Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Skulk Hogan posted:

1.11 has been much more watchable than the Netflix version of the series. I had to give up on that five episodes in.

The Netflix version isn't any different... unless you're watching the dubs. In which case I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The Netflix version isn't any different... unless you're watching the dubs. In which case I'm sorry.

Yeah i was watching it dubbed on Netflix. I found a rip of Rebuild and switched to watching that with subs.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Watching ep 5 and then NOT watching ep 6. Jesus christ. :psyboom:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Skulk Hogan posted:

1.11 has been much more watchable than the Netflix version of the series. I had to give up on that five episodes in.
"The netflix version of the series" is just... the series. Albeit with a very occasionally sorta-questionable translation. The Rebuilds really aren't intended to be watched prior to/instead of the original material.

Skipping straight to the rebuilds is kinda like going to a ski resort and not getting off the chair lift once you reach the top and just going straight to a slope side bar after you get back down. The view's great and you're probably gonna have a chill time but lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The 30 seconds or so of preview stuff they drew up years before 3 aired being fake (to the extent that it even is fake - stuff like the Mark 6 descending on Terminal Dogma could still have reasonably happened between movies) is one thing - having a whole 10-minute long pre-air in basically the immediate runup to the movie be completely faked would be a truly wild amount of effort to an unclear end IMO.

The ten minutes we got for 3.0 were also in the movie. I feel pretty confident we’ll see the Paris battle in 4.0, possibly even as the opening scene.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Pretty good posted:

"The netflix version of the series" is just... the series. Albeit with a very occasionally sorta-questionable translation. The Rebuilds really aren't intended to be watched prior to/instead of the original material.

Skipping straight to the rebuilds is kinda like going to a ski resort and not getting off the chair lift once you reach the top and just going straight to a slope side bar after you get back down. The view's great and you're probably gonna have a chill time but lmao

Ah yeah it looks like i misread what i read about Rebuild. And the translation on Netflix was weird enough in places it was distracting, especially when the audio and subtitles varied wildly from each other with information in the subtitles that would have been completely if i hadn't had them on.

I'm trying to enjoy the thing guys, i swear. Im just also a buffoon. :downs:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skulk Hogan posted:

Ah yeah it looks like i misread what i read about Rebuild. And the translation on Netflix was weird enough in places it was distracting, especially when the audio and subtitles varied wildly from each other with information in the subtitles that would have been completely if i hadn't had them on.

My friend do not call yourself a buffoon with regards to Evangelion. It's a whole bucket of nonsense tied together by cool imagery and excellent direction and most of us here just way way way overthink it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Skulk Hogan posted:

Yeah you can't really turn subtitles on with english audio in the netflix dub. Just too many variances between the two.

Personally, the netflix dub is OK. It has issues with odd sounding dialog but I think most of the voice actors do a pretty good job (esp Shinji). It was the first way I watched Eva and I still thought it was one of the best shows I've ever watched.

I have since got my hands on the original dub and am about to start my second watchthrough. Curious to see just how different it is.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Crustashio posted:

Yeah you can't really turn subtitles on with english audio in the netflix dub. Just too many variances between the two.

Personally, the netflix dub is OK. It has issues with odd sounding dialog but I think most of the voice actors do a pretty good job (esp Shinji). It was the first way I watched Eva and I still thought it was one of the best shows I've ever watched.

I have since got my hands on the original dub and am about to start my second watchthrough. Curious to see just how different it is.

Baloney Pony

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Skulk Hogan posted:

Yeah i was watching it dubbed on Netflix.
lol jesus

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://vicholas.tumblr.com/post/643120700093300736/spiribia-genuinely-dont-remember-why-i-did-this

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Crustashio posted:

Netflix: The actors are better but the words they say are worse. The old dub is spotty as hell but the adaptation is way more interesting and less formal. Both of which can be chalked up to “Anime in America in the mid 1990s”

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I wouldn't even say it's just the words; a lot of the actual voice directing really lets a lot of the netflix dub actors down in so many spots. For example, you got the Asuka Strikes ep where people who should be talking super excitedly (like Misato in some parts) are just straight monotone with their delivery.

