Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Hg Psycho Zaku should have some. Not the cheapest kit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure Thunderbolt Zaku I has em too

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mirthless posted:

Having split my recent purchases between mid-early 2000s and modern models, I also think the plastic from that era was just better, much firmer and less prone to shredding when you're fixing nub marks with a knife. I just built a Leo this morning and my knife was melting through it like it was vinyl. If I'd gotten a kit made out of plastic like this in 2003 I would have thought I'd bought a counterfeit. The thinner/softer plastic is easier to clean up and build out of the box but I have to be more careful with it than I'd like with my style of building :shrug:

A few months back I picked up some 30MM weapon and option sets a few months back to give to random kits and the plastic did feel kind of soft.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I don't know anything about plastics but Bandai has done some wizard poo poo the last few years with the finish and hardness(?) of their materials, it's so cool. Clear parts still hard as poo poo though, I feel like I'm gonna break my fuckin nippers every time I build one of those.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
How ancient and bad is the crossbone mg? The P-Bandai patchwork looks cool but I'm getting tired of older bad build kits.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

How ancient and bad is the crossbone mg? The P-Bandai patchwork looks cool but I'm getting tired of older bad build kits.

It's 15 year old and even a the time of release it was considered pretty lovely.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Do we know anything about how good/bad the Machinedramon Figure-Rise kit is? I am deeply, deeply tempted to preorder.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Yawgmoft posted:

I got one and I don't think it was ever able to fully hold a single weapon without the arm sagging. So you gotta tighten stuff good. That goes double for the full cloth that's constantly in the way. Still pretty and with lots of neat details and gimmicks.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Mirthless posted:

As somebody who cut my teeth on the hobby at that time, there's pros and cons to pre-2010 models and quality is variable but not across the board bad. I just built Cima's Gelgoog from that era and aside from a couple of seams I had to fix and some sharp lines I had to sand down, it was a quick and fun build. There's some floppy joints and legs-fall-off-itis but that's a problem on new models too. The biggest gains in new models over old models is better joint engineering and much better color accuracy, we just kind of accepted that some models had to be painted back in the day. After the dark days of the 1990s models we were all just happy poo poo fit together relatively evenly and had the right proportions.

Having split my recent purchases between mid-early 2000s and modern models, I also think the plastic from that era was just better, much firmer and less prone to shredding when you're fixing nub marks with a knife. I just built a Leo this morning and my knife was melting through it like it was vinyl. If I'd gotten a kit made out of plastic like this in 2003 I would have thought I'd bought a counterfeit. The thinner/softer plastic is easier to clean up and build out of the box but I have to be more careful with it than I'd like with my style of building :shrug:

I think the only source of crackers is the HGUC Zaku the Ground War set which is not cheap but comes with a bunch of neat stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-MS-06-Zaku-Ground/dp/B001P4DFIO

I feel like you could probably make good-enough crackers from sprues if you're comfortable with all the cutting, gluing, sanding and painting required

edit: I'm looking and finding more models but it's mostly hard to find limited run/P-Bandai stuff/OOP and all of it's expensive. I do not believe any of the in-print main line HG Zakus have any, though? You're lucky to get a Bazooka most of the time

holy poo poo it comes with a scale wappa?? im so loving tempted

also speaking of fun with old kits years ago i tried to build an HG Wryneck from the early 00s (i think) and oh boy i can hear the sound of it exploding repeatedly in my mind at the very conjuring of its memory

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 27, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

holy poo poo it comes with a scale wappa?? im so loving tempted

also speaking of fun with old kits years ago i tried to build an HG Wryneck from the early 00s (i think) and oh boy i can hear the sound of it exploding repeatedly in my mind at the very conjuring of its memory

It comes with two Wappas. Also, two beautifully detailed tanks and a squad of support troops. The core kit in the box is pretty obsolete, but the accessories are first rate.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
On the note of how older MGs have aged, how is the MG Turn A? I think it looks cool and I found one store that I can order it from for a reasonable price but I also saw a video saying that while it had a lot of good points (unique design, the cow) but a video I saw said its joints get kind of loose and its a little hard to pose and that's not good. There's also the HG which will be available on Amazon in a couple of weeks and I was thinking that would be a good choice for a first painting since its design works best with the original colors.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sazabi posted:

I got one and I don't think it was ever able to fully hold a single weapon without the arm sagging. So you gotta tighten stuff good. That goes double for the full cloth that's constantly in the way. Still pretty and with lots of neat details and gimmicks.

