Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Yeah as far as we know (iirc), the Island's immortality comes from Thistle's magic preserving the Golden Kingdom, so it's kind of weird to just say "oh yeah it's everywhere".
Another entry tells us that this rule only applies to Dungeons that manifest in manmade structures (the island was originally a Dwarven ruin), vs those that appear from naturally-formed environs like deep woods or cave systems. Apparently, anywhere the dimension of infinite magic leaks through, reality warps and a Dungeon can start to form, but not all dungeons are created equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brought To You By posted:

That's really odd because the story seems to substantiate that it's an exclusively elvish property to have immortality in a dungeon. The ring from the red dragon flashback was gold and bought from and elf and Thistle's whole deal is using an immortality spell to keep the souls of the citizens bound to the kingdom. Oh well

There's a difference between the immortality curse that allows adventurers to return to life when they die horribly and the weird stasis form of immortality Thistle has the kingdom's people trapped in. The immortality curse is common across all dungeons of sufficient size/power. Every member of the protagonist party has died and returned to life at least once due to the dungeon's curse of immortality, and only one of them has any elf heritage.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

There's a difference between the immortality curse that allows adventurers to return to life when they die horribly and the weird stasis form of immortality Thistle has the kingdom's people trapped in. The immortality curse is common across all dungeons of sufficient size/power. Every member of the protagonist party has died and returned to life at least once due to the dungeon's curse of immortality, and only one of them has any elf heritage.
I don't see how these two things can be mutually exclusive since the definition provided says that the soul is bound to the body in all cases. This goes back to why I had the question about the Lycan-elf dying in an arena fight but being resurrected after his first death. The common element in all the resurrection processes we've had explained indicates you need to tether the soul because just healing the body won't do anything to bring someone back. Which is why the constant emphasis that this is the result of lost magic has always been relevant to understanding how it works.

Obviously Kui can make the rules however she wants but how does a natural dungeon also have this curse in place? It's something I extrapolated from Marcille's comments on when she first entered the island dungeon. She's been to others before but this was the first "live" artificial one she'd encountered and it was also her first time experiencing a resurrection which made it seem either exclusive to this dungeon and more something she'd read about in theory, or knowing what I do now still a rare trait for a dungeon to have. Epoxy is right, not all dungeons are created equal and the artificial ones seem to just be the result of ancients tapping into the hell dimension and subsequently sealing off a demon. Which explains how a dungeon can expand so quickly but doesn't automatically explain the presence of the curse.

At least those are my thoughts. It's not like this breaks anything but it raises some more questions about how dungeons work. Like that small cave Falin discovered while at academy. According to the guidebook you could resurrect someone that died in it and that just feels weird.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Well, it didn't say that all dungeons have the immortality curse, it said that "most dungeons that attract adventurers in numbers" have the curse. And since the dungeons that attract the most adventurers are dungeons with active demons who are actively turning the area into a trap to lure in the greedy and ambitious, that's where the curse would come from. After all, it's a lot easier to build up a population of career dungeon-divers if even a fatal blunder doesn't stop novices from learning from their mistakes and giving it another go, and the dungeon will be more attractive for non-combat stuff (like gold-strippers or the gnome academics) if death is just a cost of doing business rather than a permanent goodnight. In other words, the big difference in dungeons isn't whether they're situated in natural or manmade areas, it's whether they're caused by a summoned demon or just a bit of natural magic leakage.

Besides, the immortality forced upon the Golden Kingdom residents is clearly different from what's available to adventurers. It's not clear what's going on with them - they seemed to think they were still living in their physical bodies as long as they stayed in the village, but from what we've seen in Thistle's house, there appears to be something more complicated going on. But in any case, it's clearly something more than just holding in the souls, since their bodies are perfectly preserved too, something we know isn't available to adventurers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm confused here. Are you saying Thistle's immortality is not the same as the elvish scripts scrawled over the entire dungeon that the Gnome dude is trying in part to decipher? Because I thought the spells to preserve the bodies of the royal family and even the pocket dimension where the souls of the residents live alongside monsters were different than the general state of the dungeon.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
It seems like Thistle's spell makes people immortal by keeping them young forever, versus the general dungeon-magic which makes resurrection possible but presumably does nothing about old age or infirmity.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
The impression I got that is that resurrection magic is still a thing outside of dungeons but has a much lower success rate. Dying in an arena where they're expecting people to get slaughtered and have medical staff on hand to revivify the body before it cools seems relatively low risk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I'm confused here. Are you saying Thistle's immortality is not the same as the elvish scripts scrawled over the entire dungeon that the Gnome dude is trying in part to decipher? Because I thought the spells to preserve the bodies of the royal family and even the pocket dimension where the souls of the residents live alongside monsters were different than the general state of the dungeon.

