Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

If you're going to use gentoo, you may as well just do BFLS and roll your own distro. At least you can replace gnu coreutils, glibc and systemd with the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

what up my yocto brother, together we will rid the world of buildroot and all of its bullshit limitations

make menuconfig bitch.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo with systemd is the best, but i would never dare to suggest to someone else to try it out

except for once in this thread when someone talked about compiling brave for reasons

you have to want to test it out yourself, people will have the worst experience of linux ever if you try gentoo without knowing what its deal is beforehand

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went from UnixWare to Slackware.

Only slightly less annoying.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol gentoo and best in the same sentence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tankakern posted:

people will have the worst experience of linux ever if you try gentoo

QFT

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i recently updated my htpc, it only took four days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do you just play 4'33" on loop or something?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Gentoo legit has some pretty cool tooling. I maintain an overlay with software that isn't in the main repository and writing ebuilds is much easier than writing deb or rpm packages. If you're involved in the low-level guts of the Linux ecosystem it's good.

If you are not: Don't even think about using Gentoo.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
all this distro talk underscores the reason why linux is not "on the desktop"

as long as the inherently limited human resources available to work on linux system integration are split across a hundred feuding distributions, doing redundant and often harmful work, linux can never improve fast enough to take on better funded commercial systems

this is not my insight and it is not a new one, but it is so so very true

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

all this distro talk underscores the reason why linux is not "on the desktop"

as long as the inherently limited human resources available to work on linux system integration are split across a hundred feuding distributions, doing redundant and often harmful work, linux can never improve fast enough to take on better funded commercial systems

this is not my insight and it is not a new one, but it is so so very true

nah. I don’t see any reason at all to assume that linux would improve faster if you took all the people who make debs and all the people who make rpms and forced them to work together. what exactly do you think they’d all do?

also, macos and windows both have multiple competing package managers too!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im gonna use fedora on my main cool beefy laptop but ive got this cheap as dirt 3d-printed one by my bed that i might try installing arch on for shits and giggles
i would dual boot it on the main laptop but i cannot be loving bothered re-partitioning poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

nah. I don’t see any reason at all to assume that linux would improve faster if you took all the people who make debs and all the people who make rpms and forced them to work together. what exactly do you think they’d all do?

the secret ingredient is money

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

REAL men use plan9

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hbag posted:

REAL men use plan9

templeos

:rip: that dude

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
you might think vim is good now, but imagine what it could be if the geniuses behind vim.deb and vim.rpm combined their talents to make an even better repackaging of someone else’s work. but alas,

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Soricidus posted:

you might think vim is good now, but imagine what it could be if the geniuses behind vim.deb and vim.rpm combined their talents to make an even better repackaging of someone else’s work. but alas,

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
If everyone used vim we'd be exploring the galaxy, star trek style.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

the vast majority of windows and macOS users do not use package managers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

the vast majority of windows and macOS users do not use package managers

windows sure but the macOS store is a package manager

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

perhaps i was a little too elliptical with "often harmful work"

if the entire distro model didn't exist linux might not require constant repackaging of someone else's work

idk what you'd put on the repackager's plates, but maybe some of them could actually learn how to create new and useful things, and the rest could, i dunno, try to help with documentation or something

more to the point it would save upstream work too. it's well documented that the linux distro model imposes lots of burdens on anyone who wants to ship software on a linux

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

as someone who regularly uses and loves vim, vim is a loving nightmare to learn and i bet most users only use 10% of its actions

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have been using Linux for almost 20 years now and I never use Vim anymore. Nano, gedit, or a jetbrains IDE are the 3 editors I use constantly. I can use VIM, I used it for years. These days I’m just lazy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

sure if you mean the 1971 game

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i use doom emacs so i piss everyone off an equal amount

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BobHoward posted:

if the entire distro model didn't exist linux might not require constant repackaging of someone else's work

yeah, the windows solution of "go to random websites from the 90s and download executables that defeinitely haven't been compromised yet from sourceforge" is so much better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hbag posted:

im gonna use fedora on my main cool beefy laptop but ive got this cheap as dirt 3d-printed one by my bed that i might try installing arch on for shits and giggles
i would dual boot it on the main laptop but i cannot be loving bothered re-partitioning poo poo

if you're rebooting at all you done hosed up

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I have been using Linux for almost 20 years now and I never use Vim anymore. Nano, gedit, or a jetbrains IDE are the 3 editors I use constantly. I can use VIM, I used it for years. These days I’m just lazy.

IMO Micro is my new favorite terminal text editor.

Kate for my GUI text edior.

infernal machines posted:

Doesn't Fedora literally do Windows style reboots to install updates?

hobbesmaster posted:

windows sure but the macOS store is a package manager

What is the windows store then?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fedora only reboots for kernel updates and version release updates.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

poo poo nobody uses

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

a miserable pile of secrets

also, frequently broken

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

believe it or not i like my laptop to have a functioning battery

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't Fedora literally do Windows style reboots to install updates?

did i stutter?

hbag posted:

believe it or not i like my laptop to have a functioning battery

but then why the hell are you using linux to begin with?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Fedora only reboots for kernel updates and version release updates.

Maybe I was thinking of Fedora Silverblue? I'm pretty sure that does do windows style reboots to install because of how it's architected..

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Windows and MacOS updates are so bad.

I use my workstation when I work from home, so my work laptop will sit for months.

When I went to update the laptop, Fedora was a simple “dnf update -y” and a reboot. Windows was multiple updates that took 10 - 30 minutes each to install with at least 5 reboots.

MacOS updates are also huge and take 30+ minutes to install.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

did i stutter?

but then why the hell are you using linux to begin with?

ive got it set up to run powertop --auto-tune on boot i get like 12 hours out of 1 charge
that's pretty loving good if you ask me

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
If you update fedora through dnf it only needs to be rebooted for the kernel but if you update through gnome package manager (which you would imagine would be the preferred way these days) it downloads the packages and then reboots into an automatic dnf-like package installer then reboots again (lol). Stick to running dnf manually, OP

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol does it also have 4 os partitions and an overlay fs on root or did they just grab reboot into firmware upgrade mode from embedded world

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram posted:

linux? like from jurassic park?

my kid is loving nuts for jurassic park and you’ve just given me a great in for ruining his life by teaching him linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

lol does it also have 4 os partitions and an overlay fs on root or did they just grab reboot into firmware upgrade mode from embedded world

Firmware update mode isn't the preferred update method anymore. Thanks to cheap eMMC’s it's all about A/B updates.