Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

hbag posted:

getting the vaccine on tuesday
dont have any say in which vaccine, apparently its just whatever the NHS has on hand
obviously gonna stay home afterwards anyway

Here's hoping you get Pfizer but anything helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SchnorkIes posted:

Here's hoping you get Pfizer but anything helps

so whats up with your weird gimmick account

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

so whats up with your weird gimmick account

schnorkles has entered mass production

no idk i was really drunk

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SchnorkIes posted:

schnorkles has entered mass production

no idk i was really drunk

lol its cool ive just been curious

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If the vent is aimed downwards it'll also push droplets/aerosols away from other people's faces:

Yeah, no, the envomask vent is just straight out frontward.

Of course a non-vented N95/KN95/surgical mask is always going to be better in terms of outward emissions. If you care about other people/want to avoid fistfights then cover that vent.

Like I said, all envomasks now come with a plastic plug you can jam inside the vent to block it, it just doesn't LOOK blocked from the outside.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This guy has the whole mask situation figured out. :v:

quote:

I'm a Pediatric Dentist, I wear this 8 hours a day to protect my patients and myself

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Yeah, no, the envomask vent is just straight out frontward.

Like I said, all envomasks now come with a plastic plug you can jam inside the vent to block it, it just doesn't LOOK blocked from the outside.

This doctor recommends the covers they sell for them, but also wearing another mask over the top
https://twitter.com/AuforGA/status/1321583474319466503
https://twitter.com/AuforGA/status/1321585220777365505

Here's another doctor who wears a mask over the top of his:
https://twitter.com/YoDoctorYo/status/1329236232606453762

..... but just from googling I'm seeing lots and lots of medical professionals who are wearing it without anything on top. I think you'll be fine if you wear it with just the plug inside in pretty much all most cases, if anyone complains just explain it to them.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 20, 2021

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Joe camel looking rear end doctor

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Iowa is renowned for having lovely case reporting which can have lag times of up to a month or more, I guess that caught up with them all of a sudden

https://twitter.com/madelyndlewis/status/1363204710371528706

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Sam Sanders did a great show this week on the vaccine and a few other Covid related things (efficacy of double mask wearing, etc) Worth a listen, though doesn’t get too in the weeds scientifically/medically. Just useful knowledge for a well informed person to have.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/18/969085587/your-vaccine-questions-answered

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there anything I can read about taking OTC medicine to counteract any 2nd dose side effects I might get next week? I know you're not supposed to take anything preemptively, but should I take a couple Tylenol if I come down with a headache or fever after the shot or tough it out?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...OVID-19-vaccine

I probably wouldn't if I could avoid it, but it's not the end of the world if you do

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Iowa is renowned for having lovely case reporting which can have lag times of up to a month or more, I guess that caught up with them all of a sudden

It's okay, our vaccine rollout is *checks notes* also one of the worst in the country. :shepicide:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lester Shy posted:

Is there anything I can read about taking OTC medicine to counteract any 2nd dose side effects I might get next week? I know you're not supposed to take anything preemptively, but should I take a couple Tylenol if I come down with a headache or fever after the shot or tough it out?

Platystemon posted:

I looked at this paper and based on that made the decision not to take NSAID around the time of vaccination if I could help it.

The suppressive effects of those drugs are rather strong in vitro, and while that doesn’t mean it’s going to break the vaccine, especially because the mRNA vaccines elicit such a strong response to start with, I figure I want all the help I can get against any variants of the virus that the antibodies are less finely attuned to, and it’s worth a little temporary suffering to have that protection for good.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

xcheopis posted:

I'm on xeljanz and methotrexate and the only issues I had with the second shot were deep arm pain and a day of "malaise" so bad that it took a powerful act of will to get out of bed and walk across the room to get my morning coffee.
Then I slept heavily that night and woke up with just arm pain.

Heya xeljanz comrade! Glad to hear you got your shots!

I had to call out of work the day after my second shot because I had terrible stomach cramps. I am having chills/bad stomach cramps intermittently still. Seem to be over the worst of it.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
If I had the choice between sleep and NSAIDs for flu-like symptoms, I'd take sleep 100% of the time. If I have to be functional, I'm a big fan of naproxen (Aleve).

