Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

lol how did they not realize they had a winner

The first Star Trek had lasted only three years, there had not been a single hit sci-fi show in the US since (Battlestar Galactica was probably the closest and it was too expensive to last beyond a season and a lovely "let's put them on modern day Earth to save money" spin-off) and it was absolute chaos on the set for the first two seasons which is part of why they're so patchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Because, at the time, I doubt star trek was the seemingly eternal cultural fixture and more just a show that had existed, no longer existed, and had a few movies made of it. Sci fi reboots fail far more often than they succeed.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
TNG being great made the original series even better for being in the same universe.

gently caress it, let's just talk about Star Trek until something Star Wars happens

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Glottis posted:

TNG being great made the original series even better for being in the same universe.

gently caress it, let's just talk about Star Trek until something Star Wars happens

Funnily enough I think a large reason the recent Trek stuff has been so bad has been that it's trying to ape Star Wars. At least in the sense of being about big explosions and gunfights and such. Good Trek is generally more low-key than Wars. Even the celebrated epic final battle from The Wrath of Khan is a reserved submarine hunt between two ships instead of a Star Wars style fast dogfight between massive squadrons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

galagazombie posted:

Funnily enough I think a large reason the recent Trek stuff has been so bad has been that it's trying to ape Star Wars. At least in the sense of being about big explosions and gunfights and such. Good Trek is generally more low-key than Wars. Even the celebrated epic final battle from The Wrath of Khan is a reserved submarine hunt between two ships instead of a Star Wars style fast dogfight between massive squadrons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAZPiYUGqMU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Seems like this was a long time coming but Pascal's sister coming out as trans probably sealed the deal.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1359694915278499840?s=19

Good riddance.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mat Cauthon posted:

Seems like this was a long time coming but Pascal's sister coming out as trans probably sealed the deal.

Good riddance.

I gather she also just did a holocaust denial. Given they nixed her own show by December, they may have just been willing to not have Dune appear again, but it's got that they have to explicitly say she's done.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Glottis posted:

Just enjoy this time in between the two biggest tidal waves of star wars stuff ever

e:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Good riddance.

both dunes not renewed in the same year, harsh

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Way to poo poo the bed on your cushy acting gig with the biggest media empire in the world.

Please welcome our newest Fox News correspondent...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Crackbone posted:

Way to poo poo the bed on your cushy acting gig with the biggest media empire in the world.

Also, probably headed to WWE to become women's champion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Davros1 posted:

I think the pay also has to be a factor. You'll see a Brit actor leave a British show after six episodes because "they don't want to get tied to one role", then come to the US and do twenty-two episodes a year for seven years.

To be fair, six episodes for a British show is more or less equivalent to three seasons for an American show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Don’t most people consider the first season pretty terrible? I haven’t seen it since I was a kid but I thought it got off to a pretty rocky start

Yeah first season had more clunkers than good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And yeah, it's hard to understate how crazy the original TNG set was, with increasingly senile Roddenberry and his lawyers having crazy demands and sexual harassment that would unfortunately be a recurring theme. (the reason Terry Farrel left DS9)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

While it's true that Star Trek enjoyed movie success in the 1980s, it wasn't a foregone conclusion that a new tv show could succeed (they'd worked to bring the show back before Star Wars was released and after its success pivoting those efforts into The Motion Picture). ST:TNG was not backed by a network which at the time was still pretty important for a show's success. Paramount took a pretty big risk in directly licensing the show to stations.

It's also kind of crazy that in keeping with TV show schedules at the time, they did 25 shows per season and it was pretty expensive to produce.

If I were Patrick Stewart signing a contract in 1987, I'd probably bet the show would only last a season.

(I watched Encounter At Farpoint on my local ABC affiliate over antenna. Of all of the big three networks in my area, it was the worst so it was pretty hard trying to figure out what was going on. Somehow before the second episode and before the Internet, I managed to find the satellite feed Paramount used for networks and with my parents 6 foot receiver dish, watch the rest of the series and all of DS9 that way)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A major problem was that Roddenberry brought on a bunch of old guys who had done the show in the 60s and assumed TV production still worked the same way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

She can't even do that because she's a charisma vacuum.

Her career was dead in the water when she got the role on the Mandalorian so she basically took the kind of miracle that a lot of actors wait their entire careers for and tossed it in the garbage.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Wait, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Cause this is exactly what I'm talking about in regards to modern Star Trek missing the point entirely. Of course this is why I think Star Trek generally doesn't make for good video games while Star Wars does. It's hard to make an interactive experience based around sitting in chairs discussing the ethical considerations of saving the Cardassian Legislature from the Photonic Entity. It's easy to make a game about laser sword fights or "Star Fox but with X-Wings".

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Actual question: does artoo ever roll around on three wheels in the sequels?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Wait, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Cause this is exactly what I'm talking about in regards to modern Star Trek missing the point entirely. Of course this is why I think Star Trek generally doesn't make for good video games while Star Wars does. It's hard to make an interactive experience based around sitting in chairs discussing the ethical considerations of saving the Cardassian Legislature from the Photonic Entity. It's easy to make a game about laser sword fights or "Star Fox but with X-Wings".

