Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Stuff like the origins of Adam/Lilith and the cover story for Second Impact from the supplementary materials is neat, but the show is definitely better for not focusing on lore so much outside of the minimum needed for the main cast's story to play out.

Link the thread coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Soul talk.

Rei-I's soul is in Eva-00, despite also being Lilith's soul. In the same way that Kyoko's soul was fractured and had the maternal part removed from her body and into Eva-02, making her a bad mother to Asuka IRL, the Rei/Lilith soul was fractured and her precocious kid characterisation was dumped into Eva-00 and Rei was a deadpan doll ever since.

It also has to be Rei because Shinji and Rei can switch Eva's due to DNA, so it can't be Naoko.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Szmitten posted:

It also has to be Rei because Shinji and Rei can switch Eva's due to DNA, so it can't be Naoko.

I'm working my way through the Netflix translation, but I'm only partway through and it's been almost twenty years since I last watched so I'm sure I forgot a bunch.

Was there ever a point where Shinji piloted 00?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. Like even from the first couple of episodes you'd expect a machine to stop moving when it runs out of power, not to rip open its headpiece to reveal a set of ghastly teeth and start acting like a feral beast

Yeah isn't it made explicit somewhere that the armor is mostly designed to restrain/forcibly move the Eva according to the pilot's brainwaves and lock it down when inactive?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah isn't it made explicit somewhere that the armor is mostly designed to restrain/forcibly move the Eva according to the pilot's brainwaves and lock it down when inactive?

I think they stated that during the first fight.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
They drop nuggets here and there until the big fight where 01 eats the S2 engine and starts breaking out of its torso restraints. Supposedly the manga is more explicit about it.

Also- wrt the evas being “human”- you can see bare Eva torsos during the episode with the simulation bodies (not sure if they show up more than once). Also Eva spinal columns and bones in the graveyard of failed projects/deep recesses of NERV HQ.

One of the things I never appreciated until I was an adult was the sort of deliberate whimsy and magical realism, for lack of a better term, in Eva. It reminds me a lot of the moment in Big O where the ceiling of the giant stage everything takes place in is revealed. Like all of the stuff that should fall apart with even a minute’s thought just works because of the mood and tone it sets. Like the building sized robots actually have giant human torsos and poo poo and people are just plugging stuff into them and wiring up machines to biblical artifacts. NERV HQ is a ginormous pyramid with secret massive catacombs full of dusty rear end building-sized skeletons just laying around like a forgotten surround sound system left to moulder in a basement crawlspace. Every fight ends with cleanup and construction crews laboriously mopping up a literal flood of blood and trucking away comically huge body parts. It’s like being inside of a dream

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 12, 2021

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I always had it in my head that the Zeruel core chomping scene was the big "oh poo poo they're not robots" reveal but during my most recent rewatch with my partner a few years ago we were chatting after episode 2 and she immediately came to that conclusion based on the scene where Unit 01's faceplate falls off and its eye pops out of its socket and yeah that's a bit of an early giveaway.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Link the thread coward.
man you think i got archives? it was just rear end SHOT OF THE YEAR 2003.

it was easily won by a gratuitous bit of fan service from GITS:SAC episode 2

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Just want to add that all this talk of souls and how the pilots are connected to their Evas doesn't at all seem to apply to the metaphysics (or whatever you wanna call it) of the Rebuilds. Like Yui's still in 01, but the way pilots interact with Eva doesn't seem to need that special connection they did in the OG series. Mari's just hopping between a ton of different Evas no problem, Asuka's picked to test pilot 03 instead of a new pilot candidate (all of Shinji's classmates being a reserve of pilot candidates isn't mentioned in the Rebuilds) and then there's all the strange SEELE/NERV Evas like the Mark-09 (what's a Vessel of Adams?) and Evangelion 13 (dual entry, no AT field?) that are a big bag of 'who knows what the gently caress'.

