Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dupersaurus posted:

I've got a motion-detecting light switch in my mud room, with two doors. It's about 8ft away from the second door, and triggering it from that far away is a bit of a coin flip. The device doesn't say anything about range, but it's obviously struggling. Is there anything I can do (like maybe stick something reflective on the door) to help it out?

Yeah if it's a Lutron switch there is definitely a setting for high sensitivity, and also you may have it in the wrong mode; Lutron sometimes has a really dumb "daylight sensing" option that is supposed to only work after the sun goes down but in reality just makes the poo poo really inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hi kind and artisty people

I have been trying to find a piece of data for a project and I can't find the precise answer online.

Are the sized of watercolor pans standarized across brands in any way ? If I buy, say, half pans from different brands will they be the same size? I would to shops and check myself, but between lockdowns and a high-risk spouse, well, I ain't, doing that.

Thanks in advance!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Most half pans, across brands, appear to be 19x16x10mm/0.7x0.6x0.4inch; Capacity: 1.6ml. Some are 9.5mm high.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

floWenoL posted:

Nope, no lever! I took off the tub overflow plate a while ago and didn't see anything a lever would attach to, but I'll double-check.

Where are you seeing a plate? It looks [edit: and feels] to me that the drain pipe just makes a sharp bend right below the hole...

Edit: double-checked, there's nothing behind the overflow plate except the pipe.

Does your drain have a black/grey plate at the bottom inside, or is that literally raw sewage?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Weird question I know, but is there any way to use a European light fixture (in this case a floor lamp) in an American home? Obviously it would be 230V and I would have 120V. Yes I have an actual reason for this question :p

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

actionjackson posted:

Weird question I know, but is there any way to use a European light fixture (in this case a floor lamp) in an American home? Obviously it would be 230V and I would have 120V. Yes I have an actual reason for this question :p

Probably/it depends, do you have a picture/description of this floor lamp?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Probably/it depends, do you have a picture/description of this floor lamp?

https://www.dmlights.com/louis_poulsen_yuh_floor_dim___automatic_switch_off_black~12ZKZ

technical details are about halfway down

they also said it's not UL listed, is that a safety issue?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah if it's a Lutron switch there is definitely a setting for high sensitivity, and also you may have it in the wrong mode; Lutron sometimes has a really dumb "daylight sensing" option that is supposed to only work after the sun goes down but in reality just makes the poo poo really inconsistent.

I thought I had it set high (of course it doesn't tell you), but I re-set it just in case. Also turned daylight mode off. We'll see how it goes

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

actionjackson posted:

https://www.dmlights.com/louis_poulsen_yuh_floor_dim___automatic_switch_off_black~12ZKZ

technical details are about halfway down

they also said it's not UL listed, is that a safety issue?

Lol, they hide the appearance of the wall wart in every picture.

So, it's powered by a 12V power supply, there's a good chance that it's a voltage detecting power supply, you'll have to look at the power supply to determine if that's true (should say something like input voltage: 100-240V), if it is true you can put an American plug on it and use it.

If it's not a multi voltage power supply, you'll have to get a 120V 12V power supply and wire it in, which should be doable pretty easy and safely. Something like this should work fine.

For UL listing, I can pretty much guarantee you the $500 floor lamp sold in a Scandanavian country is listed by some sort of testing lab, and the product will be safe, the EU's NRTL equivalent, CE, is more thorough than UL anyways, no one's breaking your door down and checking your NRTL stickers either way, plus if you modify it you're invalidating any sort of listing anyway.

E:
The manufacturer sells a power supply with a US adapter in their website.

