Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My spouse is getting sent to Afghanistan. Because of Covid, I won't see him in person for over two years.

Every house on this block has been exposed to covid due to non-mask stuff. I found this out when my reardoor neighbors (yes you can joke about this) called me a few minutes ago and told me I'm the only person who still wears a mask and asked me why; clearly covid isn't so bad if everyone around me hasn't died to it. (They had covid in November)

My county is at 1 death per 1000 people at the moment and we are a tiny county in Georgia.

The Japanese restaurant I went past yesterday had people waiting outside in a line to get in with no masks on and the entire parking lot was so full people were parking across the street. I snuck in to pay; every table was full of unmasked people. I hid in my car to wait for my order.

I had to get a fix to my car yesterday, too. I begged them to wear a mask while in my car (they wouldn't let me pull it in) and I was met with eyerolls and my car was open to the bay full of dudes with no mask on for like half an hour. Most of the office was maskless behind closed doors with each other, too, and one of the folks who worked there was just hanging out with a coffee and no mask in the waiting room.

I went outside again.

What should I do to disinfect my car, though? Is it even worth it?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's loving exhausting is what it is. We're all hurting and things are lovely all over, but people constantly dumping insanely pessimistic and negative doom posting poo poo in every thread all the time about everything just makes it worse.

I will say I'm not trying to do this; more like post from Georgia about what it is around here and what it's really like; especially for posters 5-10 years in the future from areas where this was treated seriously. It isn't here. It's just crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What should I do to disinfect my car, though? Is it even worth it?

Based on the latest science, surface transmission is a not a major vector for infection. As long as you've aired your car out since then, you don't have much to worry about there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I would air the car out (which you probably already did) and then treat the car like you would the supermarket or something like that for a couple of days--just don't touch your face while driving and disinfect when you get out.

You aren't doom posting Fluffy Bunnies, your posts are honest descriptions, like you said. That really sucks about your partner's deployment, btw :(

Doom posting is the zero content "Abandon all hope BLEUURGH! nothing matters LOL" crap.

I feel like I'm in a poker tournament where a bunch of people who busted in the first hour are now screaming that the rest of us should stop playing but we're barely halfway done.

Switzerland is just about going to maybe get below the threshold where we restricted things before Christmas (despite the claims, it wasn't anything close to a proper lockdown--we closed non-essential shops and limited restaurants to delivery and take-away) and people are signing petitions California-recall style to end the "lockdown" immediately. It's so depressing because we're at the point again where we can actually really stamp down the numbers while WFH would make it much easier to get vaccinated as that ramps up, but instead we're gonna opener up and try and pretend that people aren't sick and dying all over the place once summer comes around (did you know that hot weather kills covid?).

greazeball fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 18, 2021

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

If someone played a loud phone recording of violent coughing whenever they encountered an anti-masker in public would that be illegal?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I spoke to my grandparents yesterday and got the rundown of who in the family is failing due to old age and how they're all getting covid because they go get their hair done or go play darts with their war buddies and this and that. My grandparents tell me they're taking it seriously but then in the same call tell me about having cousins and friends come stay with them at their beach house and how my parents and aunt and uncle and everyone is all hanging out and having a good time BUT WE'RE DOING IT SAFELY and I just.. ugh. My brother and his wife keeps posting pictures of them at the beach with my parents having fun and it's just a lot to deal with. There's always this tone of "We wish you could be here like your brother" when speaking with my family on the phone that isn't explicitly said that way but I know because they're happily going to visit them that I look like the pariah or they get sad because they haven't seen me in a year. They of course preface it with "We know why you're staying home but...." every time.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.cell.com/biophysj/fulltext/S0006-3495(21)00116-8

Makes me second guess wearing a respirator, the air it inhales is pretty dry

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.cell.com/biophysj/fulltext/S0006-3495(21)00116-8

Makes me second guess wearing a respirator, the air it inhales is pretty dry

Well that's sort of the point, surely? You're trying to stop droplets containing the virus from reaching your tender mucous membranes, if a respirator has any advantage at all over a surgical mask it's that the much thicker filter medium can stop that much more moisture from passing*, which brings its own problems.

