Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Especially off the back of us discussing Wild "possibly an actual KKK member" Bow.

This is stupid bullshit, please don't post like this in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

It's well known that anything but Instant Full Communism Forever is fascism. Biden isn't exactly what I'd personally consider an ideal candidate, but the notion that he and Donald Trump are at all equivalent, or him being the Democratic candidate suddenly makes trying to defeat Trump a worthless effort, is pretty laughable, and if one off-hand mention in a note that the author was volunteering for the candidate opposing Trump is enough to make Larry go "lol the author is a worthless lib, gently caress this story," then I think CSPAM has poisoned his brain a bit too much. Especially off the back of us discussing Wild "possibly an actual KKK member" Bow.

Larry said he liked Pith, it just had a certain political bend that he was uncomfortable with. Also, Wildbow is a terrible author but calling him a KKK member is super hosed up and should not be done. Lies have a way of spreading and causing harm.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Peachfart posted:

Larry said he liked Pith, it just had a certain political bend that he was uncomfortable with.

If he stopped at that it would be fine. But he went further and was mocking the author for volunteering after they said worried about the the state of the US and the rise of a fascist/white supremacist streak in politics (and lying/exaggerating about what was said). Then he pulled the "both sides are the same" card and said madwhitesnake actually supported a fascist candidate himself.

So maybe he does have some honest criticism, but since everything following it is just some variation of how the author is a libtard who is apparently "a kool-aid drinker" (that's an actual quote, and one they repeat) it kinda does come across as disingenuous.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 16, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Narmi posted:

Are you seriously calling Biden a fascist?

Yes. I'm sorry that you can't see that. The US has met both classical and modern definitions my entire life, whether it be the merger of corporation and state or the deployment of colonial police strategy against the home population. We do both. We live in a fascist state. If it makes you uncomfortable I really dont know what to tell you. So I'm not going to cheer when a 1% less horrible dude gets elected, and I'm definetly going to think something's wrong with anyone who does. But that's all just my opinion. Hell, I still like Pith; I just feel sorry that the author is still a liberal despite seemingly knowing exactly how it feels to be poor and be poo poo on by police your whole life. If that makes me some kind of 'cspam moron' calling them a 'libtard' than so be it.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 16, 2021

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
I think I was the one who originally dropped the "Pith seems to have some strange politics" take a few months ago, but I'm not sure I really believe it now that we've hit the end of the first arc and it's kinda pivoted to Commonplace being depicted in much more of a heroic light.

I feel sort of weird speculating about the beliefs of the author herself based on comments outside of the text since she participates in this thread and it's probably kinda uncomfortable, but she's been open about being trans before, so I might speculate that not wanting Trump to win could be less a case of "I am completely behind this guy as a president" and more "I really don't want to be singled out to have my life ruined in the near-term future".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Horizon Burning posted:

bwuh? i ended up in a fantasy world of luxury gay space communism?! a litrpg saga
reincarnated as my little brother's slap drone, but he's in special circumstances??

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Larry Parrish posted:

Yes. I'm sorry that you can't see that. The US has met both classical and modern definitions my entire life, whether it be the merger of corporation and state or the deployment of colonial police strategy against the home population. We do both. We live in a fascist state. If it makes you uncomfortable I really dont know what to tell you. So I'm not going to cheer when a 1% less horrible dude gets elected, and I'm definetly going to think something's wrong with anyone who does. But that's all just my opinion. Hell, I still like Pith; I just feel sorry that the author is still a liberal despite seemingly knowing exactly how it feels to be poor and be poo poo on by police your whole life. If that makes me some kind of 'cspam moron' calling them a 'libtard' than so be it.

American politics at this point is a case study in falcons not hearing falconers but let's keep discussion in this forum focused on books and not politics. If a post is about a character in a book, it can stay here. If a post is about Biden or Trump it goes in a different subforum. Thanks all.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One thing that has become obvious to me is that readers on Royal Road are... Largely not very discerning when it comes to quality and will read literally anything if it contains the tropes, character types or themes they are interested in.

