Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Throw floats on it and you can fish where other people with less power can't!

oh yeah they definitely have their place, I’m just saying don’t expect some amazing high performance airplane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

e.pilot posted:

oh yeah they definitely have their place, I’m just saying don’t expect some amazing high performance airplane

These are just lies told by Big Aerodynamics to convince you that you can't bolt a Viper V10 to a 172 and outperform a Mooney.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

The future we really wanted:

I dream bigger.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The other excerpt from North Atlantic Cat.

So after doing a ferry flight with an aging HP Hampton from Ireland, across the Arctic to Vancouver (which was a terrifying aircraft in several ways, not the least of which was apparently the flaps and landing gear switches were contained in a tin box with a spring-loaded opening) McVicar gets a plum assignment: flying the Prince of the Netherlands back to the UK. (You'll have to tell me who this is, as McVicar doesn't name him.) Anyway, he gets the aircraft of choice for the ferry command pilot: a B-24. Thus the stage is set for some Zeppelinaut/Blackbird pilot/Soviet Space program aeronautical insanity:

Next chapter: our hero gets drunk with an American, and instead of makin' time with a lady, he follows the lout to the "bad" side of Montreal (IE the entirely french part) where the American gets jumped and robbed in a strip-club restroom, a fight ensues, the RCMP arrive and get the wallet back and take the servicemen home (while saying "why did you have to cross X street anyway, ya dingus") American gets his gun in the hotel room intending to murder the robbers, and it ends up with McVicar with a class 1 hangover in his superior's office, being told he's the best pilot when working and the stupidest one when not. Also have a ferry flight to India, we need to get you out of Montreal for awhile.

MrYenko posted:

I dream bigger.

Same but B-36 flying boat

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I need a European class 2 private pilot certificate to apply for ESA's astronaut program. I need to fill out a form to give to my doctor before my visit. This form asks if I smoke cigarettes.

Does anyone know if this information is written on said certificate?

ESA asks for people who are free of addictions, obviously, and also very obviously, this is a habit I can stop to make my dream come true.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I’ve also flown 150hp 150s, they still cruise at the blistering speed of about 85kt.

All the power in the world can’t do anything with poo poo aerodynamics.

We had one of those (even better, actually, a 152 with a 180hp O-320) at the flight school and the owner took it back and it was a bummer because it was a lot of fun to fly. If you forgot to pull the throttle after leveling off you'd be at the yellow arc by the downwind turn :getin:

Fairly severe stall characteristics compared to one with the regular engine, though. All that extra weight up front.

Also that specific plane, N714SW, was the very first 152 off the production line so it's cool to have it in my logbook

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

MrYenko posted:

I dream bigger.

Stratolaunch converted to catamaran when

edit:

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 23, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CommieGIR posted:

The future we really wanted:

Looks like something Sea Patrol would have.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I get big Tales From The Punchbowl / Southbound Pachyderm vibes from the Sea-130

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Nebakenezzer posted:

(You'll have to tell me who this is, as McVicar doesn't name him.)

Looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Bernhard_of_Lippe-Biesterfeld, the article says he was a pilot and he fits the description.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That weirdo STOL guy who makes the little pushcarts should work on making the Sea-130 a reality instead of crashing more carbon cubs.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

go play outside Skyler posted:

I need a European class 2 private pilot certificate to apply for ESA's astronaut program. I need to fill out a form to give to my doctor before my visit. This form asks if I smoke cigarettes.

Does anyone know if this information is written on said certificate?

ESA asks for people who are free of addictions, obviously, and also very obviously, this is a habit I can stop to make my dream come true.

you should stop smoking whether you want to be an astronaut or not.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that... if I don't open the hatch to the French module and immediately get side-eye from three dudes sitting there smoking Gauloises I'mma just go back to earth.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hannibal posted:

Looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Bernhard_of_Lippe-Biesterfeld, the article says he was a pilot and he fits the description.

