Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

maybe you had to be there but cracking up (or for that matter, unironically cheering) at some of the Shinji / Kaworu stuff in 3.0 sounds like an entirely appropriate response to me

Like I said, this was bad even by con standards. A few outbursts would have been in line with expectations but as soon as Kowaru showed up it was continuous for the rest of the runtime and made it nearly impossible to make out any of the audio. Of dozens I’ve been to, the only large con viewing I’ve attended that was more raucous was Rocky Horror Picture Show at Dragoncon 2002 and everybody in that room knew what to expect going in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

It was bad. Definitely there was a lot of performative gasping and WHAT THE loving at all the stuff in the first part of 3 since it was a very disorienting movie and nerds are especially prone to loudly sharing their reactions to media, but the audience basically lost their minds as soon as Kaworu showed up and never really got better. I don't precisely remember the differences between his lines in that version and his lines on the BR disc, but there was somewhat more innuendo in the initial version and the crowd basically hooted and laughed raucously anytime he was on the screen and never really did settle down for the rest of the movie. It didn't seem like anyone was giving it the MST3K treatment, but the nonstop cackling and noise was really irritating. Someone else wrote a huge post about their recollection of the same showing a couple of years ago here that is consistent with what I remember. I've been to some other screenings and premieres and yeah, con crowds are a boisterous lot but this one seemed like the room just got stuck in some weird feedback loop. I went to see the limited theatrical release a few weeks later and while it was an enthusiastic room and there were some chuckles at the more blatant lines, it was nowhere near as bad as Otakon. If for no reason other than it was a much smaller venue.
sounds sick. hootitng and hollering at Kaworu trying to gently caress Shinji is never inappropriate. what if the 17th angel was pepe le pew?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if the con bans me for hollering at the yaoi, i will face anno and walk backwards into terminal dogma

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

actually i think you should let people actually be able to watch the movie

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

:hai:

agreed.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Stairmaster posted:

the last time i tried this i was informed that annoying everyone around you during a movie is american culture, thank you very much

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

NGE mostly has a pretty serious tone. I can understand Khara's concern that the original dub basically amounted to a piss-take

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Netflix dub feels like a piss take in a parody of dubs sort of way

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I will defend to the death my right to snicker at "we must wield the two spears together Shinji!"

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Also just lmao if you aren't immediately F5'ing for the first fan subbed camrip available.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

redsniper posted:

Also just lmao if you aren't immediately F5'ing for the first fan subbed camrip available.
got my radarr set to "ANY"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I grew up watching horrible camrips and I'll see this series die watching horrible camrips :bahgawd:

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Watching a shaky camrip stream of EoE in glorious 240p while it buffers every 3 seconds

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Robviously posted:

I grew up watching horrible camrips and I'll see this series die watching horrible camrips :bahgawd:

This, on a realplayer

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I watched eoe on a bootleg vhs that had frankly unreadable subs so finishing my eva journey with a shaky camrip TLed by google is only appropriate.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GimmickMan posted:

I watched eoe on a bootleg vhs that had frankly unreadable subs so finishing my eva journey with a shaky camrip TLed by google is only appropriate.
Speaking of EoE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZnsWjJ6Qw

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I know I told this story before but my intro to EVA was getting the whole series plus D&R on 2 CD-Rs and making out pixels in RealPlayer.

May no one else ever know the joy/pain of being a late 90s/early aughts anime nerd.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was lucky enough to watch Evangelion for the first time in like 2006-7ish on Youtube. Every episode was split into three 10 minute chunks to get around the limits back then. Watched it dubbed of course because I was a naive little 15 year old who just watched the first version of the show he could find.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robviously posted:

I know I told this story before but my intro to EVA was getting the whole series plus D&R on 2 CD-Rs and making out pixels in RealPlayer.

May no one else ever know the joy/pain of being a late 90s/early aughts anime nerd.

