Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

cruft posted:

I wonder who the target demographic is for this.

Coyotes attacking small dogs as prey is a common enough occurrence to be written about here and there...and for products to prevent it from being developed, of course.

If you ever let your pup out unleashed (when you can't react if a coyote decides to pop into your yard), I guess you might actually consider buying such things

EDIT:

Oh my god these other products are amazing. Might I interest you in electrifying the vest so you can shock the gently caress out of the coyote while its running off with your pet? Or perhaps a giant pair of eyes facing skyward to dissuade bird of prey attacks?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Verman posted:

My wife took an old evergreen that had died into the backyard where we put our lawn waste, she just let it sit there in it's pot so the soil had become flooded with water and got rancid and gross. It smelled like rotting ocean. I kicked it over and spread out the disgusting soil and covered it with dirt/debris. It made my eyes water and I nearly puked.

Fast forward a day later, I let my dog out to pee before going to bed for the night and he comes back to the door with black paws and coughs ... Spitting black putrid dirt all over the door.

Dogs are disgusting animals.

Mine found a frog corpse out in the park in midsummer, had been out there baking for a week at least, and rolled around in it as hard as she could for 5 seconds or so until I noticed what she was doing. I carry rubber gloves in my dog bag now.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

It’s funny that the grain chat came up I looked at my purchase history and the only difference between the two foods I bought was that the new one had grains in it and the old one didn’t. Guess my dog is gluten free, very L.A. of her.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

Coyotes attacking small dogs as prey is a common enough occurrence to be written about here and there...and for products to prevent it from being developed, of course.

If you ever let your pup out unleashed (when you can't react if a coyote decides to pop into your yard), I guess you might actually consider buying such things

EDIT:

Oh my god these other products are amazing. Might I interest you in electrifying the vest so you can shock the gently caress out of the coyote while its running off with your pet? Or perhaps a giant pair of eyes facing skyward to dissuade bird of prey attacks?

I want to have stickers of giant eyes on my bicycle helmet so drivers see me. I think it would work until everyone else had them and they became background noise again.

Both of these would probably would work, honestly. I still have a lot of questions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Selective breeding has gone too far lol. Although I guess I did just say they need a mohawk sooo

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hi thread. I'm battling condensation in my dog's crate. Every morning when I let her out the plastic pan on the bottom is damp, as is the bottom of her bedding (it's not pee, if you're wondering). It's only getting down the low 60s in that room since we leave thermostat on low at night.

Any ideas? Would something between the crate and the floor help?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gobi’s second puppy training class (which are really the only times he has seen dogs at ~14 weeks old) and he was way better. First time he just screamed nonstop and had to be separated by a gate. This time he was real quiet, even listened to most of my commands.

However, during puppy play time he was nipping hard, and chomped down on a golden lab’s ear and wouldn’t let go. Wasn’t hard enough for the lab to scream it recoil, but still.

Bonus photo of him sleeping in a weird position with his skin all stretched back.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Gobi’s second puppy training class (which are really the only times he has seen dogs at ~14 weeks old) and he was way better. First time he just screamed nonstop and had to be separated by a gate. This time he was real quiet, even listened to most of my commands.

However, during puppy play time he was nipping hard, and chomped down on a golden lab’s ear and wouldn’t let go. Wasn’t hard enough for the lab to scream it recoil, but still.

Bonus photo of him sleeping in a weird position with his skin all stretched back.

That's why you go to puppy class, to work through these things, so don't stress out if your puppy isn't perfect. None of them are! Mine especially isn't! I'm sure he'll keep improving.

He's cute as all get out, that's for sure :3:

cailleask
May 6, 2007

This is Nova’s first extended experience in actual snow, and her husky bits have suddenly taken over. She even pulled me in a sled for a bit. She’s very ambivalent about balls in general - but it turns out SNOW balls are her jam. She jumped and caught and ate them for hours, over and over.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Looking for advice, both specific and general. Just drove 4 month old GSP home. He was in a pretty chaotic/loud setting with many other dogs around.

The trip was 4 hours and he did well, but vomited and got it all over half his body. He is understandably very scared and isn’t wanting to leave his crate.