Follow up: My mother in law who had the crazy legs after her second dose a few weeks ago seems to be fine now. Not much detail, my wife is barely on speaking terms with her.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Riptor posted:

Ponda Baba looking rear end doctor

naem
May 29, 2011

anyone else remember thinking this was going to be a three to six month long thing and life would be normal again

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was in denial that the Wuhan coronavirus would be a global pandemic, but once victims started showing up in hospitals on every continent, I was pretty sure it was going to be with us for a good long while. It wasn’t just going to go away.

It did come as a surprise that China, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand were able to suppress it with basic public health measures, but also, having seen that, that most nations would be unwilling to do the same.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Platystemon posted:

I was in denial that the Wuhan coronavirus would be a global pandemic, but once victims started showing up in hospitals on every continent, I was pretty sure it was going to be with us for a good long while. It wasn’t just going to go away.

It did come as a surprise that China, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand were able to suppress it with basic public health measures, but also, having seen that, that most nations would be unwilling to do the same.

Don't think China's measures were basic there bub

Vietnam? Sure.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

naem posted:

anyone else remember thinking this was going to be a three to six month long thing and life would be normal again

I made a joke about taking the dog vaccine and then all my posts go into yelling at the government for being stupid and not jumping all over it

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I get my vaccine Thursday. Wonder which I’ll get. Looking forward to it.
Really hoping that every country will have a good roll out so I can begin to travel again.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

naem posted:

I remember looking at some lovely data-aggegation website in March 2020 that predicted the virus would peak in the US sometime around May and feeling completely despondent. "I can't do two more months of this!"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

naem posted:

Yeah, I remember in April reading an article about how a Covid economy could safely operate. It talked about universal free rapid testing, a contact tracing program with 300,000 federal workers, funding for protective barriers everywhere. I remember thinking it was fascinating and well thought out.

Of course there was no plan, and none of that happened, and half a million people died.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

smoobles posted:

Yeah, I remember in April reading an article about how a Covid economy could safely operate. It talked about universal free rapid testing, a contact tracing program with 300,000 federal workers, funding for protective barriers everywhere. I remember thinking it was fascinating and well thought out.

Of course there was no plan, and none of that happened, and half a million people died.

Trump's non plan was still better than "force everything open"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i basically guessed, "the spanish flu was 18 months, all the peeps who learned anything from that are dead, 18 months it is"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SchnorkIes posted:

Trump's non plan was still better than "force everything open"

Trump’s non-plan was to force everything open, and also say masks are dumb and “what coronavirus”?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So could you just use acetaminophen for relief of any soreness instead of an nsaid?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Update on this: it turns out that Iowa decided to switch from reporting the number of positive individuals to the number of positive tests. Since most people who test positive are tested several times that number will necessarily be MUCh higher than the number of positive individuals
https://kwwl.com/2021/02/19/state-covid-19-dashboard-changing-to-reflect-total-and-positive-tests-kwwl-reporting-will-remain-the-same/

It's a sneaky way of gaming the positivity rates:

quote:

According to Garcia, the shift from individual tests to total tests means that their positivity rate will align with total test results.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 21, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So could you just use acetaminophen for relief of any soreness instead of an nsaid?

Tylenol is in that study and has similar effects to the other drugs.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

jokes posted:

Trump’s non-plan was to force everything open, and also say masks are dumb and “what coronavirus”?

Biden's plan is to force open the schools and say "Science says the schools are safe!" when what science really says is that if every school follows the most stringent safety procedures, which they cannot and will not, they are hypothetically safe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Animal-Mother posted:

Biden's plan is to force open the schools and say "Science says the schools are safe!" when what science really says is that if every school follows the most stringent safety procedures, which they cannot and will not, they are hypothetically safe.

Yeah if they're going by the CDC's safety protocols they should be shutting the gently caress down pretty much everywhere. Only about 10% of counties met the criteria for full in-person classes as of last Friday

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-which-counties-are-ready-schools-fully-open-n1258397

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

I remember looking at some lovely data-aggegation website in March 2020 that predicted the virus would peak in the US sometime around May and feeling completely despondent. "I can't do two more months of this!"
There were going to be zero new cases by end of April, remember.

You know, I thought I'd be ok as a typical shut in goon but I'm getting kind of sick of it. Just seems like they're doing the worst possible approach with a bunch of half assed measures. Like there are a ton of restrictions, there's a curfew after nine pm, no large meetings, retail is still mostly closed, etc. But it's still barely flattening the curve, and ECUs are approaching capacity, and people are still pissed off about not having their pubs and circuses. Majority are favoring to open er up already.

