Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Halloween Liker posted:

if everyone uses the reporting app wont everyone have to stay at home for 14 days

The CDC changed their recommendation for self quarantine from 14 to 10 days - but not because science supported the change, but because they hoped that more people might at least *try* to quarantine if they reduced it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, just like last year, this thread is still bad.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah, it probably will be. I think obsessing over every base pair mutation is really unhealthy. Ultimately covid mutates quite slowly compared to other common viruses like influenza. Being plugged into social media streams of our modern genetic sequencing technology isn't really that helpful to understanding what is happening. There too much context missing. While it's true that controlling the spread of covid is important to reduce mutation potential, we already knew that right?

Don't forget that diseases like polio mutated so much we needed three different vaccines to control it, so this isn't unprecedented. As well we have some really cool new vaccine technology that is letting us rapidly update and create new vaccines, which is something we've never had before.

Overall, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Looking through preprints for each and every base pair change that's been detected isn't really useful to understanding covid imo.

You're kind of missing the point. Right now I'm trying to understand the relative risk and if it's worth pushing harder to get this trip cancelled. With the CURRENT vaccine efficacy data against this new variant probably months away, combined with the efficacy information for the B variant being significantly reduced (half or less, judging by the Balazs lab graph) it's a really hard call to make. Obviously updated vaccines will have to be produced, as you pointed out, but that doesn't really help with my current dilemma.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Genderfluent posted:

Agreed. The hype over these mutations is out of control. Yes, there are obviously some variants which are concerning with respect to vaccine efficacy, but there is no evidence for many of these emerging variants being worse. We all need to be responsible to make sure that we are taking COVID seriously, but not living in fear because of some 1 base pair mutation on a virus.

You seem like an ill informed dipshit, given that E484K, 452L and N501Y and other minor mutations are showing up in increasingly difficult to manage variants. All have dire negative consequences (in terms of either infectiousness or leathality and sometimes both) and are capable of rapidly spreading. Even lovely news is carrying the story about the California variant, but only weeks after it was discovered and documented. That is several doubling intervals of a very likely VOC which hardly anyone knew about.

This idea of "being responsible but not living in fear" is the worst kind of ignorant handwaving bullshit. Understanding and evaluating risks is not "living in fear" and being responsible is not blowing poo poo off before you even understand the risks.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Genderfluent posted:

Agreed. The hype over these mutations is out of control. Yes, there are obviously some variants which are concerning with respect to vaccine efficacy, but there is no evidence for many of these emerging variants being worse. We all need to be responsible to make sure that we are taking COVID seriously, but not living in fear because of some 1 base pair mutation on a virus.

If you read the paper (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) it sounds like the A variant has managed to overtake all the other variants, including the one out of SA, within 1-2 months. That level of infectiousness is concerning, to say the least.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Blitter posted:

You seem like an ill informed dipshit, given that E484K, 452L and N501Y and other minor mutations are showing up in increasingly difficult to manage variants. All have dire negative consequences (in terms of either infectiousness or leathality and sometimes both) and are capable of rapidly spreading. Even lovely news is carrying the story about the California variant, but only weeks after it was discovered and documented. That is several doubling intervals of a very likely VOC which hardly anyone knew about.

This idea of "being responsible but not living in fear" is the worst kind of ignorant handwaving bullshit. Understanding and evaluating risks is not "living in fear" and being responsible is not blowing poo poo off before you even understand the risks.

Scrolling through twitter for preprints about mutations isn't "understanding and evaluating risks". We're in a really bad situation where you can't trust any messaging from the government health authorities, I mean, if they were even trying to have messaging, so I get it, but at the same time its not meaningful information in the way you're implying either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not every variant is concerning.

Some of them are. They are generally not widespread enough to be a threat to you, personally, but chances are that your government isn’t doing anything to stop them, so one day they will be.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Salt Fish posted:

Scrolling through twitter for preprints about mutations isn't "understanding and evaluating risks". We're in a really bad situation where you can't trust any messaging from the government health authorities, I mean, if they were even trying to have messaging, so I get it, but at the same time its not meaningful information in the way you're implying either.

