981

AstraZeneca say they're retooling their vaxx for the SA strain but it won't be available for at least 6 months

quote:

Oxford researchers expect to have a modified jab to cope with the variant later in the year, the vaccine’s lead researcher said on Sunday.

“We have a version with the South African spike sequence in the works,” Sarah Gilbert, lead researcher for the Oxford team, told the BBC on Sunday.

“It looks very likely that we can have a new version ready to use in the (European) autumn.”
https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/amended-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-needed-for-south-african-variant-20210208-p570dr.html

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They bet the farm on the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine but a preliminary study shows it has "minimal protection" against the SA strain, so now they're scrambling to try and get shipments of the other vaccines

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/south-africa-halts-astrazeneca-vaccine-after-study-questions-effectiveness-against-n1256981

AstraZeneca say they're retooling their vaxx for the SA strain but it won't be available for at least 6 months

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/amended-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-needed-for-south-african-variant-20210208-p570dr.html

That study was small, isn't peer reviewed, and was conducted on people under 31.

I think it would be unwise for South Africa to assume that they will not face other variants before the AZ vaccine can be reworked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

I think it would be unwise for South Africa to assume that they will not face other variants before the AZ vaccine can be reworked.

Back at the start of the pandemic they told us that coronavirus is a super stable RNA virus that proofreads during replication and edits out mismatches, so there was hardly any chance that we'd see new strains and the vaccine rollout should go off without a hitch. Oh well!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Back at the start of the pandemic they told us that coronavirus is a super stable RNA virus that proofreads during replication and edits out mismatches, so there was hardly any chance that we'd see new strains and the vaccine rollout should go off without a hitch. Oh well!

There are some big ethical issues here. We will be manufacturing AZ vaccine locally but we won't use the majority of what we manufacture. Are we going to give developing nations the current, now inferior, vaccine or wait until a superior AZ vaccine is developed and tested to manufacture and donate those doses?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

There are some big ethical issues here. We will be manufacturing AZ vaccine locally but we won't use the majority of what we manufacture. Are we going to give developing nations the current, now inferior, vaccine or wait until a superior AZ vaccine is developed and tested to manufacture and donate those doses?

COVAX (the WHO/UNICEF global vaccine coalition) was heavily leaning towards AZ as well, almost all their 2021 Q1 doses were supposed to be AZ and almost half their doses for Q2 and Q3
https://www.who.int/news/item/03-02-2021-covax-publishes-first-interim-distribution-forecast

I guess that partial protection is still better than no protection so there's still some value on getting those jabs into arms. If mutations keep occurring and the virus genuinely goes endemic we probably would've needed yearly booster shots anyway, this just pushes the urgency forwards. Elimination was always an outside bet. :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

AnnoyBot posted:

Keep in mind that the mask is to protect others from you, not vice versa. Sleeping anywhere near her will be much more risky, in case that thought was in your head. If it weren't prohibitively expensive (and let's face it: lovely) I'd just get a motel for two weeks.

California is no loving joke. I hope you're safe.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Keep in mind that the mask is to protect others from you, not vice versa. Sleeping anywhere near her will be much more risky, in case that thought was in your head. If it weren't prohibitively expensive (and let's face it: lovely) I'd just get a motel for two weeks.

California is no loving joke. I hope you're safe.

A filtering mask does provide some protection to the wearer, too. If it is a decent KN95 then it is going to block aerosols to at least some extent.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/report-finds-kn95-masks-not-as-effective-as-n95-masks

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
You can get a disposable (vented) N100 for like 10 bucks on McMaster, they're super expensive for a disposable and thus almost always in stock shipping in like 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

COVAX (the WHO/UNICEF global vaccine coalition) was heavily leaning towards AZ as well, almost all their 2021 Q1 doses were supposed to be AZ and almost half their doses for Q2 and Q3
https://www.who.int/news/item/03-02-2021-covax-publishes-first-interim-distribution-forecast

I guess that partial protection is still better than no protection so there's still some value on getting those jabs into arms. If mutations keep occurring and the virus genuinely goes endemic we probably would've needed yearly booster shots anyway, this just pushes the urgency forwards. Elimination was always an outside bet. :(

I can't see us being able to stop hotel quarantine any time soon. Our biggest strength has been our ability to limit community transmission and hotel quarantine is an essential element of that.