That is a generic as gently caress Chinese-made LED power supply if you want to get one for $10 on Amazon instead of paying $50.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Elviscat posted:

So, it's powered by a 12V power supply, there's a good chance that it's a voltage detecting power supply, you'll have to look at the power supply to determine if that's true (should say something like input voltage: 100-240V), if it is true you can put an American plug on it and use it.
This is stated explicitly in the manual you can find on that page. Yes, 100-240V 50/60Hz compatible power supply. There's even a picture where it shows it comes with a set of pin adapter plates so you're fine buying this for the US from the EU, UK, Japan or Singapore. Buying from Australia, Korea and China would give you a different set of adapter plates that wouldn't include a fitting one for the US.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is stated explicitly in the manual you can find on that page. Yes, 100-240V 50/60Hz compatible power supply. There's even a picture where it shows it comes with a set of pin adapter plates so you're fine buying this for the US from the EU, UK, Japan or Singapore. Buying from Australia, Korea and China would give you a different set of adapter plates that wouldn't include a fitting one for the US.

Yeah, I found that and edited my post, they kinda bury that info.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I found that and edited my post, they kinda bury that info.
No, I'm specifically referring to this picture from the manual, about the included power adapter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks guys, so I could use that lamp as long as I buy the adaptor?

the reason I asked is because that's quite a bit less than buying it from a US store, and there's no VAT or shipping cost. But there is still an import tax which might erase much of the difference.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

actionjackson posted:

thanks guys, so I could use that lamp as long as I buy the adaptor?

the reason I asked is because that's quite a bit less than buying it from a US store, and there's no VAT or shipping cost. But there is still an import tax which might erase much of the difference.

No, the adapter is included.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

No, the adapter is included.

I wasn't sure if I would get all four of those plugs/plates in the picture with the red box around it, or just the EU one. Though even if it just came with the EU one I already have an adapter that I used for traveling.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

actionjackson posted:

Assuming you have a standard threaded bulb socket: Put on a US plug and screw in a 110V bulb.

My family lived in Europe for seven years. We brought our lamps & put plugs on, and (in France in 1975) installed bayonet sockets.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How do I change the bulbs in these fuckers? Every set of instructions I can find for these sorts of recessed ceiling lights is either "grasp the inner ring and rotate it" or "press against the bulb and rotate it", but the inner ring doesn't rotate, it just swivels ~30° left or right (presumably, the mountings that let it swivel also couple it to the outer ring, so it can't be rotated that way), and the bulb recesses slightly when pressed but does not rotate either -- and even if it did, the inner ring is narrower at the front than the bulb itself, so I don't see how it could be removed that way. I can't rotate the outer ring either.

At this point my best guess is "remove an adjacent ceiling tile and dismantle the entire light fixture from behind", but that can't possibly be how you're meant to do this, can it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Assuming you have a standard threaded bulb socket: Put on a US plug and screw in a 110V bulb.

My family lived in Europe for seven years. We brought our lamps & put plugs on, and (in France in 1975) installed bayonet sockets.

thanks - it's not standard. I don't even think the light itself can be replaced except by a professional, but they typically last forever.

I looked at the product info for the US and EU version, and in both cases it said "LED 2700K 10W" for the bulb, so maybe I would only need to change the plug?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

actionjackson posted:

thanks - it's not standard. I don't even think the light itself can be replaced except by a professional, but they typically last forever.

I looked at the product info for the US and EU version, and in both cases it said "LED 2700K 10W" for the bulb, so maybe I would only need to change the plug?

Sorry, thought you were referring to a standard light fixture until I saw the following replies.

The tech spec manual you posted shows the transformer is rated to handle 100V-230V so in a pinch, you could either stick a Euro ---> US plug adapter on it, or cut the Euro plug off and wire on a US plug as long as you preserve polarity - plus (hot) to plus, and ground/common to ground/common.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Sorry, thought you were referring to a standard light fixture until I saw the following replies.

