Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Super Waffle posted:

Three more boxes done! Heres the whole family picture, before they go out to customers

Two are walnut with maple splines, third is walnut with bloodwood splines.

Those are all very sharp, elegant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Leperflesh posted:

I am wondering about the splines on the lower edge of the lid. Is the wood of the spline exposed, or is there a superthin sliver of the primary wood covering them? I can't quite tell by looking at the pics.

There is a thin sliver of the primary wood, yes. The lid was cut off after assembly

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I started flattening those old 2x4s. Kinda wish it was just the wood but the holes do add a certain character. Unsure what's useable and what's not. Gonna make a pair of nightstands for my partner and I. Hopefully there'll be enough good stuff to make both.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm having a hard time sanding a sculpture down evenly, the part with the partial sapwood seems to be going too quick even though I'm going with the grain. It's not visible to the eye but my hands can feel the slight ripples or waves. Sand less and more evenly through the grits? More on the lower grits and less fine sanding? Embrace it?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Our hands are like scientifically sensitive. Really sensitive, fam. Embrace the difference and call it character.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm having a hard time sanding a sculpture down evenly, the part with the partial sapwood seems to be going too quick even though I'm going with the grain. It's not visible to the eye but my hands can feel the slight ripples or waves. Sand less and more evenly through the grits? More on the lower grits and less fine sanding? Embrace it?
Is the sapwood sanding easier or what? Usually it is the same hardness as the heart but sometimes it gets punky and a little rotten and softer. Or do you mean the difference between hard and soft growth rings in a softwood? If the second, there's not a great solution that I know of. A sanding block helps if it's a flat-ish surface so you don't dip into the softer rings as much. Always sand evenly through the girts-if its worse at a lower grits, could you start with a higher grit like 100 or 120 instead of 60 or 80?

Some 150yr old pocket holes in the wild:

This huge moulding is all veneered on the outside.

I'm always amazed at how damned good and easy old veneerwork always looks. Is hammer veneering the secret, or did they just have a lot more patience and practice?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

Our hands are like scientifically sensitive. Really sensitive, fam. Embrace the difference and call it character.

It's not rustic its Organic! But yea good call, otherwise I'll give it the 2inch test forever and go crazy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is the sapwood sanding easier or what? Usually it is the same hardness as the heart but sometimes it gets punky and a little rotten and softer. Or do you mean the difference between hard and soft growth rings in a softwood? If the second, there's not a great solution that I know of. A sanding block helps if it's a flat-ish surface so you don't dip into the softer rings as much. Always sand evenly through the girts-if its worse at a lower grits, could you start with a higher grit like 100 or 120 instead of 60 or 80?

Ah yea I meant the difference in the rings. I have to start lower to get out any chainsaw trauma, and usually blast through with a grinder. I'm using a die grinder with sanding flaps and an orbital for the inner holes. I have no problem with any outside curves, it's the tight concave shapes that give me problems. A small sanding block actually might work decent for bridging the rings, I just figured an orbital would be firm enough but the soft stuff goes soooo easy and the hard darker lines just....dont

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Those are all very sharp, elegant.

Thanks! :buddy:

I've got 4 more in progress this week, 2 mahogany, 1 cherry, and 1 walnut. Got another potential order for my next batch as well.

I also raised prices, $80 for maple or cherry, $100 for walnut or mahogany.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That still seems cheap for that level of work.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

That still seems cheap for that level of work.

Oh definitely, but I'm frankly amazed people are even willing to pay $75 for these. But at least for now I'm not looking to make a living, just enough to fund my hobby while I look for a job.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Super Waffle posted:

Oh definitely, but I'm frankly amazed people are even willing to pay $75 for these. But at least for now I'm not looking to make a living, just enough to fund my hobby while I look for a job.

What's your cost/time per box? Definitely feels like you can start creeping up the price.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Get your mind blown when you double it and they still move! Having your work pay for itself feels great though, no doubt

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
put a $100 price tag on the bottom. if anyone picks it up to look at the price and makes a face go over to them and say "that price is for the rubes, i like you so i'll give it to you for $75".

if they dont make a face and pay $100 then let them

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Family friend discount? Hell yea there is its twice as much :moonrio:

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 11, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I can't even give my knitting projects away any more, I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have people willing to reimburse the cost of materials on my hobby. Congratulations on that!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

darkspider42 posted:

What's your cost/time per box? Definitely feels like you can start creeping up the price.

Time is irrelevant if you are not optimizing it. As a customer should you pay more because it took someone 4 hours to make something that could take someone else 1 hour? If you are serious in improving your margins then look at improving your workflow before increasing your cost to account for your time.

