Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Everything I've ever seen of Clone Wars and Rebels always has been deeply underwhelming. Filoni building up all of his OCs to be the most important and coolest characters is also kind of embarrassing. Everything just feels primed for him to have some unpleasant skeletons to come out of his closet.

Mandalorian's strength seems to be built on being breezy and superficial, with nice little callbacks to other things. Basically exactly what you'd want Favreau for. Nothing about it has been a fraction as interesting as Lucas Star Wars or even speculating on what the hell the sequels were supposed to be about. Everything is just "it was cool when X character from the other thing showed up" and "what will next week's plot points be?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
mandalorian's in this weird place where the hype for it exists only because the sequel trilogy was so disappointing. people are already souring on it as of season 2, and the big cameo in the last episode was a bad idea for a whole host of reasons. disney doesn't know what to do with star wars. they're making half a dozen tv series because Mandalorian has been the only thing that people didn't hate, but it's just another sign of the damage control disney's trying to run. they've gone from 'star wars isn't marvel, there's no other media we can draw upon' to doing a drat rogue squadron tv series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

sponges posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot about the baby Yoda show.

I’ve never seen it and never will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEKCaWkwXb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NnldclsF4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjSJsBN0-A

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 21, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0h6Pu6t5s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Horizon Burning posted:

mandalorian's in this weird place where the hype for it exists only because the sequel trilogy was so disappointing. people are already souring on it as of season 2, and the big cameo in the last episode was a bad idea for a whole host of reasons. disney doesn't know what to do with star wars. they're making half a dozen tv series because Mandalorian has been the only thing that people didn't hate, but it's just another sign of the damage control disney's trying to run. they've gone from 'star wars isn't marvel, there's no other media we can draw upon' to doing a drat rogue squadron tv series.

Yeah I'm not sure where the optimism re: announced projects comes from, it's the exact same kneejerk reaction as Disney announcing one thousand movies after TFA.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Everything I've ever seen of Clone Wars and Rebels always has been deeply underwhelming. Filoni building up all of his OCs to be the most important and coolest characters is also kind of embarrassing. Everything just feels primed for him to have some unpleasant skeletons to come out of his closet.

Mandalorian's strength seems to be built on being breezy and superficial, with nice little callbacks to other things. Basically exactly what you'd want Favreau for. Nothing about it has been a fraction as interesting as Lucas Star Wars or even speculating on what the hell the sequels were supposed to be about. Everything is just "it was cool when X character from the other thing showed up" and "what will next week's plot points be?"

Ahsoka and Ezra and Rex and the Rebels crew aren't the most important/coolest. The original characters are the coolest and most important, still, those characters just give a perspective to show us things that we missed otherwise. For instance, creating an OC that is Anakin's apprentice gives us the Vader perspective on running into someone he truly saw as a friend after becoming Vader and vice versa that didn't let him burn alive in lava. Or, say, use Rex, etc. to give us a Clone perspective of all the terrible stuff that they had to go through (and Order 66). That's why the general best Clone Wars and Rebels episodes that are often agreed upon are those that give character moments we missed from the movies that we finally got to see. Or have Sheev cackling and being total evil in general.

That said, Mandalorian is extremely overrated, and Season 2 started making Star Wars feel like the old EU, which is sad.

I'm also one of those people that didn't like Force Awakens (I did like Hux and Kylo, though), but hope it led to interesting movies. I just ended up defending it half the time because people were calling Rey a Mary Sue, and it didn't apply...to that movie because there could still be a reason she was so good at everything and she didn't go through her character arc where she failed at things yet. After all 3, though, ehhh....

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked Mandalorian's very cowboy/samurai film inspired storylines and its focus on action. Kindof a return to Star War's roots in a way. The wider lore stuff in season 2 wasn't great though and I really hated the ending, I doubt they'll do anything like Mandalorian s1 again.

e: thinking about it I basically just wanted it to continue being Samurai Jack

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 21, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ultra Carp

Horizon Burning posted:

the hype for mandalorian is extremely overblown

Yeah, really. It's enjoyable enough, with decent effects and underwhelming choreography, but the way some people talk about it you'd think it's one of the best shows on television. It's still one of the best things Disney's done with Star Wars thus far, but that is a hell of a low bar to clear.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I personally liked Clone Wars and Rebels overall honestly (Resistance kind of sucked though).

