Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol this is just as disingenuous as the original crusade against Dave. Dave's comment was completely innocuous - a wrestler got implants and her performance changed afterwards where she wasn't as snappy in the ring. Any other interpretation is willfully blind

Give it a rest bix
Sorry, I should have been more clear that I agree that this was most likely Dave's intent. What I meant is this:

If you know Dave-ese, then yes, it was fairly easy to discern that he meant what you just said. (Though Dave refused to get into intent after he apologized, even telling people who were defending him with that exact line of thinking to stop doing so.) But it was a byproduct of his habit of being overly vague when there's no reason to be. He made the miscalculation that "she honestly doesn't seem to move as well in the ring since getting implants" was the route that sounded creepy and should be avoided when it wasn't, instead choosing to dance around it and accidentally calling her fat in the process.

But if you DON'T have the weird intimate familiarity with Dave-ese that longtime subscribers do, then I can see why you wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially since I'm fairly sure this was after his mishandling of the Elgin stuff started, which understandably got him poo poo with a bunch of female fans and wrestlers.

EDIT:

John Dudebro posted:

i think dave tries to be extra careful when he talks about women and in the process winds up phrasing things even worse. like, if he hadn't been trying so hard to not specifically mention her breasts he would have gotten a fraction of the poo poo he got but he did and now his brain is permanently broken as a result
Yes, this is a big part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

davidbix posted:

Did it? It was still a lovely thing for Dave to say and far from the first or last really lovely thing he's said about women in the last few years.

post some of these "really lovely things" for us Bix

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
it would be analogous to the coverage of when Jericho wore lifts in his boot and gave more than one woman a black eye, only that analogy implies we’d be talking about nia jax getting something done

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hogan vs Macho Man, Rock vs Austin, Bix vs Dave

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Low Desert Punk posted:

post some of these "really lovely things" for us Bix
Not all of this is before the Peyton Royce thing, but off the top of my head:

* Multiple instances of comments like "Women, y'know?" on audio shows in a "bitches be crazy" context.
* The really opaque Honma reporting that heavily discounted his partner's domestic violence allegations and heavily went in on the idea that she was a Crazy Bitch who got worked by a joke storyline he was doing on a talk show where he had a crush on an actress. This quote is from his audio coverage: "So she’s going through depression because he’s doing a worked angle and anyway, it’s women. What can I say?" (Dave would later claim—like a year later—that he was "the only one to reach out to the cops in Japan"—albeit through an intermediary—as if everyone should have known even though he didn't mention it at the time.)
* When it was pointed out to him in the aftermath of #SpeakingOut that such an overwhelming percentage of sexual assault allegations are true—I think the person tweeting at him used 99%—he went off about how the '90s (he meant the Titangate scandals) showed it to be closer to 55% within the wrestling business. He never explained how he got to 55%, and no matter how I calculated it with the types of cases he'd be using, I came up with a number much higher.
* His entire handling of the Elgin stuff. Regardless of which side you believe. Like using Mo's legal name (against all modern journalistic ethics standards since she hadn't given anyone permission to do so) when Elgin sued her and then using double-speak ("No reporter I've asked would leave out the name of a lawsuit defendant," as if that was the point.) to defend it when called out. Or linking a Tumblr blog designed to smear and slut shame Mo on his forum without any comment (he literally made a post of just the think in the middle of an Elgin thread.) and refusing to explain why when asked.
* His entire handling of the Will Ospreay/Pollyanna stuff, including repeated distortions of when she wrote off his coverage, his refusal to explain why he completely wrote off her side of it, and his sudden decision to stop reporting on the story after Will Cooling told him something that helped Pollyanna's side.
* Some older stuff that I mention only because Francine called him out about it more recently and he never acknowledged her (rightful) concerns.

I don't hate Dave or anything like that in spite of his weird attempts at smearing me lately, but he absolutely has had a pattern.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“Imagine you work for WWE”
“I quit.”

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Not to disrupt the “is Dave problematic” discussion because it’s certainly worth having, but I thought it was really funny on WOR when he knew the name Gordon Sumner and the song Roxanne, but thought that Sting was the lead singer for U2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Brazilian Steakhouse lore

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Karmine posted:

Not to disrupt the “is Dave problematic” discussion because it’s certainly worth having, but I thought it was really funny on WOR when he knew the name Gordon Sumner and the song Roxanne, but thought that Sting was the lead singer for U2.
It was Luther that said Sting was the lead singer of U2, Dave was just playing along

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jesus WEP posted:

It was Luther that said Sting was the lead singer of U2, Dave was just playing along

Dave knows Sting never would have found time to sing in a band with his NWA/WCW schedule

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Brazilian Steakhouse lore

Dave getting huffy that Bryan wouldn’t play along and say a named restaurant to work with his analogy has me howling

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

davidbix posted:

I don't hate Dave or anything like that in spite of his weird attempts at smearing me lately, but he absolutely has had a pattern.