To give an example, roughly a year ago I posted twelve chapters of comprehensively mediocre fiction over the course of a month. It was pretty bad, I did not really proof read it, I did not plan out the story and wrote myself into a hole and the average rating is barely over four stars, quite justifiably given it was Not Good. However the average views per chapter is 1,628 and it has 321 followers? That is from posting 12 chapters of mediocre ramblings that apparently hit some popular buttons for people. Also a lovely Paint edited cover instead of something decent or properly drawn.

Katalepsis is legitimately great, is well written and has been consistently updating on the site, once a week, for well over a year. It has good prose! Real characters! An actual story and 112 chapters on the site. It even has reviews almost as good as it deserves.

The rubbish I posted a year ago has 90% of the average views per chapter and, extra stupidly, almost 40% of the Followers numbers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
post the link u coward

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Patrat posted:

One thing that has become obvious to me is that readers on Royal Road are... Largely not very discerning when it comes to quality and will read literally anything if it contains the tropes, character types or themes they are interested in.

To give an example, roughly a year ago I posted twelve chapters of comprehensively mediocre fiction over the course of a month. It was pretty bad, I did not really proof read it, I did not plan out the story and wrote myself into a hole and the average rating is barely over four stars, quite justifiably given it was Not Good. However the average views per chapter is 1,628 and it has 321 followers? That is from posting 12 chapters of mediocre ramblings that apparently hit some popular buttons for people. Also a lovely Paint edited cover instead of something decent or properly drawn.

Katalepsis is legitimately great, is well written and has been consistently updating on the site, once a week, for well over a year. It has good prose! Real characters! An actual story and 112 chapters on the site. It even has reviews almost as good as it deserves.

The rubbish I posted a year ago has 90% of the average views per chapter and, extra stupidly, almost 40% of the Followers numbers.

To be fair, Katalepsis also has its own website and I think a lot of readers drift over there instead of reading on RR or Scribblehub.

Also, thank you very much for saying so!

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Patrat posted:

Katelepsis is one of the best webfictions I've come across, but I can understand why it's not popular/trending on RR. I think RR also generally favours multiple updates per week, since the odds of being seen increase, which gets you to trending.

Then there's the fact that the author's site is way more popular for readers. I stick to the author's wordpress site for updates (thugh I do have Katalepsis favourited on RR and left a review, but that's just to show support), especially since that's where they post advance chapters. I know others do this as well; most readers stick to the wordpress site for reading/commenting. e: Or they go to discord to discuss the series. Not to mention if you find the story from TWF (where it's top 10), it links back to the wordpress site. So all this probably doesn't help build up a following on RR.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 16, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, he's right. Take a gander at the Popular page sometime. A lot of them are good and deserve to be there... but then you've got a lot of stuff where the description is basically listing ingredients and says nothing at all about what it is or what the themes are. And if you bother to try to read them, it's just what it says on the tin. A bunch of ingredients without being blended into an actual story.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
To push back a little on the idea that there is no justice and terrible stories succeed while good ones fail on RR, I'll say that the majority of readers who consume the schlock-content and push up its numbers are probably very low-investment. Mine is performing like ridiculously badly on all of those metrics, but it hasn't stopped it from having slowly becoming financially successfulish, though it obviously doesn't compete with the stuff that puts massive backlogs behind a paywall.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Hungry posted:

To be fair, Katalepsis also has its own website and I think a lot of readers drift over there instead of reading on RR or Scribblehub.

Also, thank you very much for saying so!

True, you moved Katalepsis to RR fairly late into writing it with an established audience elsewhere. I figured I should give the shout out though and it was the best example I could find of a criminally less popular than it should be story on the site. Like, you have legitimately good writing there, I read out the first paragraph to my dad (who is in his 70s and continuously reads books) and it successfully hooked him with praise for the prose.