I'm riffing off of one of those novella length megaposts that's been linked here before, but I do feel like when you watch the Rebuilds you tend to subconsciously fill in gaps/paper over the differences between the Rebuilds and the original series with your already existing knowledge of the series, even if the films aren't confirming it or even directly contradicting it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah the films don't draw just tons of attention to it, but when you actually look at how things work it's pretty clear that the rules of how the Evas themselves work and sync with the pilots aren't the same as they were in the OG series - like there's something inherently special about the four children that lets them pilots Evas in general rather than sync with specific ones. What this ultimately means/might be building to, we hopefully won't have to wait THAT much longer to find out.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
i feel like rebuild is a chance to retcon some of the stuff while also keeping it vague enough that fans will continue to talk about it 30 years in the future. im not sure we'll ever know which stuff is clearly retcon and why it was retcon, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

man you think i got archives? it was just rear end SHOT OF THE YEAR 2003.

it was easily won by a gratuitous bit of fan service from GITS:SAC episode 2

Ahahahahah god drat that image was the key to unlocking a rush of vivid memories all at once.

Also, lol some of these old takes are so bad

quote:

I really don't understand where this Eva character development idea is coming from. Shinji is a whiny little pussy the entire show, and then decides not to hate himself anymore. Fabulous. Asuka is a bitch the entire show, and then goes insane. Great. Rei has no character at all the entire show, then has a tiny little glimmer (at which point I of course said "Umedetou (Congratulations) Ayanami Rei, you finally did it").

Maybe you guys are confused as to what character development is?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

bicycle posted:

i feel like rebuild is a chance to retcon some of the stuff while also keeping it vague enough that fans will continue to talk about it 30 years in the future. im not sure we'll ever know which stuff is clearly retcon and why it was retcon, though.

Calling it a retcon is stupid. The rebuilds are exactly that, they're not changing anything about the series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The leading theory on Evangelions and the relation of the pilots to them Rebuild-wise appears to be that some of the Evangelions are the bodies of the Adams and the children have the souls of the Adams. There was one Adam that was split into Adams during Second Impact - the bodies were thrown all over the place (one to Japan, one to the Moon) - and became some of the Evangelions (Unit 01, Mark 6, Mark 12, the key of Neb.) The soul was likewise fragmented into souls which were then put into children - Shinji, Asuka, Mari, and Kaworu. Hence why Kaworu 'knows' Shinji and acts familiar with him - they were all part of the same being.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The leading theory on Evangelions and the relation of the pilots to them Rebuild-wise appears to be that some of the Evangelions are the bodies of the Adams and the children have the souls of the Adams. There was one Adam that was split into Adams during Second Impact - the bodies were thrown all over the place (one to Japan, one to the Moon) - and became some of the Evangelions (Unit 01, Mark 6, Mark 12, the key of Neb.) The soul was likewise fragmented into souls which were then put into children - Shinji, Asuka, Mari, and Kaworu. Hence why Kaworu 'knows' Shinji and acts familiar with him - they were all part of the same being.

Yeah that makes a lot of obvious sense - it's the simplest explanation of why they decided to change the singular Adam to four Adams, after all.

Interestingly it also almost torpedoes any talk of time loops, since it obviously implies that Kaowru knows Shinji as an incarnation of an Adam rather than from the OG series.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ahahahahah god drat that image was the key to unlocking a rush of vivid memories all at once.

Also, lol some of these old takes are so bad
that was basically the earliest thread I can remember, aside from Epic Proportions streaming his break-up songs in FYAD after getting dumped in Feb 2003.

~motoko-chan...

also please tell me that wasn't my bad eva take

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Interestingly it also almost torpedoes any talk of time loops, since it obviously implies that Kaowru knows Shinji as an incarnation of an Adam rather than from the OG series.

How quickly we forget the row of Kaworu caskets.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

They already had those in EOE- the mass production evangelions.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

Mari's just hopping between a ton of different Evas no problem

I hope they do more with Mari in the final movie rather than her just being there. I don't expect (or really even want) them to answer everything about her but some more development and hints/clues to chew on would be nice because right now all we have is that photograph theory which is seems fairly weak? It would be disappointing if she was just left as solely fan service when her appearance and behavior have been so peculiar.

