Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Hike-ride-hike-riding two bikes through fist-sized gravel, fire road or not, sounds loving miserable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skip the Guzzi and just get this, problem solved:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Russian Bear posted:

This is objectively the right answer.

I own a KTM. Is the kickstand a service item? Or no because it’s a small KTM? Is KTM ownership a spectrum as well? These are the important questions I need answers to before the dark winter ends and I ride again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This is objectively the right answer.

I own a KTM. Is the kickstand a service item? Or no because it’s a small KTM? Is KTM ownership a spectrum as well? These are the important questions I need answers to before the dark winter ends and I ride again.

Objectively, maybe, but if I were looking at things objectively, I wouldn't be looking at a Guzzi, would I!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Russian Bear posted:

I always forget about the TU250x! So does the rest of the world, because they are cheap. Suzuki Supremacy yet again. I wish they made one with a DR650 motor.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just looking at it you could probably swap one fairly easily

Speaking of, a DR800 swapped VanVan 125 showed up on Facebook the other day. This thing has to be an absolute monster of a ride. It weighs like 200lbs and makes *checks notes* fifty entire whole rear end horsepower and god knows how much torque.

The engine does look hilariously out of place in that frame though. Also that brake does not look up to the task of stopping 3x the OEM horsepower.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Speaking of, a DR800 swapped VanVan 125 showed up on Facebook the other day. This thing has to be an absolute monster of a ride. It weighs like 200lbs and makes *checks notes* fifty entire whole rear end horsepower and god knows how much torque.

The engine does look hilariously out of place in that frame though. Also that brake does not look up to the task of stopping 3x the OEM horsepower.

That thing is loving rad, and the engine actually looks like a pretty good fit!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the CAest bike I’ve seen in months.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

That thing is loving rad, and the engine actually looks like a pretty good fit!

If nobody told me, I'd think it was a factory stock motorcycle

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Incredible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess I’ve spent so much of my life looking at VanVans that it looks weird to me

I can accept that if a quarter of your life wasn’t spent doing that then it probably looks pretty normal to you lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I always forget about the TU250x! So does the rest of the world, because they are cheap. Suzuki Supremacy yet again. I wish they made one with a DR650 motor.

:suzuki:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sadly, according to the internet it's like 280 lbs wet (+/- whatever the difference in engine weight is). I bet it's still a ton of fun and god bless them for making it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nitrox posted:

If nobody told me, I'd think it was a factory stock motorcycle

its certainly a suzuki

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

The TU250x is literally the bike Fortnine says "they really need to make now" in this video. They just need to sell it for 2-3k new, instead of 5k new. It's a "classic" styled bike that all the hipsters should be buying instead of nightmare bikes from the 70s. I can dig the look, too, and feel it covers the starter bike needs of most riders, and would make a good general purpose bike.

But not for 5k msrp lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbkAhCNvik

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I really wanted one before I started riding, and so when they had one at my MSF course I made a beeline for it; it was the only fi bike in the lot.

I was not a fan, as the throttle was really twitchy and choppy. Nowadays I would have gone for one of the t-dubs, naturally.

Riding it nowadays, as an extremely experienced expert it may be different, but as a 0-hours-of-experience newb it was a bit whiplashy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Honda should unironically bring back the Nighthawk lineup, including the 250. I couldn't get a t-dub when I took my MSF class, so I beelined for the Nighthawk and it was possibly the best motorcycle decision I've ever made

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Coydog posted:

The TU250x is literally the bike Fortnine says "they really need to make now" in this video. They just need to sell it for 2-3k new, instead of 5k new. It's a "classic" styled bike that all the hipsters should be buying instead of nightmare bikes from the 70s. I can dig the look, too, and feel it covers the starter bike needs of most riders, and would make a good general purpose bike.

But not for 5k msrp lmao

If they could sell it for like 3500 even to undercut the Duke 200, it would great. But there's way too much really good competition at 5k.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

But not for 5k msrp lmao

I'd say "why can't they make 'em like they used to, but with modern manufacturing techniques?" but...

