Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If Rosario’s past had any other examples of Chud like behavior, I might believe the allegations. But by all accounts she’s been supportive of the LGBTQ community multiple times. There’s plenty of examples of Hollywood royalty using their fame to buy their way out of bad behavior, I get it. But not everyone in Hollywood is awful, and she deserves the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise by her actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Boxman posted:

so they had to cram all their Star War into The Mandalorian, which diluted the things that made it liked in the first place.

Reminder that vast swaths of season 2 were already written when RoS came out, and it started filming before RoS came out. The Mandalorian is, and always has been, exactly the show it wanted to be.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's too bad eric andre couldnt hold it down with rosario because I'd love to see him be a star war guy

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cartoon Man posted:

If Rosario’s past had any other examples of Chud like behavior, I might believe the allegations. But by all accounts she’s been supportive of the LGBTQ community multiple times. There’s plenty of examples of Hollywood royalty using their fame to buy their way out of bad behavior, I get it. But not everyone in Hollywood is awful, and she deserves the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise by her actions.

It doesn't have to be chud like behavior. They were acting as landlords. They could have hosed over this person and wielded the tremendous power differential to crush them. Every queer person will tell you how quickly 'support for LGBTQ community' disappears if you get in the way of what a cishet wants. Every trans person can tell you how 'support for LGBTQ community' often doesn't really include trans people.

We don't really know what happened but dividing it instead "chud or not" is oversimplifying and misunderstanding the actual world in which we live, which is how you end up with the Star Wars sequels.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can see a US political reading in TLJ but I definitely don't read it as pro-Hillary. We see that the New Republic had failed to improve people's lives during their time in power and that's why nobody answers the call to come help them.

Trying to read it in terms of a single person needlessly complicates things.

Focussing on just the ideologies at play, it always bears repeating that the Resistance are Contras. They’re an anti-communist militia, at the rightist fringes of the New Republican mainstream. It’s the basic, fundamental reason why they exist as an organization outside the New Republic military: Nobody in the New Republic openly supports Leia and, for her part, Leia doesn’t really care much that the New Republic great blown up. She actually seems pretty psyched that the attack on Coruscant will rally everyone to her cause and spark that war she always wanted. In this way, Leia is closer to some kind of Boebert figure.

These right-wing leanings are why Holdo is introduced as a distinct character: she stands for the more default liberal centrism of the New Republic - its last remnants after the fully successful First Order coup. When Leia and Holdo stand together in praise of Poe, that’s what they call “bipartisan unity”.

That’s where you could draw the Hillary comparisons, I suppose - but it’s important that Holdo’s role in the film is to vanish (in her only act of deadly violence!) and clear a path Luke and Leia’s antidemocratic, pro-war leanings. The message is somewhat plainly that “freedom isn’t free”: if you want to have that hippie stuff, you must first kneel for the queen. So the film is actually more reactionary than just saying “vote Blue no matter who”, or whatever. It’s actually proposing that all of America unite as one against, it appears, the dang Chinese.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 21, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why was the show cancelled so quickly? Poor ratings or something?

They were shifting focus towards Disney+ and The Mandalorian, which, coupled with the general lack of interest in the Sequel Era, probably led to them unofficially canceling it

So many interesting characters unceremoniously dropped, which is a shame

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

They were shifting focus towards Disney+ and The Mandalorian, which, coupled with the general lack of interest in the Sequel Era, probably led to them unofficially canceling it

So many interesting characters unceremoniously dropped, which is a shame

The Mandalorian didn’t have any Resistance references did it? I heard there was some Clone Wars/Rebels stuff in there at least.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Ahsoka is junk character now because her whole deal is that she's so cool and wise that she understood the failures of the Jedi, escaped Order 66, firsthand knowledge of everything including weird mystical things, can stand toe to toe with Darth Vader, already known to the highest levels of the Rebels and exists as this now untouched paragon of the true spirit of the Force.

Ahsoka cannot stand toe to toe with Vader. She could hold him off for a bit due to being a prodigy and almost at the Obi-Wan/whatever skill level, but would die once he cared to try. She can't even beat Maul without him going easy on her/being stupid.

She's just the only person that "gets" the Force (given the sequel trilogy makes sure you know Luke doesn't) which is why she quit being a Jedi.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

And yet she appears in that twinkling star audio only jedi ghost call at the end of ROS

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There does seem to basically be two different Disney Canons. A Filoni/Favreau one and an ST based one. Sure they're officially the same but they never reference each other and pay no heed to how their stories might affect the others. Heck the Clone Wars CG is even in this weird spot where it had this exact same relation with Legends. It was officially part of the Old EU but couldn't care less about it. There does seem to be like they might be attempting to link the two up in Mandalorian S2, but we'll have to see if that actually goes anywhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ingmar terdman posted:

And yet she appears in that twinkling star audio only jedi ghost call at the end of ROS

The force doesn't belong to the Jedi.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darko tell us how you really feel about Ahsoka.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

teagone posted:

The force doesn't belong to the Jedi.