I don’t often agree with bix (sorry bix) but he’s not wrong here, Dave’s handling of Actual Stories when it comes to women and abuse is… charitably, not great.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

his handling of the ospreay poo poo is genuinely disgusting.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Also high level advice that I always subscribe for about always carrying a blade to gig with if you get in trouble with the authorities. I've often considered that in my own life and this episode seals the deal

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Brazilian Steakhouse digression was one of the more bizarre analogies/follow ups WOR has done in awhile.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

jesus WEP posted:

That’s disappointing!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Bryan asking of there was anything funnier than what Dave recapped on BTE was great.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

Also high level advice that I always subscribe for about always carrying a blade to gig with if you get in trouble with the authorities. I've often considered that in my own life and this episode seals the deal

Finding out the "always carry a blade" thing was actually real made me do a complete 180 on the Matt Jackson BTE skits about this.

Also, Oral Sessions is worth a listen today as Renee has Jon on the podcast for a Valentine's Day special and it's a lot of fun. Jon is hilarious and it's real fun how he and Renee play off each other.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLPCdckHgQ

the Brazilian Steakhouse Detour is on youtube

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Alaois posted:

the Brazilian Steakhouse Detour is on youtube

This was a bizarre one, even by Dave standards.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I enjoyed the unnecessarily pluralization of Fogo de Chao's.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I hoped you would say that so that I might make a snappy comeback. I don't have one, tho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Royal Updog posted:

I hoped you would say that so that I might make a snappy comeback. I don't have one, tho.

One of the funniest lines I’ve ever heard tbh

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I couldn’t believe it when I heard it. Dave was in extreme Dave mode from the first second of that episode. Bryan sounded so tired I felt sorry for him lol.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HidaO-Win posted:

Bryan's deadpan,"I'm carrying a blade right now" when Dave got to that King Curtis story was incredible.

Also I'm disappointed there won't be an episode of Young Rock where he hangs out on the beach on a Tuesday while King Curtis' friend reads The Observer out loud.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus, Bryan, don't scare me like that.

Boom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alvin Byrfez to WWE???

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Looking forward to "Dave fact checks Young Rock" as a recurring segment :allears:

e: oh my God the banana story :lol:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 18, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Arbite posted:

Jesus, Bryan, don't scare me like that.

Boom.

what am i looking at

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
BREAKING! More Dave Banana Lore in todays WOR!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Some say that somewhere, the Preschool vs. Kids Park debate continues ever onward.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dango Bango posted:

Looking forward to "Dave fact checks Young Rock" as a recurring segment :allears:

Dave's indignant "those were MY bananas!"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dango Bango posted:

I hope it does. Add both of those to the Fogo de Chao it's been absolutely hilarious

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For this example, I'll just do the Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan but for my own name. Two seconds later:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Here is a wrestling podcast done by two friends of mine: https://www.torturewracked.com/podcast

They just released episode 22 where they talk about NJPW, the Royal Rumble, and the wrestling debut of Haunted Francis!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dave's indignant "those were MY bananas!"

I died.

And she smashed a banana into his hair first! Chaquita proudly presents Banana War Games in Young Dave's Apartment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan's quiet,"Young Dave..." comment was loving amazing.

Love the fact that it never quite occurred to Dave until this show that it's telling that he and his girlfriend broke up later the same night that they mashed bananas into each other's hair.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I missed out on the banana smashing in each other's hair part of girlfriend breakups. :(

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Bryan Alvarez, a self-employed man, complaining from his beach house that he doesn’t take holidays off from work when the people administering the vaccines do.

Like, I get that it’s all just a gimmick so I’m not out here trying to cancel Bryan but oof not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Karmine posted:

Bryan Alvarez, a self-employed man, complaining from his beach house that he doesn’t take holidays off from work when the people administering the vaccines do.

Like, I get that it’s all just a gimmick so I’m not out here trying to cancel Bryan but oof not great.

You should take a vacation from listening to Alvarez! :agesilaus: