Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CarForumPoster posted:

Well you renting it certainly saves him money on having it torn down.

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The shag cave is terrifying.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Proteus Jones posted:

WHICH ONE?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Proteus Jones posted:

The shag cave is a little old place where
We can poo poo together
Shag cave baby
A shag cave baby
Shag cave, baby shag cave

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I'm sorry, but I would actually love to have this bathroom.

Looks like a FMV game background.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

By popular demand posted:

I never wanted to live in the credit sequence to an early 90's kids sitcom.

This kitchen is where they filmed the opening for Saved by the Bell.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

CarForumPoster posted:

This is baffling. For about $1000 in steel and supplies, a junior level Mech E student could design a frame to look basically like a door frame and I can even imagine some ways where its not ~that~ bad. Like...making an equivalent member that a person could walk through looks pretty easily doable in that scenario.

What country is that with those light switches?

Looks like the UK, but they're fairly generic.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Wolfsbane posted:

Looks like the UK, but they're fairly generic.

I (in the UK) have a friend who lived for years in a similar-ish barn conversion. Apparently the building, or the site at least, had been a barn probably since before William I, and a dwelling for a good long time. Nothing quite as dramatic as that but there were a couple of 4 foot doorways and a couple of ones just high enough for me to think I’d be fine but concuss myself on iron-hard oak. The family are all strapping six-footers and up but were so used to the doors that they just didn’t hit their heads.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That reminds me of a house I went to look at 2 years ago in the suburbs of Chicago. It was a beautiful house on the first two floors, but had made some weird design choices in the basement. It was like they broke through parts of the foundation to expand the basement. I had to almost get on my hands and knees to crawl through a small 4 or 4.5 foot opening to get to where the washer and dryer were (I am 6ft 6in). And there was a whole storage area that had the same issue. I think the ceilings down there we’re all over the place as well, so I had to constantly watch my head. The only saving grace was all the concrete was painted or epoxied, so at least it looked pretty nice, even if it wasn’t super functional.

I did not buy that house.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I'm sorry, but I would actually love to have this bathroom.

Brass Monkey of Damocles rules.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

CarForumPoster posted:

This is baffling. For about $1000 in steel and supplies, a junior level Mech E student could design a frame to look basically like a door frame and I can even imagine some ways where its not ~that~ bad. Like...making an equivalent member that a person could walk through looks pretty easily doable in that scenario.

It actually looks like what you are suggesting was done with the door in the background.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A very honest real estate listing
https://www.yourmainagent.com/avocaave

quote:

Here it is, literally the worst house on the street! The Seller has done the hard work of cleaning up the almost half-acre property (it only took 7 dumpsters!), so now is your chance to take it from here. Have you ever watched HGTV and thought, "I could do that!"? If so, pack up your tape measure and start Googling how to identify a load-bearing wall because it's time to put your money where your mouth is! The roof leaks, the floor creaks, and there's a terrible draft, but this 3 bed, 1.5 bath home is very open concept. And by that we mean the inside is open to the outside because several of the windows are broken. There is a large, sunny window in the kitchen... and absolutely nothing else - a wonderful feature for someone interested in a bright reading space (and ordering take out for every meal). Now I know you've heard of a detached garage, but have you ever heard of a detached foundation?! Because that's what you'll find here in the large bonus room at the right of the home. And if you're looking for a house that screams "I've got bizarre and ominous energy!" then honey stop the car because you've found it right here conveniently located off of US-301 in North Zephyrhills. If you need a place to stage your next post-apocalyptic zombie movie, this is it (the covered porch has really good "rest here on your way to the safe zone" vibes). And whether you like to turn up the heat or keep it cool, it won't matter here because there is no HVAC system. Oh and don't forget about the brick chimney that perfectly epitomizes how we all feel after 2020 - about to collapse and going nowhere (literally, there is no fireplace inside the house). What else can be say about this one-of-a-kind opportunity? It's not in a flood zone and will be conveyed with clear title! But we don't have a survey and the Seller has never seen the property, so buyers are strongly encouraged to do their own due diligence. And if you're not interested in crying yourself to sleep every night while you rehab this home, might we suggest tearing it down and building a brand new one in its place? The neighbors would likely thank you.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Orvin posted:

That reminds me of a house I went to look at 2 years ago in the suburbs of Chicago. It was a beautiful house on the first two floors, but had made some weird design choices in the basement. It was like they broke through parts of the foundation to expand the basement. I had to almost get on my hands and knees to crawl through a small 4 or 4.5 foot opening to get to where the washer and dryer were (I am 6ft 6in). And there was a whole storage area that had the same issue. I think the ceilings down there we’re all over the place as well, so I had to constantly watch my head. The only saving grace was all the concrete was painted or epoxied, so at least it looked pretty nice, even if it wasn’t super functional.