I built an X-1 so it didn't have any issues with loose joints but I can totally see how the X-3's sword or the peacock smasher would be hell to hold though. More the issue is that the Crossbone series is just kind of silly poo poo in general. You have some cool stuff, like how the weapons resemble pirate stuff, but you have some dumb issues like how it's impossible to hold the zanbuster combo swordgun because the sword's hilt guard just gets in the way despite being designed to accommodate the forearm being in the way.

Poor parts separation too. I don't know about the later versions but X-1's weapons are basically entirely one color, though not necessarily always one piece. There's a bunch of thrusters and such that are just molded in rather than made as a separate piece and though they give you stickers they are awful, awful substitutes for even clumsy Gundam markering. The core fighter is surprisingly solid and fits snug. Too snug in fact, that I never attempted to pull it out. I think some of this is due to the Crossbone era's stuff being a smaller scale so they're working with constraints, but good god there's some stuff that's just plain bad.

tl;dr Not unforgivably bad but they fall short of modern standards in more than a few different ways, as opposed to just being an old bad design. The aesthetic is strong enough that you can't really find a substitute at the MG scale.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

hostess with the Moltres posted:

On the note of how older MGs have aged, how is the MG Turn A? I think it looks cool and I found one store that I can order it from for a reasonable price but I also saw a video saying that while it had a lot of good points (unique design, the cow) but a video I saw said its joints get kind of loose and its a little hard to pose and that's not good. There's also the HG which will be available on Amazon in a couple of weeks and I was thinking that would be a good choice for a first painting since its design works best with the original colors.

It aged like a fine wine.

The joints can get loose, because it's a no-polycap design, and some of the armor parts can get in the way a little if you don't fiddle with them, but overall it's a top shelf kit, with great mobility, a wide array of accessories, and a great look.

The HG is good too, but it's got less stuff, needs stickers, and loses some of the gimmicks. It also has unusual jointing for a HG of its era, so it's harder to customize.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

After a couple of frustrating builds I decided to do something easy to get back on track. This is a Bandai Mecha Collection SDD Yukikaze from Yamato 2199. I'm almost done with the topside panel lining before flipping it over and doing the underside.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I screwed up really badly with my GM Sniper II as I was trying to learn Seamline removal, namely, removing something that wasn't a seam line in the Sniper II's shoulders. Bad form from me, I now have some pretty messed up shoulders and no real way to fix them, at least not with my limited skills.

Still, where we stumble, we overcome, if I can't make a straight build Sniper II, I'll just grab some shoulders from another kit that has em spare and slap them on instead! Right now my ideas are.

The Jesta Cannon comes with one spare shoulder, I happen to have a Jesta Cannon already, so getting a second would allow me to make a pair of Jesta shoulders for the Sniper 2.

Pictured: The Jesta's shoulders were also ruined by over sanding. I'm learning, slowly, but these poor kits are suffering for my stupidity.

The G-Else and Impulse Gundam Arc/Lancier all have spare shoulders from the G-Self, and the Impulse Gundam. While technically out of the UC timeline... I'm kinda hurting to find kits that even have "spare shoulders" which can fit the general Federation/GM Aesthetic. I considered the GM Sniper K9 and the Ez-SF, but as it turns out neither of those kits have spare shoulders. So, do you guys know any kits with spare shoulders that would fit a GM Sniper?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

chiasaur11 posted:

It aged like a fine wine.

Yeah! The deal is basically Syd Mead was an incredible designer and so making his concept into a real toy was easy and the MG still stands with modern ones even 13 years later.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
MG Turn A is one I'd like to build again sometime, because I was watching the show while I was building it, so instead of, idk, "enhancing the experience" I missed big chunks of the subbed dialogue and don't remember much about the build

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Just in case anybody is looking US PBandai has put up some F90 preorders a couple days ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My HGUC Gerbera Tetra and Turn-A arrived quick, not sure which one to start with.

Did some basic panel-lining on ym Grimoire. It's incredible how such as simple detail seems to add a lot. What are good colors for darker parts? I only got black, gray and red markers but could get more for cheap.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah! The deal is basically Syd Mead was an incredible designer and so making his concept into a real toy was easy and the MG still stands with modern ones even 13 years later.