* Which is why you absolutely have to replace the filters regularly, you'd be astonished just how quickly mold and even fungus can accumulate on them.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I spoke to my grandparents yesterday and got the rundown of who in the family is failing due to old age and how they're all getting covid because they go get their hair done or go play darts with their war buddies and this and that. My grandparents tell me they're taking it seriously but then in the same call tell me about having cousins and friends come stay with them at their beach house and how my parents and aunt and uncle and everyone is all hanging out and having a good time BUT WE'RE DOING IT SAFELY and I just.. ugh. My brother and his wife keeps posting pictures of them at the beach with my parents having fun and it's just a lot to deal with. There's always this tone of "We wish you could be here like your brother" when speaking with my family on the phone that isn't explicitly said that way but I know because they're happily going to visit them that I look like the pariah or they get sad because they haven't seen me in a year. They of course preface it with "We know why you're staying home but...." every time.

You're not alone, and yeah it sucks donkey balls. One thing about this whole pandemic, is it's showing people's true colors when faced with an unseen threat. Many people are still in the mind set of "I want..." and others (like me) are more thinking "I think..."
I'm choosing to educate myself, and not ignore what's happening because I'm selfish, and can't deal with something affecting my life like this. NO ONE going through this will ever forget it. It's life impacting regardless of how serious you think it is/choose to ignore it.

I'm thinking it's probably one of the following scenarios:
1. This pandemic will end within 6-12 months in most countries due to vaccines (I give this ~5-10% chance btw), and all the strict precautions I took might have been more than what was needed in hindsight. So I was over-cautious. I'm fine with that.
2. This pandemic will become the new flu, where we get to a point where we have to get booster vaccines as it mutates. How long that lasts all depends on how it mutates, and how much more deadlier it becomes. It could become the new normal, and part of everyday life (I give this a 40% chance). This would mean I was doing all I could to keep myself safe and others safe from me from the beginning with my decisions.
3. This pandemic will take ~5 years to get "under control" where it's safe enough to start traveling/eating out/social events again. I'm giving this one a 50% chance). Again, this would mean I was doing all I could to keep myself safe and others safe (from me) from the beginning with my decisions.

In all 3 scenarios I'm happy with my decisions assuming I can keep them up without succumbing to fatigue. Every time I have to make a decision involving the pandemic (going out for groceries/supplies while masked or double masked, and wiping the perishables down with disinfectant), I ask myself "Will I be angry at myself if I get/give covid from this?". If the answer is yes, I usually avoid/decline it, or do it with extra protection.

Not sure if it helps, but this random stranger on this old forums site respects you for your decisions that positively affect you and your loved ones (even if they don't realize it).

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The moisture builds up inside the mask from your own breath, it's not going to build up as much in a vented mask, that's the point, but you'll still be breathing filtered air that becomes more humid than outside air if that ends up mattering. There's no need to replace particulate cartridges frequently in pandemic use at all tho

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Baconroll posted:

From the BBC - Covid: Man offered vaccine after error lists him as 6.2cm tall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-56111209

A man in his 30s with no underlying health conditions was offered a Covid vaccine after an NHS error mistakenly listed him as just 6.2cm in height.

Liam Thorp was told he qualified for the jab because his measurements gave him a body mass index of 28,000.

i thought jerma's name was "jeremy"

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Dicknoses. Dicknoses everywhere.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's better here in Australia, but we're always walking a knife's edge and running the risk of loving it all up. Here in Melbourne we just had a snap 5 day hard lockdown (no leaving the house except for essential reasons, all schools closed, masks mandatory everywhere outside your home, etc) because we had a few cases of the UK strain slip out of the returned travelers hotel quarantine system into the community. Luckily it looks like we acted in time and nipped it off before the outbreak could spread any further but of course there's no way of knowing that with 100% certainty so new cases could suddenly pop up at any point and we'd have to lock down all over again.

