Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I plan on finishing mortis in the next 3 days, those who asked for spoilers in past will get em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I plan on finishing mortis in the next 3 days, those who asked for spoilers in past will get em.

nice one bruvva

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Immanentized posted:

Brother, I'm pinned here! (thank you)

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Immanentized posted:

Much appreciated!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

As I've said I've not read any of the HH books so everything I know is put together piecemeal from the internet.

Now I have gotten that pre-handle out of the way I would like to talk about the hypostasis that something unusual is going to happen on the Vengeful Spirit and I think it is going to be Sanguinius going rogue and Big E being the one that strikes him down. It is this that throws Horus into his rage and to break Easy-E into little pieces.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kegslayer posted:

Is there a reading list of good non Space Marine/Guard books?

I've done the Watchers of the Throne, Bloodlines, Rites of Passage and enjoyed stuff like Brutal Kunnin and the Infinite and the Divine.

Not really sure where to go next or if there's other slice of life books out there.

Does Space Marines include traitors in this case? Lords Of Silence is really great, and the DG guys really aren't like any other Marines.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Normally you'd say 'Money', but those print runs are pretty small. How much do they charge for those things anyway?

It is very annoying and it's not like they couldn't release premium editions alongside the regular and still be perfectly sure they'd sell out the premium edition.

Occasionally, they do release a special edition alongside the normal release. In fact, they are doing it this weekend with Penitent and recently did it with Gate of Bones. They did it with something else I can't remember relatively recently too. I think they are testing the waters out because enough fans have complained. I wouldn't be surprised if this became more frequent.

Oh they are also doing it with Swords of Calth this weekend. So two are releasing simultaneously with regular editions this weekend.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Where does it say Penitent is out this weekend? That'd be really good news but I thought it was coming early March.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You sure it's not up for pre-order this weekend, then the week after is the actual release.

That's usually how that seems to work these days.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Where does it say Penitent is out this weekend? That'd be really good news but I thought it was coming early March.

This weekend is BL celebration. A ton of stuff is dropping:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/14/sunday-preview-the-black-library-celebration-is-here/

Yes for preorder but if you want special edition it will sell out in minutes

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

D-Pad posted:

This weekend is BL celebration. A ton of stuff is dropping:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/14/sunday-preview-the-black-library-celebration-is-here/

Yes for preorder but if you want special edition it will sell out in minutes

This is going to be the first time I actually get on the preorder train. I'd really like to snap one of these up. Do we know exactly what time they go on sale? "Within minutes" means I have to be really on my game.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Usually 1 PM EST on Saturday.

I'm debating on getting the special edition of Penitent, if I'm going to get a special edition I want all of them as a SE instead of the second one. The new normal HC art looks really nice.

I'm definitely getting the Xenos book, I missed out on the Chaos one.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

goddamn i love the art on the new pariah/penitent releases

where do i :f5:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

mythicknight posted:

goddamn i love the art on the new pariah/penitent releases

where do i :f5:

Should be here, don't go to the Black Library site.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Black-Library

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Immanentized posted:

Add me to the spoiler recipients list please.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Immanentized posted:

Just quickly, how marxist and SJW is it and does it ruin the dream of a fascist utopia?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

notaspy posted:

As I've said I've not read any of the HH books so everything I know is put together piecemeal from the internet.

Now I have gotten that pre-handle out of the way I would like to talk about the hypostasis that something unusual is going to happen on the Vengeful Spirit and I think it is going to be Sanguinius going rogue and Big E being the one that strikes him down. It is this that throws Horus into his rage and to break Easy-E into little pieces.

I don’t think so. Someone makes the point that Sanguinius is so afraid that he’s corrupted because of his wings, that he’s twice as loyal as everyone else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

von Metternich posted:

I don’t think so. Someone makes the point that Sanguinius is so afraid that he’s corrupted because of his wings, that he’s twice as loyal as everyone else.

I keep hearing the Traitor Sanguinius theory and I have yet to see anyone point to any textual evidence for it. It’s just “what if they subverted our expectations?” So far it really seems like we’re heading for the canonical ending. Which is fine!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think it's not so much that Sanguinius turns traitor, the theory is he falls to the rage. Basically the first instance of the black rage. At that point he can't distinguish between emps and Horus and emps has to put him down. I could see GW doing this, but I think it will be something else. They have said there will be something major about what happens on the Vengeful Spirit that will be different than what we have always thought.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What if Big E didn't completely obliterate Horus' soul but instead just took it into himself to deny the Chaos Gods it :thunk:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Emps confronts Horus, tells him that he was stillborn in the original chambers, and he's just been puppeted from afar by Big E this whole time. The Heresy was a complete lie and this was the intended and predicted outcome. He lets his control over Horus end, casually walks to the Golden Throne and rewrites everyone's memories so they think he was mortally wounded.

