Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

This shouldn't be surprising at all given that all our pandemic planning was based around influenza, which is why even 12 months on there's still a stubborn insistence on things like hand sanitiser even though we now know fomite transmission is negligible. (Although only part of this is inertia; part of it is also, hey, not having the flu is good so let's not exactly trumpet "don't worry about the hand sanitiser" from the rooftops.)

The hand sanitizer thing is a surprisingly giant burden when it comes to larger businesses so I’m kind of surprised they haven’t toned it down. If you have more than 240 gallons at any one site it needs to be kept in flammable storage or below a temperature threshold. It is a tremendous pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

does costco happen to have a UK branch cos that sounds like a loving dope place to work

also i feel better now
arm still hurts but i think thats more because im a delicate baby with a gene disorder that fucks my collagen

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wish people would do this every flu season. Once this is all over (lol) I'll probably still be using my mask sometimes.

People don't just want the pandemic to be over, they want "normal" to come back. They want to get their jabs and be told "okay, you can throw your masks away and go party at the beach." They want all the direction and social distancing floor stickers ripped off, and have this all have been a bad dream we all wake up from and not even a trace of the pandemic world remain.

These people will absolutely shame anyone wearing a mask during flu season on social media after this is "over".

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wish people would do this every flu season. Once this is all over (lol) I'll probably still be using my mask sometimes.

I'm right there with you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

Every single year Costco is like "it actually saves us a lot of money to pay employees more and to give them sick leave and paid vacations, it's not altruistic it's just a smart business decision" and republicans trip over themselves to sweep those claims under the rug

And Wall Street loving hates it but then, every year, Costco fuckin’ kills it

naem
May 29, 2011

there would be a minor fiscal blip for one quarter after a bunch of humane normal laws got passed to mirror the rest of the developed world and we just can’t have that in the us

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

People don't just want the pandemic to be over, they want "normal" to come back. They want to get their jabs and be told "okay, you can throw your masks away and go party at the beach." They want all the direction and social distancing floor stickers ripped off, and have this all have been a bad dream we all wake up from and not even a trace of the pandemic world remain.

This is certainly why I wanted Australia to push hard for elimination rather than the rest of the world's strategy of getting the numbers a bit lower, ending lockdown, giving you a few months of going to a pub beer garden with face masks and still a risk of getting COVID, and then inevitably going back into lockdown again and again and again.

This is also why I think when this is over, there's not going to be any TV shows or movies about it for at least a generation, 2020 and 2021 are going straight down the memory hole and good loving riddance.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

freebooter posted:

This is also why I think when this is over, there's not going to be any TV shows or movies about it for at least a generation, 2020 and 2021 are going straight down the memory hole and good loving riddance.

You say that but it seems like people are falling over themselves to post 'One year ago today' hot takes on Twitter that highlight officials downplaying COVID. It's the worst loving rerun ever.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i mean can you blame them
i mean OBVIOUSLY wait until this poo poo has actually blown over but jesus loving christ i want the entire past 2 years surgically removed from my memory lobes

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

You say that but it seems like people are falling over themselves to post 'One year ago today' hot takes on Twitter that highlight officials downplaying COVID. It's the worst loving rerun ever.

Oh I find those interesting too, I'm just saying I sure as hell don't want to watch some loving Netflix original about this once it's over.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

These people will absolutely shame anyone wearing a mask during flu season on social media after this is "over".

No, I won't.

Because I am absolutely dreaming of this even if I can't have it. If folks feel a need to wear a surgical mask in any circumstance, that is super fine with me and has bee since 2008 when I was living in Okinawa.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

it seems like OC is setting themselves up to get turbofucked

This would make a good thread title

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No, I won't.

Because I am absolutely dreaming of this even if I can't have it. If folks feel a need to wear a surgical mask in any circumstance, that is super fine with me and has bee since 2008 when I was living in Okinawa.

Yeah it totally depends on where you live, in my area of Sydney it was really common to see people wearing masks long before the pandemic and if anything I think more people will wear them when ill now.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The wait between the 1st Moderna and the 2nd Moderna is kind of annoying/ agonizing . I have to be super careful for the next 6 weeks. 1st Moderna was like getting punched in the arm. I've only got 2 more weeks til my 2nd shot though so I'm trying to be as careful as I can.

