Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Busy Bee posted:

Are there any countries that one can fly to if they want to receive the vaccine legally and without skipping any lines? I'm assuming not because the vaccines are meant for residents and otherwise there would be a large wave of people flying in but just curious.

Russia will give the vaccine to anyone who walks into the centre and they'll give you an ice cream too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy1psrA4I6Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1365376244469088264

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7009e2.htm

Things the CDC doesn't mention: Gyms should shut the gently caress down. Christ what is wrong with these people. Weld their doors shut.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Lolie posted:

Australia is making the vaccine available to everyone here, including those whose status isn't currently legal. That said, we have many residents still stranded oversees who have no idea when they'll be able to return, so obtaining permission to enter the country is a problem (unless you're Matt Damon and fly in by private jet).

Wait can foreigners enter Australia if they get there privately?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SchnorkIes posted:

Wait can foreigners enter Australia if they get there privately?

The exceptions are people entering for 'essential' work, so film/tv stars and all attendant crew can enter. Sports teams/players and support staff etc can come in too. I'm sure the mega rich can buy their way in as well.
Everybody has to quarantine though, no exceptions on that.
I'm not sure just hiring a private jet will get you an entry visa though, you still need a valid reason to be allowed in.

The govts list of exemptions
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 27, 2021

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

wa27 posted:

It's absurd that people in some states are trying to get on a vaccine list the same way someone would try to buy a PS5.

Having bought a 5900x in January before I qualified for the vaccine, this is exactly how it felt to get an appointment - except I also needed to score another four for less online family members who honestly needed the vaccine more than I did.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

7of7 posted:

Things the CDC doesn't mention: Gyms should shut the gently caress down. Christ what is wrong with these people. Weld their doors shut.

My dad's doctor, in Florida, said the benefits of working out outweighed the risk of getting covid. :psyduck:

Thank GOD he's vaccinated now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

7of7 posted:

Our leasing office just put out an email today announcing the reopening of the fitness center in the clubhouse :v:

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

My dad's doctor, in Florida, said the benefits of working out outweighed the risk of getting covid. :psyduck:

Thank GOD he's vaccinated now.

Yeah right even if that's true what happens when you can't work out at all because you have long covid and can't walk up a flight of stairs without becoming winded?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

7of7 posted:

Yeah right even if that's true what happens when you can't work out at all because you have long covid and can't walk up a flight of stairs without becoming winded?

Your workout just got even more intense. Summer abs this year.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

by that doctor's same logic its probably also a good idea to inject lactic acid directly into my muscles

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

7of7 posted:

Lots of gyms in LA are open and stayed open even during the recent surge.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

More COVID-19 restrictions have been eased overnight as NSW recorded 39 days without any local cases yesterday.

Fifty visitors are now be allowed in the home, and 30 people permitted to dance at weddings, with different guests allowed to swap on and off the dance floor.

Gym classes can have 50 people, subject to the four square metre rule.

Up to 30 people can sing indoors, as long as choirs physically distance.

In places of worship, people can sing as long as they wear masks and the four-square-metre rule is applied.

And cinemas can now have 100 per cent capacity.

The NSW Government has vowed if the current trend continues, drinking while standing at indoor venues will be allowed from St Patricks Day next month.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-26/sydney-news-more-covid-19-restrictions-ease-weddings-visitors/13194370

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Busy Bee posted:

Are there any countries that one can fly to if they want to receive the vaccine legally and without skipping any lines? I'm assuming not because the vaccines are meant for residents and otherwise there would be a large wave of people flying in but just curious.

Yeah

America

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Meanwhile Auckland is going into a snap seven-day lockdown.

I'm very curious as to how Australia and New Zealand keep seeing COVID leak into the community out of mandatory hotel quarantine, whereas Taiwan doesn't seem to have similar reoccuring problems even though, IIRC, they just let returnees quarantine at home - they monitor their movements by mobile phone data, but that obviously doesn't prevent people from having visitors.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
My guess is people are catching it via airborne spread in the quarantine hotels, those places sound like deathtraps, a random US hotel doesn't see so many outbreaks

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

SchnorkIes posted:

My guess is people are catching it via airborne spread in the quarantine hotels, those places sound like deathtraps, a random US hotel doesn't see so many outbreaks

To be fair, they’re actually testing the people that are in the quarantine hotels.

No tests, no cases.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

7of7 posted:

I brought up how gyms should be breeding grounds of covid months ago and a bunch of people in here showed "proof" that said they were surprisingly not as unsafe as I absolutely assumed they would be. I don't remember though.

I'd assume this is just common sense. Maybe I'm wrong though. We'll see in a few months where breathing heavily and sweating in a small area is, in fact, not a vector for transmission.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I brought up how gyms should be breeding grounds of covid months ago and a bunch of people in here showed "proof" that said they were surprisingly not as unsafe as I absolutely assumed they would be. I don't remember though.

