Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rytheric posted:

I mean, you wouldn't want the exhaust below ground. Geothermal doesn't really work that way unless geothermal is nothing but grovertruks buried from the rys of ancient past.

Seriously. I made a rough blueprint of the new design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

mewse posted:

look i can only :five: this thread so many times

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mewse posted:

This could work but the exhaust can't be modified due to the delicate balance of failing factors inside the engine bay. The truck would have to be buried upside-down with the exhaust pipe fully above ground

What if the exhaust was run through the underground bamboo grove for septic? Then the co2 would scrub it and the truck would nourish the ecosystem. A sort of underground terrarium if you will. Possibly incorporating some sort of sun tubes as well as the fire barrel won’t be run 24/7 so the bamboo will need another source of light.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mewse posted:

The sheer elegance of the engineering... I am overwhelmed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
grovertruk but make it minecraft

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mewse posted:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

mewse posted:

I have never seen something so beautiful. The audacity!!!

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Thank god I voted

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mewse posted:

my god

it's beautiful

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
It's actually still functional too if I use it as a cave. I mean the whole cab can be storage since I won't be using it anymore. I could take out the transmission and set up a pulley system to run the lift to the watertower observatory using the engine. Id obviously have to flip the engine right side up of course. Only flaw is that I lose a second means of egress in case the interior fire pit gets out of control. But if I die I already have a tomb to rest in. Multifunctional.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 20, 2021

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Out of curiosity, how many days/night have you spent on your property? I'm assuming you're living at your boss' place full-time. Maybe you're just GroverTrukin' your dates back to the lot? :banjo:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

fennesz posted:

Out of curiosity, how many days/night have you spent on your property? I'm assuming you're living at your boss' place full-time. Maybe you're just GroverTrukin' your dates back to the lot? :banjo:

I'm still in the process of buying the property. Apparently there is like a legal process to buying property and it takes forever. Trying to get the septic permitted which requires me to have it surveyed and to get a excavator certification. It won't be til next month before I'm excavator certified. So another month before I buy it.

I live in the GroverTruk most days unless I'm working on it or sick.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GroverTruk: apparently there is like a legal process to buying property

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Antivehicular posted:

GroverTruk: apparently there is like a legal process to buying property

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Other side of the country, but BART is retiring a bunch of passenger rail cars if anyone wants to build their own Grovertrain. https://www.bart.gov/about/projects/legacy

The best part is, they operate on a non-standard track size so you'd already be off to a great start ignoring building codes and standards! :pseudo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

You're not camping out, you're going to live there, lmao. A bear is not going to break into your house, just because you have a toilet under the same roof with your bed. If anything, it's more likely to sniff you out, because various smells from the toilet and the gazebo kitchen can be easier carried by the wind when they're not behind several doors, walls, and a roof. And then you can't even take a poo poo at night, because there's a bear trying to hump your outhouse.

Poorly aged things

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mewse posted:

Lmao.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Well im going to go buy some doors today hopefully. Anyone have experience staining. I think I have to stain the doors and the siding I have in the GroverTruk.

Edit: does staining make my truk more flamable?

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 20, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All I know is that you should stain and varnish/lacquer separately. Don't use a combination stain. I tried it once and had to sand back the polyurethane because it finished lumpy.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 20, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

um excuse me posted:

All I know is that you should stain and varnish/lacquer separately. Don't use a combination stain. I tried it once and had to sand back the polyurethane because it finished lumpy.

Also it looks like poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It turned out okay. Luckily I had the darkest stain I could find.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

mewse posted:

Groverboatmurdered diagram?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I stain stuff all the time, a nice easy way is to brush on with a chip brush, then gently wipe off the stain with a flat pad of folded rag, like a cotton t shirt- not the paper ones. Be careful not to overlap the joints or you’ll get ugly lines. You can tape off the seams with blue artist tape but do it carefully and don’t leave the tape on long. Lay the doors flat so you don’t drip down onto it. And check the underside when doing the edges so you don’t have dark drips underneath before you flip it.

Satin polyurethane looks best, gloss is too shiny.

E- paint pads are good for the poly, I like to apply it with a fuzzy whizz roller then pad through. It lets you do it fast and even, avoiding drag marks from having it set up too fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I'm still in the process of buying the property. Apparently there is like a legal process to buying property and it takes forever. Trying to get the septic permitted which requires me to have it surveyed and to get a excavator certification. It won't be til next month before I'm excavator certified. So another month before I buy it.

I live in the GroverTruk most days unless I'm working on it or sick.

I've never heard of needing an "excavator certification" to rent an excavator, nor have I ever heard of needing an excavator on site to get a septic permit. Or getting a septic permit on property you don't own for that matter. So I'm having a tough time keeping track of this entire sequence of events and why they need to happen before purchasing the property.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

I've never heard of needing an "excavator certification" to rent an excavator, nor have I ever heard of needing an excavator on site to get a septic permit. Or getting a septic permit on property you don't own for that matter. So I'm having a tough time keeping track of this entire sequence of events and why they need to happen before purchasing the property.

