Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Oh the suspension is shot. One of my rear shocks is bent in from something. I was in the process of replacing my stabilization bar bushings when I realized all the bushings were shot. I was wanting to drop $2000 to go ahead and replace all the bushings, shocks, and brakes along with calipers. But this land thing distracted me. If I had gotten the geo tracker I could have switched out the suspension at my leisure and drove the tracker to work.

Ive been debating having a professional do it to save time, but I have a mechanic friend who is the driller who is encouraging me to do it myself and that he will help if need be. I've had a car fall on me before while I was working on it, so I'm slightly worried about the GroverTruk falling on me. If I can find a shop that will let me buy the parts and I just pay the labor that would be great.

Perhaps a meme will get through to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rytheric posted:

Oh the suspension is shot. One of my rear shocks is bent in from something. I was in the process of replacing my stabilization bar bushings when I realized all the bushings were shot. I was wanting to drop $2000 to go ahead and replace all the bushings, shocks, and brakes along with calipers. But this land thing distracted me. If I had gotten the geo tracker I could have switched out the suspension at my leisure and drove the tracker to work.

Ive been debating having a professional do it to save time, but I have a mechanic friend who is the driller who is encouraging me to do it myself and that he will help if need be. I've had a car fall on me before while I was working on it, so I'm slightly worried about the GroverTruk falling on me. If I can find a shop that will let me buy the parts and I just pay the labor that would be great.

Elmnt80 posted:

Please do not do the work on this thing yourself. There is not enough time and crayons in this existence to explain all the loving ways you'll do it wrong while endangering yourself and others.

Seriously
I think your buddy is trying to help because wrenching yourself is cheaper* and will help you understand the truck better, but if it's in the condition you say, take it to a professional

*cheaper if you know what you're doing and your time is worthless

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Door Frame posted:

*cheaper if ... your time is worthless

you know he plays eve online right

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

The Door Frame posted:

Seriously
I think your buddy is trying to help because wrenching yourself is cheaper* and will help you understand the truck better, but if it's in the condition you say, take it to a professional

*cheaper if you know what you're doing and your time is worthless

Yeah. I was originally just going to have it all professionally done because my mindset at the time was that yeah I could tinker with it and make repairs to maintain it, but I want to make sure that it's all correct to begin with.

His mentality was that there is nothing that needs done can't be done yourself and you'll get to know your vehicle better. Which is true. I know a lot more about the vehicle know. I have mapped out where everything is the lbs to torque it to and such. I do get the Hanes and Chiltons manuals for every vehicle I own. I've replaced sensors, redone the vacuum lines and the like. But I'd have to essentially put the vehical up on cinderblocks and rip the front axles out to get things done easily. Then I'd have to limp it to a shop to tighten the radius arm bolts because they need torqued to 300lbs. My friend use to work on hummers and such in the army then got his associates.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Hanes and Chiltons manual for it.

redone the vacuum lines

*shudders*

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

His mentality was that there is nothing that needs done can't be done yourself and you'll get to know your vehicle better. Which is true. I know a lot more about the vehicle know. I have mapped out where everything is the lbs to torque it to and such. I do get the Hanes and Chiltons manuals for every vehicle I own. I've replaced sensors, redone the vacuum lines and the like.

Oh, nice. Sounds like this is one project Ry is doing well so far and....

Rytheric posted:

But I'd have to essentially put the vehical up on cinderblocks and rip the front axles out to get things done easily. Then I'd have to limp it to a shop to tighten the radius arm bolts because they need torqued to 300lbs. My friend use to work on hummers and such in the army then got his associates.

You're going to do loving what with cinder blocks?

Seriously.....you don't know enough about anything to work on things that have the potential to put others in harms way. You either didn't understand what your friend told you or your friend is an idiot former PFC who worked in the motor pool doing oil changes wrong.

300 ft lbs is like.....not any sort of big deal on a vehicle. With hand tools.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Seriously. You can get that much torque just by pushing down on your morning piss-hard.
Careful to not blow your legs out from under you.

E Pictoral references for help.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Motronic posted:

Seriously.....you don't know enough about anything to work on things that have the potential to put others in harms way. You either didn't understand what your friend told you or your friend is an idiot former PFC who worked in the motor pool doing oil changes wrong.