I'd assume this is just common sense. Maybe I'm wrong though. We'll see in a few months where breathing heavily and sweating in a small area is, in fact, not a vector for transmission.

My idiot ex-girlfriend of 2.5 years dumped me back in August because I refused to go out and do stupid poo poo like go out drinking with her club friends. It was going to be fine, you see, because she knows them, and that keeps the virus away. Gorgeous, but in the end just another dumb narcissist in the Cult of the Self who works for What I Want Inc.

Anyway, after I left she was able to "start living again" which included going to the gym. She hadn't been doing this because of my "paranoia."

She got COVID a month ago and it's looking like she has long-term heart and lung damage as a result.

fake edit during the post: I just saw that yesterday right after work ended my district sent out an email with the following "survey" that consists of one question: "Would you take the Johnson & Johnson one-dose vaccine if it was offered?" I did some quick Googling and this one looks like it's less efficacious but MUCH better than nothing, and since I am currently spending 5 days a week in a 30'x26' room with 30 kids at a time should I say yes?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fellas
i gotta say
right now that vaccine does not feel worth it

had a fever all night, which of course meant cool and wacky fever dreams (the kind where i was seeing the visualization of my mind's very specific logic patterns or some poo poo, hurts to think about), woke up twice in a cold sweat, massive headache, threw up, etc

currently taking anti-nausea meds, ibuprofen and munching on some polos

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

hbag posted:

fellas
i gotta say

had a fever all night, which of course meant cool and wacky fever dreams (the kind where i was seeing the visualization of my mind's very specific logic patterns or some poo poo, hurts to think about), woke up twice in a cold sweat, massive headache, threw up, etc

It's absolutely worth it. You'll feel much better tomorrow.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Apparently the gym industry was pushing a study a while back claiming gyms were safe. As the article says though it was BS.

Of course breathing heavily and shouting in a tiny poorly ventilated area is going to spread covid. Some gym owners need to be up against the wall with the talking heads, politicians, and restaurant owners who have been trying to downplay the pandemic and led to the deaths of more than half a million people in the US.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hbag posted:

fellas
i gotta say

you're a really good person and you're gonna be okay. sleep as much as you can.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SchnorkIes posted:

Everyone has it before they get to the hotel.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

While I don't doubt there's a lot of....uh, selective choosing of data points from gym owners, I can see gyms not being as bad as you'd immediately expect.

Yeah, people are breathing heavy and touching things while sweaty, but on the flip side you generally don't stand close to anyone anyway because getting smacked in the face with a big rear end weight is generally best avoided, touching things isn't really a massive transmission vector like it is for influenza, and most gyms have some pretty intense ventilation systems in place to prevent all sorts of other bugs doing the rounds already in place.

Also, people who go to the gym are less likely to be obese, so less likely to suffer symptoms, so less likely to go and get a positive test, so therefore gyms are less likely to show up test and trace data. I suspect that's also a big part of it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

wa27 posted:

It's absurd that people in some states are trying to get on a vaccine list the same way someone would try to buy a PS5.

I feel kinda vindicated by it in Texas, where so much death has been caused by boomers pretending there’s no virus. I give zero shits about using my millenial toolbelt to create systems to get myself the vaccine before them. I will sync my Gmail to a Hue light that turns green when appointments are available. 60+ year old virus denying trumpists can eat my entire inoculated rear end.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

smoobles posted:

I feel kinda vindicated by it in Texas, where so much death has been caused by boomers pretending there’s no virus. I give zero shits about using my millenial toolbelt to create systems to get myself the vaccine before them. I will sync my Gmail to a Hue light that turns green when appointments are available. 60+ year old virus denying trumpists can eat my entire inoculated rear end.

This is absolutely how I feel about it. It is almost entirely white, 50+ year olds going to restaurants and the salon and walmart maskless and laughing in my face for getting take-out.

If those fuckers want death so bad and will let the vaccine rot on the shelves, shoot me up.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Everyone in America is fat because stress eating and capitalism.

*eyes slide down to the 'Cholesterol Clubhouse' subforum*

:thunk:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The vaccine rollout in my state is a society-wide Prisoner's Dilemma, except with 100% certainty that the other prisoner is gonna betray you.

I love seeing 30 year olds successfully navigate the system and get their vaccines. It's a tragic system that is leaving the elderly behind, but it's the system my leaders chose.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Pastamania posted:

While I don't doubt there's a lot of....uh, selective choosing of data points from gym owners, I can see gyms not being as bad as you'd immediately expect.

Yeah, people are breathing heavy and touching things while sweaty, but on the flip side you generally don't stand close to anyone anyway because getting smacked in the face with a big rear end weight is generally best avoided, touching things isn't really a massive transmission vector like it is for influenza, and most gyms have some pretty intense ventilation systems in place to prevent all sorts of other bugs doing the rounds already in place.

