Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My KN95's came in today and they're definitely great but the nose piece is irritating the poo poo out of the bridge of my nose. Is this to be expected? I was wearing it for a couple hours this morning and took it off for a video call and my nose was pretty much red because of it.

E: also nobody have sex with their cousin's wives pls

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh good, and appropriate page number for White Chat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Posting on the face cucking page for white genocide

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

explosivo posted:

My KN95's came in today and they're definitely great but the nose piece is irritating the poo poo out of the bridge of my nose. Is this to be expected? I was wearing it for a couple hours this morning and took it off for a video call and my nose was pretty much red because of it.

The ones I got from Amazon feel a bit large if anything. They go right over the nose

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hamburlgar posted:

Yeah I’ll echo that sentiment. Just ignore/block her. Poking an insane hornets nest isn’t a good idea.

I disagree, directly challenging disinformation is cool and good and effective depending on what your goal is (it should not be to change the mind of the person being challenged)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fenarisk posted:

So the crazy QAnon wife of my cousin in Florida who I bother all the time on Facebook refuting her conspiracies got so mad that I called out her recent public non mask photos in a packed restaurant has decided to retaliate...by emailing my boss at the hospital I work at demanding they fire me for public harassment and racism, as well as inciting panic over covid despite a 99% survival rate.

She is white. I am white. But she brought up my black wife in the email as reasons for my "slandering of white women from an obviously racially motivated, BLM driven view".

My boss replied asking if she is short on masks because they can ship her some lmao.

:lol: jesus christ was a loving psychopath

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alan Smithee posted:

The ones I got from Amazon feel a bit large if anything. They go right over the nose

drat, pretty sure I just have a fat fuckin' head :smith:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

explosivo posted:

i dont think mine are real but i wear them anyway

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

i dont think mine are real but i wear them anyway

sir

that is a bra cup

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

No, but different masks will fit a bit differently. I suggest you try some more brands.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

explosivo posted:

I had to put a bandaid across the bridge of my nose for that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

explosivo posted:

Waffle! posted:

I had to put a bandaid across the bridge of my nose for that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Why not just get some of the MediDent masks that were advertised here on the forums awhile back? I got a box of their disposable N95s a long time ago and they’ve been great. Are those not available anymore?

I looked on MediDent's site..those are like $90 - $200+. I'd get em if they weren't.. Maybe I'm looking wrong?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What's the latest estimate for general availability of vaccines?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's the latest estimate for general availability of vaccines?

Summer

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

vyst posted:

Summer

What year?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
NZ has approved the Pfizer vaccine and is due to start rolling out their programme in March. Meanwhile in Australia, anti-vaxxers are conducting letterbox drops ahead of our rollout later this month.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/anti-vaxxers-letter-drop-households-before-covid-vaccine-rollout/13139476

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh good, and appropriate page number for White Chat.

Alan Smithee posted:

Posting on the face cucking page for white genocide

lol holy poo poo

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

jesus christ what a loving psychopath

the new national motto

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The security companies supplying the guards for the quarantine hotels in Western Australia have agreed to ban their quarantine staff from working second jobs, starting next Monday. The state had to impose a hard lockdown on 80% of their population last week when a quarantine security guard popped positive and it came to light that he'd been moonlighting as an Uber driver.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/wa-hotel-quarantine-security-guards-to-end-second-jobs-next-week/13139172

Things here in Melbourne are still a bit iffy, they've been been detecting traces of coronavirus in wastewater in a few unexpected places, including the suburb next to mine.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The security companies supplying the guards for the quarantine hotels in Western Australia have agreed to ban their quarantine staff from working second jobs, starting next Monday. The state had to impose a hard lockdown on 80% of their population last week when a quarantine security guard popped positive and it came to light that he'd been moonlighting as an Uber driver.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/wa-hotel-quarantine-security-guards-to-end-second-jobs-next-week/13139172

Things here in Melbourne are still a bit iffy, they've been been detecting traces of coronavirus in wastewater in a few unexpected places, including the suburb next to mine.