Same. I don't think any episode was more than 30 mb.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Hahaha, holy poo poo, they got Tiffany Grant!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Happened to catch eoe on stars or showtime in the mid '00s. It was the first bit of eva I ever saw, hoo boy lol

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Asuka and Pen Pen probably have the absolute best reaction to Shinji’s... escalation in Instrumentality that I have ever witnessed

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Robviously posted:

drat, when you put it like that, i don’t want it any other way

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the entire instrumentality sequence hol moly

esp. the shot of the blood spurt from big rei which even has the cool sparkles when shinji is rejecting it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Better than it has any right to be.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I assume thats Rocco on the vocals of both songs. KILLED that poo poo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I saw Evangelion when it was on adult swim and it changed my life for the better but never saw EoE until it hit netflix, so for me, Komm Susser Tod is inextricably linked to the groverhaus video

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I watched an AMV of the Asuka fight in EoE so many times before watching the actual thing that when the scene started and 99 Red Balloons didn’t start I was confused for like 30 seconds. I’m pretty sure my friend found it on Limewire.

I wish I could find that video again. There’s one on YT that’s similar but not the same. I used to imagine that I’d find it on some old CD-R from elementary school with NESticle and a complete set of NES roms but lol I don’t have a CD-R drive anymore anyways.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxa1by4lz0

I saw this in AMV Hell 3 before I watched Evangelion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I love that they went full on Anno and included flash frames of actual irate comments they've received over the years in the Instrumentality sequence, including one massive "oof" inducing mega-shade cameo from loving JonTron

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol mega64 owns

also i accidently started watching 3.0+1.0 fan speculation videos on youtube, and i'm taking a drink every time someone says "time travel"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DC Murderverse posted:

I watched an AMV of the Asuka fight in EoE so many times before watching the actual thing that when the scene started and 99 Red Balloons didn’t start I was confused for like 30 seconds. I’m pretty sure my friend found it on Limewire.

I wish I could find that video again. There’s one on YT that’s similar but not the same. I used to imagine that I’d find it on some old CD-R from elementary school with NESticle and a complete set of NES roms but lol I don’t have a CD-R drive anymore anyways.

the original video got copyright striked off the face of the entire internet back when that was still relatively feasible, it's almost impossible to find now unless you manage to find it on someone's hard drive or uploaded at a non-searchable host

honestly if you can dig it up from your old collection that would be great, it's a lost loving piece of history as it stands :v:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIcOIc7AFww

This vid was a really big deal to me when I was like 14 lmao.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pretty good posted:

This vid was a really big deal to me when I was like 14 lmao.

Video unavailable
This video is not available

:smith:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Booo

It's the Rammstein - Engel EoE one, I think there are multiple versions of it on youtube

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm getting back into my pre-Youtube habits of saving videos and clips I might want to watch again with how often stuff just disappears these days.

Got this in my feed when I had the Tenacious Dvangelion mashups on loop for a while and Iiked it.

https://youtu.be/xzUgmeUSOkY

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm getting back into my pre-Youtube habits of saving videos and clips I might want to watch again with how often stuff just disappears these days.
hell yeah. the ubiquity of super-highspeed broadband, streaming services and cloud bullshit were supposed to remove the motivation for keeping a local copy of your media. however, streaming services becoming subject to the vagaries and pettiness of IP contract disputes between increasingly-monopolistic media companies makes this pretty much useless. synology > spotify.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

hell yeah. the ubiquity of super-highspeed broadband, streaming services and cloud bullshit were supposed to remove the motivation for keeping a local copy of your media. however, streaming services becoming subject to the vagaries and pettiness of IP contract disputes between increasingly-monopolistic media companies makes this pretty much useless. synology > spotify.

Always has been. I have 64 TB of offline storage and accidentally becoming the Library of Alexandria for a few niches of media is a weird feeling.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

With consumer upload speeds catching up to fast download speeds the trick is to have a VPN server running on your network so you can securely access your NAS from anywhere. Become your own cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

With consumer upload speeds catching up to fast download speeds the trick is to have a VPN server running on your network so you can securely access your NAS from anywhere. Become your own cloud.
I lost most of my :filez: media in a hard drive crash five or six years ago but I've been slowly building it back up and now my crusty old laptop is currently acting as a plex server hundreds of miles away from me. tbh it is extremely cool to be your own netflix that has stuff like the fanedit of Daria that puts all the original music back in.