Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
My first exposure was some mad bastard playing a VHS copy on all of the tvs at Target. I clearly remember the fight with the first angel on multiple televisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

My first exposure was in 2000 when I got all of Eva + Death/Rebirth + EoE burned on 2 cds as a gift. I installed RealPlayer to watch it and a year later, I was selling Dragonball bootlegs.

The early 2000s was a crazy time to be a fan. Our local bootlegger actually had a shop in our local mall back then where he made a killing off 2-3 episode VHSes, import video games, Gundam models, and japanese snacks. This was like, three stores down from the local Borders and a floor below Barnes and Noble.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

I always thought that everyone was congratulating him for joining the LCL when I was a kid. Then again, when I first saw this it was all in Japanese on VHS tapes shipped over here. I was 7 and no one knew any better.

My friend was Japanese and his family had moved here from Japan, and his dad would get stuff shipped over from relatives, including tapes of shows. I would watch with them because GIANT ROBOT GLOWING HAND GRAB THAT OTHER ROBOT CRUSH HIM SHINING FINGER YESSSSS and my friends dad would just sort of summarize what was going on. We had no idea going in what NGE would be. Honestly, memories of the episode going through it are really fuzzy to me. I remember the iconic dancing sequence and a couple other things, but other than that, the memory of watching NGE as a small child is vague, and only filled with frustration.

I'll never forget the day we finished that show. I was angry and confused. Why wouldn't he just kill stuff? Why wasn't he driving the robot? I would have drove it. My friend would have drove it. His dad just kept saying "I know. He's making bad choices." Then the ending happened and all the people that were gone showed up and started clapping and saying the same noises over and over again and it was just making me angry but I didn't understand it. Then scribbles happened and it just stopped. No credits on the recording, just static. I looked over at my friend, and his mouth was sort of open and his eyes seemed dead. I looked up at his dad and asked what happened.

I'll never for the rest of my life forget the cold, empty look on his face as he looked down at me and said, in the softest voice I ever heard from him "And to all the children, congratulations."

If it wasn't for my friend literally getting on his knees and pleading me to come over and try out this awesome new show that wasn't an idiot wasting his robot i swear bro please come over I'd have quit anime forever. Luckily (or unluckily) that show my friend wanted me to see was GaoGaiGar, and I was saved/lost, however you want to look at anime fandom :v:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I finished watching it with my boyfriend today and he quietly asked "...can you please make it make sense" after ep 26 ended and I gleefully responded "nope!"

Thankfully 1) I didn't get dumped and 2) He's down to watch Death/Rebirth and EoE. If he isn't hooked by EoE I won't try to get him into the Rebuilds because we're in a LDR and FaceTime is limited so I've gotta prioritize.

So glad he stuck with it after realizing I conned his rear end by saying "oh yeah, it's a robot show, you'll love it!"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

the escape goat posted:

I finished watching it with my boyfriend today and he quietly asked "...can you please make it make sense" after ep 26 ended and I gleefully responded "nope!"

Thankfully 1) I didn't get dumped and 2) He's down to watch Death/Rebirth and EoE. If he isn't hooked by EoE I won't try to get him into the Rebuilds because we're in a LDR and FaceTime is limited so I've gotta prioritize.

So glad he stuck with it after realizing I conned his rear end by saying "oh yeah, it's a robot show, you'll love it!"
I know this is blasphemy, but if someone new to this were to watch it, I’d recommend skipping 25/26 and just watching EoE straight after 24. If they wanted a little more, I’d tell them to go back and watch 25/26 or just move on to the Rebuilds.

I just think the TV ending is so unsatisfying as a conclusion to the literal plot of the show and EoE delivers incredibly on that front.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

25/26 do just straight-up tell you what the show is about though, so they're useful if you're confused.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you’re watching them in one shot skip Death and Rebirth and just go straight to EoE, the 24 minutes of new animation that make up Rebirth are the beginning of EoE. Death will just recap everything you just watched in the series, which would be helpful if you’d been away for a while but is less necessary if it’s still fresh in your mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
absolutely do not skip 25 and 26, jesus christ

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Animated Drawings To Replace Webmasters > Neon Genesis Evangelion megathread: absolutely do not skip 25 and 26, jesus christ

f'reals though I don't see a reason to feel like 25/26 are unsatisfying when you have EoE sitting right there to wrap everything up. Go right to it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:geno::Jesus Christ, it’s an Eva episode-skipper

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

absolutely do (not) skip 25 and 26, jesus christ

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I know this is blasphemy, but if someone new to this were to watch it, I’d recommend skipping 25/26 and just watching EoE straight after 24. If they wanted a little more, I’d tell them to go back and watch 25/26 or just move on to the Rebuilds.

I just think the TV ending is so unsatisfying as a conclusion to the literal plot of the show and EoE delivers incredibly on that front.

Do not listen to this poster.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I don't even get skipping them. Watched the whole series for the first time only a couple weeks ago and if you've made it to 24, you're pretty much all in at that point. If they're disappointed you can just immediately watch EoE.

I liked them, and I think the upbeat feel of 26 just made EoE have that much more of an impact.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’ve showed Eva to many, many people. I always do the full series, then Rebirth, then EoE

Why the gently caress does anyone think skipping 25 and 26 is a good idea oh my god, that’s just an insult to the viewer’s intelligence. I do appreciate that you’re willing to admit how blasphemous that idea is though.

He did catch the frame where Asuka has an eyepatch and is looking forward to how that comes about.