It occurred to me yesterday that I cannot remember when we last had a covid death. Given we haven't yet started vaccinating yet, it seems like we have become better at treating covid over the last year.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I will say I'm not trying to do this; more like post from Georgia about what it is around here and what it's really like; especially for posters 5-10 years in the future from areas where this was treated seriously. It isn't here. It's just crazy.

IMO there's a world of difference between talking about the bad stuff that's actually happening, like you did, and the tiresome "lol if you think there was any hope about anything ever :smug:" poo poo.

It's the COVID thread, it's not going to be sunshine and lollipops any time soon, but that's why it's also important to take the wins we do get without some smuglord dumping on everyone's parade.

And god drat, that deployment sucks. Hang in there.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I'm taking a crossing guard position at a school as a stopgap measure while I work on technical certifications and look for a more longterm WFH position. Gonna ask if the proximity to kids gets me priority for the jab, but since it's under the police department and ten hours a week the answer is likely "no." Might be time to order some more KN95s to rotate through. The irony of taking a position with huge public exposure while trying to find remote work is not lost on me.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

zgrowler2 posted:

I'm taking a crossing guard position at a school as a stopgap measure while I work on technical certifications and look for a more longterm WFH position. Gonna ask if the proximity to kids gets me priority for the jab, but since it's under the police department and ten hours a week the answer is likely "no." Might be time to order some more KN95s to rotate through. The irony of taking a position with huge public exposure while trying to find remote work is not lost on me.

You probably count as either a cop or a teacher or both in an :f5: lottery scenario but as nothing if you're trying to get work to schedule it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Under the police department? Haven’t the police themselves pigged out on vaccines already, at least the ones who aren’t foaming at the mouth about Soros microchips?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kragger99 posted:

2. This pandemic will become the new flu, where we get to a point where we have to get booster vaccines as it mutates. How long that lasts all depends on how it mutates, and how much more deadlier it becomes. It could become the new normal, and part of everyday life (I give this a 40% chance). This would mean I was doing all I could to keep myself safe and others safe from me from the beginning with my decisions.

I want to start by saying I appreciate the care you take and your conscientiousness in all this.

Then, I want to point out that the most likely mutations we'll see are ones that either
1. Increase contagiousness
2. Decrease deadliness

Simply from natural selection: The virus that kills more hosts will have less chances to spread.

Just in case it allays any of your fears, a deadlier version of the virus is very unlikely to get anywhere.

Of course, with COVID-19 being as deadly as it already is, a more contagious variant (like the UK one) will cause more deaths over time due to the higher likelihood to overwhelm healthcare systems. We are already seeing that variant take over in many countries across Europe and we're waiting for it to be starting "wave 3" any week now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You forgot

3. Antibody escape

There is strong selection pressure on the virus to do this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

It occurred to me yesterday that I cannot remember when we last had a covid death. Given we haven't yet started vaccinating yet, it seems like we have become better at treating covid over the last year.

It was back on December 28, we haven't had any recorded covid deaths in Australia for 2021 yet. We only had 10 deaths from October 13 -> end of year.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

SchnorkIes posted:

You probably count as either a cop or a teacher or both in an :f5: lottery scenario but as nothing if you're trying to get work to schedule it

It's definitely a toss-up. According to Alabama's vaccine allocation plan I think you could make the argument for 1b or 1c depending on how the employer (in this case, the City, administrated through the police) views it. Our vaccination clinics have been rigid enough that there's no real lottery possibility at present. I'll get a straight answer tomorrow either way. Fingers crossed.

Platystemon posted:

Under the police department? Haven’t the police themselves pigged out on vaccines already, at least the ones who aren’t foaming at the mouth about Soros microchips?

Cops are in the next category after healthcare workers here, yeah. I'm gonna note the mask ratio when I go in to meet with them tomorrow. If the locals are any indication, I don't expect many.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I would guess you're 1b as "support staff" for K-12 or law enforcement or both, is there no way to get it other than through the employer there?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

We have, but also because there's so few cases that even when the death toll is around the 1-2% level you're just not going to see deaths crop up very often.

