Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shine posted:

Big Show is cool, and when you meet him in person you realize just how loving large he is. It makes sense that nobody has ever lifted him (he's too big).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8Gc1dvZNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shine posted:

Big Show is cool, and when you meet him in person you realize just how loving large he is. It makes sense that nobody has ever lifted him (he's too big).

i think i've told this story before but when wwecw had just started my friends and i went to a house show somewhere in dryhump massachusetts. show vs sabu was the main in an extreme rules match

crowd was what you think it would be for an ecw revival, which was to say smarky and obnoxious as gently caress, but show worked his rear end off and took a hard bump through a table in the corner after sabu legitimately kicked him in the beak. after the match my dipshit friends and i started a "thank you show!" chant and he turned and gave us a little bow before leaving the ring. i always appreciated that he could have sleepwalked his way through throwing sabu through furniture but gave us in the middle of nowhere a quality hardcore match

i was in the front row and at one point he was leaning back against the ropes and I thought "if those ropes snap the first four rows die." he looked mythically huge

sandman stood on my chair for his entrance but i was taking a piss at the time and sadly didn't get soaked with drunk wrestler spit

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I think it's as simple as WCW believing WWF "discovered" Taz, and wanted to yank Awesome before the WWF "found" him.

Edit: Vince and Heyman had shared talent and whatnot before, and had an existing relationship. WCW must've been aware, but were probably thinking that WWF 'promoting' ECW guys was going to be a regular thing, especially given Heyman's money problems.

Russo and Bischoff wanted a big moment to kick off their run in charge and signing the ECW champion who they were told was free and clear of his ECW contract seemed like a great idea. It didn't really have anything to do with Taz, WCW and WWF were continually signing different ECW talent when they got the chance.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

This is one of my favorite clips ever. That Goldberg was easily able to lift The Giant means he may well have been able to lift The Big Show, but sadly we'll never know. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Russo and Bischoff wanted a big moment to kick off their run in charge and signing the ECW champion who they were told was free and clear of his ECW contract seemed like a great idea. It didn't really have anything to do with Taz, WCW and WWF were continually signing different ECW talent when they got the chance.

Interesting!

- Sandman (Hardcore Hak) joined WCW in Sept. '98
- Bam Bam Bigelow - Nov. 98
- Mikey Whipwreck - March 99
- Saturn - Sept. 97
- Lance Storm - June '00

Before that, Juventud, Rey, Psicosis, Malenko, Eddie, Jericho, and others came from ECW, though Eddie had been there before.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Critical posted:

i think i've told this story before but when wwecw had just started my friends and i went to a house show somewhere in dryhump massachusetts. show vs sabu was the main in an extreme rules match

crowd was what you think it would be for an ecw revival, which was to say smarky and obnoxious as gently caress, but show worked his rear end off and took a hard bump through a table in the corner after sabu legitimately kicked him in the beak. after the match my dipshit friends and i started a "thank you show!" chant and he turned and gave us a little bow before leaving the ring. i always appreciated that he could have sleepwalked his way through throwing sabu through furniture but gave us in the middle of nowhere a quality hardcore match

i was in the front row and at one point he was leaning back against the ropes and I thought "if those ropes snap the first four rows die." he looked mythically huge

sandman stood on my chair for his entrance but i was taking a piss at the time and sadly didn't get soaked with drunk wrestler spit

Show catches entirely too much poo poo.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Red posted:

Interesting!

- Sandman (Hardcore Hak) joined WCW in Sept. '98
- Bam Bam Bigelow - Nov. 98
- Mikey Whipwreck - March 99
- Saturn - Sept. 97
- Lance Storm - June '00

Before that, Juventud, Rey, Psicosis, Malenko, Eddie, Jericho, and others came from ECW, though Eddie had been there before.

What about Raven?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sabu, Malenko and Eddy Guerrero came over right before Nitro started. Public Enemy and Benoit were in soon after. Woman returned and Psicosis debuted in WCW in January 1996. Mysterio was in in mid-1996 and Juventud Guerrera and Jericho soon after.

Numero6 posted:

What about Raven?

As Scotty Flamingo in 1992-93 and entered as Raven in 1997. Stevie Richards came over as well.

e: And Mikey Whipwreck!

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 19, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shine posted:

This is one of my favorite clips ever. That Goldberg was easily able to lift The Giant means he may well have been able to lift The Big Show, but sadly we'll never know. :(

That one clip overrules all information since that Goldberg was just an untrained hoss with a good gimmick. He was truly something special, like Brock after him. That there hasn't been a Brock since Brock is remarkable though.