My current plan is to chill near him in the living room, letting him choose when he wants to leave the crate. I really hope to give him a bath and clean out the crate before bedtime. Any other specific advice on what I should be doing?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

Yeah I would recommend avoiding BB, go Purina or something else. There have been numerous quality issues/recalls for BB; anecdote but my dog did not take well to BB, went to Purina and he was fine.

FYI, Purina is owned by Nestle for people who care about that.

Mine are still on Blue Buffalo. I switched them off of the grain free to chicken and rice back when the FDA was looking into grain free foods.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Looking for advice, both specific and general. Just drove 4 month old GSP home. He was in a pretty chaotic/loud setting with many other dogs around.

The trip was 4 hours and he did well, but vomited and got it all over half his body. He is understandably very scared and isn’t wanting to leave his crate.

My current plan is to chill near him in the living room, letting him choose when he wants to leave the crate. I really hope to give him a bath and clean out the crate before bedtime. Any other specific advice on what I should be doing?

Sounds like a good plan. If you need to get him out to clean him up I'd probably just do it before bedtime. He'll be scared but it's better than him laying around in barf all night. You can start fresh in the morning.

Good luck with your new friend!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

A niche question: anyone have resources about training a dog to pull something? Like a wagon maybe? Nova appeared to really enjoy adhoc pulling a sled during our snow weekend, but snow is a rare event here. She didn’t need much encouragement or guidance - honestly she picked up what I wanted really fast, but I want to make sure I don’t go down a weird training path with her out of ignorance.

Also, any advice on harnesses? The one she was wearing was fine for a little playing with weight, but I wouldn’t want to make a habit out of it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I haven't done this personally but the keywords to look into for this would be dryland mushing, urban mushing or joring. There are a bunch of different types of joring from skis to bikes to scooters. What type of harness you get depends on what you want to do.
https://www.k9ofmine.com/urban-mushing/

https://talesofamountainmama.com/learning-dog-joring/

https://cani-fit.com/2014/05/08/walk-before-you-bikejor/

If you want a wagon that's called carting or drafting.
https://www.akc.org/canine-partners/more-sports-for-all-dogs-drafting-carting-2/

https://mybrownnewfies.com/2017/12/18/carting-with-your-dog-101/

Weight pull is also popular with a lot of bully breeds and mixes, but all breeds are welcome. I just saw a super cute video of a weight pulling pomeranian :kimchi:
http://www.iwpa.net/Getting_Started.html

https://adbadog.com/weight-pull-training-part-1/

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any experience with Seresto collars and dogs with thick fur? I swore I saw something on their web site a while back about needing to trim fur, but I can't find that now. I'm thinking of changing from topicals as it seems they gently caress my dog up big time. I grabbed the wrong Pet Armor in fall of last year (K9 Advantix generic instead of their Frontline generic) and my dog had a nasty reaction. Touching the application spot caused him to cringe and kick his leg, and he looked like he was going to fall over the first few steps anytime he got up. Vet said to scrub it off the best I could, and he recovered within a week. Only, he was better than he had been in over a year.

His old routine was to move from the bedroom to the living room when I got up to do my morning routine. As soon as he heard me sit down at my desk, he'd get up for a treat and to go outside. But for a year or so, he would just stay in the living room for hours on end. On top of that, if he'd been on the floor for a bit, he'd be a little stiff-legged for the first few steps. We (and the vet) had figured it was arthritis/old age kicking in (he's almost 12). Well, after the recent flea and tick med problem, I was hesitant to put anything on him. And he went back to his old self. When I sat down at my desk, he'd be up and on his way over every single day. He no longer took those stiff, painful looking steps when he got up. I had my old dog back.

Anyway, we just adopted a new dog, so I figured I should probably get him back on something again, so I applied some Frontline Plus last night. While he wanted outside when I sat down at my desk, he was only out for a few minutes, came back in, and slept for hours. Back out, and then back to sleep for hours. I bring the trash cans in this evening and my wife tells me, "Ollie's walking funny." He gets up and starts limping toward me. I got him in the bathtub and scrubbed him the best I could. His next checkup is in two weeks, so I'm going to be asking the vet for alternatives.

