Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a poo poo show

No, it's a series of bureaucratic errors, a poo poo show is what's happening in the rest of the Western world. I really don't care how slow or red-tape-embroiled our vaccine rollout is when there's no COVID here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I have to agree. It sounds like AUS has pretty solid oversight and are actually finding and taking action on errors in handling and storage. I can easily imagine these incidents just being totally ignored in other countries and only later finding out that millions of people were given expired or spoiled vaccines but we don't know exactly it's probably fine.

People are screwing up in the first week and they're being publicly held to account, which will make everyone else pay closer attention. It's the opposite of a shitshow.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright vaccination attempt 2 today
if they scan my qr code and say ive already been ill just have to try and explain that yesterday i was apparently a day early
hopefully it works because man oh man i want me that bill gates chip

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Lolie posted:

Not to mention that the October deadline was based on the AZ vaccine doses being administered 2 weeks apart. The TGA approval is for them to be given at least 4 weeks, and up to 12 weeks, apart - which is the dosing interval supported by the evidence to date.

I'm in phase 1b but I would be happy to have my second dose delayed if it means others can get their first dose earlier.

I explained somewhere earlier in this thread that the 12 week split won't really make any difference in a vaccine rollout timeline. Consider 6 groups that each take two weeks to get a single jab: instead of going A/A/B/B/C/C/D/D/E/E/F/F (each letter representing a 2 week period), you just go A/B/C/D/E/F/A/B/C/D/E/F and still vaccinate the same number of people over a 24 week period.
It only delays anyone in the last 10 weeks of the vaccination roll-out.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 26, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Those of you outside the US who have gotten vax, how are they giving you records of it? Documentation, online proof etc

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Those of you outside the US who have gotten vax, how are they giving you records of it? Documentation, online proof etc

I’ll let you know in 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

about to go for attempt 2 of my vaccine
stayed up all night working on an exam and also havent eaten so lets hope i dont pass the gently caress out on the way there lmao

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

currently waiting in the hospital for my appointment

my face feels incredibly hot because of my mask auuuugh

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
As a full time WFH computer pusher, I'm not likely to get vaccinated until the summer. That's totally fine; I'm completely ok with others getting it before me.

But it's going to be a challenging year for me supporting our local businesses.

We have a local bakery that tried to stick it out through May, but unlike every other restaurant in the area, didn't immediately get an online ordering system and stayed shuttered through October. It was mystifying to me (although the "We support our local police" sign they planted since fall made me suspicious).

The bakery isn't on my way to my kids current daycare so I don't drop by there on the once-weekly basis that I used to. However, since reopening they have changed their hours to be closed both weekend days. Since covid, most restaurants around here are closed on Sundays (and I can buy low demand as the reason) but Saturday? That's kind of unbelievable to me given a different bakery 10 miles away has a long line of social distanced customers for their amazing donuts the few Saturday mornings I've been there.

Last night I felt in the mood for something special this morning, checked out the local bakery's FB page and saw they were having sticky buns! AWESOME!

I stop by this morning, paying careful attention to the door to make sure they haven't transitioned to order-only (they have not) and that they indeed had the state mandated "you need masks to come in here" sign.

Upon walking in, my observation was that the their normal selection of cookies and pastries on their tables was maybe 1/3 of what they normally had pre-covid. It was shocking and I thought "wow, business must be doing poorly".

Next, I noticed the owner near the register with her masked pulled down talking to an employee. As I approached the counter, she walked away, and I was greeted by a familiar older woman, possibly in her 70s, without any mask whatsoever. Despite the plexiglass separating us, I was taken aback.

Mentioning the Facebook post about sticky buns, I asked for four and was told, "Ah, we're only doing those as orders and any that are left over will be out later" (The FB post made no mention of "order only"). I politely said, "Ok, I'll be back later" and made mental note to not stop here again until well after I've been vaccinated.

As I drove away, it occurred me that given their apparent ages, both the owner and employee must have been vaccinated to not be wearing masks. And doing the Boomer-American thing of "going back to normal without a mask".

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The owner and employee most likely haven't been vaccinated at this point, they're just anti-maskers.

I stopped supporting a few local businesses for that exact reason. My wife and I got takeout from a restaurant we love back in April. The place was packed with people, servers were the only ones with masks. I feel bad for everybody working there, but I can't support ownership that lets that go on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I took a step back, politely, from some lady who ran up to a girl scout cookie booth with no mask on (imagine running up to little kids with no mask on) and she sneered at me "yeah, I know, I'm typhoid mary, whatever".

