Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

idk anything about this azarinth story but TWI has an extremely large cast of likeable characters, essentially endless depths of worldbuilding, and what few numbers it does have are so seamlessly integrated into the story that the fact of their existence is a central part of the grand overarching plot

i think it's hard to compare that to a numbers go up story and say "yeah, only a little bit better", imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jazerus posted:

idk anything about this azarinth story but TWI has an extremely large cast of likeable characters, essentially endless depths of worldbuilding, and what few numbers it does have are so seamlessly integrated into the story that the fact of their existence is a central part of the grand overarching plot

i think it's hard to compare that to a numbers go up story and say "yeah, only a little bit better", imo

Agreed 100%

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jazerus posted:

So in order for a story to not be poorly written it has to have a large cast of likable characters, a way of creating perpetual world building opportunities, and if it users numbers it can't only be in the way TWI does it. Got it. You should probably just put me on ignore, I can't stand large casts of characters (and I don't like TWI's characters which is why I eventually stopped reading it) and I enjoy all sorts of stories with numbers even if most of them are trashy. I'm not going to try and say whether we'd clash on worldbuilding impressions based off TWI because I stopped reading it but two out of three covers your bases.

Oh, I also have a problem with claiming a story I know nothing about is written worse than a story I do know something about based on mostly personal taste in novel and not actual writing chops. Even though I'm not a fan of TWI I don't go around saying it's impossible to understand how anyone could like it because it's so poorly written, it's just not for me. So let's call it three out of four things we disagree on.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 23, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think that we already have enough people turning their nose up on web serials in their entirety as being a lesser form of literature than published books, so we really don't need to establish a second pecking order where we determine which web serial formats are better than others.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Argue posted:

I think that we already have enough people turning their nose up on web serials in their entirety as being a lesser form of literature than published books, so we really don't need to establish a second pecking order where we determine which web serial formats are better than others.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think it's a little much for the three of you to take what i said as some kind of declaration of eternal enmity toward number go up stories. i like some of those ones too and i even think they're well-written! it's my opinion that TWI is a cut above literally every other web serial, and many famous fantasy novels for that matter. there are stories out there with potential, like tower of somnus and beware of chicken, but a lot of good ones have failed to stick the landing over the years, like mother of learning, so we'll see. but this does not mean i think everything else is trash.

let's please discuss our dumb internet books without reading so much ill intent into each others posts

also btw i said i knew nothing about azarinth as a way to say "hey, i have no idea how much my post applies to the current discussion", because i truly have no idea what its quality level is at all since i first heard of it about 5 minutes before i posted. i thought that was clear but i guess not

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 23, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jazerus posted:

I've actually tried several times to read TWI and bounced hard, mostly because I found it to be the complete opposite of likeable characters. I found both Erin and Ryouka to be pretty unpleasant to share headspace with (albeit for different reasons) and every other character is pretty much a minor side story at most.

Azarinth isn't a lot better in this regard, admittedly, since at least for the first hundred chapters or so the main character is basically a mindless battle junky that actively avoids having to interact with other human beings so she can go do OP isekai fights.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bremen posted:

I've actually tried several times to read TWI and bounced hard, mostly because I found it to be the complete opposite of likeable characters. I found both Erin and Ryouka to be pretty unpleasant to share headspace with (albeit for different reasons) and every other character is pretty much a minor side story at most.

Azarinth isn't a lot better in this regard, admittedly, since at least for the first hundred chapters or so the main character is basically a mindless battle junky that actively avoids having to interact with other human beings so she can go do OP isekai fights.

i would say that the early parts of TWI honestly do not resemble the last few volumes very much at all, except in overall spirit, and so a lot of the complaints can be confusing for long-time readers whose memories have elided the change in quality and focus over time.

erin and ryoka are definitely not the only main characters at this point. i would say that erin is definitely #1 in terms of the amount of time spent from her perspective, but if you combine everyone else's perspectives together (even excluding ryoka), they significantly outweigh erin. both erin and ryoka are pretty different from how they started, too.

at this point TWI is a globe-spanning story with at least 10 different protagonists of varying importance, and dozens of minor characters, many of whom have received so much characterization over time that they don't seem minor at all. all i can say is that if you keep reading, you aren't going to just get more of the same thing from volume 1 for millions of words.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bremen posted:

Yeah that's the part that got me, maybe it gets better, and I think I have a lot of patience for fiction, but I read 150 chapters of Azarinth kind of mindlessly over a day or two and had to stop myself and go "Alright Jade, pop quiz time! What's the plot and why are you reading it?"

I couldn't give a clear answer, so I finally gave up. Maybe it gets better from there on in, but the first 150 chapters were a wandering murderhobo. Which is fine, but not really my flavour.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Whoops. I didn't mean to spark that discussion again, right before trying to drown my insomnia in a random Kindle series.