We have the hotel quarantine cases too, but I'd imagine a much smaller proportion of returned travellers are 70+ vulnerable people than in the general population.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
One of the interesting things happening here is Facebook blocking all news sites and links to news stories because they're throwing a tantrum over having to pay for news content.

As a result of their tantrum, a whole lot of government sites and pages - including those related to covid - can't be accessed and information from them cannot be shared.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

SchnorkIes posted:

I would guess you're 1b as "support staff" for K-12 or law enforcement or both, is there no way to get it other than through the employer there?

To my knowledge it's largely set up through the employer directly or gotten by showing up to a general vax clinic and providing documentation that you fit a category presently being vaccinated. The latter are scheduled events that differ by county as far as I know and are announced ahead of time. Given the high turnout at the general clinics in my area when they've happened, I don't think there's much in the way of expiring leftovers that would be used on a first-come, first-served basis to avoid waste.

Lolie posted:

One of the interesting things happening here is Facebook blocking all news sites and links to news stories because they're throwing a tantrum over having to pay for news content.

As a result of their tantrum, a whole lot of government sites and pages - including those related to covid - can't be accessed and information from them cannot be shared.

Are you in an area where Facebook acts as an ISP and controls general internet access? If so, sincere condolences, that's an obscene ability to filter and restrict information based on petty and arbitrary reasons.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 18, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Lolie posted:

Can't you share and visit the actual URLs? Or are even links blocked? Surely Facebook wasn't going to get charged for links.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

zgrowler2 posted:

To my knowledge it's largely set up through the employer directly or gotten by showing up to a general vax clinic and providing documentation that you fit a category presently being vaccinated. The latter are scheduled events that differ by county as far as I know and are announced ahead of time. Given the high turnout at the general clinics in my area when they've happened, I don't think there's much in the way of expiring leftovers that would be used on a first-come, first-served basis to avoid waste.

There's probably chain pharmacies doing it there, the :f5: lottery is strong

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

zgrowler2 posted:

Are you in an area where Facebook acts as an ISP and controls general internet access? If so, sincere condolences, that's an obscene ability to filter and restrict information based on petty and arbitrary reasons.

Cannot be shared *on Facebook*

Xaintrailles posted:

Can't you share and visit the actual URLs? Or are even links blocked? Surely Facebook wasn't going to get charged for links.

No you can't, and yes it was. (Or rather the government wanted it to be, which Facebook was never going to accept, which is how we've landed in this situation.)

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I want to start by saying I appreciate the care you take and your conscientiousness in all this.

Then, I want to point out that the most likely mutations we'll see are ones that either
1. Increase contagiousness
2. Decrease deadliness

Simply from natural selection: The virus that kills more hosts will have less chances to spread.

Just in case it allays any of your fears, a deadlier version of the virus is very unlikely to get anywhere.

Of course, with COVID-19 being as deadly as it already is, a more contagious variant (like the UK one) will cause more deaths over time due to the higher likelihood to overwhelm healthcare systems. We are already seeing that variant take over in many countries across Europe and we're waiting for it to be starting "wave 3" any week now.

B.1.1.7 is both more infectious, and has a higher mortality rate.

This is not surprising, as a disease with a large proportion of asymptomatic spread and a long incubation/infectious period is not going to see the same selection pressures against mortality increase.

Oh, is that doomposting? Do I need a loving paper for you?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nervtag-update-note-on-b117-severity-11-february-2021

Don't worry, it's not a pre-print.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Xaintrailles posted:

You can't share the links/URLs on FB. A whole lot of organisations have been caught in this net, including charities and domestic violence services so it's not as simple as downloading news apps.

The government has hit back by telling people that with formal information sources blocked, FB cannot be regarded as a credible news source anymore.

All of this would be somewhat amusing if our vaccine rollout wasn't due to start next week and if people didn't depend on social media to get information about lockdowns.