You have to look at the market, look on Etsy and boxes like that range all over the place from $30-$100 so I think his prices are pretty good. The only thing I would suggest is pricing them all the same, people don't know the cost difference of Maple/Cherry/Walnut and if you are batching them out you can share the material cost/time. Bump them all up to $100 and your $/h just went up without pricing yourself out of the market. Of course if you dip into exotic woods then prices will vary.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

The only thing I would suggest is pricing them all the same, people don't know the cost difference of Maple/Cherry/Walnut and if you are batching them out you can share the material cost/time.
I was actually just looking at Room & Board as a comparison for something I was pricing and the way they markup for walnut is nuts. A walnut table cost $700 (50%!)more than a maple table when there's 35/40bf of materials total in the table. So like $120 of materials for maple and $250 for walnut, and I'm sure they get much better prices on lumber than I do. There's usually more waste with walnut, but still it's pretty nuts.

So charge $50% more for the walnut ones apparently?

Price things based on what people are willing to pay-which doesn't have any relation to what your actual time/costs are.

cruft posted:

I can't even give my knitting projects away any more, I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have people willing to reimburse the cost of materials on my hobby. Congratulations on that!
Save them all for next year's HCH secret santa and foist them off on unwitting craft goons!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

A lot of crafters underprice their work and it hurts sales. Selling at the same price as mass produced stuff signals that it's in the same category, whereas pricing like art better attracts buyers who are willing/able to spend more.

Ymmv during a pandemic & your local market

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I may have crossed a line into the dark side. I found a micro CNC on Amazon Warehouse deals and I couldn't resist after watching a few videos. I could never carve 1/4 as well as this bot, and I can use it to make my projects look very spiffy. But do I post about this here? Its for wood only. Or am I a tech man now and I have to post in the 3d printer thread? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P08mZFvPKkE

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonerGhost posted:

A lot of crafters underprice their work and it hurts sales. Selling at the same price as mass produced stuff signals that it's in the same category, whereas pricing like art better attracts buyers who are willing/able to spend more.

Ymmv during a pandemic & your local market
This is very true. I was thinking of making some small production turning kind of stuff to sell on etsy but the prices really shocked me with how low they were. I guess the answer is list stuff for what I need to make money and see if any of it sells, but like, who wants to sell something for $20 that definitely took a few hours to make?

E: I've thought about making a thread about crafting for fun and profit or something since it seems to pop up occasionally in different threads. Is there any interest in that?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is very true. I was thinking of making some small production turning kind of stuff to sell on etsy but the prices really shocked me with how low they were. I guess the answer is list stuff for what I need to make money and see if any of it sells, but like, who wants to sell something for $20 that definitely took a few hours to make?

etsy seems to me to be 98% people dropshipping from aliexpress and pretending its "home made"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

etsy seems to me to be 98% people dropshipping from aliexpress and pretending its "home made"

I got fooled on one of these for a Christmas present that made me feel like a real dum dum.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I may have crossed a line into the dark side. I found a micro CNC on Amazon Warehouse deals and I couldn't resist after watching a few videos. I could never carve 1/4 as well as this bot, and I can use it to make my projects look very spiffy. But do I post about this here? Its for wood only. Or am I a tech man now and I have to post in the 3d printer thread? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P08mZFvPKkE

There is a CNC thread that allows us wood cutters to talk with crazy machinist about our computer apprentices.

If you are going to cut MDF make sure you have GREAT dust collection. With hardwoods you get chips instead of dust but MDF...

Here is my wood cutter :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

This thread moves to fast sometimes

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: I've thought about making a thread about crafting for fun and profit or something since it seems to pop up occasionally in different threads. Is there any interest in that?

Turnings sold as art fetches a lot more. I do like that etsy will show what is high selling and gives a broad spectrum of pricing and quality. It's fairly easy to get an idea of pricing in an online market, local markets will of course vary.

I'd be interested in that thread. It is a hot topic among makers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

There is a CNC thread that allows us wood cutters to talk with crazy machinist about our computer apprentices.

If you are going to cut MDF make sure you have GREAT dust collection. With hardwoods you get chips instead of dust but MDF...

Here is my wood cutter :)

:eyepop:
Computer Apprentice, I like that. Lucky my dust collection system has recently been upgraded to a shop vac from the previous system "old bloom head". Off to the CNC thread!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd follow that thread and probably post in it a bit.

e. don't let that stop you though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JEEVES420 posted:

This thread moves to fast sometimes

Turnings sold as art fetches a lot more. I do like that etsy will show what is high selling and gives a broad spectrum of pricing and quality. It's fairly easy to get an idea of pricing in an online market, local markets will of course vary.

I'd be interested in that thread. It is a hot topic among makers.

There’s and Etsy thread, but it’s mostly dead and about promoting more than the selling/making aspect. Maybe tag a new thread about it there too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2735614&perpage=40&noseen=1

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Basic pantograph mechanism assembled

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

So I hosed up my maple butcher block countertop when I decided to half-rear end sand it with 100-grit paper and then stain it so now there's just a ton of scratch marks that are extremely noticeable.