He probably doesn't own a torque wrench. We do because we're perverts.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

Most readily available torque wrenches don't go up that high. My friend has a 1 inch drive one, but even then I'd prefer either my friend tighten that bold or me take it to a mechanic. Every other bolt is rather reasonable. I had to torque something up to 200+ on my friends car and that was enough to shift the vehicle on me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Most readily available torque wrenches don't go up that high.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3-4-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-50-300-ft-lb-24350/300498841

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

Id have to take the front axles out to replace the pivot bushing for the twin I beam. While it out I can press the stabilizer bar bushings in which is frustrating as all get out to do while the radius arms are attached. It will be easier to do if I put my axle on the work bench.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 28, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Just because it says 300 doesn't mean you should do it. And I think it's actually alittle bit higher than 300, but regardless my torque wrenches doesn't go that high. And a 1inch one is expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

It have to take the front axles out to replace the pivot bushing for the twin I beam. While it out I can press the stabilizer bar bushings in which is frustrating as all get out to do while the radius arms are attached. It will be easier to do if I put my axle on the work bench.

You've never done anything like this. You googled the poo poo out of it and learned some words.

This, in a nutshell, is your problem. You're a loving first day expert on everything that your brain happens to latch on to for a while.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

You've never done anything like this. You googled the poo poo out of it and learned some words.

This, in a nutshell, is your problem. You're a loving first day expert on everything that your brain happens to latch on to for a while.

You're right. I haven't done something like that. My friend said he was going to talk me through it. I wanted to get it professionally done first, but my friend was like nah man you got this.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Just because it says 300 doesn't mean you should do it. And I think it's actually alittle bit higher than 300, but regardless my torque wrenches doesn't go that high. And a 1inch one is expensive.

Wow those goalposts moved almost as quickly as it took me to find this:
https://www.amazon.ca/CDI-752MFRMH-Torque-8-Inch-Micro-Adjustable/dp/B002L9Z27E/

I'll leave it to you to find a US retailer, but drat that's inexpensive as heck!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Ry, I recommend listening to the motivational vignettes of Sean O'Haire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LJvOt_8B0

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Fermented Tinal posted:

Wow those goalposts moved almost as quickly as it took me to find this:
https://www.amazon.ca/CDI-752MFRMH-Torque-8-Inch-Micro-Adjustable/dp/B002L9Z27E/

I'll leave it to you to find a US retailer, but drat that's inexpensive as heck!

Mate what you linked me only went up to 75. And the one that I need from that is 600+ cdn.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rytheric posted:

But I'd have to essentially put the vehical up on cinderblocks and rip the front axles out to get things done easily. Then I'd have to limp it to a shop to tighten the radius arm bolts because they need torqued to 300lbs. My friend use to work on hummers and such in the army then got his associates.

Do loving jack stands not exist in your world? Not that it matters because where in that superfund site did you expect to work on it? Is there even a flat level working surface there? Somehow I expect you've given exactly as much thought to this stage of the continuing train wreck that is your life as you have the rest of this endeavor.

PS: PFC dumbfuck last worked on a medium duty vehicle when they had an entire stocked shop with every tool they needed at hand along with plenty of spares. I'm willing to put money on you having a Fischer Price My First Mechanics tool kit from the parts store to do this with.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Mate what you linked me only went up to 75. And the one that I need from that is 600+ cdn.

Actually, I shortened the link and foolishly thought Amazon wouldn't gently caress it up.

3/4DR 80-400ft lbs is $270 canadaland fun dollars, please try again.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Methinks the OP is about to uncover more evidence that he does in fact have bones once the GroverTruk crushes them...

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elmnt80 posted:

Do loving jack stands not exist in your world? Not that it matters because where in that superfund site did you expect to work on it? Is there even a flat level working surface there? Somehow I expect you've given exactly as much thought to this stage of the continuing train wreck that is your life as you have the rest of this endeavor.

PS: PFC dumbfuck last worked on a medium duty vehicle when they had an entire stocked shop with every tool they needed at hand along with plenty of spares. I'm willing to put money on you having a Fischer Price My First Mechanics tool kit from the parts store to do this with.