Speaking of which, when was the latter supposed to take place anyway? Sometime before TFA?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

I personally liked Clone Wars and Rebels overall honestly (Resistance kind of sucked though).

Speaking of which, when was the latter supposed to take place anyway? Sometime before TFA?

Six-ish months before it or so - the end of season one literally takes place during TFA and we get to see Hux's speech in Resistance's artstyle, although he's far less animated, which is a shame

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I liked Mandalorian's very cowboy/samurai film inspired storylines and its focus on action. Kindof a return to Star War's roots in a way. The wider lore stuff in season 2 wasn't great though and I really hated the ending, I doubt they'll do anything like Mandalorian s1 again.

e: thinking about it I basically just wanted it to continue being Samurai Jack

Star Wars works best when it leans hard into a grab bag of western and/or samurai tropes, and the appeal of Mandalorian S1 was that it was an extremely simple story that hit those notes without all the overwrought lore stuff that bogs down most Star Wars media but with just enough wink wink nudge nudge stuff (Baby Yoda! Tatooine! not-Boba Fett!) to capitalize on the stuff that people remember from the various trilogies. It was also appealing to the suits at Disney because it was cheap, Favreau delivers a competently made product, and most of the cast is nobodies or stuntpeople.

They of course did not learn the correct lessons from S1, which is why they have shoved ungodly amounts of seeding for spinoffs into S2 and immediately hosed up the story beats of what should be fairly simple "Lone Wolf & Cub" story. Plus still trying to appeal to people who hated TLJ (see, Luke IS a hero!) and backfill some significance into the ST. And any series where Bill Burr is giving one of the most authentic performances is probably not one that will endure over the ages.

I didn't watch any of the Filoni stuff, so I don't have strong feelings about it but the Ahsoka Tano inclusion in S2 was just bad. Maybe the more overt Mandalorian war stuff in S3 will be better, but who knows.

Jimbot posted:

If you could, please. That sort of stuff is interesting to me mainly because of how blatant it is. It really doesn't leave room for interpretation, at least in my eyes.

So there's this, that's more focused on the PT (https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/19/18629867/star-wars-prequels-episode-1-phantom-menace-anniversary-good) but I remember reading something explicitly about The Last Jedi around the time it came out that I'm still trying to track down. It might've been on a friend's blog, I'll keep looking.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Six-ish months before it or so - the end of season one literally takes place during TFA and we get to see Hux's speech in Resistance's artstyle, although he's far less animated, which is a shame

I forget, did Resistance actually get a proper ending or was it canceled prematurely?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see a US political reading in TLJ but I definitely don't read it as pro-Hillary. We see that the New Republic had failed to improve people's lives during their time in power and that's why nobody answers the call to come help them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Resistance actually get a proper ending or was it canceled prematurely?

Rushed ending due to it basically being canceled in S2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darko posted:

Rushed ending due to it basically being canceled in S2.

Out of curiosity, why was the show cancelled so quickly? Poor ratings or something?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why was the show cancelled so quickly? Poor ratings or something?

It was utter garbage. Main hero never really went away from wacky hijinx all the time. I dropped it quick in S2 as it was doing nothing interesting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

It was utter garbage. Main hero never really went away from wacky hijinx all the time. I dropped it quick in S2 as it was doing nothing interesting.

Oh I know that, I was just curious what the official reason for its cancellation was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I can see a US political reading in TLJ but I definitely don't read it as pro-Hillary. We see that the New Republic had failed to improve people's lives during their time in power and that's why nobody answers the call to come help them.

The thing is, it's hard to tell if that's actually on purpose, especially since pro-Hillary types tend to not at all understand that concept either.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

You have to understand that the New Republic wanted to improve people's lives but were cynically prevented from doing so by the obstructionist First Order

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Horizon Burning posted:

I think it's easy to read these statements as related. The Mandalorian was better in S1 because it was allowed to be its own thing unrelated to the Star War. Then everyone hated RoS, which was so bad it poisoned the entire sequel trilogy, so they had to cram all their Star War into The Mandalorian, which diluted the things that made it liked in the first place.