The mom of the kids then pulled her mask down to be able to be heard more clearly.

This is absolutely normal around here.

I am so glad to hear a story of someone who is shocked by this behavior to remind it is not okay or normal and I'm not the only person who thinks that.

E: A Fancy Hat: that's literally every restaurant here. Every single one of them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I took a step back, politely, from some lady who ran up to a girl scout cookie booth with no mask on (imagine running up to little kids with no mask on) and she sneered at me "yeah, I know, I'm typhoid mary, whatever".

The mom of the kids then pulled her mask down to be able to be heard more clearly.

This is absolutely normal around here.

I am so glad to hear a story of someone who is shocked by this behavior to remind it is not okay or normal and I'm not the only person who thinks that.

E: A Fancy Hat: that's literally every restaurant here. Every single one of them.

Woof on those restaurants. There have been a few like that here (Western PA) but *generally* places are doing what they need to.

Also that woman running up to the girl scouts reminds me of Halloween this past year. My wife and I decorated the front yard and set up a table with individual bags for any kids who did come by. One woman comes by unmasked with her kids and starts screaming at us for wearing masks ("you're scaring the kids!"). Yeah lady, these kids are terrified.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My local bagel place that I go to for breakfast sammies had a panera bread built literally across the road from it a couple years ago so I like to support them, they're great with masks and only allow 2 people inside to order then you have to wait outside until the order's done which is nice. But I talked to the owner about their business maybe getting back to normal the other day and he said he's losing a ton of money because they used to make a chunk of their income on catering jobs for local offices. I hadn't even considered that aspect of it, I can't imagine having to somehow carry a small business through this. There's been so many places around me that closed up in the last year and it just loving sucks to see them all while driving around now.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Yeah, and a poo poo ton of legit, good small businesses that could've really used the ppp loan didn't get it while bigger places did. I'd have much rather have seen that money go to the family of 8 who owns a tiny taqueria down the road rather than that one rear end in a top hat who owns 4 car dealerships.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got jab 1

"you'll barely feel it" my rear end that poo poo felt like someone fired a howitzer point blank at my arm

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hbag posted:

got jab 1

"you'll barely feel it" my rear end that poo poo felt like someone fired a howitzer point blank at my arm

Despite the name, microchips are actually pretty big

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Also I don’t know if they do things different where you are but

It’s not supposed to go in your rear end

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
36 hours after dose 2, the fever and headache are gone but holy gently caress my left arm is insanely itchy today. I must be allergic to something in the shot (polyethylene glycol probably?).

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

36 hours after dose 2, the fever and headache are gone but holy gently caress my left arm is insanely itchy today. I must be allergic to something in the shot (polyethylene glycol probably?).

May 19, 1998

Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy itchy Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty.

Itchy.
Tasty.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife (county public-facing worker) becomes eligible for a covid vaccine in santa clara county, next week. She says she can't find appointments: only the county large vaccination sites are giving the vaccines to under 65's, lots of other places are still offering vaccines to 65+ only. Is there some way to figure out when these sites add vaccination availability slots? I should maybe write a script or something to check but I'm sure someone has already done something similar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

redreader posted:

My wife (county public-facing worker) becomes eligible for a covid vaccine in santa clara county, next week. She says she can't find appointments: only the county large vaccination sites are giving the vaccines to under 65's, lots of other places are still offering vaccines to 65+ only. Is there some way to figure out when these sites add vaccination availability slots? I should maybe write a script or something to check but I'm sure someone has already done something similar.

In NY the only thing that worked was refreshing at weird hours. Their system sucked to use on a phone, too, you couldn’t see what appointments were available at a given site without having to re-enter all your info again to see other sites available appointments.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's absurd that people in some states are trying to get on a vaccine list the same way someone would try to buy a PS5.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

Someone pages back posted the plug in you want to use and how to use it specifically for this.

So yes it’s possible and people are doing it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Next week my city is allowing restaurants to open back up for limited patio dining. And we will be able to leave the city limits on weekends.

I don't think it will make a huge difference but I will selfishly miss the quiet sidewalks.

Also no vaccines in sight around here. I think they are still working through the 85+ and health workers. I've stopped paying attention.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

wa27 posted:

It's absurd that people in some states are trying to get on a vaccine list the same way someone would try to buy a PS5.

I'm in PA and have seemed to sidestep my county's waiting list by finding an urgent care place with openings.