After digesting it for a few hours, he digs 25 and 26 a lot more. We’ll watch Rebirth next weekend then EoE a few weekends after that.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 8, 2021

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I miss the days when I completely forgot about 3.0 + 1.0

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I feel like it's easy to tell someone to skip 25/26 when you view End o Evangelion as a replacement for them. I know that when I first got into the show that's how I was sold on EoE and was encouraged to skip those two episodes to get to the "real ending" quicker.

Dumb internet lore bullshit being what it is, it wasn't until my 2nd or 3rd watch through that I actually came to appreciate what 26 set out to do.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The first time I saw 25 and 26, I went in knowing their reputation. Afterwards I was like "Those are the episodes that everyone hated? That was amazing!"

As a side-note, I just guided my friend, who's a big Twin Peaks and Lynch fan, through Evangelion, and it's one of his favorite things he's ever watched. For comparison, he likened episodes 25 and 26 to the last episode of Twin Peaks season 2, and End of Evangelion to Twin Peaks season 3 episode 8 (which is, uh, intense).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JazzFlight posted:

You’re not entirely wrong but with easy access to EoE, there is absolutely no reason why they should do this. If one hates 25/26, cool, EoE will be the endgame.

If they loved 25/26, poo poo is going to be all the much more powerful when everything starts tumbling down

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling dowwwwwwn

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I've been re-watching all of Evangelion for the first time in a decade or so and I think I actually like it a lot more this time around now that I'm not just sitting there going "Ugh what's with all this talking instead of fighting!" and giving more consideration to the characterization of everyone instead of just dismissing shinji as a whiny baby.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nuebot posted:

I've been re-watching all of Evangelion for the first time in a decade or so and I think I actually like it a lot more this time around now that I'm not just sitting there going "Ugh what's with all this talking instead of fighting!" and giving more consideration to the characterization of everyone instead of just dismissing shinji as a whiny baby.

This was more or less my experience when I rewatched it recently for the first time since childhood.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Oh, boy, that song at the end of Rebuild 2 is pretty terrible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Narzack posted:

fuckin what

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Narzack posted:

this definitely ain't it

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Not the credits song, the one that plays during the final ten minutes

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Narzack posted:

Not the credits song, the one that plays during the final ten minutes
The one with like, the little kids singing in Japanese? Yeah, I wasn't really a fan either, I would have much preferred another English-language song like in End of Eva or the dramatic choir singing like in Rebuild 3.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

The one with like, the little kids singing in Japanese? Yeah, I wasn't really a fan either, I would have much preferred another English-language song like in End of Eva or the dramatic choir singing like in Rebuild 3.

Yeah, thats the one. The kid choir part wasn't as bad as the beginning with the really off-key atonal caterwauling

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Narzack posted:

Yeah, thats the one. The kid choir part wasn't as bad as the beginning with the really off-key atonal caterwauling

Tsubasa wo Kudasai? Japanese pop song from 1970 that translates to “Please Give Me Wings”. :v: Of the two songs with kids singing in Rebuild 2, the song during the Unit 3 slaughter (Kyō no Hi wa Sayōnara) didn’t do it for me as music but it’s commonly played at school graduations. They were both chosen because they were thematically appropriate.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, it's when Shinji is trying to pull Rei out. I just really didn't like the voice or singing of the person soloing at the beginning of the song.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crossposting from wonderfest:

Midjack posted:

Godzilla Evangelion, coming this spring:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

To be fair to all our younger selfs, Shinji is a big whiny baby, even if he rightfully should be.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

if there happens to be any anime/joshi crossover fans here, I'm cracking up at Maki Itoh singing A Cruel Angel's Thesis

and stretching beforehand, haaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAlmvhi0UY

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

shinji is super heroic because hes a scared peebaby who still goes out to get absolutely fuckin wrecked including basically dying like three times just so he can try and help

its like how krillin keeps showing up to fights even though he is basically guaranteed to die and has doed twice before except shinji is a lil kid instead of a grown man

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Y'all talked me into it and im watching it.

Last time i watched anime was the first time Adult Swim ran FLCL.

Edit:
Subtitles: We have to celebrate in style tonight.
V/O: WE ARE GONNA PAAAAAAAR-TAAAAAY!

UwUnabomber fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 11, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fereydun posted:

shinji is super heroic because hes a scared peebaby who still goes out to get absolutely fuckin wrecked including basically dying like three times just so he can try and help

its like how krillin keeps showing up to fights even though he is basically guaranteed to die and has doed twice before except shinji is a lil kid instead of a grown man

Krillin and Yamcha are my favorite Z Fighters because not only did they keep trying for a concerning amount of time despite being mostly regular rear end people against, and along side, monsters: but they were also the ones smart enough to recognize this and just get out early. After dying like twice each.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regarde Aduck posted:

My first Eva experience was buying 2 episodes at a time on vhs

You young shits

Same except my friend bought them and I just watched them lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Regarde Aduck posted:

My first Eva experience was buying 2 episodes at a time on vhs

You young shits

Hel yeah tapes sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The whole whiny Shinji thing is something that I never really got, even as a younger dude. He's a child, with a dead mother, an AWFUL father, stuck into a nightmare war that he doesn't understand or have any training at all for, he's abused and exploited by adults, tortured mentally by Asuka and beaten up by his peers, nearly dies over and over, is forced by his father to explode someone who finally starts showing kindness, and STILL keeps getting back in the Eva. AND HE'S A CHILD. It never made sense to me, the way people hate him.

EDIT: Rebuild 3 should be called EVERYONE IS A TOTAL DICK TO SHINJI.