Thats easy. Sunbelt is where I'm renting it and they require you to take their cert before renting any heavy equipment. They're the cheapest people to rent a mini ex from so that's what I'm doing lol.

As for the permitting. I can't build any houses on the property unless it is permitted to have septic on it and the size of the permit determines how many bedrooms a house on the property is allow to have.

As for why I need an excavator. In my state we require that a land perc before one is allowed to build a septic field on it. I went out to the site (I know a bit about soils) and determined there was percable soil there. I had this conclusion backed up by a soil scientist. The county however says that it doesn't because somebody from the coast who had never worked in the mountains became the state manager of septic and felt that saprolite (partially weathered rock to construction folk) didn't drain. This caused a ruckus because that meant that half the state no longer "perced" and became useless for building on. After much fighting an agreement was made that saprolite will be approved as suitable soil if it is dug out by an excavator test pit to make sure that the saprolite is sandy enough to drain. If they don't accept that then the next step is to excavate 5ft deep perc pits with a measuring rod and fill it up with water and measure how much the soil absorbs over the course of 5 hours. (Expensive to pay someone to be out there doing that).

Now none of this is required to buy the property, but everyone and their brother is telling me to wait until it is permitted for septic before buying the property. This is all usually done during the due diligence phase of buying the property.

If It doesn't perc I can just walk away and buy another price of property (I have several other options including a 3 acre one). If I bought it and it doesn't perc then all I can build on it is foundationless cabins smaller than 12ft by 12ft (which would suck if a tornado passes through) that can't be used for permanent living.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 20, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How is renting a miniex and paying to have it moved, use it, then have it moved back cheaper than hiring someone who already owns a miniex to come out and dig the test pit? It literally takes longer to strap the machine back down to the trailer again than to dig what is needed for this. You're looking at a couple hundred bucks for a 3 or 4 hour rental minimum and....how much to move it? How far are you from this rental place? Surely their minimum trip charge is at least $75.
(edit: and the course is another $185 https://sunbeltrentals.csod.com/LMS...age_id%3d-6#t=3)

And doesn't your boss have a miniex or a backhoe or something considering what you say you do for a living?

How are you going to get enough water to fill the test pit when the county inspector comes out? Hand bailing it out of a well? Where will you store the fruit of your hand bailing efforts while you wait for a county inspector to show up?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Snowy posted:

I stain stuff all the time

I don’t too often anymore, except for spaghetti night 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
if anyone was wondering like i was:

quote:

A percolation test (colloquially called a perc test) is a test to determine the water absorption rate of soil (that is, its capacity for percolation) in preparation for the building of a septic drain field (leach field) or infiltration basin. The results of a percolation test are required to properly design a septic system.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

How is renting a miniex and paying to have it moved, use it, then have it moved back cheaper than hiring someone who already owns a miniex to come out and dig the test pit? It literally takes longer to strap the machine back down to the trailer again than to dig what is needed for this. You're looking at a couple hundred bucks for a 3 or 4 hour rental minimum and....how much to move it? How far are you from this rental place? Surely their minimum trip charge is at least $75.
(edit: and the course is another $185 https://sunbeltrentals.csod.com/LMS...age_id%3d-6#t=3)

And doesn't your boss have a miniex or a backhoe or something considering what you say you do for a living?

How are you going to get enough water to fill the test pit when the county inspector comes out? Hand bailing it out of a well? Where will you store the fruit of your hand bailing efforts while you wait for a county inspector to show up?

The hand bailing would have to wait for another day if they can't pass it via a visual which would be another rental. I would probably hand bail it into 5 gallon buckets or a 55 gallon barrel the night before. I bail at about a gallon a minute or so from 35 feet. (My well is 25feet.

I asked around the office, and it seemed like our subcontractors want to charge $1500 minimum while it would only cost me $1000. Or $1500 for the week. Plus getting that cert out the way will help me in the future as I'm going to need to use one when I start putting in my septic and i've always wanted to play with one, so there is my chance lol.

My company doesn't own excavators we are testers and consultants we only rent them or subcontract someone as needed.

Edit: "I know what I'm about son."

Edit edit: also another consideration. Sure it may cost more to chain the equipment up, but how this usually goes is that everyone agrees to meet at 8 am. I show up on time. The equipment shows up at 930 am then the inspector gets there at 2pm. Then I get a huge bill for standby time.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 20, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mewse posted:

Love the design, but it makes me wonder if the engine would work upside down?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zil posted:

Oil sump would go dry.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

mewse posted:

GroverTömb

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Just replace the front tire with a gravity reversal orb.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zil posted:

Just flip it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fennesz posted:

Just flip it.

just duck under the spinning driveshaft as you enter the bedroom lol

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

you don't need a driveshaft to keep a truck in a pit

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

taqueso posted:

sure you don't need one, but

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

taqueso posted:

Need it for the rotisserie over the fire pit.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

taqueso posted:

How do you think we rotate the back of the truck to the sleeping position if we're not using the motor?

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMT9Ykmneiw&t=310s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Anias posted:

How do you think we rotate the back of the truck to the sleeping position if we're not using the motor?

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMT9Ykmneiw&t=310s)

This reminds me I need to put the sway bar back on soon(tm)