According to the fda review paper, the 14-28 day window after the first shot is about 90% efficacy for moderna. 1-14 is about 50%. You should still be careful because there are still a lot of people out there which are trying to kill everyone.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Sometimes you have to wonder about a great cosmic force of irony after the spat between the EU and AstraZeneca about only being able to deliver shy of 40% of its contracted doses, given that now the EU is in the position that it's struggling to administer even 30% of the AZ vaccines it has received because all the bad press AZ got means everybody wants the Pfizer/Moderna jab instead.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

freebooter posted:

This is certainly why I wanted Australia to push hard for elimination rather than the rest of the world's strategy of getting the numbers a bit lower, ending lockdown, giving you a few months of going to a pub beer garden with face masks and still a risk of getting COVID, and then inevitably going back into lockdown again and again and again.

A covid movie got released last year on Netflix. I think it was about zombies

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

There was someone in a TVIV thread saying that people making TV shows have a “moral imperative” to put COVID stuff in their shows and I was just like “Jesus loving Christ no, please no Very Special Episodes about this stuff”. Everyone I know who’s actually doing any work dealing with this stuff, myself included, would rather drink a cyanide and horseshit smoothie instead of coming home, trying to relax, and having even more pandemic stuff jammed in our eyeballs. It was the most “I work from home and watch the news a lot” opinion.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cant tell if the nausea is creeping back or if im just hungry

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hbag posted:

cant tell if the nausea is creeping back or if im just hungry

The nausea was the last thing to go for me and was strongest at the end, I almost chundered at work a couple times at the end there. I even had the spitty mouth thing going on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It would be cringe to put coronavirus in a movie so that's how you know for sure that the next big DC release will do it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

It would be cringe to put coronavirus in a movie so that's how you know for sure that the next big DC release will do it

Marvel was on the right track when their movies skipped right over 2020 and they didn’t even know it at the time.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

QuarkJets posted:

erm i think you mean joker gas sweaty

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hbag posted:

erm i think you mean joker gas sweaty

Joker's corona balloons

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Does anyone else fear another wave or bump or something related to people getting the vaccine and then going, "gently caress you, got mine" and then going maskless? I'm thinking around the 75% (of total americans) mark. Ripping off their masks with gusto in an attempt to return to "normal." And loving over everyone else in the process.

It's like you're at an office birthday party, and you gotta sing Happy Birthday and wait for everyone to get a piece. Like Office Space. But some people, I guess the FYGM types, will see that cake and just go for it, shoveling fistfuls in their gross maws. And there will probably even be some Miltons out there, getting no cake.

Others will just sit at their desks and not bother with the cake. And since they won't be wearing masks, eh, whatever. Maybe they are on a diet, maybe religion forbids them from cake, or maybe Fox had anti-cake propaganda on that morning, or maybe they just prefer pie. Their choice, I guess.

Sorry if this post is confusing. It's late and I can't sleep. And now I want cake.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

spacedude: "wait we're still in wave 1?"

moon gunman: "always was"

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The old man had no real side effects to Moderna dose 1 and it's been about 36 hours. Seems good! It'd be nice if the process could continue quickly since I'm the one out of the house to buy groceries and do occasional on site work. I'm careful but it seems like there's no guarantees. Phase 2 (everyone) predicted rollout is just "summer 2021" here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pakistani politics posted:

Does anyone else fear another wave or bump or something related to people getting the vaccine and then going, "gently caress you, got mine" and then going maskless? I'm thinking around the 75% (of total americans) mark. Ripping off their masks with gusto in an attempt to return to "normal." And loving over everyone else in the process.

It's like you're at an office birthday party, and you gotta sing Happy Birthday and wait for everyone to get a piece. Like Office Space. But some people, I guess the FYGM types, will see that cake and just go for it, shoveling fistfuls in their gross maws. And there will probably even be some Miltons out there, getting no cake.

Others will just sit at their desks and not bother with the cake. And since they won't be wearing masks, eh, whatever. Maybe they are on a diet, maybe religion forbids them from cake, or maybe Fox had anti-cake propaganda on that morning, or maybe they just prefer pie. Their choice, I guess.

Sorry if this post is confusing. It's late and I can't sleep. And now I want cake.

Yeah. You can be certain that this will happen the only question is how often

On top of that I'm also worried that one of the many variants will wind up being resistant to the mRNA vaccines

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pakistani politics posted:

I'm more worried about people who will refuse the vaccine (because they think it has Bill Gates' microchips in it or whatever) but then pretend they got it and go around maskless, becoming little superspreaders at every Applebee's and Cheesecake Factory they hit up.