The S2 finale left the show in an awkward place. Baby Yoda probably isn't gone, because he's too popular for that, but it feels like any attempt to write him back as a main character is going to be real kludgy. But if they abandon Lone Wolf & Cub in Space in favor of Mandalorian Internal Politics, featuring your favorite characters from Star Wars Rebels also streaming on Disney+, they'll burn away whatever goodwill the show has left.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All these people saying Mando season 2 sucks would’ve been screaming it’s praises had Kyle Katarn showed up instead. So much hate for deepfake Luke. I for one can’t wait to see where S3 goes now that he’s no longer playing dad, hopefully it can get a little more dark.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like leaning into the failure of the New Republic could have been a really solid direction for the sequels. For all the talk of how Luke gave up and ran away from the problem, the Republic did an even worse job of it than he did and they never get nearly as close of an examination. They treat the death of Palpatine as the end of the Empire's reign despite him being a single person, and let its brand of fascism continue consolidating power in the reaches of space. It's no wonder the First Order is basically The Empire Again. The Empire never went away in the first place! And the one person who actually cares enough to acknowledge this gets a pat on the head and a "that's nice dear," despite having literally lived through this before. Just because there isn't a gross space wizard with a death laser in charge, everyone's perfectly fine acting like nothing changed.

As much as I hate how the twist was handled, I think this read actually works perfectly for Palpatine's return, too. He could boast about how, for all the celebration about his death, the galaxy welcomed him and his reign back with open arms. You could even lean a little into the both sides direction presented by TLJ, too. Have one of the New Republic's senators subtly wearing a necklace with First Order iconography, for example. Or have a part where Leia's band of rebels needs to not only fight Palpatine but also the New Republic, who has her marked as a fugitive and a maverick for her "out of line" actions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cartoon Man posted:

All these people saying Mando season 2 sucks would’ve been screaming it’s praises had Kyle Katarn showed up instead. So much hate for deepfake Luke. I for one can’t wait to see where S3 goes now that he’s no longer playing dad, hopefully it can get a little more dark.

I like Season 2 and would have liked it even more had it re-canonized Kyle Katarn. I'm weird though.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You have to understand that the New Republic wanted to improve people's lives but were cynically prevented from doing so by the obstructionist First Order

This is literally part of the Disney canon now.

Leia's main political rivals in the New Republic senate are the "Centrists" who are secretly all working with the First Order and they successfully prevent Leia from being elected "First Senator" by revealing her [s]e-mails[/s ] father is Darth Vader to the public.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Cartoon Man posted:

I have no idea who Kyle Katarn is but yeah it probably would've landed better if the Force user who shows up at the end wasn't deepfake Luke. Having it be Ahsoka was probably the best option (and then S3 opens with the whole testing thing, etc etc) but they couldn't resist that sweet sweet mid-season fanservice.

They did have an Imperial officer pull a double murder suicide so maybe more stuff like that will show up but given that this is the flagship series now I wouldn't hope for much.

IDK for all my criticisms I do enjoy the show, even if it never rises above the level of "something to watch after a long day while you catch up on emails or make your grocery list or whatever".

Boxman posted:

I think it's easy to read these statements as related. The Mandalorian was better in S1 because it was allowed to be its own thing unrelated to the Star War. Then everyone hated RoS, which was so bad it poisoned the entire sequel trilogy, so they had to cram all their Star War into The Mandalorian, which diluted the things that made it liked in the first place.

The S2 finale left the show in an awkward place. Baby Yoda probably isn't gone, because he's too popular for that, but it feels like any attempt to write him back as a main character is going to be real kludgy. But if they abandon Lone Wolf & Cub in Space in favor of Mandalorian Internal Politics, featuring your favorite characters from Star Wars Rebels also streaming on Disney+, they'll burn away whatever goodwill the show has left.

Pretty much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

I have no idea who Kyle Katarn is but yeah it probably would've landed better if the Force user who shows up at the end wasn't deepfake Luke. Having it be Ahsoka was probably the best option (and then S3 opens with the whole testing thing, etc etc) but they couldn't resist that sweet sweet mid-season fanservice.