The tech spec manual you posted shows the transformer is rated to handle 100V-230V so in a pinch, you could either stick a Euro ---> US plug adapter on it, or cut the Euro plug off and wire on a US plug as long as you preserve polarity - plus (hot) to plus, and ground/common to ground/common.

thanks, I don't have electrical skills behind plugging in an adaptor, but it sounds like just doing that is fine, since it covers 100-230V?

edit: I'd also be curious why there would be such a big price difference between the US and EU versions of a light fixture. Does it have to do with electrical standards required?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2021

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

How do I change the bulbs in these fuckers? Every set of instructions I can find for these sorts of recessed ceiling lights is either "grasp the inner ring and rotate it" or "press against the bulb and rotate it", but the inner ring doesn't rotate, it just swivels ~30° left or right (presumably, the mountings that let it swivel also couple it to the outer ring, so it can't be rotated that way), and the bulb recesses slightly when pressed but does not rotate either -- and even if it did, the inner ring is narrower at the front than the bulb itself, so I don't see how it could be removed that way. I can't rotate the outer ring either.

At this point my best guess is "remove an adjacent ceiling tile and dismantle the entire light fixture from behind", but that can't possibly be how you're meant to do this, can it?

If they're like the lights in my ceiling you grab the outer ring and pull it out. Both the outer ring, inner ring and bulb will come down, from there you can easily separate the rings from the bulb, swap the bulb and reattach everything. The outer ring is friction fit in a can, a bit of twisting can help loosen it if it's too tight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Meow Meow Meow posted:

If they're like the lights in my ceiling you grab the outer ring and pull it out. Both the outer ring, inner ring and bulb will come down, from there you can easily separate the rings from the bulb, swap the bulb and reattach everything. The outer ring is friction fit in a can, a bit of twisting can help loosen it if it's too tight.

Ok, I'll give that a try -- that may be tricky to do without damaging the ceiling tile (which is all that's supporting the light fixture) but if that's how you do it that might explain the damage some of the other tiles have.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

actionjackson posted:

thanks, I don't have electrical skills behind plugging in an adaptor, but it sounds like just doing that is fine, since it covers 100-230V?

edit: I'd also be curious why there would be such a big price difference between the US and EU versions of a light fixture. Does it have to do with electrical standards required?

You can't cut the plug off, because it's molded into the power supply case, it most likely comes with the adapter, if not it's fed by a little LED power supply, google "LED Power Supply" and you'll get your choice of a billion cheap power supplies with a 5.5mm DC cannon plug that should work with the light as-is.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Elviscat posted:

You can't cut the plug off, because it's molded into the power supply case, it most likely comes with the adapter, if not it's fed by a little LED power supply, google "LED Power Supply" and you'll get your choice of a billion cheap power supplies with a 5.5mm DC cannon plug that should work with the light as-is.

Just check that the current matches.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

Just check that the current matches.

It's 10W, you would have to search really hard for a power supply that delivers under 10W (0.83A)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, and as mentioned above the adaptor is exactly the same in the US and EU version, it's just the plug on the end is different of course. So I should be able to use the EU plug and then a EU-US adaptor like the ones you use when travelling.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Does your drain have a black/grey plate at the bottom inside, or is that literally raw sewage?

That's not a plate, that's a sharp bend in the drain pipe itself (AFAICT). I'm guessing it's a fairly old pipe, which is why the texture is so rough and the color is so dark. I've verified that it's not raw sewage. :P

For comparison, here's a pic of the overflow pipe:

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

So I was inspecting the faucet supply lines in the bathroom, and I noticed that they were copper pipes:

Is there any reason to keep them, or can I just replace them with the usual braided stainless steel ones, e.g. these?

(I was planning on replacing the shutoff valves since one of them won't even turn anymore, so I figure I may as well replace the supply lines...)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

floWenoL posted:

So I was inspecting the faucet supply lines in the bathroom, and I noticed that they were copper pipes:

Is there any reason to keep them, or can I just replace them with the usual braided stainless steel ones, e.g. these?

(I was planning on replacing the shutoff valves since one of them won't even turn anymore, so I figure I may as well replace the supply lines...)

You can, but that malleable copper tubing is superior to any braided (SS over rubber) line and it's pre-bent for your application.

You should be able to find new valves that will accept the compression ferrule on the end of those copper lines.

