Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

The only thing I don't like is that it assumes any sort of responsibility lies with Fuyumi or Natsuo- but that's traditional Japanese face-saving poo poo for you. lol they were literally children, not your loving therapists Rei/Enji

I don't think that their feeling responsible is an impartial third party judgement call on their level of blame. It just shows they have an internal motivation for wanting to help, instead of wanting to run screaming for the hills and change their names and go into witness protection, which they're both well within their rights to do.

It wouldn't be a comic about superheroes if there wasn't a healthy dose of questionably rational self-sacrifice to spread around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think that their feeling responsible is an impartial third party judgement call on their level of blame. It just shows they have an internal motivation for wanting to help, instead of wanting to run screaming for the hills and change their names and go into witness protection, which they're both well within their rights to do.

It wouldn't be a comic about superheroes if there wasn't a healthy dose of questionably rational self-sacrifice to spread around.

Pssh. Call me when they're willing to break some of their own bones in the process.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, I read it as Natsuo feeling like "poo poo, I could've done something and none of this would have happened." He was old enough to have meaningfully interacted with Toya and so on, even if he was like ten. So he's expressing this in what would more idiomatically be "I could've slapped some sense into you guys," which does not necessarily involve literal slapping.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, how much better off would this family be if Shoto were born first?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Rhonne posted:

Man, how much better off would this family be if Shoto were born first?

I think at that point, he'd just be Bakugo. Maybe an only child, maybe not (seems like Rei genuinely did want more kids), but definitely spending his entire life being praised for his very strong quirk and encouraged towards being a hero, and his dad would be way less of a psychopath so Shoto probably wouldn't be as withdrawn and sullen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CuwiKhons posted:

I think at that point, he'd just be Bakugo. Maybe an only child, maybe not (seems like Rei genuinely did want more kids), but definitely spending his entire life being praised for his very strong quirk and encouraged towards being a hero, and his dad would be way less of a psychopath so Shoto probably wouldn't be as withdrawn and sullen.

He was a little smug at the beginning when he was first introduced, but he'd probably be better off, for sure.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Some great Todoroki family pics this chapter.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The panel of Toya bothering Natsuo in the middle of the night with his incel ranting is kind of hilarious, ngl.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
AU where Toya doesn't burn down a mountain but instead becomes a youtuber and the algorithm makes young deku find his video titled "The REAL reason WOMEN say you ""can't"" be a hero because of your so-called genetics"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyd have found him much sooner but Dabis rants from inside his car that he posts on Herotube have single digit views.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It perfectly explains why Shigaraki the gamer actually gets along with Dabi when otherwise Dabi kind of sucks at helping the League.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I read it as Natsuo feeling like "poo poo, I could've done something and none of this would have happened." He was old enough to have meaningfully interacted with Toya and so on, even if he was like ten. So he's expressing this in what would more idiomatically be "I could've slapped some sense into you guys," which does not necessarily involve literal slapping.

Yep. It's possible to feel responsible and guilty about something going wrong even if it's 100% objectively not your fault, especially if you're convinced you could have done something to maybe possibly avert it in any way. It was absolutely not the responsibility of Fuyumi and Natsuo to help Touya and stop him going off the deep end, but they were still deeply and personally involved in the situation and are going to feel like they could have done something different.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its actually very realistic to how siblings/ parents feel when someone turns out to be a criminal. You think back to all the moments that you could have changed it. Maybe that day you didn't go to the park to play football is the day it all changed etc etc. If you'd have just tried harder maybe they wouldn't have gone down that path.

Good chapter

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theyd have found him much sooner but Dabis rants from inside his car that he posts on Herotube have single digit views.

But his dance videos are in the millions

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

AU where Toya doesn't burn down a mountain but instead becomes a youtuber and the algorithm makes young deku find his video titled "The REAL reason WOMEN say you ""can't"" be a hero because of your so-called genetics"

No worries, Deku will see an All Might PSA about respecting women and he'll turn on Dabi instantly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It is interesting how similar Deku and Dabi grew up. Both basically being told they can't be heroes. Doing stupid self-harm to try to prove they can.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Deku didn’t start doing stupid self harm until he already knew he could be a hero because of OFA. As a kid, he basically just gave up and fell into watching hero society from the outside.

“Some day, I’ll be a hero”, 14 year old Deku tells himself, not so much as doing basic cardio.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He still ran into a villian that like 4 other heroes refused to even do anything about while unpowered.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

He didn't do that to prove that he could do it (especially since he objectively couldn't), he did it because it was his childhood best friend and Deku had already been attacked by that slime villain so he knew exactly how horrible it felt to be slowly suffocated. I have a suspicion that if it both of those things hadn't been true, Deku might not have rushed in that way.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

god dammit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

god dammit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sure am glad I get back into MHA just in time to see its fandom ruin really cool stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A very polite list of expletives to the people that have denied us chapter trivia because someone said something about a character in a series they don't like

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i try to avoid all fandom discourse as much as possible but the stuff swirling around La Famille de Todoroki has always seemed especially horrid

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wait, what happened with the trivia guy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why is the nice person who was telling us fun stuff about each chapter leaving? Not that I begrudge anyone leaving Twitter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
you see Endeavor said something that isn't 100% accurate to what he said in Japanese according to pirated chapters so clearly the translator hated Endeavor and wants everyone else to hate him and it's making me writing my fanfic where he's shipped with Hawks very difficult

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's about ethics in manga translation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wait, what happened with the trivia guy?

Being the primary translator on a really popular series with lots of fans means that you are automatically the target for virulent fan hatred and harassment if their favorite character says something they don't like.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It apparently exploded because in English Endevour said...

"dammit"

i am not doing a bit

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

"dammit"

i am not doing a bit

Blockhouse posted:

you see Endeavor said something that isn't 100% accurate to what he said in Japanese according to pirated chapters so clearly the translator hated Endeavor and wants everyone else to hate him and it's making me writing my fanfic where he's shipped with Hawks very difficult

Kanos posted:

Being the primary translator on a really popular series with lots of fans means that you are automatically the target for virulent fan hatred and harassment if their favorite character says something they don't like.

Fanbases were a mistake.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
On the flip side, I can't actually imagine reading twitter mentions, most people with followings his size turn them off. Actually giving a poo poo about what people are saying on Twitter is a great way to drive yourself loving insane. Caleb will be much better off, what an annoying fanbase.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MorningMoon posted:

"dammit"

i am not doing a bit
What? That's a perfectly good idiomatic phrase. If you wanted to be more specifically Japanese he could say "poo poo!!" instead, but "dammit" and "poo poo" are often judged to have different swear factors

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Fandoms are bad

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shere posted:

On the flip side, I can't actually imagine reading twitter mentions, most people with followings his size turn them off. Actually giving a poo poo about what people are saying on Twitter is a great way to drive yourself loving insane. Caleb will be much better off, what an annoying fanbase.

It's not just personal harassment, it's also people tweeting VIZ and trying to get him fired.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Scholtz posted:

It's about ethics in manga translation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

"dammit"

i am not doing a bit

What did they want him to say?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What did they want him to say?

Kuso, probably

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My Hero is for GROWN UPS and so should've used a GROWN UP word like "loving poo poo rear end", not this baby "dammit" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's not just personal harassment, it's also people tweeting VIZ and trying to get him fired.

loving mind boggling