Some of the stuff on Royal Road front few pages is good, Beware of Chicken is legitimately great fun, I have been keeping up with Tower of Somnus and like Forge of Destiny. Magic-Smithing though? If somebody at work submitted documentation to me written like that I would send it back for revision and it is on the front page with nearly ten thousand followers.

Actually that reminds me, I have not seen a shout out to Mage and Smith here yet and that is a decent fantasy story that is definitely better than some published stuff I have read. It is not amazing but definitely readable and the author seems to have a properly plotted out story along with characters who are not black and white. Though some of them do seem to be at first glance? It turns out to be not so straight forwards though which is nice.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I can't think of a story on royalroad that I consider legitimately good and that wasn't originally published somewhere else first.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PoorWeather posted:

To push back a little on the idea that there is no justice and terrible stories succeed while good ones fail on RR, I'll say that the majority of readers who consume the schlock-content and push up its numbers are probably very low-investment. Mine is performing like ridiculously badly on all of those metrics, but it hasn't stopped it from having slowly becoming financially successfulish, though it obviously doesn't compete with the stuff that puts massive backlogs behind a paywall.

I didn't mean that either; simply that sort of almost color-by-numbers stuff remains popular. I think there might be more of it, simply by volume, though. It's the same way on Kindle.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
speaking of websites, mda.wtf is now mobile friendly or at least, less mobile hostile

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PoorWeather posted:

A lot of the RR things I read are fodder for killing time while climbing stairs/treadmill running. Quantity and not having to think hard about prose are positives are worth a lot for that

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My consumption of online trash tier fiction certainly jumped up a... lot thanks to lockdown especially with working from home eliminating my commute. With the general malaise one tends to fall into it is not as if I would enjoy a legitimately well written book more, I just want unchallenging mind fuel to keep me ticking over.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI 8.08 J patreon - that was a goddamn INCREDIBLE loving chapter. holy poo poo fetohep rules, jecaina rules, get hosed perric

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My estimation of Fetoheps character improves the more I see of him. What a great character.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Larry Parrish posted:

Beneath the Dragoneye Moons - Standard isekai, kind of like how Beware of Chicken is in many ways a standard xianxia. Much like that one it's a hell of a lot more captivating than I would normally find such a standard genre fiction. It has a fairly gritty and depressing setting, but with a relentless tone of youthful optimism. I like it a lot.

I keep getting distracted every time I remember, but I wanted to second this. It's very good, and I also really enjoy reading it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VictualSquid posted:

I can't think of a story on royalroad that I consider legitimately good and that wasn't originally published somewhere else first.
eh I think Mother of Learning is good even if it doesn't stick the ending - it's rare for something to get me to bother hanging around to find out whether the ending is good

also Beware of Chicken is great and lighthearted so far so if it doesn't take a nosedive I will stick up to defend it in seventeen years when it's done

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Mother of Learning didn't originate on Royal Road.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

eh I think Mother of Learning is good even if it doesn't stick the ending - it's rare for something to get me to bother hanging around to find out whether the ending is good

also Beware of Chicken is great and lighthearted so far so if it doesn't take a nosedive I will stick up to defend it in seventeen years when it's done

MOL was fictionpress, and Beware of Chicken is a spacebattles story.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Katreus posted:

MOL was fictionpress, and Beware of Chicken is a spacebattles story.

Questionable Questing story actually!

Please do not google that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I would say BtC is more of a 'start posting everywhere you can, including RR' story. I'd be willing to be the only reason why the author posted the RR chapters slightly behind the other sites was due to backlog and visibility concerns.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gonna post some stuff I picked up recently on RR and have been enjoying:

Ave Xia Rem Y - A neat lil xianxia about a good boy who means well. Written, oddly, in the present tense, and the prose in general has this very... tender? Feel to it. Like the author is trying to sketch his scenes in delicate little brush strokes.

The Calamity of a Reborn Witch - Oh, this is fun. Fun in large part because of how it falls squarely into a genre that I don't see nearly enough of: mean girl court politics. It's all about weathering 24/7 gossip offensives because the wrong guy is horny for you with the occasional spot of vitriolage. I am, in fact, having so much fun just with the mean girl stuff that the fantasy elements seem superfluous. Recommend me some more like this, please.