C'mon man, I'm not saying to "assess your local risks based on pre-prints" but if i lived in Santa Clara and found out that there was a local variant spreading faster than normal with similar mutations as b.1.1.7 I think its possible to draw your own conclusions, instead of waiting weeks for some lovely media to publish a story.

It's hosed up that nobody in the states is getting any kind of timely or valid guidance.

There are a lot of reasons why the US with 4% of the world population has loving 20% of the deaths and ignorance is loving high on that list.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The hosed up part is peole who are in line to be vaccinated around late summer will probably get the current vaccines that will then be impotent against the then predominant variants.
And we will start all over with a new vaccine version. But some people will always be behind because we can't jab everyone fast enough. And currently those peoole are the youngish ones.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaaaannnnnnddddd... we’re waiting for COVID test results for kiddo. Sniffles Friday, 99 fever on sat, cough thru today.
Probably just a cold. Probably.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Forgot, very much recommend the new oral test. Nothing to it.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Hopper posted:

The hosed up part is peole who are in line to be vaccinated around late summer will probably get the current vaccines that will then be impotent against the then predominant variants.
And we will start all over with a new vaccine version. But some people will always be behind because we can't jab everyone fast enough. And currently those peoole are the youngish ones.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that non-AZ vaccines are "impotent" against any of the variants

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

First day testing my Northwell 7700 respirator. Looks fairly apoc-fashion but the bright purple colors kind of ruin the look.

Filtration is pretty incredible, I walked right past a car exhaust and couldn't even smell the smog, seemed like normal(slightly cold) air.

It's uncomfortable around the nose area, don't know if I fit it wrong. It's a hassle to wear it with normal prescription glasses, they don't fit well on top of the nose, kinda trying to put them in the inner section of the resp but overall uncomfortable. Would be much better without glasses.

I'll have to alternate days between this and a regular surgical mask - need to get used to it, I suspect my nose is going to be very sore tomorrow. Also apparently I need to disinfect them every day? It's kind of a hassle. I bought some 3M respirator wipes for this.

I can wear a face shield on top, and I am. It stops just over the filters, but it covers my eyes. Overkill? Who cares.

Best part of this is getting looks from idiots not wearing their masks. Maybe it will light a bulb in their dim dumb brain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mrfart posted:

Another loving thing to be embarrassed about as a Belgian.
Society is really starting to crack here, I feel. Anti-vaxers coming out of the wood works left and right.

We haven't even hit 4% first dose of the vaccine.
up to 50% of the healthcare workers in Brussels are refusing the vaccine because they watch (mostly French) pseudo scientific bullshit on facebook or for religious reasons.
My brother is a firefighter and got his months before planning because the nursing home workers they were meant for didn't show up.
Meanwhile he has colleagues who after all this poo poo go on holiday abroad and don't do the mandatory quarantine afterwards.

It's worrying to me that a lot of the anti scientific stuff is starting to come from the left now too. Not just the loonies you expect it from.
The EU loving up the vaccine roll out is going to have massive social, economic and political repercussions. I'm terrified nationalists are gonna use this to push all sorts of fun agenda's.

Isn't Pfizer making vaccines out of Belgium or something

Big lol, if true

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Blitter posted:

I'm a scientist working in microbiology/aerosols. I understand the risks completely, but I also feel like there is going to be a lot of fatigue now that significant genomic profiling is going on and catching these variants. The fact that these variants are around has zero impact on my day-to-day life. I still wear my N95 mask out in public and take precautions to avoid illness, as I have been doing since March. Being a doomer about everything is not very productive. I accept that certain variants are concerning with respect to vaccine efficacy, but I also believe, especially with mRNA vaccine technology, that there is a path forward to overcome this. I think these issues are very important to virologists and others in the field, but I'm not sure that there is much advantage to the public taking in this data without context.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Big lol, if true

they should have chosen a larger country to make it out of, they're going to run out of belgium soon

Mozi fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Pfizer doesn’t meet the vaccine quota, it’s going to coat them a hand.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mozi posted:

they should have chosen a larger country to make it out of, they're going to run out of beligum soon

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Mozi posted:

they should have chosen a larger country to make it out of, they're going to run out of belgium soon

They doing them in Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA as well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Big lol, if true

Not only Pfizer, but one the biggest reasons cited for the AstraZeneca vaccine shortfall in the EU is issues with the lab in Belgium that they were partnering with to produce them. Poor Belgium just cant stay out of the news.