It's amazing what small considerations like "How can I make it's legs fully bend" and "How can I keep this robot armored while still alowing torso movement" will do to a final design

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Still trying to determine which kits have spare shoulders to give to my GM Sniper II

But this also arrived today! The Gun Sniper Leena is my favourite machine ever, and is the reason I am into mecha.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heads up, if you guys like those Power Rangers Minipla deals and there's a Barnes and Noble near you, it might be worth taking a peek inside. At my local B&N they had them in the clearance section, 15 bucks for the one that looks like a castle and 25 for the big white bird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

Still trying to determine which kits have spare shoulders to give to my GM Sniper II

But this also arrived today! The Gun Sniper Leena is my favourite machine ever, and is the reason I am into mecha.

The Liger Zero Panzer is the superior More-Dakka Zoid :orks101:.

The Gun Sniper Leena is a close second and a kit I also have. It's a really good build and you're gonna enjoy it. My favourite touch is the shopping basket full of random munitions :allears:.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Gun Sniper Leena is a close second and a kit I also have. It's a really good build and you're gonna enjoy it. My favourite touch is the shopping basket full of random munitions :allears:.

Leena just loved guns so much

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh trust me, I'm ALSO getting the Panzer.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
God damnit why does the decaling on the Wing Zero Custom Ver Ka (say it 10 times fast) have go outside of the building order :argh:

I mean, I want to ignore the decals, but they really do add a little extra something to the kit.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 28, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

About half a year ago I made a video about Diaclone and posted it here.

I've now made a second one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyUpWBDQw0

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Whoever designed the tubing build/runners for the MG Zaku should be fired into the sun. Or forced to make these things forever.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Droyer posted:

About half a year ago I made a video about Diaclone and posted it here.

I've now made a second one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyUpWBDQw0

Thanks for this.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

RoyalScion posted:

Whoever designed the tubing build/runners for the MG Zaku should be fired into the sun. Or forced to make these things forever.

Me the first time looking at them in the runners: ‘Oh, that’s a neat piece of engineering! Looks like it will be easy to assemble. Looking forward to it.’ 😀

Me actually assembling the hose parts: ‘What kind of torture device is this?! Why do I have loving blisters on my fingers from building a plastic toy??!’ 😱

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just trying to teach you that Zeon are the bad guys.

Not the best teachers, mind you.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking of some crappy engineering I'm pretty much finished the Kotobukiya jehuty and this is one of the most annoying kits I have had to deal with in a while. Seam lines everywhere, including areas in which I am surprised that there's seam lines and had to glue a ton of parts together after they didn't fit after painting, also parts inexpicility breaking after doing my first disassembly. I'll take some pictures of it once I get my new phone.

The only reason I got this thing is because Jehuty is awesome. I have anubis and I'm hoping it's a bit better, but man, Bandai is the top selling model kit maker for a reason.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 1, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'll eventually finish gluing my VF-31 Battloid together and hate post about that kit; it's a Tomytec.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can never get over calling Macross robots Battloids. It's one of the rare places where I think using the Japanese r sound instead of the l sound is better for the translation. Battroid is fine. Conversely the early Ocean dubs pronouncing Kycilia as Kshyria is wrong to my ear.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They are Battroids I refuse to accept any other version.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

I'll eventually finish gluing my VF-31 Battloid together and hate post about that kit; it's a Tomytec.

I built a couple of the VF-1a kits a few years ago, is the VF-31 that bad?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Queadlunn posted:

I built a couple of the VF-1a kits a few years ago, is the VF-31 that bad?

From this manufacturer, yes. I'll stick with Bandai and Hasegawa unless I see reviews of completed kits.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Speaking of some crappy engineering I'm pretty much finished the Kotobukiya jehuty and this is one of the most annoying kits I have had to deal with in a while. Seam lines everywhere, including areas in which I am surprised that there's seam lines and had to glue a ton of parts together after they didn't fit after painting, also parts inexpicility breaking after doing my first disassembly. I'll take some pictures of it once I get my new phone.

The only reason I got this thing is because Jehuty is awesome. I have anubis and I'm hoping it's a bit better, but man, Bandai is the top selling model kit maker for a reason.

Sounds like a kotobukiya kit honestly. They're trying but holy poo poo are they behind bandai

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Some Koto kits are good though, I have the GodIlla x Evangelion kit and it was a lot better than the HG Bandai kits (though they are super old and fall into the old HG pitfalls)

Doesn't hold a candle to the RG ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Kotobukiya feel like they're always a decade or so behind Bandai in terms of production. However, I prefer the licenses they have and their original designs over most of Bandai's output! You just gotta be prepared to basically paint everything.

Speaking of Kotobukiya, I just got three more kits of theirs after months of waiting for stock to come in...