Why does the emperor do this?

Because he's a jerk and thought it was funny.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Finished Night Lords and now starting Lords of Silence.

Omg nurglings!!! :3:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

von Metternich posted:

Lorgar does, when explaining to Erebus that his gambit to corrupt his brother will fail. It's a very well-written scene. Sanguinius' angel wings clashing with the atheistic mindset of the Imperium, not to mention it being a very visible mutation, had him worried about corruption before anyone else even knew it was a thing to fear.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Thinking ahead to twists it seems reasonably likely that Oll and John’s plan is leading up to causing the deaths of Horus and the Emperor, thus taking them both off the board and giving humanity charge of its own destiny. The emperor on the golden throne can use His power to project the astronomican, empower acts of faith, and shield terra from the portal in the Dungeon, but He can’t directly control His subjects anymore. In that respect the 41st millennium is almost hopeful—sure, humanity is besieged on all sides, but when hasn’t it been? But it endures, and mankind’s destiny is in the hands of mankind, not an immortal tyrant.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fully expecting those two to be the ones that lower the shields on the vengeful spirit

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
All the fighting makes Gork and Mork manifest on the Vengeful Spirit. They headbutt Horus, give Sanguinius a massive wedgie then duck tape the Emperor to the golden throne while telling him to stop hitting himself while slapping him with Dorn's severed hand. This is not how the rememberancers will record it, of course.

10,000 years later somebody feeds a bunch of weirdboyz into the astronomicon instead of human psykers and the galaxy resets itself

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Skarsnik posted:

I'm fully expecting those two to be the ones that lower the shields on the vengeful spirit

At this rate the control room on the vengeful spirit is going to be extremely crowded.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

von Metternich posted:

At this rate the control room on the vengeful spirit is going to be extremely crowded.

So many different plots going on there, even Tzeench himself is gonna be confused.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Some random officer is going to slip and press the button with their elbow

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

All the fighting makes Gork and Mork manifest on the Vengeful Spirit. They headbutt Horus, give Sanguinius a massive wedgie then duck tape the Emperor to the golden throne while telling him to stop hitting himself while slapping him with Dorn's severed hand. This is not how the rememberancers will record it, of course.

10,000 years later somebody feeds a bunch of weirdboyz into the astronomicon instead of human psykers and the galaxy resets itself

The Beast wasn't attacking The Imperium, it was trying to save it!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Skarsnik posted:

It's gonna be Trazyn the Infinite.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Some random officer is going to slip and press the button with their elbow

If the control room is that crowded this makes sense

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I just finished the first three books of the HH series, which I guess makes the first complete arc of the Heresy - up through Isstvan III, and right before Isstvan V. I'm going to collect my thoughts here to look back on, let me know if I'm wrong about any of this. Even though it's 20 years old and 3 books into a 54+ book series, I'm going to spoil it:

- Before the first book, the Emperor fucks off back to Terra while his sons keep collecting planets like Pokemon and purging the Xenos races
- The Warrior Lodges are like "hey we saw some hosed up stuff on 6319 and we think it's because there's actually demons out there in the warp, even though the Emperor says that's a lie?" - the seeds of doubt are planted
- Horus is wounded on Davin and while he's in whatever Elysium he went to, Erebus pulls a trickster move and shows him that the Chaos gods are real and in fact that the Emperor used the powers of Chaos to create the Primarchs in the first place - the seeds of doubt take root and start sprouting
- Horus is understandably pissed, feels like a pawn, like the Emperor is just using his sons to glorify himself and become a god (not too wrong), and sets about to wage war against dear Papa
- Meanwhile, ironically, everyone thinks that their praying to the Emperor worked to save Horus and so the cult of the Emperor takes root, and Euphrati Keeler becomes a saint by almost dying fighting a warp creature (which came from Lorgar's book, whoops)

ok so now basically we're at the third book, and I'm not sure I totally caught the logical steps between 2 and 3:

