Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ChrisBTY posted:

Anything with a Gory Special setup that isn't The Fatality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_QqpWXxrHM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I love almost everything Cage does. That is one of the things I do not love.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

El Gallinero Gros posted:

gently caress that. The sitout neckbreaker version rules.

drat straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QuOg4ZHesU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The old double foot stomp off the top rope that Del Rio used to do looked like complete fake poo poo since the opponent had to hold themselves up on the turnbuckle.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Jay Lethal's Lethal Injection

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Shine posted:

Ditto counters to the (big) back body drop. I haven't watched WWE in a long time and maybe they are better about this now, but I feel like I went years without seeing somebody actually land the Irish whip into back body drop combo. Instead, it just became a recurring bit in wrestling matches that someone will Irish whip their opponent, and then bend over for no reason other than to be kicked in the face or sunset flipped.

This is exactly what I thought of, specifically Triple H's knee counter to it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the Overdrive/Playmaker too easy? I don't care. It's still "My finisher is messing up my own knee."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there any recent information about the AEW game? I need to finally realize my dream tag team of Kip Sabian & Kazarian with entrance music by Kasabian.

Nobody finds this joke as hilarious as I do.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Is there any recent information about the AEW game? I need to finally realize my dream tag team of Kip Sabian & Kazarian with entrance music by Kasabian.

no im there with you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Is the Overdrive/Playmaker too easy? I don't care. It's still "My finisher is messing up my own knee."
Not only is it a lovely move, it's been given to a bunch of developmental guys, making it worse. I doubt any wrestler has ever chosen that finisher.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Whoa, someone else knows who Kasabian is

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I've heard the name of the band before and appreciate the pun. :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i only know kasabian from when billy bragg roasted the poo poo out of them

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

The old double foot stomp off the top rope that Del Rio used to do looked like complete fake poo poo since the opponent had to hold themselves up on the turnbuckle.

Dude replaced one of the best simple submission moves in the business with that poo poo as his finisher. His finisher! That move was his finisher! How!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

sticklefifer posted:

they can feud with my team of Orange Cassidy and PAC who come out to Orange Goblin

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the tree of woe stomp would work better, if you have the vertical leap for it, from the middle of the ring. because at least that way, when your opponent gets up to untangle themselves, they aren't looking right at the dude about to stomp them

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I looked this Okada guy's stats up and apparently he's jobbed to Val Venis, Prince Albert, TJP, Stevie Richards, and MVP.

Using MMA math, people who can beat Okada have jobbed to Eugene, Kizarny, and The Miz.

I posted this in the wrong thread, but it's still important math.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 14, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rujasu posted:

Whoa, someone else knows who Kasabian is
Mostly because I'm a big Richard Ayoade fan and he directed some of their videos, but they had a couple decent singles a while back.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

they can feud with my team of Orange Cassidy and PAC who come out to Orange Goblin
Orange Cassidy might be pulling double duty because I'd be teaming him with Pineapple Pete and QT Marshall in a fruit salad-based stable.

And if they let you create your own storylines, QT Marshall will eat apples to keep Britt Baker away from him like a vampire avoiding garlic.

AEW should let me write for them.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

What is routinely the worst looking spot that you see consistently?
When AEW first started I used to see the Canadian Destroyer used somewhat regularly. While it's a cool looking move you really have to suspend your disbelief to buy it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

When AEW first started I used to see the Canadian Destroyer used somewhat regularly. While it's a cool looking move you really have to suspend your disbelief to buy it.
The only version I've ever really liked was the one Janela has done occasionally, where his opponent is on the apron and they go through a table. It's the only version I can think of where it actually looks like the guy doing the move is able to head scissor his opponent and control the head.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Code Red achieves basically the same effect as the destroyer, but looks at least a smidgen more believable because you usually get the person performing the move rocking to 'build momentum'.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think destroyers are cool and like them in all matches but they work the best in Lucha and JR sprints cause high flying and wild moves just work for those matches

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Suleman posted:

you just end up with the Ganso Bomb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iINi9CXmRc

How have I not seen this before, I know I've heard of the ganso bomb a billion times (maybe its just video I haven't seen) - but jesus christ, I was gonna say amazing sell, but I'm pretty sure his neck is like broken and stuck in that position lol

anyways here's Rick Rude doing something I've never seen before, probably cause doesn't seem safe but gently caress the warrior so super lol

Hirez fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 15, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hirez posted:

How have I not seen this before, I know I've heard of the ganso bomb a billion times (maybe its just video I haven't seen) - but jesus christ, I was gonna say amazing sell, but I'm pretty sure his neck is like broken and stuck in that position lol

anyways here's Rick Rude doing something I've never seen before, probably cause doesn't seem safe but gently caress the warrior so super lol

Wow that looks brutal at a brush but warrior just uses Rude's thighs like a ramp and glides down.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

TheKingslayer posted:

Wow that looks brutal at a brush but warrior just uses Rude's thighs like a ramp and glides down.

Yeah, it's kind of mesmerizing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder who has the safest piledriver. Lawler?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder who has the safest piledriver. Lawler?