Has the wastewater thing ever actually come to anything? They've detected it in various cities all over the country all pandemic, and it's never AFAIK presaged positive cases cropping up. Seems more likely to me it's just non-infectious people who previously had the virus but are still shedding remnants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why do people shed viral RNA for so long, anyway? Where is it hanging out in the body before it’s excreted?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Platystemon posted:

Why do people shed viral RNA for so long, anyway? Where is it hanging out in the body before it’s excreted?

The balls.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

Has the wastewater thing ever actually come to anything? They've detected it in various cities all over the country all pandemic, and it's never AFAIK presaged positive cases cropping up. Seems more likely to me it's just non-infectious people who previously had the virus but are still shedding remnants.

They've been monitoring the known infected cases and they've detected coronavirus traces in wastewater in areas they've visited, but they've also detected traces in other areas which they can't link back to the cases we currently know about so they've asked people in those areas to be especially vigilant and get tested if they show any symptoms. It's slightly concerning, but not a massive worry.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone has been gradually disposing of old coronavirus turds from last summer.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Got slapped in the face with stupidity today when someone I know was confused that buying a new TV isn't considered essential while getting groceries and prescriptions is.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Was watching an interview with a consultant haematologist from one of our hospitals earlier and he seems to think we're going to require yearly vaccination against covid, at least in the short term.

He also said that the Pfizer vaccine has been tested on a small number of people with blood cancers but the AZ vaccine hasn't. That's fairly important as people with compromised immune systems don't have as strong of an immune response to vaccines.

Meanwhile, AstraZeneca seems to regard the optimum dosing interval for their vaccine as 8-12 weeks.

AstraZeneca posted:

“While we have not been able to properly ascertain its effect against severe disease and hospitalisation given that subjects were predominantly young, healthy adults, we do believe our vaccine will still protect against severe disease for the B1351 variant, particularly when the dosing interval is optimised to 8-12 weeks,” AstraZeneca said.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...s-covid-variant

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

sir

that is a bra cup

So they finally started manufacturing patent US3064329 then?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Melbourne Australia just got some local spread with a hotel quarantine worker popping positive even though there were no breaches of infection control protocols that they could find after scouring all the CCTV footage. The current theory is that the UK strain is so transmissible that it'll sneak out and go hunting for more people if you just open the door

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828
Sound like they're grasping for straws while the worker actually caught it in a secret gay sex party on the bad side of town and is too ashamed to mention.

a quarantine security guard popped positive and it came to light that he'd been moonlighting as an Uber driver.

Well, OK, maybe it wasn't a gay sex orgy in particular, but something at least equally as embarrasing.

Comedy option: Pay the security guards enough, and offer them full time positions, so that they don't need a second job.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Well, OK, maybe it wasn't a gay sex orgy in particular, but something at least equally as embarrasing.

Their current theory is based around the fact that one of the returned travelers in quarantine was using a medical nebuliser, they suspect that it made them exhale big fat moist plumes of super-aerosolised particles which carried the coronavirus virions way further than usual

quote:

A nebuliser is a medical device that vaporises medications into a very fine mist that can be inhaled.

"If that's breathed in, especially when it's used as medication, and someone is infectious or later tests positive, then that picks up the virus, and that mist can then be suspended in the air with very, very fine, aerosolised particles," he said at a press conference today.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-10/victoria-holiday-inn-covid-quarantine-hotel-to-close/13139224

Also there's a debate going on whether staff in the quarantine hotels should wear N95 masks instead of surgical masks, with people on the anti side trying to argue that N95s might actually increase the risk of spread because they're too difficult to wear

quote:

A panel is meeting today to examine whether or not everyone working in hotel quarantine should wear the high protection N95 masks.

But CQV commissioner Emma Cassar said if the implementation of the masks was not done well, more people could be at risk.

"They are uncomfortable to wear and they are hard for staff to wear," she said.

"We don't want to increase the risk by having staff who are poorly trained, wearing N95s and increasing the risk of contamination."