Posting this feels a bit weird as I feel bad for not giving him protection the last few months (though I have been checking him), but unless these are a series of coincidences, it definitely feels like these meds have been screwing up his quality of life.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I haven't done this personally but the keywords to look into for this would be dryland mushing, urban mushing or joring. There are a bunch of different types of joring from skis to bikes to scooters. What type of harness you get depends on what you want to do.
https://www.k9ofmine.com/urban-mushing/

https://talesofamountainmama.com/learning-dog-joring/

https://cani-fit.com/2014/05/08/walk-before-you-bikejor/

If you want a wagon that's called carting or drafting.
https://www.akc.org/canine-partners/more-sports-for-all-dogs-drafting-carting-2/

https://mybrownnewfies.com/2017/12/18/carting-with-your-dog-101/

Weight pull is also popular with a lot of bully breeds and mixes, but all breeds are welcome. I just saw a super cute video of a weight pulling pomeranian :kimchi:
http://www.iwpa.net/Getting_Started.html

https://adbadog.com/weight-pull-training-part-1/

Thank you this is perfect! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GI_Clutch posted:

Anyone have any experience with Seresto collars and dogs with thick fur? I swore I saw something on their web site a while back about needing to trim fur, but I can't find that now. I'm thinking of changing from topicals as it seems they gently caress my dog up big time. I grabbed the wrong Pet Armor in fall of last year (K9 Advantix generic instead of their Frontline generic) and my dog had a nasty reaction. Touching the application spot caused him to cringe and kick his leg, and he looked like he was going to fall over the first few steps anytime he got up. Vet said to scrub it off the best I could, and he recovered within a week. Only, he was better than he had been in over a year.

I use the seresto on my saint bernard mix and my great pyrenees without trimming the fur or anything. Just make sure it's snug in the fur. I've only had issues when I've gotten a bootleg collar or have forgotten to replace them in time. If they seem too cheap to be true they probably are bootlegs.

My puppy is the only one who doesn't wear one because she's just wet all the time so she uses an oral preventative.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I feel like I have regressed with house training this puppy. Puppy does not like going outside and is very fearful of it. Whereas before puppy would dart outside and pee/poo, pulling like crazy on the lead, he is now not even going into the yard.

I ordered a harness to use instead of the flat collar so we can work better on leash walking without the discomfort (or the scary experience of running away from the yard in pain, reinforcing the act). I have also brought his pee and poo from inside the house to right outside the back door to act as an example.

If neither pee/poo close to door, nor walking harness instead of collar works, what do I do? Puppy pads inside and start new? Is that too much regression? Puppy is 4 months old, and was living in an outdoor kennel before I got him.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Not sure where your located, but if you’re in the states and currently experiencing wretched cold weather, maybe that’s it?

My pup is about 14 weeks and was doing great outside, but of the two weeks I’ve had him about 10 days have been less than 15 Fahrenheit, so outside has not been fun for him. The last two days he hasn’t even gone outside, just been going on potty pads. Maybe once it warms up your dog will enjoy outside more?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
True, it has been wet and colder than normal. Glad to hear puppy pads are a fallback option even for our older puppies.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

A week back my dog Teddi started limping pretty bad after playing outside at the dog park. A week, two emergency vet visits and a round of x-rays later it turns out he's got a bad case of hip dysplasia at all of two years old. I knew corgis were prone to it, but I didn't think he'd develop it this early. :sigh:

So now I'm on a quest to make my apartment a bit more comfortable for him. He loved jumping up and down from the couch before (and in hindsight that probably didn't help with this matter), would anyone be able to recommend a dog ramp for helping him get up and down without him having to jump? Half of the ones I'm seeing on Amazon/Chewy include reviews such as "Barely supports my 20 lb dog." and "Fell apart after first use and injured my dog." so I'm all ears if anyone has any recommendations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

A week back my dog Teddi started limping pretty bad after playing outside at the dog park. A week, two emergency vet visits and a round of x-rays later it turns out he's got a bad case of hip dysplasia at all of two years old. I knew corgis were prone to it, but I didn't think he'd develop it this early. :sigh:

So now I'm on a quest to make my apartment a bit more comfortable for him. He loved jumping up and down from the couch before (and in hindsight that probably didn't help with this matter), would anyone be able to recommend a dog ramp for helping him get up and down without him having to jump? Half of the ones I'm seeing on Amazon/Chewy include reviews such as "Barely supports my 20 lb dog." and "Fell apart after first use and injured my dog." so I'm all ears if anyone has any recommendations.