- Between books 2 and 3, Horus has basically talked to the brothers he knows he can trust and convinces him to join his side - Fulgrim, Mortarion, Angron, and (hopefully) Sanguinius, and probably Perturabo, and (he hopes), Ferrus Manus
- Horus knows that there are heretics on Isstvan III, and because "reasons" (why?), they need to bring FOUR WHOLE LEGIONS to pacify it. I may have missed why they need all that power?
- Well, the REAL reason is because Horus wants his loyal brothers by his side while he sends all the untrustables from those legions to the planet before firebombing it out of orbit
- That would leave just the loyal-to-Horus guys ready to go to Isstvan V, knowing that the rest of the Loyalist legions would come to put Horus back in line... and I guess that's where I am now

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I loved the DG calling them 'the little lords.'

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just love that the ancient, terrifying, mythical soldier who has crushed entire star systems over thousands of years and commands firepower that could end civilisations takes his little (chaos, puss filled) cat to the medical bay :3:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

So I just finished the first three books of the HH series, which I guess makes the first complete arc of the Heresy - up through Isstvan III, and right before Isstvan V. I'm going to collect my thoughts here to look back on, let me know if I'm wrong about any of this. Even though it's 20 years old and 3 books into a 54+ book series, I'm going to spoil it:

- Before the first book, the Emperor fucks off back to Terra while his sons keep collecting planets like Pokemon and purging the Xenos races
- The Warrior Lodges are like "hey we saw some hosed up stuff on 6319 and we think it's because there's actually demons out there in the warp, even though the Emperor says that's a lie?" - the seeds of doubt are planted
- Horus is wounded on Davin and while he's in whatever Elysium he went to, Erebus pulls a trickster move and shows him that the Chaos gods are real and in fact that the Emperor used the powers of Chaos to create the Primarchs in the first place - the seeds of doubt take root and start sprouting
- Horus is understandably pissed, feels like a pawn, like the Emperor is just using his sons to glorify himself and become a god (not too wrong), and sets about to wage war against dear Papa
- Meanwhile, ironically, everyone thinks that their praying to the Emperor worked to save Horus and so the cult of the Emperor takes root, and Euphrati Keeler becomes a saint by almost dying fighting a warp creature (which came from Lorgar's book, whoops)

ok so now basically we're at the third book, and I'm not sure I totally caught the logical steps between 2 and 3:

- Between books 2 and 3, Horus has basically talked to the brothers he knows he can trust and convinces him to join his side - Fulgrim, Mortarion, Angron, and (hopefully) Sanguinius, and probably Perturabo, and (he hopes), Ferrus Manus
- Horus knows that there are heretics on Isstvan III, and because "reasons" (why?), they need to bring FOUR WHOLE LEGIONS to pacify it. I may have missed why they need all that power?
- Well, the REAL reason is because Horus wants his loyal brothers by his side while he sends all the untrustables from those legions to the planet before firebombing it out of orbit
- That would leave just the loyal-to-Horus guys ready to go to Isstvan V, knowing that the rest of the Loyalist legions would come to put Horus back in line... and I guess that's where I am now

I'm not going to spoil this stuff because there's a statute of limitations on it.
1) The Lodges are inherently Chaotic. They are outgrowths of a Davin-based Chaos cult. The people involved in them may not know that, and many of the lodges are somewhat innocent at first, but they are primed to accept Chaos. At this point in the series, some non-Primarch astartes are already Chaos-corrupted, and I am not sure if they played a specific role in spreading the lodges.
2) Likewise, the wound on David was deliberately engineered by Chaos-corrupted Astartes so that Horus would be both suggestible to the whispers of Chaos and be placed in the care of a known Chaos cult, who would corrupt him during his convalescence via ritual. Whatever Horus was shown was absolutely slanted by the warp.
3) In the early days of the Heresy, the vastness of the Crusade and the absence of the Emperor meant that certain information was acted on slowly if at all. For instance, at this point the Iron Warriors had already genocided their home planet, but the wider Imperium didn't find out until after the Drop Site Massacre rendered any judgment of that moot.

e: the more i digest it the more i think Saturnine is the best book in the Black Library catalog. that's a tall order, since there are some really, really good ones, but it's incredible. granted, a lot of the emotional heft of the book comes from the 60+ books that preceded it in the Horus Heresy and Siege of Terra series-- it has some momentum behind it, some weight. but it's so incredibly well-written throughout, so genuinely affecting in places. what's more, it does all this while being basically a "middle chapter" book that just covers Some More Battles during the Siege. it doesn't have a massive plot point to lean on like The Anarch to give it extra heft.

this passage is probably the most moved i have been by anything in a BL book.

quote:

Piers returned to the yard where they had raised the battle banner, him and the boy. They had propped it up, wedging the poles with sandbags and fuel drums, so it could flutter in the wind. There He was, the Emperor Ascendant, the Big Man, in His sunburst, looking down at him.