You can, of course, replace them with the type of valve that accepts a braided hose if you want, it's all standard stuff in the plumbing section.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Elviscat posted:

You can, but that malleable copper tubing is superior to any braided (SS over rubber) line and it's pre-bent for your application.

You should be able to find new valves that will accept the compression ferrule on the end of those copper lines.

You can, of course, replace them with the type of valve that accepts a braided hose if you want, it's all standard stuff in the plumbing section.

Ah, thanks, good to know! I'll keep them then. Is there any reason why they're not more popular? Cost and convenience, I'm guessing?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

floWenoL posted:

Ah, thanks, good to know! I'll keep them then. Is there any reason why they're not more popular? Cost and convenience, I'm guessing?

Yeah, bending Cu is a PITA, if you mess it up it leaks, it's more expensive is pretty much the exhaustive list

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We moved into a house where the owner took the bathroom mirror (it had been made for them by a loved one), leaving this:

This is the back of the mirror I bought to put in:

Am I correct that I'll need to buy a ~24" French Cleat in order to mount this thing?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

We moved into a house where the owner took the bathroom mirror (it had been made for them by a loved one), leaving this:

This is the back of the mirror I bought to put in:

Am I correct that I'll need to buy a ~24" French Cleat in order to mount this thing?

Not certain but that doesn’t look like a French cleat to me, it looks like those eyes hang on anchors and screws

Not relevant but how are those light bulb color temps not driving you up the wall?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

floWenoL posted:

That's not a plate, that's a sharp bend in the drain pipe itself (AFAICT). I'm guessing it's a fairly old pipe, which is why the texture is so rough and the color is so dark. I've verified that it's not raw sewage. :P

For comparison, here's a pic of the overflow pipe:

The picture makes it look extremely close to the surface, like its about to overflow.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Not certain but that doesn’t look like a French cleat to me, it looks like those eyes hang on anchors and screws

Not relevant but how are those light bulb color temps not driving you up the wall?

I thought that given the position of the holes that I'd have to use a French Cleat to get the mirror into a proper position... I'm still leaning towards it

I haven't gotten around to changing the bulbs yet- it's bad, I think that the owners just stuck whatever bulb they had in there before they left

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Hey, we need to paint over an ugly darker beige colour in our entire home quickly. Are there any recommended brands of primer you guys can think of?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

redbrouw posted:

Hey, we need to paint over an ugly darker beige colour in our entire home quickly. Are there any recommended brands of primer you guys can think of?

What color is your new topcoat going to be? My opinion is that priming previously painted interior walls is unnecessary* unless you're going to or from something really extreme like a really dark or bright red, blue, orange, etc. If you prime, best case you're painting the wall twice. One prime coat and one topcoat. If you need two coats of topcoat now you're painting the wall three times. If you use a high quality paint and you're not changing to a crazy color, then most likely you'll easily cover the existing ugly beige with two coats of paint and no primer.

*Not including scenarios such as priming to block stains, seal new texture or drywall, or any number of other reasons.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Killz 2 works well if you don't want to have to think about it. Residue from stickers, stains, grease, oil based or latex, it'll prep the wall fine over any of that. Not the cheapest option though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If you NEED primer Kilz is it. Full stop. That poo poo will stick to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Final Blog Entry posted:

What color is your new topcoat going to be? My opinion is that priming previously painted interior walls is unnecessary* unless you're going to or from something really extreme like a really dark or bright red, blue, orange, etc. If you prime, best case you're painting the wall twice. One prime coat and one topcoat. If you need two coats of topcoat now you're painting the wall three times. If you use a high quality paint and you're not changing to a crazy color, then most likely you'll easily cover the existing ugly beige with two coats of paint and no primer.

*Not including scenarios such as priming to block stains, seal new texture or drywall, or any number of other reasons.

I think we're going to end up on something like very light grey with dark grey accent walls, but we don't know. My partner just hates the colour it is right now and doesn't want to rush into anything (especially since a lot of the paint places are closed right now.)