Rhino, those thighs are too thick

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

foley's piledriver was extremely safe because he would pull their underwear and then fall and the other wrestler would usually end up with their momentum mostly going into foley's upper body such that they barely even needed to take the bump properly. he didn't lift them up then drop. it still looked spikey but he was also quite thinck in the thighs which is required of whoever has the safest one. you would need to have both an abnormally long neck and long head to be in any danger. Don't say bad words toward me if you disagree. do not acknowledge the post. don't say anything is wrong about my thoughts. I have truncated mental health today

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nick Bockwinkel's piledriver was very safe looking, because it was very weak looking. He just gently tips back onto his butt and rolls the guy over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tt0rUvniQk

Gaz-L posted:

The Code Red achieves basically the same effect as the destroyer, but looks at least a smidgen more believable because you usually get the person performing the move rocking to 'build momentum'.
Yeah, I once saw someone kinda do a Canadian Destroyer in a rugby match, but it was more like a Code Red. Like, it was like a Sunset Flip where he held onto the guy around the waist, so he got spiked on his head. The move makes sense that way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If a wrestler holds a title that a promotion isn't actively using, and that wrestler leaves the promotion, how much are they allowed to use the title without the permission of the promotion?

To give a concrete example, Heddi Karaoui won the WWA World Light Heavyweight Championship in 2013 but hasn't defended it since 2015. Obviously he can't defend it without their permission, but can he use it in promotion? Can he carry it to the ring? What rights does he have if any?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That would have to depend on the promotion, surely.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lamuella posted:

If a wrestler holds a title that a promotion isn't actively using, and that wrestler leaves the promotion, how much are they allowed to use the title without the permission of the promotion?

To give a concrete example, Heddi Karaoui won the WWA World Light Heavyweight Championship in 2013 but hasn't defended it since 2015. Obviously he can't defend it without their permission, but can he use it in promotion? Can he carry it to the ring? What rights does he have if any?

Generally you're not allowed to show other promotions titles when you're wrestling for not them. Course there are exceptions Moxley with the IWGP US Strap the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship etc but titles are their own self contained thing in that promotion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

In the United States the title is considered the intellectual property of the promotion that owns it so you can't use it in someone else's promotion without permission. With smaller promotions and smaller titles they tend to not care if you have it on another show it just raises awareness of the brand. If you have belts from another country promotions will also co-opt them. Zero One has used AWA titles for years despite WWE owning the AWA rights and putting out cease and desists from others using them. CMLL used the NWA titles for years and years until Blue Demon Jr tried to promote as an NWA affiliate in Mexico and went to court in Mexico to stop them.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lamuella posted:

As with a lot of things, it depends on what the first promotion has the money and willingness to do about it. If Ibushi decided to go rogue and do DDT shows without NJPW's permission, they could shut that down immediately by declaring a tag match between the Bushiroad and Cyberfight lawyers, but if Rickey Shane Page took the GCW title to ROH, GCW would be in a little more trouble trying to do anything about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

As with a lot of things, it depends on what the first promotion has the money and willingness to do about it. If Ibushi decided to go rogue and do DDT shows without NJPW's permission, they could shut that down immediately by declaring a tag match between the Bushiroad and Cyberfight lawyers, but if Rickey Shane Page took the GCW title to ROH, GCW would be in a little more trouble trying to do anything about it.

GCW would have a slam dunk court case that even Sinclair's lawyers would not want to deal with.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Since getting back into death match wrestling a bit I often see Alpha in the description of the match, ie the BJW 6 man tag from 11/1 was Flourescent Light Tubes & Alpha Death Match. gently caress does Alpha mean in this context?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The title thing also highly depends on the working relationships between promotions. ROH, NJPW, Impact, AEW, NWA, etc. all generally recognize each other and many of them share rosters.

One thing I find interesting is Cage being able to carry the FTW title in AEW, even though ECW is the sole property of WWE. Even if you say on TV that it's an "unsanctioned title", it was still part of the IP's produced content. I imagine WWE could technically make a stink about that if they wanted to.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sticklefifer posted:

The title thing also highly depends on the working relationships between promotions. ROH, NJPW, Impact, AEW, NWA, etc. all generally recognize each other and many of them share rosters.

One thing I find interesting is Cage being able to carry the FTW title in AEW, even though ECW is the sole property of WWE. Even if you say on TV that it's an "unsanctioned title", it was still part of the IP's produced content. I imagine WWE could technically make a stink about that if they wanted to.

That probably depends on whether the FTW title as a concept belonged to ECW or to Taz. From statements in the past by Taz he came up with the idea, designed the belt, and trademarked the design. He could make a very solid case for it being his intellectual property.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

They couldn't because it's owned by Taz. Certain IPs created in ECW were created by the wrestlers who were not under a contract that gave the company the rights to everything created by the company. Others like the Dudleys were considered to be created by the company and thus now owned by WWE although many of the wrestlers disputed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Since getting back into death match wrestling a bit I often see Alpha in the description of the match, ie the BJW 6 man tag from 11/1 was Flourescent Light Tubes & Alpha Death Match. gently caress does Alpha mean in this context?

it's like etc.
Not just fluorescent light tubes, fluorescent light tubes and more death match