LMAO. I appreciate your humor with this. So Jack stands would be better than cinderblocks is what yall are saying. I would need bigger jack stands than I got and a bigger torque wrench. But yeah this vehicle is bigger than my 82 s10 and crosstrek obviously. And most my auto work has just been brakes, tires, fluid changes, replacing radiators, lines, and hitches.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bogus Adventure posted:

Methinks the OP is about to uncover more evidence that he does in fact have bones once the GroverTruk crushes them...

Does he have a spine though, or is this more an air sac thing?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

cursedshitbox posted:

Seriously. You can get that much torque just by pushing down on your morning piss-hard.

Math checks out. 200lbs @ 18" is 300ft-lbs. Well, checks out for me. If you weigh 1800lbs, it should work for you, too.

Rytheric posted:

LMAO. I appreciate your humor with this. So Jack stands would be better than cinderblocks is what yall are saying. I would need bigger jack stands than I got and a bigger torque wrench. But yeah this vehicle is bigger than my 82 s10 and crosstrek obviously. And most my auto work has just been brakes, tires, fluid changes, replacing radiators, lines, and hitches.

Cinder blocks (or even concrete blocks like from the hardware store) are absolutely, positively, not designed nor rated to support a vehicle. Full Stop.

Use the correct tools for this job, or get a professional to do it for you.

Wait, wait. No. I forgot. Reverse psychology.

Do whatever you want, and make sure to pay someone sketchy in advance to do it after they promise you they know how.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.theonion.com/i-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy-who-can-really-screw-us-ov-1819584548

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

endlessmonotony posted:

Does he have a spine though, or is this more an air sac thing?

Only one way to find out! Gotta perform a self-vivisection.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rytheric posted:

Yes, I'm telling you the same thing people have been telling you to do this entire thread, use the proper tool for a job, recognize when you are in over your head and that you are so far out of your element you couldn't spot yourself with that impulse purchase telescope.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Math checks out. 200lbs @ 18" is 300ft-lbs. Well, checks out for me. If you weigh 1800lbs, it should work for you, too.

Cinder blocks (or even concrete blocks like from the hardware store) are absolutely, positively, not designed nor rated to support a vehicle. Full Stop.

Use the correct tools for this job, or get a professional to do it for you.

Wait, wait. No. I forgot. Reverse psychology.

Do whatever you want, and make sure to pay someone sketchy in advance to do it after they promise you they know how.

Gotcha. See I couldnt tell with Motronics humour if he was more concerned about me ripping the axles out or the cinderblocks. I could tell it easier with elment80s humour. Seeing a vehicle up on cinderblocks isn't uncommon in west virginia. So was kinda neutral about it. Figured I could distribute the load well enough.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 28, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So what I'm thinking is that probably the best course of action is to forget about land this year. If I want the land I can try again next year. I can take the $6000 I have and take GroverTruk to get the suspension replaced and fixed up then finish flushing it out. Save up and worry about land for the MurderHaus next year. That land is probably not going to get sold anytime soon so in the least it will be waiting for me next year. In the mean time I can look elsewhere and establish connections with my company lawyer and such. I at least learned more about the process this year.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

Gotcha. See I could tell with Motronics humour if he was more concerned about me ripping the axles out or the cinderblocks. I could tell it easier with elment80s humour. Seeing a vehicle up on cinderblocks isn't uncommon in west virginia. So was kinda neutral about it. Figured I could distribute the load well enough.

Because you're new here, I'm going to point out that elmnt80 is the moderator of SA's car board. Motronic, Fermented Tinial, cursedshitbox, taqueso: all Automotive Insanity regulars. They know working on cars. They can see when someone is in way over their head.

Saying things like "300ft-lb is a lot of torque" and "I can pull axles while it's on cinderblocks" are both indicators that you absolutely, positively (and don't let ANYONE ELSE try to convince you otherwise) out of your depth on this one.

Rytheric posted:

So what I'm thinking is that probably the best course of action is to forget about land this year. If I want the land I can try again next year. I can take the $6000 I have and take GroverTruk to get the suspension replaced and fixed up then finish flushing it out. Save up and worry about land for the MurderHaus next year. That land is probably not going to get sold anytime soon so in the least it will be waiting for me next year. In the mean time I can look elsewhere and establish connections with my company lawyer and such. I at least learned more about the process this year.