It's absurd.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Got dose 2 of Moderna an hour and a half ago - I'm bracing myself to feel like absolute poo poo tomorrow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Got dose 2 of Moderna an hour and a half ago - I'm bracing myself to feel like absolute poo poo tomorrow.

Might even be tonight, dose 1 of Pfizer gave me diarrhea and fatigue within two or three hours.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was about 8 hours for me, so you might feel like garbage just in time for bed.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Might even be tonight, dose 1 of Pfizer gave me diarrhea and fatigue within two or three hours.

My wife has gotten both doses of Pfizer. First dose she said her arm hurt but otherwise no other symptoms.

Second dose though, her arm hurt a lot and for the next 18 hours she felt like poo poo. But after that she was fine.

My dad was in the initial Pfizer study back in September. Around December Pfizer allowed the study to tell people involved who got the vaccine and who got the placebo, my dad was one of the lucky ones, so he's had it since early September with no problems at all.

I'm on a few lists but haven't gotten selected yet. Can't wait.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Combo posted:

My wife has gotten both doses of Pfizer. First dose she said her arm hurt but otherwise no other symptoms.

Second dose though, her arm hurt a lot and for the next 18 hours she felt like poo poo. But after that she was fine.

My dad was in the initial Pfizer study back in September. Around December Pfizer allowed the study to tell people involved who got the vaccine and who got the placebo, my dad was one of the lucky ones, so he's had it since early September with no problems at all.

I'm on a few lists but haven't gotten selected yet. Can't wait.

The diarrhea happens in like 10 percent of cases vaccinations. I wasn’t expecting that at all since I had only heard about the malaise/fatigue which, definitely had that too for about 36 hours. I have a feeling my second shot is gonna suck but there’s no way it’s going to be as bad as when I had the real thing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

The diarrhea happens in like 10 percent of cases vaccinations. I wasn’t expecting that at all since I had only heard about the malaise/fatigue which, definitely had that too for about 36 hours. I have a feeling my second shot is gonna suck but there’s no way it’s going to be as bad as when I had the real thing.

Do they recommend the normal 2 course vaccine schedule if you already had Covid? I thought I heard somewhere you might just get one shot as a booster, and that first shot typically feels like the second shot other people get with worse side effects and such since your immune system is somewhat already primed.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 27, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Had Pfizer about 36 hours ago. Nothing so far. Weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pain of Mind posted:

Do they recommend the normal 2 course vaccine schedule if you already had Covid? I thought I heard someone you might just get one shot as a booster, and that first shot typically feels like the second shot other people get with worse side effects and such since your immune system is somewhat already primed.

NY is just having me get stuck twice. They tell you not to get it if you’ve tested positive in the last 90 days so it looks like it’s both shots just to be safe as a matter of course.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pain of Mind posted:

Do they recommend the normal 2 course vaccine schedule if you already had Covid? I thought I heard somewhere you might just get one shot as a booster, and that first shot typically feels like the second shot other people get with worse side effects and such since your immune system is somewhat already primed.

Did some more reading and it looks like they may do that in the future but if you’ve already had it and get both shots, hooo boy your immune system is not gonna gently caress around. Both in terms of side effects and immunity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/02/23/is-one-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-enough-after-covid-19-infection/amp/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

It was about 8 hours for me, so you might feel like garbage just in time for bed.

Look, don't get your hopes up - I can still post even if I feel like poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Look, don't get your hopes up - I can still post even if I feel like poo poo.

If you do feel like garbage in time for bed, that would be a good thing. Man, I slept like a fuckin’ log Wednesday night. With those weird trippy sick dreams. A++ (will) do again.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Are there any countries that one can fly to if they want to receive the vaccine legally and without skipping any lines? I'm assuming not because the vaccines are meant for residents and otherwise there would be a large wave of people flying in but just curious.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

redreader posted:

I used VisualPing.com for my parents, took a bit to configure and worked great

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Busy Bee posted:

Are there any countries that one can fly to if they want to receive the vaccine legally and without skipping any lines? I'm assuming not because the vaccines are meant for residents and otherwise there would be a large wave of people flying in but just curious.

No? The US is the country with the most vaccines, by far

Apparently US has vaccinated more Mexicans than Mexico itself

https://timetoherd.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Busy Bee posted:

Australia is making the vaccine available to everyone here, including those whose status isn't currently legal. That said, we have many residents still stranded oversees who have no idea when they'll be able to return, so obtaining permission to enter the country is a problem (unless you're Matt Damon and fly in by private jet).