It makes me sad that breeders are producing dogs like this by not doing health testing of their breeding stock. I know that it can have environmental factors too but severe hip dysplasia at 2 has to have a genetic basis :(

I have this ramp for my old dog. He's 76 lbs and it's still going strong after a year. I did follow some of the review's suggestion to add carpet to it but honestly part of the carpet has fallen off and the original grip isn't causing any issues. It's kind of clunky for when I need to use it to get him into/out of the car but a corgi is probably a lot easier to just pick up for car rides.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

This may be a post for the training thread, if so I can cross post.

I'm having a ton of trouble with Gobi (14 week male Shiba Inu) when it comes to potty training, crating, and barking when I'm gone. I've only had him about two and a half weeks, but I want to make sure I'm not starting off on the wrong foot with what I'm doing.

Potty Training: He is doing excellent in that he goes whenever I take him outside almost immediately, both pooping and peeing. However, he is peeing inside the house in very specific spots. He has a crate, and he will literally walk in there, pee, and walk out. I also have a meditation pillow that's in the corner of my living room. I will take him out, he will pee, and then 5 minutes later he will pee on that. This has happened nearly every day, and the only times it doesn't happen is when I have it away because I'm cleaning pee off it. His crate also has soft blankets in it, so I'm thinking maybe if I take those out he won't go? I don't think he has a UTI, but I'm not sure. It's not like he pees everywhere, just in these spots. He will hold his pee all night, 8-9 hours, whether he sleeps in a crate or in my bed.

Crating: When I got him he slept in his crate, but wouldn't go in during the day. Now he hates it. If I leave him in there for more than 5 mintues he will scream until I return, nonstop. I live in a small apartment, so I know "Let him scream" is the answer, but I truly just can't let him scream all day. I work from home until April, so I'm trying to get him accustomed to it by then. Here is a high fidelity drawing of my apartment.

https://ibb.co/F8vxYRD

Red lines are baby gates I have. The living room is where I work and spend most of my time, and due to layout I can't really move my TV and stuff out of there. My old bedroom is where I want his room to be, and currently he has his food/water/toys/crate in there. I've never let him have the run of the house, but my fear is that he thinks he should already be everywhere and I want him to consider that room "his space", as well as the living room. When I go back to work he will need to stay in there. For reference, it's about 12x12 feet. The X is just to show where he has been peeing on my meditation stuff nonstop.

I guess my question is, should I just start leaving him in his crate anytime I can't play with him, or anytime he's not eating or going outside so he gets used to it? Frankly, I don't really care if he wants to be in his crate all the time, but I need him to be okay in that room without screaming his head off.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

It makes me sad that breeders are producing dogs like this by not doing health testing of their breeding stock. I know that it can have environmental factors too but severe hip dysplasia at 2 has to have a genetic basis :(

It bums me out too. I thought I had lucked out with the breeder I chose but, uh, I guess not.

Walking issues aside, he's still the same lovable dog he always has been, always happy to see other people and dogs in the apartment complex, even if he can't move very fast to go say hi to them now. I'm going to do everything I can to treat him and to make his life more comfortable given the circumstances.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Hey, I'm a huge Teddi fan so post some pics/vids of whatever you get set up. :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

vs Dinosaurs posted:

True, it has been wet and colder than normal. Glad to hear puppy pads are a fallback option even for our older puppies.

Our girl pooped the floor the first day we got serious snow. I heard from a friend the same thing happened with their dog. Both are well house trained, adult dogs. I get the feeling these things happen sometimes. So yeah, especially if its puppy's first icky weather try not to stress too much.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

This may be a post for the training thread, if so I can cross post.
I think anyone who would post in that thread also reads this one.