It's a good first step, and thank you for using this as a teachable moment. However, walk away from this land in its entirety. Put it in your proverbial rear-view and do not look back on it. Other, better parcels of land exist. If you don't just abandon all land searching of any kind for a year, in one year you can find an ideal piece of land.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 28, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I think you need to find reasonable, boring, reliable and safe transportation with that $6,000. So that you can get to a job, perhaps even this one, every day and on time so that you can reliably make money so that you can perhaps even get a proper place to live.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

Most readily available torque wrenches don't go up that high. My friend has a 1 inch drive one, but even then I'd prefer either my friend tighten that bold or me take it to a mechanic. Every other bolt is rather reasonable. I had to torque something up to 200+ on my friends car and that was enough to shift the vehicle on me.

Hahahaha this fuckin' guy

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

I think you need to find reasonable, boring, reliable and safe transportation with that $6,000. So that you can get to a job, perhaps even this one, every day and on time so that you can reliably make money so that you can perhaps even get a proper place to live.

I can ride my bike to work honestly if necessary.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Motronic posted:

This is the right answer but it sounds so much like my father it makes me want to root for Ry just to be a contrarian.

Ry, spend the money on crypto

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
An early Tracker, especially in manual, will hold its value incredibly well

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Return the telescope and spend the $3k was it? plus the $6k, for a total of 9k, on paying back your retirement account. Then save actual money you didn't borrow from your retirement and use that on your endless moneypit hobbies.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

Hahahaha this fuckin' guy

so the story on this one was that i went to chicago to see a lady friend I had met from a vegan facebook page i was on for a while and went to do a week long fast with her while fixing up her condo and her car because she let things fall apart and her friends were the kind that would say they would do something, but never get around to do it. It was kind of bad.

anyway, i went to switch out her brakes, but i didn't bring the tool sets i got from o'rielly's that i acquired while working on my truck and boat which included my jack and jack stands. so i decided to borrow tools, but they autostores there wouldnt let one work in their parking lot nor would they lend out jacks or jack stands. I had just bought a plane ticket, so i figured if i was careful, i could get by without buying a jack or jack stands and just use the jack supplied with the car.

well everything was going good until i had to tighten one of the caliper bolts that required roughly 200 ft lbs. unfortunately that was enough to pull the whole car forward off the jack. Luckily i knew not to position myself under the car nor have my hand under the lower part of the car. Still the bumper pushed my neck towards the ground and pinned my hand under a fender which tore my flesh as i ripped it out to get unpinned. I got a jack from the neighbor an finished then back back the next day to do the drum breaks, but after that I was thinking about the suspension on GroverTruk, and was like, ehhh, i dont have any level ground to set jackstands on to keep them from tipping over, so i was going to use cinderblocks instead while torquing down bolts.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

Return the telescope and spend the $3k was it? plus the $6k, for a total of 9k, on paying back your retirement account. Then save actual money you didn't borrow from your retirement and use that on your endless moneypit hobbies.

it was $2000, and that is on a payment plan through a random loan shark.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

also carchat.. but anything that needs 300FTLbs of torque needs someone who knows how much is about 300ftlbs. I get it you're an entineerey type, but when it comes to bolts on your suspension 300ftlbs means.. get that fucker on goootntite. Any shop you take it to isn't going to be torque wrenching your shocks or your swaybar bushings etc. poo poo even at the factory I bet the robots or airguns the human robots use aren't nearly as calibrated as the worst torque wrench you can get from harbor freight THAT BEING SAID if you were redoing your intake/exhaust header studs, or your camshaft pullies that want something like 48ftlbs yeah you probably should get them exact. When something asks for 300ftlbs yeah just trust someone who's done it before (IE not you)

You shoudl be able to do shocks and whatever else you need for a fraction of the dealer / shop prices with "PFC dumbfuck" if they actually know what they are dong (read that as, were a mechanic in real life for some period of time, worked in the military as a mechanic, etc) AND they can provide you with acceptable tools to help you with the job (a lift would be real pleasant). THEN you take it to go get a real 4 wheel alignment and let someone with the $teaxs% laser alignment tool do that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

An early Tracker, especially in manual, will hold its value incredibly well

That is exactly what i want.