I think thats what ths mangas saying yeah.
Thistle and the royal family and their subjects are immortal for different reasons than what allows a person in a dungeon to be revived easily.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alopex posted:

The impression I got that is that resurrection magic is still a thing outside of dungeons but has a much lower success rate. Dying in an arena where they're expecting people to get slaughtered and have medical staff on hand to revivify the body before it cools seems relatively low risk.

I'd think that dungeons would be a good place to run your secret illegal fight clubs, really.

Easier to revive people, showier magic is easy to perform, and it's harder for the authorities to crack down.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
The Adventurer’s Bible: Chilchuck

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nice touch having the hobbit "surnames" be patronymic.

(One of my fantasy world-building bugbears is everyone having modern-style family names)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Age 13: Married, first child, second child
Age 14: Adulthood

Shotgun wedding haha

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

I am liking Namari a lot from her appearances in these, she seems like a cool friend to hang out with. Even if she is a pervert who won't stop ogling your gams.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I am liking Namari a lot from her appearances in these, she seems like a cool friend to hang out with. Even if she is a pervert who won't stop ogling your gams.
She's not kink shaming so why are you? :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like how Kiki is all like, "You wanna touch?" :wink:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Probably the lewdest this comic has been.

Except for Marcille's familiar wiggle dance.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Donkringel posted:

Probably the lewdest this comic has been.

Except for Marcille's familiar wiggle dance.

Laius did want to count nipples that one time...and they let him milk a minotaur :shepface:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
There’s a possibly even hornier Namari comic either later in the book or in the daydream hour. Maybe it’s a good thing she left the party or Dungeon Meshi might have ended up R18.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Daydream Hour 4

MikeSevigny posted:

There’s a possibly even hornier Namari comic either later in the book or in the daydream hour. Maybe it’s a good thing she left the party or Dungeon Meshi might have ended up R18.

DrSunshine posted:

Kiki? More like Kinky

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

so if kuro has regular intelligence but a langauge barrier is he like, effectively a slave for that lil halfling dude or what

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Quoting this because it got lost above the other quotes for me.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Kui's art is phenomenal as ever :vince:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Fereydun posted:

so if kuro has regular intelligence but a langauge barrier is he like, effectively a slave for that lil halfling dude or what

Well, Mickbell was worried if he went through official channels like the guild, he wouldn't be able to "employ" Kuro any more. As always, Chilchuck was right

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Ok, the Halloween costumes are adorable.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Holy poo poo she's amazing

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It seems in every universe, wizard poops are inscrutable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fereydun posted:

Yes, basically. Mickbell is a bad person.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

In all these art books and stuff it remains impressive her attention to detail and how she thinks about the setting and characters. A lot of creativity and thoughtfulness!

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

An absolute masterclass of worldbuilding. This is one of only a few series where I enjoy the supplemental material as much as I enjoy the main story.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I really would like for her next work to be set in the modern times because her fashion sense is immaculate.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

Holy poo poo she's amazing
The comparison pictures of the one Canary with and without make-up really show how well-considered every little line in her characters' faces is.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I really would like for her next work to be set in the modern times because her fashion sense is immaculate.

I would interested to see her do a detective series similar to like QED or something. Her ideas and details seem like it would be well suited for the genre.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

What's interesting to me is knowing she's put some thought into characters I would have assumed were just throwaways, like Senshi's old team. Those guys lasted less than a chapter!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There was something nice in the comments for once.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Poor Namari needs to learn the phrase 'asking for a friend'

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Wallrod posted:

Poor Namari needs to learn the phrase 'yes, i have a leg fetish and i'm proud of it'

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

oh, the attention to detail thing reminded me of something cool when i was doin a re-read:

chilchuk's daughters have had the designs from the big encyclopedia/guide thing since chapter 60 which i assume predates it by a long rear end time

also, random thing but senshi is apparently crazy handsome by non-tallmen standards because literally everyone who isnt a human/elf mentions how handsome he is

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Fereydun posted:

oh, the attention to detail thing reminded me of something cool when i was doin a re-read:

chilchuk's daughters have had the designs from the big encyclopedia/guide thing since chapter 60 which i assume predates it by a long rear end time

also, random thing but senshi is apparently crazy handsome by non-tallmen standards because literally everyone who isnt a human/elf mentions how handsome he is

Because he is crazy handsome:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
To be fair he's a helmet and beard with googly eyes for 75% of the manga so it's easy to forget, but the table of party members as different races is proof if you ever need it that senshi is a chiseled handsome man and marcille laius everyone is a cute dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I remember it comes up in canon a number of times, most obviously with the fairy circle stuff but I vaguely remember a few other points where it's pointed out that the only thing stopping Senshi from being crazy hot is that he's a dungeon hobo.