She's obviously on a mission of some sort and a very talented Eva pilot that's backing everyone up but then you've got the scene in 3.0 where her and Asuka confront Shinji and Kaworu and she just sits back and watches.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Midjack posted:

Failed experiments on the way to perfecting the Rei cloning technique.

Kaworu burns through his bodies because they tried a pure clome of Adam instead of a hybrid

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The moon coffins are the one thing no one seems to have any coherent idea about in the Rebuilds. There's some other coffin-related imagery throughout the films - the hospital thing Shinji is put in, the Asuka containment thing in the second film, the dummy plug logo - but I don't think anyone's put forward a good account of what the imagery means. The most curious thing to me about the coffins is that they were placed atop the blood stain on the moon - so, they were placed there AFTER Second Impact.

SUNKOS posted:

I hope they do more with Mari in the final movie rather than her just being there. I don't expect (or really even want) them to answer everything about her but some more development and hints/clues to chew on would be nice because right now all we have is that photograph theory which is seems fairly weak? It would be disappointing if she was just left as solely fan service when her appearance and behavior have been so peculiar.

She's obviously on a mission of some sort and a very talented Eva pilot that's backing everyone up but then you've got the scene in 3.0 where her and Asuka confront Shinji and Kaworu and she just sits back and watches.

Mari was sent to Tokyo-3 at the behest of the UN Evangelion agency to try and figure out what NERV had to do with events that unfolded in that underwater base. She doesn't sit back and watch during that scene - she's suppressing Rei's Mark 6 and keeping it in cover under Lillith's cross. She also puts two bullets into Evangelion 13 to no effect.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

that was basically the earliest thread I can remember, aside from Epic Proportions streaming his break-up songs in FYAD after getting dumped in Feb 2003.

~motoko-chan...

also please tell me that wasn't my bad eva take

Nah, that couldn't have been your take because it's from before you became a huge rear end in a top hat and were more of an adorable gun weeb who didn't even know what an M1934 was.

TenementFunster posted:

WTF? Crazy random old rear end pistol. That's a random antique to stick her with. You'd think a professional assassian would get something with more than 7 rounds in a mag. At least they didn't pick the glock :)

Also, thanks for the help.

Honestly I think the mods would get more mileage by punishing you by quoting your posts from back when you were nice than by simply probating you, and it'd be way more hilarious.

And holy poo poo did people hate Eva here back then. I don't even think it was a lot of people, but enough of a vocal minority that every single Eva thread I could find from back then that wasn't like a new Mogudan scan .zip was either closed or devolved into a shitfight.

quote:

I am loving pissed that this thread has gone to two pages, so I will again tear down Eva.

Basically, as pointed out, Anno is insane. But in addition to clinically diagnosed psychosis, he is also a lovely writer. By the end of both the series and the movie, it's very clear he had no plan for this story at all. It just happened, as random as the thoughts in his head. Rather than try to fix the obvious contradictions and inconsistencies in the story, Anno was intentionally vague on even large plot points. This storytelling crutch led to the all too common misconception that the these vague plot points are simply too deep to be spelled out and understood. This simply isn't the case. Eva does not have depth, it has only hastilly covered holes in a story with no great meaning. Without the visuals and production values, Eva would have been barely noticed, and easily dismissed as the hack that it is.

Instead, here we are, 7 years after the series concluded, arguing over it yet again. If the above paragraph isn't justification enough for the belief that Eva is a story poorly told, then I think the fact that even after this long, people still don't know what the gently caress is going on in the series. Least of all is Anno himself, who seems to spit back ideas about the story that are the most easily dismissed by the story itself. Though you'll notice that many of the commonly held opinions of "what really happened" are just memes that have taken hold as accepted, so they continue to be accepted, regardless of their actual merit.

So basically, Gainax really, really suck at ending shows. If Eva didn't prove it, Mahormatic sure as hell did.