Ahsoka no longer identifies herself as a Jedi, so she wouldn't have a solid reason for purposefully seeking out that force tremor from Grogu. She's more of like a spirit guide now, following her arc through the end of Clone Wars into Rebels. It either had to be Jedi Paragon Luke, or a trainee/apprentice sent on behalf of Luke's new Jedi Academy in the S2 finale imo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was Mandalorian Ahsoka played by the same actress who voiced her in Clone Wars/Rebels?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I wouldn’t have minded another season of Wolf and Cub before Grogu gets shipped off to Jedi camp, but there’s some really good story opportunities for Din now that Grogu’s gone. With his quest completed, Din clearly has some unfinished business with The Armorer and their old school interpretation of The Way. He took his helmet off, will he fess up to that when they meet? Will his former home now abandon him? Will they care that he now has the freaking Dark Saber? Is Bo Katan gonna fight him for it?

Can’t wait.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 21, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was Mandalorian Ahsoka played by the same actress who voiced her in Clone Wars/Rebels?

No, it’s Rosario Dawson.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0206257/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The voice actress may or may not have been able to handle the role, we’ll likely never know. Disney may have wanted some star power for it that doesn’t break the bank.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 21, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And they happened to choose an actress who assaulted a trans man. Disney really knows how to pick them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I would have been fine with Ezra or even Kyle Katarn - I got bucked off the ride so hard once I saw that X-Wing show up and then the green saber lit up I was shell shocked. I was generally fine with most things this season - even loving them really bringing the CW/Rebels stuff in but the Luke thing didn't work for me.

I want to move on with these new characters not be dragged down by worshipping the OT.

Jimbot posted:

And they happened to choose an actress who assaulted a trans man. Disney really knows how to pick them.

The case was thrown out for the most part minus the transman assaulting them. Rosario Dawson is a big LGBT supporter. Someone got into it in the SW thread in TVIV.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Wrong in so many ways.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ahsoka is junk character now because her whole deal is that she's so cool and wise that she understood the failures of the Jedi, escaped Order 66, firsthand knowledge of everything including weird mystical things, can stand toe to toe with Darth Vader, already known to the highest levels of the Rebels and exists as this now untouched paragon of the true spirit of the Force.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bust Rodd posted:

The story is also way, way more confusing and weird than people ever let on. Dawson's family hired this man from NYC after knowing them as a lesbian for 20 years, and then he lived and worked with them for a period of time, and then they asked him to move out so they could rent to house to someone else as a source of income and he flatly refused. It's only here, at the point of being asked to leave, essentially getting evicted and fired at the same time, that the accusations start coming out, with honestly the most ridiculous part being when the man in question gets into a fistfight with Dawson's 70 year old mother who is trying to physically drag this person out of the house.

It's honestly quite easy for me to envision a scenario in which Dawson is attempting stop a grown man in his 40's from assaulting her 70 year old mother, and again, every claim against Rosario is dropped, and the only claims left are the assault charges against Dawson's mom.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If there is one thing I'll absolutely believe in, its that the legal system works fairly for anonymous trans people against rich famous people who were also acting as landlords.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Larryb posted:

No, but the actress who played Ahsoka (Rosario Dawson) managed to train her inflection/enunciation for the character in The Mandalorian to sound very much like the character's VA (Ashley Eckstein) from Clone Wars/Rebels. Dawson did a really great job making Ahsoka's live-action appearance feel/sound/look very true and authentic to the character from the animated shows imo.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's really funny that ashley eckstein put in all the work for years making a character into a fan favorite, and then disney casts the girlfriend of a painfully lame senator because the internet pressured them in some sort of weird "crispin glove should be the joker" nerd-herd casting idea

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Luke showing up was particularly bad but I think having a force user show up and just effortlessly slaughter the series' biggest enemy made the entire thing feel very pointless. Like what have the heroes been fighting for? Just buying time until Luke felt like showing up?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Like what have the heroes been fighting for? Just buying time until Luke felt like showing up?

This is the plot of 2/3 of the sequel trilogy as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

It's really funny that ashley eckstein put in all the work for years making a character into a fan favorite, and then disney casts the girlfriend of a painfully lame senator because the internet pressured them in some sort of weird "crispin glove should be the joker" nerd-herd casting idea

Cinema executives don't need any excuses to put stars into roles, they'll do it anyway