Agreed but all of those bygone space wizard spirits seem to be there to underscore the "im every jedi it's all in me" thing

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That scene sucked rear end

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Ultra Carp

AdmiralViscen posted:

That movie sucked rear end

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Somehow after two hours of being pummeled by the kaleidoscopic nightmare of ROS I remember that scene being bizarre. And the sub-fanfic writing of "im all the jedi/im all the sith" is still dumbfounding

And then as it's happening nien nunb nosedives the literal tantive iv. Just amazing poo poo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Ahsoka is junk character now because her whole deal is that she's so cool and wise that she understood the failures of the Jedi, escaped Order 66, firsthand knowledge of everything including weird mystical things, can stand toe to toe with Darth Vader, already known to the highest levels of the Rebels and exists as this now untouched paragon of the true spirit of the Force.

That's just the way of pulp genre fiction characters. As they keep having adventures, at some point you look back and realise how insanely hyper competent and accomplished they've ended up. To use an example no one has heard of, Michael DiMercurio's protagonist started out as a better than average submarine captain, by the end of the fifth book, he's literally head of the navy (and also goes out on submarines)

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I'm not sure where the optimism re: announced projects comes from, it's the exact same kneejerk reaction as Disney announcing one thousand movies after TFA.

Or Sony announcing a Spiderman cinematic universe.

Horizon Burning posted:

the hype for mandalorian is extremely overblown

Very much so. It's a solid riff on the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' formula but also contains way too many very clunky inserts from other star wars things.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

galagazombie posted:

Heck the Clone Wars CG is even in this weird spot where it had this exact same relation with Legends. It was officially part of the Old EU but couldn't care less about it.

Rebels also has a weird relation with Legends due to it bringing in Thrawn and some simultaneously keeping and changing his origins at the same time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Now I understand how TLJ fans felt when people shat on their movie.

IMO CW/Rebels and most of Mando is peak Star Wars and how it should be done. It's why I have complete faith in Filoni and crew. They get it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Darko tell us how you really feel about Ahsoka.

Ambivalent. Looking at it from the perspective of a writer, she's a vector to explore other things at first that you develop on their own as a character over time when they gain in popularity? Why do you ask?

Confusing question. Filoni has been 60 percent good, but he's gotten some stuff that the old EU writers didn't get to around ten percent so whatever? Ahsoka started terrible but grew as he got the freedom to work around her to develop Anakin.

Darko fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 22, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Disney seems to be handling the Legends canon in the same way DC handles it's old canon whenever they go through a reboot. Nothing is ever permanently thrown out. Why make new characters when they can reuse the old ones and get fan credit for deep cuts?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

And then as it's happening nien nunb nosedives the literal tantive iv. Just amazing poo poo

...oh yeah, they killed Nien Numb in roughly the same way they off Ackbar, didn't they

Almost offscreen and nobody seems too upset about it and the plot oozes on without a care in the world

The ST really was just going down a checklist rather than trying to tell a story, wasn't it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Those movies sucked rear end

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I don't know if this take is controversial or not, but I think that all three of the sequels are equally bad -- but in their own way. It's actually quite a feat when you think about it. Like you almost would have had to try.

Disney's stuff has been unmitigated garbage. Even Mandalorian which had some cool atmosphere and mood had to ruin it through endless retread and like a zillion cameos lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KaptainKrunk posted:

I don't know if this take is controversial or not, but I think that all three of the sequels are equally bad -- but in their own way. It's actually quite a feat when you think about it. Like you almost would have had to try.

Disney's stuff has been unmitigated garbage. Even Mandalorian which had some cool atmosphere and mood had to ruin it through endless retread and like a zillion cameos lol.

It's what happens when you're wildly overreacting to the last movie while failing to address the core underlying issues. Basically like the 3D Sonic games, which all keep being bad in different ways, while also having the same core gameplay problems of the basic structure simply not working well.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's what happens when you're wildly overreacting to the last movie while failing to address the core underlying issues.
That doesn't really seem to be what happened though - at least for Rise of Skywalker. Abrams and Chris Terrio had to pitch the entire movie to Bob Iger the same day The Last Jedi opened in theaters, so they wouldn't have had time to react to what audiences thought of the last movie.
There were a number of script changes after that of course (they'd only had 3 months to write the movie at that point), but all the big stuff that seems to be a reaction to Episode 8 (Rey Palpatine, Rose's diminished role, etc.) was already in the movie.