Which is basically what got me to read Azarinth, now that I think about it. I think I read something like 500ish chapters over two days, just trying to pass the time until my brain would finally let me sleep.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Azarinth is the most popular mindless number go up story but I think it's just there out of inertia. Beneath the Dragoneye Moons is, on a base level, incredibly similar, but I think it's a bajillion times better. It's still so far mostly about traveling around beating up monsters, but with friends instead of mumbling to yourself about not wanting to kill people while eating a three course meal on a windy mountain peak

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'll definitely agree that Dragoneye is a better read, especially from the beginning. There's also been some developments in the Patreon chapters that I'm interested in seeing where things go.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think I'm throwing in the towel on trying to market my stories as web serials / attempting to push them in web serial circles

there's surface level similarities but past that I suspect web serial readers are looking for a different thing than I am hocking

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think I'm throwing in the towel on trying to market my stories as web serials / attempting to push them in web serial circles

there's surface level similarities but past that I suspect web serial readers are looking for a different thing than I am hocking
You'd think adding a bit of art would make it easier to read, but I just end up bookmarking your stuff for a later date in favour of plain text. Sorry.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You'd think adding a bit of art would make it easier to read, but I just end up bookmarking your stuff for a later date in favour of plain text. Sorry.

nah it's cool, like I said it's just not the right fit between pursued audience and actual product; I went through the same song and dance trying to call it a webcomic and slowly discovering the two audience circles did not overlap

I think most of my current readerbase were pulled from gaming sites I've advertised on, which sucks, because the number of gaming subreddits/forums/websites you can advertise on is way more limited when what you're advertising isn't actually a game

marketing sucks, folks

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I think my new plan is to try and suck enough dicks before the next Superbowl to buy half a second of commercial time

the football fans won't be into it but it'll get people talking

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres that one webcomic that's already on royal road. but yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I read a ton, but I have no interest in anything with graphics usually. I just think it gets in the way of the reading, or the reading gets in the way of the neat art.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm not familiar with your story, but I'm having a similar hesitancy with my work. First off, it's not a "true" web serial, it's a completed novel I want to make free available online, through a website. Secondly, and maybe more importantly, it's not the typical story of a web novel, not from what I can see. It deals with a real life situation; schizophrenia. I'm putting up chapters as soon as I get the html sorted, but apart from that the whole story is going to be up relatively quickly.

The only reason I'm bringing it up in this thread is pretty much because we're all goons. I doubt I'd dip my toe in the larger web-fiction/web-serial world (unless someone says, "Actually, there's a place where people deal with this stuff...")

Anyway, I'l link it up here. The whole story should be up within a week or two. There's a good chunk up now.

http://whatisharmony.com/ This is a book about schizophrenia. It is also about many more things.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Read through Beware of Chicken from chapter 1 to yesterday's chapter and it's really wholesome, endearing, and funny.

Thanks to all who recommended it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It gives me the slice of life that I crave.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
pirateaba is experimenting with "editing"

I wish the editors the very best of luck

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I wish pirate hadn't called it a "contest"; it lumps them in with the celebs who ask you to make logos and art "for exposure". But they're offering a good deal more than the professional per-word rate and it isn't actually much different from a job interview (although I expect that the actual salary they'd give a regular editor would be less, unless pirate has secretly edged dangerously close to that million dollar retirement patreon goal).

That said, lol @ anyone who has to give every chapter of TWI a thorough professional edit

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Editing TWI even as a fulltime job would take at least a year just for what's written already, never mind keeping up with her drastically increased pace since last year.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Twi patreon: do we have any idea who the gnolls are at the very end?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

tithin posted:

Twi patreon: do we have any idea who the gnolls are at the very end?

they were the Plains' eye gnolls hit squad to take out doombringers

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm trying to imagine publishing TWI in a book format, or even better, on paper. Can you even make a book that thick?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Peachfart posted:

I'm trying to imagine publishing TWI in a book format, or even better, on paper. Can you even make a book that thick?

no but you can publish dozens of volumes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Someone printed out volume 1--the shortest volume--for themselves, furbished inside with a bit of fanart. This is how much space it would take to print out the current amount of content for volume 8, and volume 7 is five times longer.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just looked it up, TWI is a bit over 7 million words as of now. Which makes it the longest English single author fiction written.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Argue posted:

Someone printed out volume 1--the shortest volume--for themselves, furbished inside with a bit of fanart. This is how much space it would take to print out the current amount of content for volume 8, and volume 7 is five times longer.

i can tell you right away that the binding on that will break super fast. paperback book bindings break super, super fast when you get to four figure page counts (shock of shocks right there).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The answer is clearly very tiny print that you need a magnifying glass to read.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peachfart posted:

Just looked it up, TWI is a bit over 7 million words as of now. Which makes it the longest English single author fiction written.
man I keep thinking of Henry Darger in different threads

but I wonder if he would have published on RR

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

The answer is clearly very tiny print that you need a magnifying glass to read.
Also large pages.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The answer is to not try to print Volume 7 as a single book, but to instead split it into Volume 7 Volume 1, Volume 7 Volume 2, and so on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think the answer is actually a couple of dozen extremely severe editing passes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The answer is to not try to print Volume 7 as a single book, but to instead split it into Volume 7 Volume 1, Volume 7 Volume 2, and so on.
Volume 7 Volume 7 Volume 1,

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Volume 7 Volume 7 Volume 1,

get out of here hussie

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Argue posted:

I wish pirate hadn't called it a "contest"; it lumps them in with the celebs who ask you to make logos and art "for exposure". But they're offering a good deal more than the professional per-word rate and it isn't actually much different from a job interview (although I expect that the actual salary they'd give a regular editor would be less, unless pirate has secretly edged dangerously close to that million dollar retirement patreon goal).

Yeah, $0.25 a word is more than 10 times the going rate for an editor+proofreader. Realistically it would be more like $0.02-0.03 per word.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

She makes well over 200k a year and I've gotten the impression from some of the things she's said/implied in Discord that she doesn't spend a whole lot on herself, so paying that much to get a really fuckin good editor is probably a great deal for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

25 cents a word, lol
Gonna make someone very rich and/or very insane