Actually there is no but, that bike exists in the W800. So I guess the real question is why don't they do that more often, and in smaller packages? Though I will note that the new Ws didn't seem to be in particularly high demand until Kawasaki threatened to stop making them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jazzzzz posted:

Honda should unironically bring back the Nighthawk lineup, including the 250. I couldn't get a t-dub when I took my MSF class, so I beelined for the Nighthawk and it was possibly the best motorcycle decision I've ever made

It's funny because on the second day, the guy said "well you can try a different bike if you want," so I grabbed the nighthawk and it was much easier to ride.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coydog posted:

But what happens if it falls over even once?!
Having crashed a Guzzi of very similar design once myself, I can tell you that surprisingly little happens. I had tiny minimal aluminum crash guards on the valve cover on mine to be fair, and it got crushed, and the cylinder was fine. Cylinders are generally beefy as gently caress and you gotta crash hard to really damage them. It'll just get scratched.

Also I would like to say as a bike mechanic and a Something Awful Poster, I think Slavvy is a jewel and I hope that we will all practice moderation in disagreeing with him so that he does not stop posting. Although I often want to disagree with him, I can hardly ever say he's actually wrong. He's a bit like this guy, and often whether we like it or not, we need to hear this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUGpe9uhOCo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow where were you when all of us non guzzi havers were arguing about what happens when they dump?

Of course slavvy is a jewel. We don't want him to go away. He's always been one of my absolute faves on this entire godforsaken forum. Just sometimes he gets all up in his head about some misunderstanding only he sees and he just... goes to town.

Real friends know the limitations of australians blocked from their motherland. Real friends remind them of a home filled with things that want to hurt you.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 2, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I was looking through facebook listings of old Hondas when I came across this thing, one of the weirder headlight fairings I've seen on two wheels:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Agreed, Slavvy is great.

And I enjoy disagreeing with him when he is wrong (which isn't often).

Once COVID is over, it'd be nice if we could have a goonmeet in Australia, ride some bikes, meet Slavvy. Some nice road trips to be had there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

goonmeet in Australia, ride some bikes, meet Slavvy.

Intentional or not this is the hardest troll in this the thread lmao

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Intentional or not this is the hardest troll in this the thread lmao

I have tried to bait him before with subtle Australia references but he is above such tomfoolery.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Do 2014, angle-grinder sparks video, slim-guy-beard-not-tactical-beard, selvedge jeans in the freezer, pour over coffee chemist, CB-ruining hipsters even exist anymore?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
gently caress you slavvy i am not spending twenty two hours on an airplane

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

We can meet in the middle, Tahiti.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I apologize once again for posting social media bullshit content here, but uh - fast forward to around 18 seconds in this video (keep mute on) and tell me how I should feel about this thing, because I can't make up my mind between intrigued and horrified. It's a Jetski body on a Honda Elite motor and frame.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1366864943425929222

Materials for further study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_ykBK9NTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGvAgkR-t8

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Your bike looks like a two-wheeled jetski

Cargo shorts and crocs: checks out

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
it's dumb as hell and I love it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Didn't that guy (or another guy) have a thread here years ago making a scooterski like that? It's rad, but aren't maxi scooters the factory version of this? That's their whole appeal.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
can it amphicar

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Pretty sure that thing was built in AI

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've seen a few of these and they're awesome. Hulls are dirt cheap (sometimes free).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Greg12 posted:

Do 2014, angle-grinder sparks video, slim-guy-beard-not-tactical-beard, selvedge jeans in the freezer, pour over coffee chemist, CB-ruining hipsters even exist anymore?

I am uhhhhh 5/7 of those

(you have to wash your jeans and i don't drink coffee)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Things actual good bike mechanics always have:

beard/moustache
filthy trousers

If he doesn't have both of these he is a charlatan and a fraud. I have never seen this rule violated.

Beard + suspiciously clean clothing? Hipster, run away.
Clean shaven but dirty clothing? Hobbyist and/or IT guy who 'wants to get his hands dirty', double check everything he's done.
Clean shaven, clean clothing? Completely unacceptable, may or may not be a meth addict gang member.*

*: except for women, they're able to run this setup seemingly without issue. Data: I've met one female mechanic, she was quite good despite having no beard and clean pants, it was initially very confusing until I realised what was going on. YMMV.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m a beardy hipster and I dress clean for my job on office days and wear filthy trousers other days and when I’m in the garage doing moto things.
Are you allowed to wear clean trousers sometimes and still be legit, or do you have to look like a what is it you call them, tradies? 24/7?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dunno never done it.

Tradies are a different thing entirely, identified by their constant inebriation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Clean shaven but dirty clothing? Hobbyist and/or IT guy who 'wants to get his hands dirty', double check everything he's done.

Can confirm.