How do I salvage this? Just start sanding with finer and finer git until the marks vanish and the grain looks good and re-stain? It was a dark stain but very light coat so I'm thinking I can get it close to base hopefully.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Super Waffle posted:

The trouble you need to avoid is that when you price up work cheaply people start to expect those prices. I make it clear when I'm doing stuff for friends that this is 'Mates rates' because if they then recommend me to one of their friends that I don't know, I don't want them to come after me and accuse me of jacking my prices up all of a sudden.

If you're doing it for fun great, don't let this bother you at all and sell stuff to cover your materials and its all good. But you're really good at these and you should charge more. Etsy is infested with mass produced shite thats marketed as by small time makers and that's whats driving the cost down. A quick look at the homepage just now and I can see aliexpress shelf brackets.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I would def read that thread. You've got a lot of knowledge and post in a really accessible way so I think it would be good for many people to read.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will increase prices to $100 across the board. I think I'm in a unique situation as to my market, as all my sales (except for one goon!) Are to former co-workers in the Themed Entertainment Industry and know what stuff costs. A couple of them are fellow makers that do graphic design/calligraphy/enamel pins.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FCKGW posted:

So I hosed up my maple butcher block countertop when I decided to half-rear end sand it with 100-grit paper and then stain it so now there's just a ton of scratch marks that are extremely noticeable.

How do I salvage this? Just start sanding with finer and finer git until the marks vanish and the grain looks good and re-stain? It was a dark stain but very light coat so I'm thinking I can get it close to base hopefully.

Yeah that's the ticket. Don't beat yourself up over it, especially if it's only been stained. Start sanding. Just needs moar sanding.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I've got a question about these styles of gouges:

They're both made for scooping out bowls and such, but I'm not clear what the benefits of one over the other are. The ones with the "a"-suffix seem to allow you to scoop deeper than the "L" types I guess?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just Winging It posted:

I've got a question about these styles of gouges:

They're both made for scooping out bowls and such, but I'm not clear what the benefits of one over the other are. The ones with the "a"-suffix seem to allow you to scoop deeper than the "L" types I guess?
There's not a huge huge amount of difference. The lower one is probably cheaper than a similar sized one in the style of the top one because it uses lest steel and takes less machining. Because it has a smaller scoop at the end of a skinny straight part, it can probably get into tighter spaces, which might be important for undercutting. It's also a little tighter curve so you can 'scoop' deeper.

That comes at the cost of some control and comfort during use IMO. The full style on top is a little easier to and more comfortable to hold, especially in larger sizes. I can't quite describe it, but with the bottom style the pushing force isn't quite directed straight into the cutting edge? At least for me, they have a tendency to slip out of the cut where the top style works a bit more naturally. Unless you are doing some really sculptural, in the round figure kind of carving that has lots of undercutting and overhanging parts, I'd go with the top style 90% of the time. The problem with carving tools is that for that 10% of the time, the smaller one is really useful to have :argh:

Backbent gouges sort of in the style of the 2nd ones where the bevel and sweep are reversed are a whole different thing that are actually quite useful in more normal relief carving.
Great for putting an even curve on convex surfaces like the high part of a leaf or w/e.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Ah, I see. The top ones are about 10% more expensive new than the bottom ones for the same size. I'll go for one of those (if I can find some place that has them in stock or come across reasonably priced used one), and maybe later, if the situation really calls for it, the other style. Thanks for the explanation.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Just Winging It posted:

(if I can find some place that has them in stock or come across reasonably priced used one)

Buddy I have extremely bad news about the current state of the carving tools supply chain.

The only reason I was able to recently order spoon carving tools is because toolsforworkingwood has a nightmare information architecture and it is almost impossible for customers to find the ray isles spoon tools by normal browsing, thus they were still in stock.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GEMorris posted:

Buddy I have extremely bad news about the current state of the carving tools supply chain.

I personally think now is the time to buy whatever you want, don't wait. I have the feeling the supply chain will get worse before it gets better.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

GEMorris posted:

The only reason I was able to recently order spoon carving tools is because toolsforworkingwood has a nightmare information architecture and it is almost impossible for customers to find the ray isles spoon tools by normal browsing, thus they were still in stock.

I am fully aware of what a clusterfuck the supply situation is right now. Hence the "if I can find some place that has them in stock". I'm not holding my breath or anything, because who knows how long it's going to take.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Rutibex posted:

I personally think now is the time to buy whatever you want, don't wait. I have the feeling the supply chain will get worse before it gets better.

This is likely true. Was checking availability on combo jointer/planers this morning and outside of Grizzly you're looking at 4-9 months wait.

Just Winging It posted:

I am fully aware of what a clusterfuck the supply situation is right now. Hence the "if I can find some place that has them in stock". I'm not holding my breath or anything, because who knows how long it's going to take.

Yeah I was mainly making a joke post, I didn't think you were unaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I just bought a Jet 1221 on Amazon Warehouse in "used, acceptable" condition with "major cosmetic damage". Half price :smuggo:

Can't wait to see how bad it really is