Also, people who go to the gym are less likely to be obese, so less likely to suffer symptoms, so less likely to go and get a positive test, so therefore gyms are less likely to show up test and trace data. I suspect that's also a big part of it.
There's a quote from the CDC report(PDF) relevant to your first point:

quote:

Athough the facility’s ventilation system was not assessed, inadequate air circulation might have exacerbated transmission in the building, which was not originally designed for exercise classes (9).
The gym I went to before the pandemic was very clearly a renovated office space with no special ventilation system.

Also regarding the symptoms:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hbag posted:

fellas
i gotta say

Did you have the virus? That sounds like my experience with shot number one. I finally stopped having symptoms at like 5am today. I got it 245 pm Wednesday. I didn’t all the way throw up but I spent between midnight and three am with a clear route to the bathrooms at work.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hbag posted:

fellas
i gotta say

You can trust me, it’s 100% worth it. Five people in my life have gone thru severe COVID, 4 of them said it’s the sickest they’ve ever been. 2 of them are struggling to walk half a mile, months later. One of them died.

You got this bro, the side effects will pass!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smoobles posted:

The vaccine rollout in my state is a society-wide Prisoner's Dilemma, except with 100% certainty that the other prisoner is gonna betray you.

I love seeing 30 year olds successfully navigate the system and get their vaccines. It's a tragic system that is leaving the elderly behind, but it's the system my leaders chose.

Outside of an extremely privileged few most 30 year olds with jobs have to go out and work so we’re probably better off letting spreaders get the vaccine

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The worst part about seeing similar narcissist entitlement from under 50 friend-of-friends in the Virgin Islands not just posting photos but also politicizing it with "everything is a risk, this country just isn't the same anymore" is the feelings it brings up in me. This is an anti-vaxxer family that didn't wear masks at the outdoor graduation party we had last summer and went to Arizona for Thanksgiving.

The lovely feelings I have? Hoping that someone in their family gets it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Wait, what is the system that allows me to get a vaccine before it goes to waste?

I contacted a local distribution site about it and they said they didn’t even have vaccines for another week.

What notifications should I sign up for?

I’m in the US and the thought of the vaccines going to waste is unpleasant.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m in the US and the thought of the vaccines going to waste is unpleasant.
Same!

While I'm prepared and completely fine to not receive it until summer, I live less than 5 minutes away from the local pharmacy, have a flexible work schedule, and my wife is currently out of work. If there was a way to get on a list, I'd even put up with a month of "Come down now!!" ... "Oh sorry now we're out" just to not waste the stuff.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

hbag posted:

fellas
i gotta say

If this isn't sarcasm, you're a loving idiot.

The vaccine is worth it even if you have a day or 2 (even a week) of discomfort. The other very real possibility is getting covid and DYING or long term health issues.

smarten up gently caress nut.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

JonathonSpectre posted:

My idiot ex-girlfriend of 2.5 years dumped me back in August because I refused to go out and do stupid poo poo like go out drinking with her club friends. It was going to be fine, you see, because she knows them, and that keeps the virus away. Gorgeous, but in the end just another dumb narcissist in the Cult of the Self who works for What I Want Inc.

Anyway, after I left she was able to "start living again" which included going to the gym. She hadn't been doing this because of my "paranoia."

She got COVID a month ago and it's looking like she has long-term heart and lung damage as a result.

The worst thing about these cases is that while it might give you a microsecond of schadenfreude, there’s no winners. She might change her mind or not about Covid, but so what, it doesn’t matter anymore, damage done.

How many people did she infect, indirectly killed, and even if she “repents” and goes all Norton Antivirus now, there’s nothing to be done about the long term damage.

But who has given a gently caress about the idiots who died saying it was a hoax, just a flu, it would be gone by summer, etc etc? They died and their own families continue “living their best life”.

I thank those who still take precautions not to infect anyone. They’re the reason society continues, not the idiots pretending this doesn’t exist.

In a way I suppose you won a little, by realizing you were dating an idiot who would prefer you dead instead of making some sacrifices. Good to know, before you get old.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

smoobles posted:

60+ year old virus denying trumpists can eat my entire inoculated rear end.

Thread title

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

smoobles posted:

Yeah this. The best way to get a vaccine is to use a Greasemonkey script to refresh the signup page 30 times a minute... but that's exactly what causes websites to buckle and crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Some Guy From NY posted:

If this isn't sarcasm, you're a loving idiot.

The vaccine is worth it even if you have a day or 2 (even a week) of discomfort. The other very real possibility is getting covid and DYING or long term health issues.

smarten up gently caress nut.

The poster already took one of the most effective steps to stop themselves from getting sick and stopping themselves from getting others from getting sick. Why are you going off at them because they’re complaining when they feel like boiled dogshit? Jesus Christ, dude.