I did not buy that house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

quote:

During the 19th century, the elevation of the Chicago area was little higher than the shoreline of Lake Michigan, so for many years, there was little or no naturally occurring drainage from the city surface. The lack of drainage caused unpleasant living conditions, and standing water harbored pathogens that caused numerous epidemics including typhoid fever and dysentery, which blighted Chicago six years in a row, culminating in the 1854 outbreak of cholera that killed six percent of the city’s population.[2][3][4][5]

So they decided to raise the buildings of Chicago up one story and make the old ground levels basements, and lay sewers in the former streets. Meanwhile ...

quote:

Many of central Chicago’s hurriedly-erected wooden frame buildings were now considered inappropriate to the burgeoning and increasingly wealthy city. [...] Consequently, the practice of putting the old multi-story, intact and furnished wooden buildings—sometimes entire rows of them en bloc—on rollers and moving them to the outskirts of town or to the suburbs was so common as to be considered nothing more than routine traffic.

So it might have been a hasty lift, or an awkward match to an existing hole?

HelleSpud fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 26, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

This was way out in the suburbs, in Naperville. I doubt this house was raised up. Much more likely that additions were added on later, and they expanded the foundations or basements for the added on part of the structure. The land the house was on slopes down away from the street pretty significantly so it might have required putting a full basement level foundation for support, rather than the usual slab foundation additions get around here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CarForumPoster posted:

Or just design the added floor so that one doesn't have to go through that point. Like, I see the stairs there. Have them split from a landing ~7' below the beam - one branch to the floor on either side of the beam.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

FCKGW posted:

A very honest real estate listing
https://www.yourmainagent.com/avocaave

So, based on the sales history, the 'sellers' (aka failed flippers) bought it a year ago for $34K, threw out some trash/demo and realized they were in way over their heads. Now listed at $69K and under contract.

A $30K profit to throw out some trash and sit on a glorified shed for a year ain't too bad a gig if you ask me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

So, based on the sales history, the 'sellers' (aka failed flippers) bought it a year ago for $34K, threw out some trash/demo and realized they were in way over their heads. Now listed at $69K and under contract.

A $30K profit to throw out some trash and sit on a glorified shed for a year ain't too bad a gig if you ask me.

Seven dumpsters of whatever the gently caress was in there probably shortened their lives by a decade.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A win win then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shame there's already been an Evil Dead remake because boy would that house be perfect for one.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't see the issue here

a kitchen modelled after a trapper keeper

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't see the issue here

a kitchen modelled after a trapper keeper

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Source

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The 'dryer vented into the crawlspace' was my nightmare. We bought our house in 1992; estate sale. Apparently older folks weren't satisfied with having a 140K BtU furnace in a 1600-SF house, let's save energy by re-using the excess dryer heat!

The crawlspce looked like the Easter bunny exploded in there. It took several years to clean out the lint, and we still have a dust problem, thirty years on.

The worst part? It was a gas dryer.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 28, 2021

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Pro click.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

quote:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A Gandalf beam
"You Shall Not Pass"

it's beatMasterJ's nemesis

...beamMasterJ :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PainterofCrap posted:

The 'dryer vented into the crawlspace' was my nightmare. We bought our house in 1992; estate sale. Apparently older folks weren't satisfied with having a 140K BtU furnace in a 1600-SF house, let's save energy by re-using the excess dryer heat!

The crawlspce looked like the Easter bunny exploded in there. It took several years to clean out the lint, and we still have a dust problem, thirty years on.

The worst part? It was a gas dryer.

One spark was the difference between your house and charred remains, I hope you know that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

VanSandman posted:

One spark was the difference between your house and charred remains, I hope you know that.

My house should have burned down at least five times. That's one. We stopped using the dryer the week after we moved in until I could duct it outside.

I found a number of loose lugs on the Wadsworth panel when I was swapping out that fossil for a Siemens. Explained all the weird random blinky light issues I could never solve over the first fifteen years.

Then there were the three separate flying splices in the attic, each one lovingly wrapped in a baseball-sized accretion of friction tape, which literally fell apart from heat charring when I grabbed it. Each splice was thoughtfully stapled to an 80-year-old piece of framing lumber for the kneewall. Those made my nuts retract.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

How you turn my world
You precious thing
You starve and near exhaust me
Everything I've done
I've done for you
I move the stars for no one...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stolen freon the cursed images thread.

https://twitter.com/JimmyJazz1968/s...ingawful.com%2F

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

I came here to post this exact thing.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Blistex posted:

How you turn my world
You precious thing
You starve and near exhaust me
Everything I've done
I've done for you
I move the stars for no one...

Amazing!

I need to get good audio/video of my boyfriend's hardwood floors. This is a 150-year-old rented apartment and the floors are nothing but extremely loud creaks with every step and nails that just won't stay hammered down. All our socks have little holes in them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spotted in another thread...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Twitter threads are the worst loving medium for things like this because half+ of the images you can't tell what the thing is due to the crop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/AkilahObviously/status/1351814414068977665

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

This could be awesome to throw parties in

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So long as nobody gets dopey enough to try for a triple jump.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

100% would

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
$50 says it still reeks with pool smell in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

~Coxy posted:

Twitter threads are the worst loving medium for things like this because half+ of the images you can't tell what the thing is due to the crop.

Agreed and this one is just someone stealing an Imgur album: https://imgur.com/gallery/aNzjhk9