How many The Next Brock's have there been? There was Matt Morgan, there was Batista but that went a different direction, and while looking this up theres another one just this year in the last two weeks:

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeymanHustle/status/1345159942777561088

He signed this month.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Critical posted:

Last year at an indy show in Chicago, Sami Callihan grabbed me by my collar and pulled me out of my chair so he could use it for a spot with Mance Warner. This was roughly a month before the country went on lockdown from COVID and he was spitting everywhere.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Firstborn posted:

I cannot stop loving watching Botchamania is there a support group/thread
I haven't watched since the Attitude Era and I'm crying laughing help my face hurts
I have 390 episodes to go please im dying

it's a very good series.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sticklefifer posted:

Regarding Awesome and Taz, it still blows my mind that in the year 2000, a WWF wrestler fought a WCW wrestler in ECW, and everyone involved allowed it to happen.

What's equally as weird is that it happened in the days of WWF running columns and articles and stuff on their website and they did a surprisingly good and in depth article on the politics of getting the ECW belt off Mike Awesome. I wish I could remember who wrote it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Show catches entirely too much poo poo.

It's because despite being charismatic as hell and hard-working he's so lumbering his matches max out at 'above average'. Which isn't really something you want out of somebody getting slotted into main event programs for 20 years.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He comes across as a casualty of WWE's insane travel schedule. Whenever he actually got any time off, he'd always come back looking like he dropped 50 pounds and was in the best shape of his life. Then he'd gain all the weight back until it was time for his next vacation.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

he was also terribly booked his entire career.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ItohRespectArmy posted:

he was also terribly booked his entire career.

except 1996 WCW

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Lid posted:

except 1996 WCW

yea

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Whenever I throw on an old Nitro or Thunder I’m always a little surprised by how much more I enjoy The Giant over Big Show. Like he just looked cooler, the hair + beard, the way he dressed, the way he carried himself. As soon he got to WWF they stripped most of that away, booked him like poo poo and then sent him to OVW when he didn’t get over.
Then now forever

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I don’t know anything about following wrestling around the time of the Steiner math promo. Did it get a big reaction at the time? Was it a meme instantly? Was it meant to be funny? Did TNA script stuff at the time?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

0konner posted:

I don’t know anything about following wrestling around the time of the Steiner math promo. Did it get a big reaction at the time? Was it a meme instantly? Was it meant to be funny? Did TNA script stuff at the time?

Goons liked it (requires archives) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2839477&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE never really figured out that a guy like Big Show works best as a "special attraction" and not a full-time roster member -- you bring him in once in a while for a monster run, he puts over a rising babyface, and then disappears long enough for fans to miss him and pop big for his return. Instead he was just wrestling on TV every week and doing wacky backstage segments, he had zero mystique or aura, and they somehow managed to make him Just A Guy despite his obvious spectacle appeal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

He comes across as a casualty of WWE's insane travel schedule. Whenever he actually got any time off, he'd always come back looking like he dropped 50 pounds and was in the best shape of his life. Then he'd gain all the weight back until it was time for his next vacation.

Imagine if Show had been booked as an attraction and not a full timer. Of course where would he go? Another casualty of we can’t miss him if he never leaves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

WWE never really figured out that a guy like Big Show works best as a "special attraction" and not a full-time roster member -- you bring him in once in a while for a monster run, he puts over a rising babyface, and then disappears long enough for fans to miss him and pop big for his return. Instead he was just wrestling on TV every week and doing wacky backstage segments, he had zero mystique or aura, and they somehow managed to make him Just A Guy despite his obvious spectacle appeal.

I remember a segment where the following happened

Show does that slingshot into the ring deal big guys do to show off agility. He did it super smooth.

He drills Test with a nice dropkick. Wastes zero time, chokeslams Test hard. 1 2 3.

If they'd done that a bit more, maybe this conversation gets avoided. I guess he still did pretty okay and I think he's one of the better big men.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It also kinda sucks that his debut is being a big idiot and accidentally helping Austin win a cage match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
also The Giant's chokeslam hasn't really been emulated well since him, he was the only guy to get people up and then loving DRILL THEM falling down alongside them

not to his knees like straight to the ground

it looked awesome

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I can’t believe you guys are ignoring the fact that only Vince McMahon knows how to book a giant properly

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok but hear me out. Big Show as Val Venis was funny.

https://youtu.be/kdcWkpN8yNo

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Here's a round-up of Big Show's first year and a half in the WWF that I once put together for the WCW thread:

- Debuts by interfering in the cage match between Stone Cold and Vince McMahon, with Michael Cole crowing "Paul Wight! IT'S PAUL WIGHT!". Throws Stone Cold into the cage, which swings open and allows Stone Cold to win the match.