The adventure games are pretty solid- if you went more the old-PC-game route of a slow in-depth story-driven thing (maybe even an RPG) rather than fast action you could do something cool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

She can't even do that because she's a charisma vacuum.

Her career was dead in the water when she got the role on the Mandalorian so she basically took the kind of miracle that a lot of actors wait their entire careers for and tossed it in the garbage.

She'd spent her whole career either in small roles in big things (Fast and the Furious 6) or lead roles in really lovely DTV action films. Haywire was the only thing that didn't quite fit. She was, by nature, a very limited performer who was going to have a limited career, and, yeah, she struck gold with an extremely lucrative role that was within her very small wheelhouse. And she threw it away in an extremely stupid way for very stupid reasons.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So funny how much easy money she threw away because she couldnt stop posting

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They had to dry roddenberry out on a week cycle. They sent him to rehab in the hills on the weekends

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

Actual question: does artoo ever roll around on three wheels in the sequels?

Is R2 even in the sequels?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is R2 even in the sequels?

He is but I don't believe he has quite as prominent a role (the little ball droid BB-8 kind of took his place).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From Force Awakens:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

He is but I don't believe he has quite as prominent a role (the little ball droid BB-8 kind of took his place).

Ahem, it's "little white cuck ball".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

idk if it has been discussed, but BB-8 is loving lame as hell and looks stupid when he moves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

idk if it has been discussed, but BB-8 is loving lame as hell and looks stupid when he moves.

It's also just unclear what his place in the story is supposed to be. R2 is Luke's cute and loyal sidekick (who also saves everyone repeatedly).

BB is Poe's companion. They're separated at the start of TFA and he hangs out with Rey for a bit, but then she gets kidnapped and he returns to sit in Poe's backseat.

Then that same cycle repeats in TLJ. He starts with Poe, then goes on Finn and Rose's adventure (it's unclear why). He saves Rose and Finn, further making them look ineffective as characters. He's reunited with Rey at the end of TLJ, which is strange because he's definitely Poe's droid and has spent all of 5 minutes with Rey.

For some reason Poe leaves BB with Rey when she's doing her Jedi training. He's also kinda just there at the end as Rey takes on the Skywalker identity, despite there being a pretty obvious alternative astromech droid that would make more thematic sense to be there as she takes up that mantle.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
BB-8 doesn’t “belong” to anyone. He’s not a slave. I’m not sure why it matters who he is spending time with anymore than it does matter who the human characters are spending time with

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Honestly surprised they didn't do the Transformers movie thing and blow up R2D2 to sell new toys.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

BB-8 doesn’t “belong” to anyone. He’s not a slave. I’m not sure why it matters who he is spending time with anymore than it does matter who the human characters are spending time with

droids are definitely slaves

slavery is just everywhere in star wars

if bb-8 doesn't hang out with poe anymore, poe literally has to go buy a new bb-8 to help fly his fighter

X-wings are powered by slavery

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 12, 2021

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Then that same cycle repeats in TLJ. He starts with Poe, then goes on Finn and Rose's adventure (it's unclear why).

Rian Johnson originally wrote it as a Poe & Finn adventure, but forgot to move BB-8 when he replaced Poe with Rose.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BB8 is better servers doing adventures than running around.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

droids are definitely slaves

slavery is just everywhere in star wars

if bb-8 doesn't hang out with poe anymore, poe literally has to go buy a new bb-8 to help fly his fighter

X-wings are powered by slavery

Droids depicted in Star Wars are mostly, and often, slaves. But not always. IG-88 for instance, is not a slave. I’m not convinced BB-8 is a slave either.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A big part of bb8 floating from person to person is that the sequels are very interested in objects in a modular sort of way

Everyone gets a turn in the falcon's cockpit and in the cannon chair. Rey flies red 5, finn wears poe's jacket. BB8 is in and out of xwings but R2 is swapped out in the final space battle. The blue lightsaber is passed from person to person and Luke has it in his projection etc

It's a very lego logic kind of trilogy where pieces and parts are constantly swapped around. Maybe that's inevitable since disney is hellbent on turning the props into religious icons.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My main star wars fanboy complaint is that the the OT and the Prequels imply that R2 is a force-sensitive droid, and the Sequel trilogy basically drops him as a character instead of doing something cool with that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

How do the prequels imply that R2 is a force sensitive droid, OP

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

It doesn't really matter, but it's annoying/noteworthy because it is unclear. If BB8 were just a dude, it would stick out how he'd join quest party xy seemingly arbitrarily.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What if (some) droids actually liked their lot in life

Not every droid had a restraining bolt, and many seemed to evolve far beyond their programming and were in fact essentially human

If you think droids are slaves, go give the comic where Artoo solos a Star Destroyer to save Threepio in Marvel Star Wars #36 (2017) a read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Would the ones that like it like it because they've been able to have what you or I would consider a better life and rejected it? Or would they like it because they just don't know any better?