Potty: Are you throwing him a big old party when he goes in the correct places? Treats, praise, acting like he is the smartest and most best puppy in the world? Do you bring him inside immediately after he goes or do you have some outside time first?

Simple solution for your meditation pillow, he is not allowed to have access to your meditation pillow. Gate it off, put it away, whatever you need to do but he obviously can't be trusted not to piss on it right now. My house is still a maze of x pens because my puppy can't be trusted in some areas (she doesn't pee inside anymore but does find and destroy things). Management is key to living with puppies. I think you have a good idea for removing the bedding from the crate for now and seeing if he still pees there. If he does the crate might be too big or you might want to get him checked out for a uti just in case.

Crate training: Can he see you from his room or is the baby gate the only entrance? Is there a special chew or something he loves that you can save just for crate/room time?
It sounds like he's really bonded to you and being isolated in his separate room is stressing him out. Here are some separation games from the baby genius class I took online. I'd tell you to just go sign up at FDSA but registration is closed for the month.

Step 1: Get your puppy really happy and comfortable with the gate to the room. Open and close the gate with the puppy loose. If he's on the opposite side of the gate from you he gets cookies, but don't trick him through the gate. Puppy just needs to learn that the gate opening and closing is no big deal. You want him to be happy and excited to go through the gate because it is a fun cookie game!

Step 2: Get a whole bunch of treats, more than you think you need. You don't want to leave the puppy to get more treats. If you see you're running out of treats end things early while you still have some. These shouldn't be all be done at once so keep an eye on how happy and enthusiastic your puppy is being and start again later if needed.

-session 1: close the gate between you and the puppy (he should be happy about this at this point) and stick a treat through one of the holes in the gate. Wait a second, mark (yes or click or whatever) then stick a cookie through a different hole in the gate. Repeat this, waiting only 1-2 seconds between treats for about 10 treats.

-session 2: turn your back to reload another 10 or so treats into your hand. Don't go more than an arm's reach away from the gate but turning your back is part of the ritual. This session wait a little longer, ~5 seconds or so, before marking and tossing a treat either through or over the gate. Aim towards the puppy's crate or a mat if you have worked on building value for those already.

-session 3: turn your back to reload another 10 treats. Increase your duration a little more 7 seconds if he is still happy with the game. Be variable this time and toss those cookies all over and make it a lot of fun to go get them.

-session 4: set up your gate again and turn your back to reload another 10 cookies. You're going to ping pong the duration this time. A couple cookies at 3-4 seconds, then do a couple at 4-5, then up to 6, then back down to 3. If he's happy with that sequence do it again before reloading. Toss those treats from all along the gate to add in a little movement on your part. If he's happy after the original 10 cookies, turn your back and reload and do another sequence of 10 treats just moving the duration up another second or two.

-session 5: stop using a marker and just throw the cookies. Your average duration should be about 6 seconds, vary between 3-8 seconds. Toss the treats further into the room and start moving yourself a little further from the gate as you are throwing them.

-session 6: Your average duration should be creeping up, vary between 4-10 seconds. You can get a random interval timer app to help with this.

-session 7: Start moving around your area and tossing a treat every now and then instead of giving the puppy your full attention. Your average should be between 6-12 second at this point. You can sit, stand, move, whatever while doing this. If puppy is laying down relaxing or choosing to be on a bed or in the crate that gets a bonus cookie.

-session 8: Pull up a chair and a book or your phone or something. Don't sit there staring at the puppy, just toss a treat towards their crate or bed at a random variable amount of time between 7-15 seconds. Puppy should still be relaxed, happy and comfortable with this.

-session 9: Still in a chair but move the chair a bit if possible. Your goal is to just be super boring. Average interval should be slowly moving up to about 30 seconds between treats. Your puppy should be choosing to just go hang out where you toss the treats at this point. If you find yourself being late to treat and the puppy doesn't notice that's a good session and end it there! Give him a good play session.

-session 10: Now you can sit or move but whatever you're doing should be boring to puppies. Your average time should be 30+seconds at this point with a deviation of about 10 seconds either way. When your puppy is just crashed out instead of waiting intensely for their treat that's a good time to end things with a fun play session.

Once your puppy is comfortable being separated but in sight of you then you can slowly start moving out of sight but you want to be as slow and systematic as you can be.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

Our girl pooped the floor the first day we got serious snow. I heard from a friend the same thing happened with their dog. Both are well house trained, adult dogs. I get the feeling these things happen sometimes. So yeah, especially if its puppy's first icky weather try not to stress too much.

I mean, I pooped in the house just now. There's a foot of snow in the yard: I can't really blame the dog for not wanting to try to crap in snow that's taller than she is.

I will blame her anyway, of course. But in the back of my mind I'll understand.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jellyfish, thanks for the suggestion! I’ll start trying that now.

I’ve got him gated in the room, I’m not visible to him there, and I’m slowly working on being gone longer periods. He’s fine being in his crate when he’s real sleepy, but I’m trying to get him more comfortable just being in that room alone.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

My big ol Samoyed ate one (1) adult 325mg aspirin, he’ll probably be fine right? Some googling turned up thats its not harmful unless it has acetaminophen also in it, (it doesnt thankfully). Thanks!

edit: update, he fine

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 19, 2021

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
My poor dog insists on pooping on snow if there is any. She will single-mindedly plow into a snowbank twice her height and get stuck in it. There are no other options.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My dog will insist on peeing in the snow. Not on the snow, he has to be completely buried in it. I thought he wasn't peeing for 3 days straight and was about to take him to the vet.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My awful puppy figured out how to get out of her crate so now she has to be locked down like a velociraptor.

Thankfully the 10 years and thousands of dollars worth of therapy paid off and my awful old dog put himself away instead of destroying her. Good old mans who don't do a murder get cupcakes.

She now just hangs out in her crate looking at the attachment points and I'm extremely suspicious. Cattle dogs are the worst (and I want a hundred of them).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My awful puppy figured out how to get out of her crate so now she has to be locked down like a velociraptor.

:allears: Dog looks like it's filing its claws and politely pretending to pay attention to your complaints :allears:

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

This is peak heeler.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am so proud of Major, like... wow, he did it, he let that dog go. I am so happy for him.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am so proud of Major, like... wow, he did it, he let that dog go. I am so happy for him.

He's come so far! I wasn't even in the house, I had to run out to the barn to deal with something, but he chose to walk away and put himself to bed instead of wrecking my puppy, who totally deserved it. I obviously have taken more precautions so it won't happen again, but it could have gone so badly but instead he was an extremely good man.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Question about puppies barking when home alone.

I work from home now, so I have something just about every waking moment with Gobi (15 week old male Shiba) since I got him 3 weeks ago. When I leave he cries/barks/whines from the moment I leave until I get back, whether it’s 5 minutes or an hour.

A trainer I had suggested it’s mostly because he just needs to learn to be a little more independent from me. He suggested I spend 2 days only interacting with him when necessary and for corrections, leaving him to his own devices otherwise. If he’s doing good on the 3rd day we can play, and then on the 4th day go back to normal, with him hopefully being more independent. If he doesn’t do better, I keep it up until improvement.

Is this a valid tactic? I do agree I need to let him be alone, but I live in an apartment and the “let him bark it out” isn’t exactly an option. I’m remote now, but I will be back in the office in April and will be gone basically all day, so I want to use the next 5 weeks to help get him adjusted.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
So the PI pet food thread is long gone - I'm sure there's been food chat in this thread. I've got a new puppy on the way - labradoodle - and haven't had a dog in ~15 years. What's the latest and greatest? Wet? Dry? Do we have some awesome new understanding of dog nutrition that says OMG NO RICE, or rice good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turds in magma posted:

So the PI pet food thread is long gone - I'm sure there's been food chat in this thread. I've got a new puppy on the way - labradoodle - and haven't had a dog in ~15 years. What's the latest and greatest? Wet? Dry? Do we have some awesome new understanding of dog nutrition that says OMG NO RICE, or rice good?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920678

Here it is