Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Krillin's probably also the most sensible of the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Krillin's probably also the most sensible of the lot.

Nah, Yamcha's definitely the most sensible since he stopped even showing up to fights (except for the Cell Games) after getting impaled by Gero. Plus he capitalized on being one of the strongest humans on the planet. Krillin kept throwing himself into danger long after it was established he was out of his league and then on top of that he retired into being a loving beat cop.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Nah, Yamcha's definitely the most sensible since he stopped even showing up to fights (except for the Cell Games) after getting impaled by Gero. Plus he capitalized on being one of the strongest humans on the planet. Krillin kept throwing himself into danger long after it was established he was out of his league and then on top of that he retired into being a loving beat cop.

Counterpoint: He is effectively immune to bullets, thus allowing him to keep a lot of other people out of dangerous situations. Plus he knows his wife loves it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah um, on the list of mundane poo poo to do with your twenty-something years of honed godlike martial arts prowess, “being a cop” is actually pretty respectable imho (since this isn’t the real world) cause it lets you get a steady 9-5 for your family and being able to facetank bullets means you can even keep your perps safe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

17 probably has the better idea being a park ranger, especially since poachers running up against what's basically Superman without warning probably never gets old.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fans can do some cool mods sometimes. It's impressive just how much modded stuff Xenoverse 2 has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znCor9Is91Q

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So did the singer of the Latin American dub just pass away today? Or is that a fake?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah um, on the list of mundane poo poo to do with your twenty-something years of honed godlike martial arts prowess, “being a cop” is actually pretty respectable imho (since this isn’t the real world) cause it lets you get a steady 9-5 for your family and being able to facetank bullets means you can even keep your perps safe.

But you're still waging war on the proletariat

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

But you're still waging war on the proletariat

(since this isn’t the real world)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fictional cops are bastards

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SirKibbles posted:

So did the singer of the Latin American dub just pass away today? Or is that a fake?

I wish it was a fake, but it's not. Ricardo Silva passed away from COVID complications. It's a big loss, he sung a lot of songs that were part of the childhoods of Latin American children, but probably none as important as Cha La Head Cha La. He will be missed.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Fans can do some cool mods sometimes. It's impressive just how much modded stuff Xenoverse 2 has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znCor9Is91Q

I love the style of Future Trunks with long hair and that transformation here is incredible.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

bring back pikkon you cowards

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ramadu posted:

bring back pikkon you cowards

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pikkon is cool. Plus they could do an Avo and Kado where Pikkon announces that thanks to his hellish training he's now surpassed Super Saiyan 2 and every can say "haha yeah bro that's great that still matters 100%" to him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

He has to actively use his ki to block to tank bullets unlock Saiyans and other aliens who are naturally durable. Which is why he got shot cause he was all out of practice. Not the absolute best idea, while baseball is a much better career choice.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Goku also got hurt by a bullet in Super to show specifically he was out of practice.

Bullets also hurt Goku in Dragon Ball, they just were never something mortally dangerous. Krillin and Roshi also got shot all the time and they did the same thing to them that they did to Goku.

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

gag bullets have no lethal force behind them

gag punches, on the other hand, seem infinitely powerful

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
Dragonball Thread: I purchased a set of 15 days of dragonball socks, I'm on day 5 but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be:

Can anyone identify this? I have consulted the two biggest dragonball nerds I know and they are both drawing a blank. It doesn't seem like these are the characters on goku's gi. :shrug:

Days 1-4 were goku, dragonball, the dragon, and buttery frieza (gold frieza? idk I haven't seen super yet).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nanigans posted:

Goku also got hurt by a bullet in Super to show specifically he was out of practice.

Bullets also hurt Goku in Dragon Ball, they just were never something mortally dangerous. Krillin and Roshi also got shot all the time and they did the same thing to them that they did to Goku.

Once Dragon Ball got a little less gagg-y (Launch/Lunch/whatever gun gags were the source before), Goku was always hurt when he was shot, but like a mosquito bite, just like it causing an ouchy red spot in Super, so his durability didn't change, he was just poo poo at auto blocking due to being out of practice, which was the build-up to ultra instinct. Krillen was hurt a lot more with a giant gush of blood, just on his arm and not anywhere serious so the Super writers saw them with that kind of default difference. Goku hit his head on a rock from a cliff as a baby, he's just durable by default.

The ki-blocking has always been a thing; also involving Krillen, Vegeta had to intentionally lower himself down just so Krillen could put him via near death, for instance.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Also that time Kuririn threw a rock at Goku's head while Super Saiyan and it seemed to hurt a bit

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it always hurts for Goku
it just never HARMS Goku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

guns hurting goku is bullshit and you will NOT gaslight me

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

no no no
HURT

as in Goku goes "ow ouch hey", and he does this for pretty much everything that ever hurts him, powerless pinch to killing blow; it's really rare for him to nosell pain and it's even a frequent gag he'll show pain response after noselling it

but rarely does any of it HARM him other than tear his clothes like a bad hentai

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Goku goes ooh ow the same way you ooh ow when you get hurt in a video game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Interesting trivia I had no idea about!
https://twitter.com/CoolTaff16/status/1359177058526593026

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TheHan posted:

Goku goes ooh ow the same way you ooh ow when you get hurt in a video game.