I think there's only one person in the entire state who is currently hospitalized for covid treatment, the hotel quarantine program is literally the most vital feature of our covid response right now and they're still confused about masks
:negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

got my second shot today of Pfizer

soreness is kicking in 8 hours later

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Also there's a debate going on whether staff in the quarantine hotels should wear N95 masks instead of surgical masks, with people on the anti side trying to argue that N95s might actually increase the risk of spread because they're too difficult to wear

They should not wear N95 masks, but not because Australians are dumber than the thousands of American drywallers who manage to wear them correctly.

They should wear PAPRs because that’s the level of protection appropriate for keeping a continent free of a pathogen with proven pandemic potential.

e: I forgot which thread I was in. Word of God is that cloth masks are actually eminently effective and your blokes are doing nothing wrong. My bad.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 10, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Comedy option: Pay the security guards enough, and offer them full time positions, so that they don't need a second job.

If governments were willing to take even the slightest measures that might go against capital, then this whole situation wouldn't be so serious to begin with.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

vyst posted:

Summer

Depends on the country

For example Canada will be in 2047 right after Tuvalu

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fenarisk posted:

So the crazy QAnon wife of my cousin in Florida who I bother all the time on Facebook refuting her conspiracies got so mad that I called out her recent public non mask photos in a packed restaurant has decided to retaliate...by emailing my boss at the hospital I work at demanding they fire me for public harassment and racism, as well as inciting panic over covid despite a 99% survival rate.

She is white. I am white. But she brought up my black wife in the email as reasons for my "slandering of white women from an obviously racially motivated, BLM driven view".

My boss replied asking if she is short on masks because they can ship her some lmao.

The only self own here is using Facebook, which is trash

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Any thoughts on the safety of going to an outdoor camp over the summer? It's on an island in New Hampshire, everything is outdoors only except for 2 person cabins (which are deep cleaned between campers), meals are six feet apart, people are required to wear masks if they are near people not in their party. This is in July, so there is a chance I'll be vaccinated, but probably not
I'm leaning towards not doing it, but I'd really like to

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I feel like you might be a tad too optimistic about what deep cleaning implies but this corona thing won't be over any time soon , worse places you can be than a cabin

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Any thoughts on the safety of going to an outdoor camp over the summer? It's on an island in New Hampshire, everything is outdoors only except for 2 person cabins (which are deep cleaned between campers), meals are six feet apart, people are required to wear masks if they are near people not in their party. This is in July, so there is a chance I'll be vaccinated, but probably not
I'm leaning towards not doing it, but I'd really like to

There's been massive outbreaks at sleepaway camps already

quote:

At Least 82 Coronavirus Cases Linked To Missouri Sleepaway Camp

A Christian camp in Missouri has been forced to shut down after dozens of staff, campers and counselors tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe, just north of the border with Arkansas, closed after 41 people became infected with the coronavirus, the Stone County Health Department announced last week.

Four days later, local health officials said the number of infections had doubled, to 82. Many of those who tested positive had already left the camp and returned home, with cases in at least 10 states and to multiple counties in Missouri.

quote:

Kanakuk says it introduced multiple measures and procedures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus ahead of its 2020 season, which began May 30. These included a health screening, temperature checks and a two-week self-quarantine for campers before arrival.

It's unclear whether the outbreak at the K-2 camp will affect operations at Kanakuk's other programs. In reporting the initial infections on July 2, Stone County said that five other programs underway had not reported any positive tests.

NBC News reports that parents were notified by email that their children may have been exposed to the virus, with a recommendation that "as your Kamper returns home, we recommend that you consider a 14-day self-quarantine for your child and monitor for symptoms of COVID-19."
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/10/889718877/at-least-82-coronavirus-cases-linked-to-missouri-sleepaway-camp

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Way too many motherfuckers don't even pretend to wear masks while outdoor even if they're constantly within 5-10 feet of other people. I live next to a park and I don't feel safe going through there at popular times, it's swarming with people loudly chatting with not a mask in sight

Then again I have approx 100% chance to get infected eventually due to the nature of my work so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So fwiw my s/o had Covid back in March (health care worker in the UK) and she just got an antibody test done which shows 0 antibodies detected.

Welp that’s my story.