Now check this out:

The guy in the bottom row, closest to the camera, was the covid advisor to the PM. At a football game a few days ago. After advocating for stricter lockdowns.

After the previous advisor resigned after being caught in a pub when that was banned.

Why is there even a football game taking place you can go to, while some regions of the country are sealed off? And why is that guy, and another health minister, at that game? At least they're wearing masks and he resigned, but how difficult is it to... just not go while you're in charge of this poo poo?

There are also a few dozen thousands AZ vaccines just sitting in storage because none of these brain geniuses thought about who's going to distribute them.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It wasn't basic. "Basic" is what the US and Europe tried to do, pretending they could get a grip on it just by washing hands more and asking people to wear masks.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Animal-Mother posted:

It's quite confusing, to be honest. Our schools were open for the second half of last year and it didn't cause any real problems but we were on top of contact tracing and we implemented varying degrees of lockdown when there were community outbreaks.

The extent to which you can have various things open seems to depend a lot on what public health orders you have available and how quickly they can be activated. We've pretty much perfected near instant lockdown here.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Lolie posted:

It's quite confusing, to be honest. Our schools were open for the second half of last year and it didn't cause any real problems but we were on top of contact tracing and we implemented varying degrees of lockdown when there were community outbreaks.

The extent to which you can have various things open seems to depend a lot on what public health orders you have available and how quickly they can be activated. We've pretty much perfected near instant lockdown here.

It also depends on how compliant the public is, and how cooperative the local authorities are in enforcement. In some counties the sheriffs outright say they will not enforce curfew violations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stab posted:

Don't think China's measures were basic there bub

Vietnam? Sure.

freebooter posted:

It wasn't basic. "Basic" is what the US and Europe tried to do, pretending they could get a grip on it just by washing hands more and asking people to wear masks.

You’re missing the point.

The techniques used were already in the playbook.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Platystemon posted:

Australia used its biosecurity and public health laws, but we also passed additional legislation because some of our existing legislation was ancient and not really adequate.

Mandatory public health detention really wasn't something we were set up for enforcing because it's been so long since it was necessary. Some of our early, tragic, mistakes happened because of that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You’re missing the point.

"Legally confine people to their homes unless they are exercising, buying food or can't work from home" was not in anybody's playbook before 2020.

quote:

This pandemic was the first time governments ordered their citizens to stay at home en masse to stop the spread of an infectious disease. We may never know for certain what the decisive measures were. ‘‘There isn’t a lot of science around lockdown measures,’’ she says. ‘‘No one had done lockdown before coronavirus. Maybe we wouldn’t have even thought of it had Wuhan not done it.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/how-we-beat-covid-part-one-the-way-in-20201210-p56mdr.html

Border closures, in Australia at least, were also not part of the playbook:

quote:

It is interesting to read what the “Australian Health Management Plan for Pandemic Influenza”, updated in 2019, has to say on major, contentious policies that have since defined Victoria’s – and Australia’s – experience. On quarantine? “Not recommended,” and “use of hotels is problematic”. On domestic travel restrictions and border closures? “Not recommended.”

Mandatory quarantine and border closures – in the context of an influenza outbreak – were considered overly complex, costly and disruptive. While there is a separate, national communicable disease plan, released in 2016, by its own description it merely “provides a generic national framework for a primary response to outbreaks for which there is no pre-existing disease-specific plan”.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/october/1601474400/martin-mckenzie-murray/second-wave#mtr

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Heya xeljanz comrade! Glad to hear you got your shots!

I had to call out of work the day after my second shot because I had terrible stomach cramps. I am having chills/bad stomach cramps intermittently still. Seem to be over the worst of it.

Heck, yes! :buddy: I don't like taking the stuff but holy cow did it make a difference!

My colleagues all had stronger reactions than I did, too. I really thought I'd be hard hit, too. Glad you're feeling better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

"Legally confine people to their homes unless they are exercising, buying food or can't work from home" was not in anybody's playbook before 2020.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/how-we-beat-covid-part-one-the-way-in-20201210-p56mdr.html

Border closures, in Australia at least, were also not part of the playbook:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/october/1601474400/martin-mckenzie-murray/second-wave#mtr

I think it's difficult for people to imagine the scale of the response here and how extreme it was at times.

We did a lot wrong, especially in the early stages, but we got a lot of things right, too.

Some other countries never really tried, and it baffles me.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 22, 2021