~ ~ m e m o r i e s ~ ~

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

Though you'll notice that many of the commonly held opinions of "what really happened" are just memes that have taken hold as accepted, so they continue to be accepted, regardless of their actual merit.

Well, they weren't wrong.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nah, that couldn't have been your take because it's from before you became a huge rear end in a top hat and were more of an adorable gun weeb who didn't even know what an M1934 was.
!!!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You know I mean that in the best possible way. <3

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ArsPo7JyE

The GBS thread has made me aware of the existence of Evangelion corridos

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
~pues su padre no lo quiere~

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

tenementfunster is an innocent victim of lovely late 00s/early 10s moderation in this community and i stand with him

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Arc Light posted:

I'm working my way through the Netflix translation, but I'm only partway through and it's been almost twenty years since I last watched so I'm sure I forgot a bunch.

Was there ever a point where Shinji piloted 00?

There's a test in episode 14 where they swap Evas, which is also when Shinji sees a freaky Rei(-I) inside 00 rejecting him and 00 goes berserk again.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's so freakin cool that we have no idea what 3.0 +1.0 is gonna be about. Absolutely no idea. We can just guess. After all this time we can't be sure of a single thing. Other than Shinji will gently caress something up. Be we can't be sure that he won't fix it. Maybe it'll be biggest and best Shinji gently caress up of all time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Paper Lion posted:

tenementfunster is an innocent victim of lovely late 00s/early 10s moderation in this community and i stand with him
i am product of the moderation carceral state. abolish probation.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's so freakin cool that we have no idea what 3.0 +1.0 is gonna be about. Absolutely no idea. We can just guess. After all this time we can't be sure of a single thing. Other than Shinji will gently caress something up. Be we can't be sure that he won't fix it. Maybe it'll be biggest and best Shinji gently caress up of all time.

We've already seen about ten minutes or so, you might have missed it? It was a clip set in Paris. We've also seen some glimpses of interesting things in teasers/trailers. I think the last one (or one before it?) showed Shinji fighting Gendo in Evas? There's also Mari and Asuka dual-piloting an Eva, iirc? I could be misremembering all of this aside from that ten minute Paris clip because I just watched once, thought "That's cool" and didn't watch again because I'd rather wait for the film to just come out now. Everything they've shown has been unexpected however which is reassuring, I think.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
We know definitively it’s the best Evangelion because of Mecha-Gendo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

Shinji fighting Gendo in Evas

In fairness, all we've seen of that clip is Unit 13 fighting (and seemingly winning) Unit 01 in a spearfight. It's not clear who's in 13.....Or 01 for that matter!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SUNKOS posted:

We've already seen about ten minutes or so, you might have missed it? It was a clip set in Paris. We've also seen some glimpses of interesting things in teasers/trailers. I think the last one (or one before it?) showed Shinji fighting Gendo in Evas? There's also Mari and Asuka dual-piloting an Eva, iirc? I could be misremembering all of this aside from that ten minute Paris clip because I just watched once, thought "That's cool" and didn't watch again because I'd rather wait for the film to just come out now. Everything they've shown has been unexpected however which is reassuring, I think.
at this point, i wouldn’t be shocked if that paris scene isn’t in the actual movie

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Same. Remember all of the stuff in the “next time” preview from 2.02 that never happened?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Same. Remember all of the stuff in the “next time” preview from 2.02 that never happened?

The 30 seconds or so of preview stuff they drew up years before 3 aired being fake (to the extent that it even is fake - stuff like the Mark 6 descending on Terminal Dogma could still have reasonably happened between movies) is one thing - having a whole 10-minute long pre-air in basically the immediate runup to the movie be completely faked would be a truly wild amount of effort to an unclear end IMO.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

a truly wild amount of effort to an unclear end.

thats nge in a nutshell, both the production and analysis

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

thats nge in a nutshell, both the production and analysis

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
1.11 has been much more watchable than the Netflix version of the series. I had to give up on that five episodes in.