While the details of the contract aren't known, it's likely that the UK signed the big AZ contract early in 2020 on the basis that AZ had to prioritise vaccines produced on UK soil for the UK contract.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Genderfluent posted:

I'm a scientist working in microbiology/aerosols. I understand the risks completely, but I also feel like there is going to be a lot of fatigue now that significant genomic profiling is going on and catching these variants. The fact that these variants are around has zero impact on my day-to-day life. I still wear my N95 mask out in public and take precautions to avoid illness, as I have been doing since March. Being a doomer about everything is not very productive. I accept that certain variants are concerning with respect to vaccine efficacy, but I also believe, especially with mRNA vaccine technology, that there is a path forward to overcome this. I think these issues are very important to virologists and others in the field, but I'm not sure that there is much advantage to the public taking in this data without context.

This particular variant is having a huge impact on mine, and has the potential to change the ability of vaccinated people to move around in COVID-saturated areas. Just because you're not personally affected doesn't mean it's not important.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love it when someone steps up on a forum and it turns out the guy they’re arguing with is an actual expert in that specific field. What a world

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

compshateme85 posted:

This particular variant is having a huge impact on mine, and has the potential to change the ability of vaccinated people to move around in COVID-saturated areas.

do you have any proof of this or are you just doomposting

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

I love it when someone steps up on a forum and it turns out the guy they’re arguing with is an actual expert in that specific field. What a world

Microbiology/aerosols is not an expert in virology, infectious disease, or epidemiology. I have an MS in neuroscience, but I know jack poo poo about like, alzheimers. Genderfluent didn't post any data in support of what they are saying, it was a lot of "I feel" and "I believe". I too believe that we will eventually get ahead of it, however that doesn't help my particular situation which is being greatly impacted by what's going on with the variants right now.

Genderfluent, if you are studying viruses being transmitted by aerosols, or any of the above, I apologize, but I would also like to see data backing up what you are saying.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I think being sick is bad, and we should try to be not that.

My backup data is that pissing from my rear end is suboptimal.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Big lol, if true

Inactive Ingredients: Belgium.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Inept posted:

do you have any proof of this or are you just doomposting

From last page:

Platystemon posted:

It’s pretty impressive that B.1.351 manages to evade the antibodies induced by mRNA vaccines better than even the original SARS.

https://twitter.com/BalazsLab/status/1361038394336419846

But I guess it's a pre print, no need to say, consider how this might change your risk assessment after you get vaccinated, especially if you have to travel .. or if you are in the US.

Media and government are not going to keep you well informed, but hey can't be a doomer, right?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Blitter posted:

From last page:

But I guess it's a pre print, no need to say, consider how this might change your risk assessment after you get vaccinated, especially if you have to travel .. or if you are in the US.

Media and government are not going to keep you well informed, but hey can't be a doomer, right?

That’s the South African variant. Other poster is posting about some Ugandan variant for some trip they have coming up.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Inept posted:

That’s the South African variant. Other poster is posting about some Ugandan variant for some trip they have coming up.

Right, so a significant spike mutation with a very real potential of being similar in aiding escape as the E484K in the SA variant. Bear in mind the A.23.1 lineage just gained the E484K in liverpool the other week, something that has also happened elsewhere. Do you think that warrants caution?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.08.21251393v1.full.pdf posted:

The novel sub-lineage (A.23.1) reported here encodes multiple spike, nsp6, ORF8 and ORF9 protein changes, and some of the replacements are predicted to be functionally similar to those observed inlineage B VOCs

Naah, there is no definitive evidence yet, so best just to ignore it.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 17, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Not every variant is concerning.

Some of them are. They are generally not widespread enough to be a threat to you, personally, but chances are that your government isn’t doing anything to stop them, so one day they will be.