Man:

Fighter Pilot, combat vet

Wanted to work in British Intelligence, there was resistence until on the personal request of Churchill Ian Flemming did his security screening

Helped found the WWF (the World Wildlife Fund)

Helped found the Bilderberg Group

Had to step down as chair for same as he was involved in the Lockheed bribery scandals

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yes

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carth Dookie posted:

you should stop smoking whether you want to be an astronaut or not.

:hmmyes:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Same but B-36 flying boat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/status/1364022047421190145?s=20

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

marumaru posted:

turboprop 172

172s aren't too much smaller than a 206, right?

https://achtungskyhawk.com/2019/04/22/photo-file-pratt-my-ride-the-pt6-cessna-206-s5-dot/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This was a thing Convair engineers briefly considered.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeings-deepening-787-inspections-point-to-risk-of-longer-delay/

I am literally doing jack poo poo for 6 hours a day because we can't ship any 787 stuff except for assemblies related to this rework and there's no end in sight

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This short take off thing is getting out of hand

https://twitter.com/FloRacing/status/1364615078532632577

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
That could've been real ugly. Looks like the driver activated the chute quite early in the sequence, so it had time to inflate and pull the wheels back in line with the track before the car went into a wall.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

holy poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BobHoward posted:

That could've been real ugly. Looks like the driver activated the chute quite early in the sequence, so it had time to inflate and pull the wheels back in line with the track before the car went into a wall.

I'm kinda baffled by the physics of that landing. Its like he landed perpendicular to the road on a concrete barrier then it somehow straightened out?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
chute happens

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm kinda baffled by the physics of that landing. Its like he landed perpendicular to the road on a concrete barrier then it somehow straightened out?

drag cars barely have tires in the front compared to giant meaty slicks in the back, there’s vastly more grip in the back

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

e.pilot posted:

I’ve also flown 150hp 150s, they still cruise at the blistering speed of about 85kt.

All the power in the world can’t do anything with poo poo aerodynamics.

Speed goes up with the third root of power, so if you take a 160 horsepower 172 and put in a 400-horsepower engine, you're going to go like 125 knots instead of 90. :mmmsmug:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
So I guess the torque from the engine lifted the front, and that increased the angle of attack, and since it was already at speed that lifted it off the ground?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Inadvertent lifting body design

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/forbes/status/1364309072665837569?s=21

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Diatribe because I'm in ~a mood~
If you're wondering if this is a dumb clickbait headline, it is. This author is literally just making up that they said this. They did not in fact admit this. In the opinion of the desperate lovely author, they admitted this. But this author is dumb. Zero integrity about this headline.

quote:

The 17-ton, non-stealthy F-16 is too difficult to upgrade with the latest software, Brown explained. Instead of ordering fresh F-16s, he said, the Air Force should initiate a “clean-sheet design” for a new low-end fighter.

Brown’s comments are a tacit admission that the F-35 has failed.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Forbes is garbage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Forbes is basically a medium.com with a once prestigious magazine name.

Also wouldn’t scores of cheap fighters be basically cannon fodder that would get slaughtered, just build drones which already exist.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If the idea was to be cheap or have reasonable operating costs...

I dunno, I know lots of people are at the acceptance stage of the whole thing, but I'm not sure that the F-35 isn't so fundamentally flawed developing two or three aircraft from the technology wouldn't be better

brains
May 12, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

This short take off thing is getting out of hand

https://twitter.com/FloRacing/status/1364615078532632577

annual reminder that with enough thrust, anything will fly

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I dunno, I know lots of people are at the acceptance stage of the whole thing, but I'm not sure that the F-35 rigid airship isn't so fundamentally flawed developing two or three aircraft from the technology wouldn't be better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

brains posted:

annual reminder that with enough thrust, anything will fly

that was more a demonstration of angle of attack imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

I dunno, I know lots of people are at the acceptance stage of the whole thing, but I'm not sure that the F-35 isn't so fundamentally flawed developing two or three aircraft from the technology wouldn't be better

Is the F-35 fundamentally flawed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is the F-35 fundamentally flawed?

The B is.