I like Nozawa's little "ay-ta-ta-ta" hurt sound when he gets a goof injury

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

she invented time travel so no poo poo, next trivia piece

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darko posted:

Once Dragon Ball got a little less gagg-y (Launch/Lunch/whatever gun gags were the source before), Goku was always hurt when he was shot, but like a mosquito bite, just like it causing an ouchy red spot in Super, so his durability didn't change, he was just poo poo at auto blocking due to being out of practice, which was the build-up to ultra instinct. Krillen was hurt a lot more with a giant gush of blood, just on his arm and not anywhere serious so the Super writers saw them with that kind of default difference. Goku hit his head on a rock from a cliff as a baby, he's just durable by default.

The ki-blocking has always been a thing; also involving Krillen, Vegeta had to intentionally lower himself down just so Krillen could put him via near death, for instance.

It was a similar out of practice thing with both of them. Goku got a boo boo while Krillin bled a bit because of a combination of their base strength levels being wildly different and the fact that Goku was still training on the side while Krillin had pretty much quit cold turkey. It's what prompted Krillin's whole big training thing on the side where he re-shaved his head and started lifting and sparring with 18 in his yard.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
does this happen to goku when he gets shot in the eye

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Goku is the lady stomping on grapes

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I’m at peace with Krillin but it’d be cool if him sparring with 18 really pushed him ahead since the androids are almost SSGod level and have infinite stamina

I just wish the dude would get some benefit from ‘trained/trains with Goku, has been in tons of do-or-dies, is 18’s husband, have access to Whis’ etc etc

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Black August posted:

I’m at peace with Krillin but it’d be cool if him sparring with 18 really pushed him ahead since the androids are almost SSGod level and have infinite stamina

I just wish the dude would get some benefit from ‘trained/trains with Goku, has been in tons of do-or-dies, is 18’s husband, have access to Whis’ etc etc

Well, pushed him ahead of what, exactly? He was able to hang with the Saiyans in tournament style bouts(he beat Gohan in their sparring, and he nearly beat Goku and pushed Goku to the point of nearly accidentally vaporizing him) and he eliminated a couple of people in the ToP before being knocked off, and the thing that knocked him off was a sneak attack. He does pretty well for himself, all things considered.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah and I want more of that, more of the integral support role like the Saiyan Saga where he could punch above his weight class and was instrumental to the wins

My deep wish is that he gets in a kill on Freiza in a finale arc

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013

get me HQ! posted:

Dragonball Thread: I purchased a set of 15 days of dragonball socks, I'm on day 5 but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be:

Can anyone identify this? I have consulted the two biggest dragonball nerds I know and they are both drawing a blank. It doesn't seem like these are the characters on goku's gi. :shrug:

Days 1-4 were goku, dragonball, the dragon, and buttery frieza (gold frieza? idk I haven't seen super yet).

It just says “Goku”. It is the Kanji he had on his gi on Namek.

titty fat pizza fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Butterflysmasher posted:

gag bullets have no lethal force behind them

gag punches, on the other hand, seem infinitely powerful

Gag punches have a set level of actual harm though, you always just have a comical bump even if you get sent flying around the world.

Krillin throwing the rock seemed like more of a demonstration that Goku's resistance to damage and in general in this series is explicitly active; Goku still has a human-ish anatomy and senses despite his insane abilities, and one of the reasons why catching people off guard actually hurts. That said, their bodies CAN take a lot of punishment without actual injury (hence why Chi-Chi can survive Goku not knowing his own strength at times) but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. It's an explicit contrast to beings like Superman whose powers are always 'on', or even say, Android 16, who's made of metal.

Black August posted:

no no no
HURT

as in Goku goes "ow ouch hey", and he does this for pretty much everything that ever hurts him, powerless pinch to killing blow; it's really rare for him to nosell pain and it's even a frequent gag he'll show pain response after noselling it

but rarely does any of it HARM him other than tear his clothes like a bad hentai

Put that way, it also comes off as a character thing. Like, Vegeta's got some bad cases of toxic masculinity through an alien royalty lens and even now isn't the type to admit to pain, and the various humans generally want to at least come off as tough guys, but Goku's never had anything to prove by that and is always open and sincere about his feelings and reactions. (Also why he has hilariously bad social graces especially in formal settings yet is still pretty likeable. Also a terrible liar) Goku CAN absolutely power through pain when the stakes are really high and he's in Serious Goku mode, but that's usually because he's got other things to focus on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No the rock hurt Goku because it was funny

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gag rock penetrates defenses.
Same how Arale destroyed vegeta. Because its funny.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
there's room for both a watsonian and doylist explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lunatic Sledge posted:

there's room for both a watsonian and doylist explanation

Also the Watsonian one is usually the more interesting one