I know the general idea is we're going to need to remained masked up through the summer or fall, I just pray to God that we don't backtrack on that as the old people dump their money into THE ECONOMY and we are all forced to open everything back up 100% while most of us are still unvaccinated.

naem
May 29, 2011

variants are already causing a surge and if they prove vaccine resistant we’ll end up back in yet another lockdown after a round of open’er’up, again, which is why this is dragging on for a year and a half already

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm more worried about people who will refuse the vaccine (because they think it has Bill Gates' microchips in it or whatever) but then pretend they got it and go around maskless, becoming little superspreaders at every Applebee's and Cheesecake Factory they hit up.

I know the general idea is we're going to need to remained masked up through the summer or fall, I just pray to God that we don't backtrack on that as the old people dump their money into THE ECONOMY and we are all forced to open everything back up 100% while most of us are still unvaccinated.

This will also 100% happen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

None o this poo poo should be open and I went past probably a dozen restaurants where there was literally no parking available tonight.

Same here in Finland. The government are hemming and hawing about limiting restaurant and bar opening times, when the right move was to close them the gently caress down months ago.

It's just depressingly predictable that every time I have to go out for supplies, all the coffee shops and fast food places are packed to the rafters, at least once every week there's a bulletin about exposures at a bunch of bars and restaurants.

In my town the official recommendation was that gyms and whatnot close down for most of December, but because it was just a recommendation, most of them didn't. They just posted notices about not coming in if someone is sick, and increasing cleaning (which they also didn't do) so it was just a bunch of handwaving.

I get that it's a lovely situation and these places closing down means people losing their jobs and some of these places will be closing down permanently, but I don't think it can be helped anymore.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

wilderthanmild posted:

Apparently Ohio's vaccine plan moving forward is to keep expanding the age group by 5 years, but don't plan to move from 65 to 60 for weeks. Good to know that I probably won't get a vaccine this year.

Nonsense. By the summer the US will have more vaccine doses than the entire population.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Nonsense. By the summer the US will have more vaccine doses than the entire population.

The logistics are harder than actually getting the vaccines but once the programs are in place scaling up isn’t terribly difficult. More states need to just put the national guard on it, I’m pretty sure they were at least 75 percent of the staffing at the site where I got mine.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's wild to me how the case average leveled off AND did it so abruptly... Wondering if we hit some kind of baseline level of transmission, but accelerated into the baseline due to the olds getting vaccinated.

I guess there's no way to know without granular case data by age.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I hope the floor stickers stay forever and "stand well behind the person in front of you in line" just becomes normal.

I don't miss standing in line for the self-checkout with someone loving four inches behind me breathing into my ear. I want to be out of here too, but I can't not be in front of you until someone else finishes.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

It's wild to me how the case average leveled off AND did it so abruptly... Wondering if we hit some kind of baseline level of transmission, but accelerated into the baseline due to the olds getting vaccinated.

That's likely an aberration of the data from the snowstorms a couple weeks ago. Texas in particular was massively underreporting because it was hard for people to get tests, and when they did get tests it wasn't being reported quickly at all. So briefly it made the downward slope way steeper than it actually was. Then when states impacted the worst started to catch up, it combined to make it look like a steep slope followed by a sharp levelling off.

Compare states that either weren't hit by the snow storms, like California, or aren't crippled by cold/snow like Ohio to states that were like Texas or Louisiana. You'll see the former ones following a more gradual levelling, but still downward trend. You'll see the latter ones with a very sharp decrease around Valentine's day followed by big bump as reporting began to catch up.

I think this is also what made some people start saying there is a "new surge", but it's probably just data being fucky due to outside conditions.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

smoobles posted:

It's been my suspicion that a whole lot of the diagnosed cases are diagnosed in places like care homes, so with most olds vaccinated they're dropping fast. This would probably mean that most cases in non vulnerable populations are never diagnosed. Maybe knowing that grandma is safe makes people not want to get a test for mild symptoms.

But I could be wrong, you'd need a detailed look at test and case patterns to tell if this is a good hypothesis.

E: thought you were talking about the drop, I have no idea why it's leveling off, but the post above me looks reasonable

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gov. Wolf is easing the restrictions in PA today, I hate how this reads like a "Mission Accomplished" type message from him.

https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425935835201536?s=20
https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425939966590981?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

explosivo posted:

Gov. Wolf is easing the restrictions in PA today, I hate how this reads like a "Mission Accomplished" type message from him.

https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425935835201536?s=20
https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425939966590981?s=20

Stay in Pennsylvania plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Fuuucckk yooouuu