They had raised it up, him and the boy, him and Hari, then they had gone to round up others to stand with them, others to stand with them in defiance. Show their good faith. Rally around it, and protect it, so that He would see them and protect them.

But there were no others. And the boy, he hadn’t come back.

Piers felt bad about that. He'd seen it all. Hardened to horror, was Olly Piers. Nothing got to him.

But some losses were oddly hard to take.

The old grenadier straightened his shako, and sniffed, and rubbed his eyes. Stupid old bastard. You’ve seen worse.

He could hear it coming. Like a storm in the high Uplands. He heaved up Old Bess, and checked her charge. ‘Don’t let me down,’ he muttered to the caliver.

He stood before the banner. Right before it. No other place to stand. If the boy had been there, he’d have stood at Piers’ side. Of course he would have. The others would have too. They all would have–

It had arrived. making GBS threads poo poo. Look at that, boy. The size of god. It's got wings! Wings like a daemon-bat… Each slow step towards Piers a little earthquake. The drone of the axe.

Piers didn't budge.

So that’s what a primarch looks like. making GBS threads ball-bags. The Lord of the Eaters. Big as hell itself.

If the boy had been there, he’d have asked if Piers was afraid. Because he always asked such stupid questions. But Piers would have answered him. He would have said 'no’.
Because he always lied.

‘Come on, then,’ Piers cried, ‘and see what happens!’

The winged monster snorted. Its berserk pace had slowed. It plodded forward, as though it was curious, puzzled by the little man, and his little gun, and his ragged little banner. It snorted, a great bellows snort like a bull. Liquid drooled from its lips.

Piers aimed Old Bess.

‘Come on then,’ he yelled. ‘Show me what all the fuss is about!’

Come on now. Don’t let me down. Come on now, spirit of Mythrus, I’m right here. Your loyal bloody soldier, Olly Piers. That’s Olympos Piers to you, fickle mistress of war. I’m your chosen one. You know me. Come on, now. Don’t keep me waiting. Come on, war-lady, come on, Dame Death, you useless bitch, wherever you are, send your old soldier some grace, for poo poo’s sake. I know I ask a lot, but you've only got one bloody job. Come on, now. Come on. I'm asking nice.

Angron, the Red Angel, started to charge. The yard shook. The banner shivered.

Olly Piers fired Old Bess, beam after beam, dead centre. Bloody making GBS threads centre mass, you big ugly bastard!

‘Upland tercio, hooo!’ he screamed. ‘Throne of Terra! Throne of Terra!’

Bathed in blood, Angron raised his fists to the sky, flexed his arms, spread his gigantic wings, and let out a roar so loud, the burning guntowers of Monsalvant Gard shook.

And the banner, soaked in sprays of blood, slipped from its broken pole and fluttered to the ground.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 17, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bagrada posted:

It's gonna be Trazyn the Infinite.

I mean the Silent King IS bros with Sangy. Maybe he swung by Terra to hang out, saw what baldie did to his buddy, and just messed up EVERYONE in the ship to prove a point.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I mean the Silent King IS bros with Sangy. Maybe he swung by Terra to hang out, saw what baldie did to his buddy, and just messed up EVERYONE in the ship to prove a point.

I am all about necron lore and have heard this before but where is it detailed?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Edit: actually let me triple check this.

Aight, I reread the text excerpt and the Necrons heavily imply that the Silent King met and possibly made an offer to Sanguinius sometime in the past to deal with possibly the Tyranids before they became an issue. It's basically stated that Sanguinius was essentially the only human leader that the Silent King thought he could work with.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Telsa Cola posted:

Edit: actually let me triple check this.

Aight, I reread the text excerpt and the Necrons heavily imply that the Silent King met and possibly made an offer to Sanguinius sometime in the past to deal with possibly the Tyranids before they became an issue. It's basically stated that Sanguinius was essentially the only human leader that the Silent King thought he could work with.

The only human leader the silent king thought was worth a drat at all.

Where's the lie? etc