If Lucasfilm was backtracking on it, then they weren't even waiting for the current movie to be released when they started doing it. The only thing that seems to be an Executive decision made in response to The Last Jedi was to bring back Palpatine as a replacement villain. Chris Terrio has said that the decision was made before he came on board (which was the same week as Abrams returned to the movie) and implied that the idea was something Kathleen Kennedy wanted to do.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Robot Style posted:

That doesn't really seem to be what happened though - at least for Rise of Skywalker. Abrams and Chris Terrio had to pitch the entire movie to Bob Iger the same day The Last Jedi opened in theaters, so they wouldn't have had time to react to what audiences thought of the last movie.
There were a number of script changes after that of course (they'd only had 3 months to write the movie at that point), but all the big stuff that seems to be a reaction to Episode 8 (Rey Palpatine, Rose's diminished role, etc.) was already in the movie.

If Lucasfilm was backtracking on it, then they weren't even waiting for the current movie to be released when they started doing it. The only thing that seems to be an Executive decision made in response to The Last Jedi was to bring back Palpatine as a replacement villain. Chris Terrio has said that the decision was made before he came on board (which was the same week as Abrams returned to the movie) and implied that the idea was something Kathleen Kennedy wanted to do.

Disney's been known to make enormous changes based on feedback from test audiences - or at least that was my understanding re: Rogue One. So the timing doesn't necessary rule out changes based on feedback....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian said they didn’t do test screenings.

But honestly I really think the film they pitched and the film they made are two different things.

I know wiki is an iffy but it looks like they started shooting in mid 2018, plenty of time to hear the discourse around TLJ.

Watching rise recently it really comes off like a film created entirely in the edit. ADR everywhere, tons of scenes that could easily be jerked around and re edited to fit a new context. Like the mustafar stuff really gets me because it looks nothing like mustafar and it’s so quick we barely know what’s going on. It’s not even a scene. It’s a piece of a montage we never got. And we know from some BTS material that Kylo met with some kind of alien in the Water and or went into Vader’s castle.

Then there’s that business with Matt Smith who may or may not have been in the film...

It’s all over the place.

We’ll probably never know what happened.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first hour or so of the film really feels like a series of unrelated scenes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The part that made me laugh that’s now head canon to me is the reason there’s two Death Stars is because they messed up the first one by not using the Sith dagger to put palps secret room in the correct place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea why they didn’t call it a holocron

It was a holocron!! Just say the word !!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The first hour or so of the film really feels like a series of unrelated scenes.

I think the main reason it feels that way is because the entire plot is just laid out there in the first 5 minutes. Palpatine is back! He has a huge fleet! The fleet is launching soon and we have to stop it!

From there the entire movie is just getting our heroes to the place where they can face Palpatine, and we know that's where it's going so everything leading up to that is just filler nonsense that can play madlibs with and basically fill in whatever you want. As long as Kylo and Rey end up having a showdown with Palpatine at the end, none of the rest of it matters, and we know that right away. 90% of the movie is about a stupid macguffin that will allow them to know where Palpatine is, if not for that the movie could've been over in 15 minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seriously that dagger makes no sense. Why is it in the shape of the Death Star

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a lot of media is that simple if you reduce it into tropes.com slang

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

euphronius posted:

I have no idea why they didn’t call it a holocron

It was a holocron!! Just say the word !!
Look someone at Disney just really liked Kingdom Hearts and insisted on using the term WAYFINDER instead

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Then there’s that business with Matt Smith who may or may not have been in the film...

Matt Smith seems to be unfilmable - remember his character in Terminator Genisys? Neither do the editors.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do because he dies in a minute and then at the end becomes a CGI hologram lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

a lot of media is that simple if you reduce it into tropes.com slang

Most stuff is paced more evenly in terms of information and exposition though. Like, most movies have to introduce a villian and/or explain their motivations, or explain the goals of the hero and what the stakes are, and put all the major players together. That stuff takes time, usually it's spread out over the course of the first half of a movie. ROS was just such a weird thing where literally nothing had to be explained beyond the first 5 minutes because they gave us a rehashed villain with extremely simple motivations that we already knew, and the heroes and their situation had already been established in the previous two movies. So there's really nowhere for the story to go after those first 5 minutes except to spin it's wheels for a while until you can get Rey and Kylo to Palpatine via some sort of contrivance that could be literally anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Macguffin isn’t tv tropes slang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

Most stuff is paced more evenly in terms of information and exposition though. Like, most movies have to introduce a villian and/or explain their motivations, or explain the goals of the hero and what the stakes are, and put all the major players together. That stuff takes time, usually it's spread out over the course of the first half of a movie. ROS was just such a weird thing where literally nothing had to be explained beyond the first 5 minutes because they gave us a rehashed villain with extremely simple motivations that we already knew, and the heroes and their situation had already been established in the previous two movies. So there's really nowhere for the story to go after those first 5 minutes except to spin it's wheels for a while until you can get Rey and Kylo to Palpatine via some sort of contrivance that could be literally anything.

I do wonder if this is meant to be some kind of overcorrection to TLJ having too many twists and swerves or something.