The Cassandrian Theory - New follow up to Quod Olim Erat and The Scuu Paradox, and if you've read either of those you'll know exactly what you're in for here: conspiracies, mysteries, ambiguity and character motivations you'll need to divine from your tea leaves. Good stuff. This one appears to be focusing on the machinations of the Med Core, because in this universe literally everyone needs to be running their own game, even the doctors.

RE: Monarch - You might be able to guess this one from the name, it's one of them time loop stories with the dying and the trying desperately to work out what's going on. I am a huge mark for characters doing great passionate suffering, and our protagonist here is bitter and wounded even before he's repeatedly violently murdered and betrayed. It's delicious.

The Perfect Run - This one's had a lot of chat in the thread already so I'll just say I appreciate how lean and focused it is? It feels like a story that knows exactly where it's going and how it wants to get there, the thing that serial fiction is really bad at doing. Also Len is fine, I don't understand what problem people have with Len.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What was said negative about Len?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ytlaya posted:

The second time you meet Len kind of soured me a bit because her dynamic with the protagonist seems to be "Len is enamored with him to the point where she's been remotely spying on him, but he's just too unpredictable and dangerous!" Kinda contributes to the general feeling I get that the author unironically thinks the protagonist is really cool, even if he's not entirely mentally stable. It's cool that she's a communist tho.

Jazerus posted:

vainqueur worked because the characters were pretty likable. i didn't care for the MC in perfect run, and once i figured out i wasn't a big Len fan either i dropped it

Ah it's not about Len actually, it's about how the story functions around her. I misremembered.

Well, I disagree anyway. :toot:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Len is fine, she misses the main character while being mad that, you know, he killed her dad. It isn't rocket science.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Patrat posted:

I read out the first paragraph to my dad (who is in his 70s and continuously reads books) and it successfully hooked him with praise for the prose.

The idea of a well-read gentleman in his 70s enjoying my story about lesbian magicians having complicated feelings and doing murders is blowing my mind, thank you so much for this.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hungry posted:

The idea of a well-read gentleman in his 70s enjoying my story about lesbian magicians having complicated feelings and doing murders is blowing my mind, thank you so much for this.

Classy gents know the best prose is about doing murders :hmmyes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Len is fine, she misses the main character while being mad that, you know, he killed her dad. It isn't rocket science.

I don't think this is accurate? IIRC her dad was some sort of horrid villain and she just isn't comfortable around the MC because of the way he's connected to this source of great stress/trauma for her. Her perspective isn't "I dislike this guy for killing my dad" but "I want to move on and being around the guy who killed my dad makes that hard, even if what he did wasn't wrong."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's both. She explicitly says that Quicksave didn't have the right to kill her dad because he was her dad. It's a fascinating bit of dialog because the main character was also terribly abused by the dude, and if he hadn't tipped off the wandering heroes, the dad would have become an extinction level event. So he absolutely did have the right, but the dialog shows that Len has not at all processed her trauma. She hasn't fully let go of the part of her that loved her dad. Hasn't fully accepted that he became a monster and had to be put down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Noo, I finally caught up with Threads of Destiny. This new foreign tribe is interesting.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Dived into the depths that is royal road and everything is still mostly trash but I did find a pretty neat story called Deeper Darker. Basically a science fiction take on whole dungeon delving genre with three main characters. It makes me laugh which is more than I can say for most of the rest of what RR offers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Re: Monarch

First couple of chapters were not good then the whole scary cabin arch was great. Not sold on it 100% yet but it’s got potential.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Affi posted:

Re: Monarch

First couple of chapters were not good then the whole scary cabin arch was great. Not sold on it 100% yet but it’s got potential.

It's okay. The story starts to wander a bit after that and loses the plot. Still worth reading, but the cabin part was probably the best part of the story so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm really enjoying Beware of Chicken. It's great that it keeps having me think things like, gently caress yeah apiaries!