Facebook even blocked their own page yesterday.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 18, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Thanks! OK yeah, that is dumber than I could believe on both sides.
I hope this situation doesn't continue because a pure-misinformation Facebook will probably make more money and be even more dangerous.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Facebook is trash, gently caress them, just close your account already

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Yeah I have a hard time thinking of a facebook without "news" as anything but a good thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blitter posted:

B.1.1.7 is both more infectious, and has a higher mortality rate.

Yeah the thing about selection for low mortality is that SARS-CoV-2 already spreads very effectively in the presymptomatic period. It doesn’t make much of a difference if the victim ultimately dies or recoversz

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
So apparently the money allocated for testing in Arizona just somehow went away, so the answer is clearly to stop testing?

quote:

TUCSON (KVOA) - Pima County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry has recommended for the county to suspend all its COVID-19 testing sites in a memo shared Thursday after Arizona reimbursed $1 million of its $40 million spent for testing.

The morning the first state-run vaccine facility in Southern Arizona opened at the University of Arizona, the Pima County administrator released a memorandum recommending the Board of Supervisors to suspend all county-operated COVID-19 testing as of Monday, Feb. 22.

Huckelberry made this recommendation after Arizona recently asked the county to provide its "testing expenses for reimbursement."

After Pima County shared that it had spent more than $40 million in relation to COVID-19 testing, the state said it could only reimburse $1 million at this time.

The state also said it most likely will not be able to reimburse "the entirety of the $40,274,448 need but will likely be able to provide some level of support."

"It appears the funding we believed was set aside in the 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act for COVID-19 testing of $416 million to the State is being used by the State for other purposes," Huckelberry said in the memorandum. "Based on this statement, I would ask the Board to suspend County COVID-19 testing as of Monday, February 22, 2021. This is unfortunate as it was abundantly clear to Pima County that the State allocation was for COVID-19 testing. At least that was the impression we were left with in reviewing the Federal 2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act. We cannot continue to deficit spend and this less than responsible response from the State requires immediate action."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

do we have any idea yet on how effective the Pfizer vaccine is against B.1.1.7?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I. M. Gei posted:

do we have any idea yet on how effective the Pfizer vaccine is against B.1.1.7?

https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-south-africa-variant-covid-vaccines-mutation-2021-2

The lab test showed a weaker response, but the real-world results have yet to be seen. The general sense is that at the very least, the Pfizer vaccine will still be effective enough against the UK and South African strains to reduce symptom severity and keep people out of hospitals. Also, BioNTech claims they can tailor a vaccine to a new variant in six weeks. How long that would take to distribute, though? :shrug:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Dick Jones posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-south-africa-variant-covid-vaccines-mutation-2021-2

The lab test showed a weaker response, but the real-world results have yet to be seen. The general sense is that at the very least, the Pfizer vaccine will still be effective enough against the UK and South African strains to reduce symptom severity and keep people out of hospitals. Also, BioNTech claims they can tailor a vaccine to a new variant in six weeks. How long that would take to distribute, though? :shrug:

Both they and Moderna have been working on a booster for weeks so hopefully we'll get some good news

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

FiskTireBoy posted:

Yeah I have a hard time thinking of a facebook without "news" as anything but a good thing.

Up until now, social media has been hands down the best source of real time information during natural disasters, which are an annual event here. There's going to need to be a rethink both at the level of the relevant agencies as well at the population level. Something else needs to be implemented which can push out information just as fast.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lolie posted:

Up until now, social media has been hands down the best source of real time information during natural disasters, which are an annual event here. There's going to need to be a rethink both at the level of the relevant agencies as well at the population level. Something else needs to be implemented which can push out information just as fast.

The Philippines had a trial with a mesh network of radios where they could use them in a disaster which was bad enough to take down it-telecom infrastructure where a priest or a local teacher could radio in "we're so and so many people, we need water and antibiotics"

Of course the usefulness of that system hinged on the fact that the Phillipines isn't actively antagonistic towards their citizens as opposed to how the American states and federal government views its citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you see the words 'mesh network' you should replace it in your head w 'electrical engineer grift' because until further notice thats what it is, unless ranges are less than half a km

maybe you were talkin about some ham something something