- Fought Mankind at perhaps the most convoluted Wrestlemania (Russomania) ever, where he was an afterthought in deciding who should be the special guest referee for the main event. Loses by disqualification.

- He turns face afterwards and joins The Union of People You Oughta Respect Son, which somehow spells the acronym U.P.Y.O.U.R.S, with Mankind and various other midcarders who no longer had anything to do since leaving The Corporation.

- Turns heel by forming a tag team with The Undertaker, which is mostly notable for Paul Bearer driving them out into the desert and Undertaker having a motorbike and Big Show also maybe having a motorbike so Undertaker can bury Big Show up to his neck in the sand and Big Show said gently caress you or something and this was all a test to see if Big Show had what it took to be a dead man so Undertaker went back with his motorbike and

- Undertaker is injured, takes several months out, so Big Show turns face again. Randomly wins the WWF title because Triple H, The Rock and Mankind have better things to do, like feuding with Vince and Al Snow. Feuds with the Big Boss Man and surfs on his dead daddy's coffin.

- Loses the title to Triple H on Raw.

- Is the last eliminated in the Royal Rumble but still gets a Wrestlemania storyline due to The Rock screwing up (?) and touching the ground first. Shows up the episode of Saturday Night Live hosted by The Rock (along with Triple H and Mick Foley), where he gets praise for being funny and having some natural charisma. Is the first one eliminated in the Wrestlemania main event.

- Because of his performance on SNL we got the "Big Show just wants to have fun" gimmick, where he'd be "wacky" and "hilarious" in all sorts of pre-written WWF skits. Turns face and feuds with Shane McMahon, loses, then turns heel and becomes Shane's friend again a few months later.

- Is sent down to developmental for being too fat, less than a year after being WWF champion.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Right before he got sent down to developmental, they were going to do a Bikertaker/BIg Show feud for SummerSlam. Saw them try it out at a house show match from the second row and 1) yes, Big Show is mythically huge; and 2) at one point on a chokeslam false finish, Show chokes Taker, Taker hocks up a huge loogie that comes to rest on the ropes and dangles there for the rest of the night.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

davidbix posted:

Basically, he stole the show when The Rock hosted SNL two weeks earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR7i1YFH-QQ

Did this show start with Vince giving everybody a pep talk backstage and catching out Big Show for having a steel chair behind his back? Is this a thing I actually remember?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

XeeD posted:

Did this show start with Vince giving everybody a pep talk backstage and catching out Big Show for having a steel chair behind his back? Is this a thing I actually remember?

I remember it too so

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

XeeD posted:

Yeah, I think Big Show's thing was that he just wanted to beat the poo poo out of everybody but had to be talked down and realize this was a comedy show and not a wrestling show or something along those lines.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Question for you guys: which Bloodsport card is generally considered the best? My roommate was big into combat sports for a while, and though she doesn't like pro wrestling at all she tries to keep an open mind since she knows how big a fan I am; thus I figured Bloodsport would be right up her alley.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

0konner posted:

I don’t know anything about following wrestling around the time of the Steiner math promo. Did it get a big reaction at the time? Was it a meme instantly? Was it meant to be funny?
I think that if you told Scott Steiner he was funny, it would be like that scene in Goodfellas but he'd actually murder you in public.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Psycho Mantits posted:

Question for you guys: which Bloodsport card is generally considered the best? My roommate was big into combat sports for a while, and though she doesn't like pro wrestling at all she tries to keep an open mind since she knows how big a fan I am; thus I figured Bloodsport would be right up her alley.

Better off just turning on TNT and waiting for Bloodsport to come on.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tough call between matt riddle's, barnett 3, and raw underground

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Woah apparently Moxley is on the Bloodsport card tomorrow? Barnett's about to get my money.

I've only really seen Barnett vs Suzuki, which I thought was rad. Was Bloodsport 4 good?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Decades posted:

Woah apparently Moxley is on the Bloodsport card tomorrow? Barnett's about to get my money.

I've only really seen Barnett vs Suzuki, which I thought was rad. Was Bloodsport 4 good?

It was fun. Very easy watch.

If you are really craving more after 5 you should check it out but it's mostly the same people on the card minus Moxley.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Cool that works - I've loved Cobb since last G1. I haven't seen Tom Lawlor fight for pretend yet but have been meaning to check him out.

The cards could use more Tim Thatcher, I'm into that guy. Also would love to see what Kyle O'Reilly could come up with in this format some day. As mainly a jiu jitsu guy who has only come back to pro wrestling recently, his grappling impresses me most even over guys like ZSJ.

Decades fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

XeeD posted:

Correct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0it_K3Qmcc0