The ADV dub is like... yeah, they definitely tried to act a lot of places, which I can kinda give them credit for

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
All these dub problems are easily solved by just watching it in Japanese with subtitles

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

All these dub problems are easily solved by just watching it in Japanese with subtitles
Nothing beats Shinji's Japanese actor screaming. It's bone-chilling.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I will never watch any eva dub. I don't think there's a reason to do that tbh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If I want to read I will just read a manga

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Pretty good posted:

I will never watch any eva dub. I don't think there's a reason to do that tbh

The Ireul/computer virus Angel episode is an absolute treasure in the ADV dub

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Original japan VA is great and I'm glad it wasn't screwed with.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DC Murderverse posted:

“Anime in America in the mid 1990s”

Yeah, that's about the best way to put it. Right down to the minor characters sounding like they were dragged off the street, given a script and one take. 12 episodes in, the main cast is fine. Misato is the most noticeable improvement. The netflix VA was definitely too even keeled. Shinji is fine, if a bit whiny. Asuka is kinda grating, but it fits for her early episodes.

The end credits song(s) though, what the gently caress netflix?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/macgyjp/status/1361558394860040193

Eva 3.0 + 1.0 is 2h34m.

Doesn't this make this one of the longest animated films ever made? Like its not as long as Disappearance of Haruhi or that Yamato movie, but its got to be pretty darn close.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Nearly an hour longer than 3.0 holy poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Rebuild of Eva makes me think about the generation of actors that fought in WW2, got cast in war movie roles when they got back, and then spent the next 20-30 years of their careers doing nothing but WW2 films until they retired or died

like even the Rebuild film with the shortest gestation/production took longer to put together than pretty much the entire original series + films. It took like 2-3 years to make the original run of Eva, we’re on year ~15 of the Rebuilds

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Raxivace posted:

https://twitter.com/macgyjp/status/1361558394860040193

Eva 3.0 + 1.0 is 2h34m.

Doesn't this make this one of the longest animated films ever made? Like its not as long as Disappearance of Haruhi or that Yamato movie, but its got to be pretty darn close.
lol those are the only two that have ever been longer, apparently

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/02/16-1/evangelion-3010-anime-film-reveals-that-it-is-the-longest-eva-film-yet

i really hope they aren’t just throwing in everything they’ve animated in the last decade in some dumb attempt to make mouthbreathers happy. i don’t feel great about Anno pacing 154 minutes.

and big lol at anyone who watches dubs, tho. stop.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I want this movie to be 20 minutes of the preview footage we've already seen, and then two hours of Mari just lazing around in an entry plug, singing Japanese songs from the 60's while the Fifth Impact is happening offscreen.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sue posted:

I want this movie to be 20 minutes of the preview footage we've already seen, and then two hours of Mari just lazing around in an entry plug, singing Japanese songs from the 60's while the Fifth Impact is happening offscreen.
then forty pages of dubwatchers wondering why Mari’s VA sings or complaining about cultural references they don’t get, plus another forty pages of links to evageeks forum posts from the bush administration that “prove” that gendo was a Bad Dad because his actual soul was in Unit 13 the entire time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to watching a new 150 minutes of Evangelion.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sue posted:

I'm totally in it for the Mari singalong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kFiGL5EM4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait to watch dub everything and love it and come into this thread and not be weird as hell

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i cant wait to see 4 in the theaters while barely understanding any of the dialogue and making my gf translate it to me after

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Readin words at the movies is for festive types and bolshevists. You might as well be reading a tankobon of Japanese manga.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's weird to think that what's likely the last animated Evangelion production ever is finished and just sitting on a shelf, waiting

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress I wanna see it already

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PathAsc posted:

gently caress I wanna see it already

The worst part is knowing there are people who have already seen it!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm still holding out hope for it to go straight to digital so we don't have to spend 6+ months dodging spoilers or else debase ourselves with camrips

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pretty good posted:

I'm still holding out hope for it to go straight to digital so we don't have to spend 6+ months dodging spoilers or else debase ourselves with camrips

This is 10000% not going to happen with how much money this thing is going to make

they'll sit on it for another 4-5 months and put it out in theaters and we'll be lucky to see an English release within three years if 3.0 was any indication

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6vvTWFubg

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

this isn't even the best comparison. the best one is the one on twitter where it sounds like gendo says 'anita rose, so i sent for you'

this one: https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1141998516082024448

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah somehow the funny word choice that anime get in subs is acceptable to my mind, but when you try and talk it out with "western" conversational conventions it sounds weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah somehow the funny word choice that anime get in subs is acceptable to my mind, but when you try and talk it out with "western" conversational conventions it sounds weird.

this often isn't just a matter of word choice, but of timing; stuff takes different amounts of time to say in different languages