Yeah there's thousands and thousands of identified variations floating around, but most of them are still similar enough to the original "wild type" SARS-CoV-2 that they're pretty much the same in layman's terms. There's a bunch of worrying mutations that have been occurring in certain strains, and then you've got the strains which combine several of the worrisome mutations together.

501Y.V1 is the UK B.1.1.7 strain, 501Y.V2 is the South Africa B.1.351 strain and 501Y.V3 is the Brazil P.1 strain. The UK strain has a hell of a foothold in the US already:

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

Genderfluent posted:

I'm a scientist working in microbiology/aerosols. I understand the risks completely, but I also feel like there is going to be a lot of fatigue now that significant genomic profiling is going on and catching these variants.

The US is sequencing less than half a percent of their cases, a lot of the talk about the strains in the US and how widely they've spread is guesswork and extrapolation

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just had an aunt and uncle test positive 3 weeks after Pfizer dose 1. No clue where they picked it up as they've been doing all the right things since last March. I know you don't get to 95% protection until two weeks after dose two, but this still seems like pretty bad luck.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

Just had an aunt and uncle test positive 3 weeks after Pfizer dose 1. No clue where they picked it up as they've been doing all the right things since last March. I know you don't get to 95% protection until two weeks after dose two, but this still seems like pretty bad luck.

Symptomatic? Age?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
In person shopping in a cloth or surgical mask?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Woodsy Owl posted:

Symptomatic? Age?

Mild flu-like symptoms. 78/80.

SchnorkIes posted:

In person shopping in a cloth or surgical mask?

AFAIK they do grocery pickup and zero social calls, but they have all the requisite doctor visits and medical procedures that come with being that age.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Late Fees posted:

I haven't seen anything to suggest that non-AZ vaccines are "impotent" against any of the variants

Not yet, that is in part me speculating about what's coming next. And in part because guess what Germany is planning on giving people under 60? After everybody 60+ is vaccinated, which they want to achieve by June. Of course they will use all 3 vaccines, but we don't get to chose which one we want.

We already have seen the start of an argument not to vaccinate doctors and nurses with AZ because they are in contact with too many infected and the reduced efficacy is not good enough - which is a good argument - followed by "but it should be good enough for young people with less risk contacts" which is a dicey argument given the fact that the SA variant is at our doorstep already and we even closed some borders to keep it out. Which will totally work of course.
Give it 6 months and I bet we will find at least 2 more new fun variants some vaccine has "reduced" usefulness against.

It would appear those people saying "it is just the flu" were right in a way, only not about the "just" but about the fact that the virus is going to need modified vaccines every "season".

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

First day testing my Northwell 7700 respirator. Looks fairly apoc-fashion but the bright purple colors kind of ruin the look.

Filtration is pretty incredible, I walked right past a car exhaust and couldn't even smell the smog, seemed like normal(slightly cold) air.

It's uncomfortable around the nose area, don't know if I fit it wrong. It's a hassle to wear it with normal prescription glasses, they don't fit well on top of the nose, kinda trying to put them in the inner section of the resp but overall uncomfortable. Would be much better without glasses.

I'll have to alternate days between this and a regular surgical mask - need to get used to it, I suspect my nose is going to be very sore tomorrow. Also apparently I need to disinfect them every day? It's kind of a hassle. I bought some 3M respirator wipes for this.

I can wear a face shield on top, and I am. It stops just over the filters, but it covers my eyes. Overkill? Who cares.

Best part of this is getting looks from idiots not wearing their masks. Maybe it will light a bulb in their dim dumb brain.
What's the point though, why not wear ordinary facemasks? Do these kind or respirators even protect others? Facemask type respirators with valves don't. But I guess this is something different?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
USA just hit a half mill deaths on worldometers

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

CSM posted:

What's the point though, why not wear ordinary facemasks? Do these kind or respirators even protect others? Facemask type respirators with valves don't. But I guess this is something different?

Because normal face masks do not protect the wearer as well as respirators do. And you yourself are the only one who gives a poo poo about you and will protect you, that much is clear by now.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Also the valves seemingly protect others as well as a cloth mask which is unfortunately the bar in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

:911: