Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Rytheric posted:

This is a problem I kind of also have. I tend to tip 50% or 100% if it's a cheap place. And I use to give people money uncontrollably until Dave Ramsey suggested I limit it to 10%. And that worked out for a bit the last two years.

for future reference, a seller trying to pull a fast one on you, potentially very illegal one at that, isn’t being “a nice chap” and absolutely doesn’t deserve an extra $500 for how they treated you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rytheric posted:

This is a problem I kind of also have. I tend to tip 50% or 100% if it's a cheap place. And I use to give people money uncontrollably until Dave Ramsey suggested I limit it to 10%. And that worked out for a bit the last two years.

Dave Ramsey's basic advice to stop blowing your money like an idiot is also available from numerous less cultish sources. It's good to learn not to do that, but you've only taken that one piece of advice to heart and in every other way your spending and saving habits are severely dysfunctional.

Just to continue on my previous post, another of your self-limiting weird convictions is the "never power tools" one. I get it, I'm a hobbyist woodworker, I enjoy restoring old hand planes and figuring out how to use a spokeshave. But I also own hearing protection and dust protection and eye protection, and taking 20 seconds to use a circular saw to break down a sheet of plywood is infinitely preferable to spending 30 minutes doing it with hand tools. And also gives much better results with less wastage. We're not at the point where you're actually working with that plywood yet, and based on my understanding of the current situation we won't be for a long time, so maybe it's premature to keep beating that particular horse; but it's just another place where you have something that would be reasonable as a preference but becomes unreasonable as a hard conviction. I prefer to use hand tools, but I'll use power tools where doing so is the most reasonable use of my time and resources, gives me the best results I want, or is otherwise just the right way to do it.

See also: having a generator, at least as an emergency backup; having indoor toilet, perhaps mitigating whatever irrational squeamishness you have about it being indoors by installing really good ventilation and making heavy use of the lysol; being willing to use a bank, which is literally no different from using a brokerage for my stock trading (banks and brokerages are similarly well regulated, similarly large lovely companies, etc, and actually a local credit union is the best banking choice and is a lot less giant lovely corp than any brokerage you could possibly be using); it goes on and on.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Leperflesh posted:

And since we're on the subject of the heating efficiency fixation anyway, your logic isn't even logical. Producing the heating energy for your tiny home via any method you can on-site, be it solar, generator, running the truck engine, etc. are all far less efficient than taking electricity off the grid the way a properly built home structure does. Electric power plants have economies of scale that give massive efficiency advantages compared to doing something on a tiny scale. Yes, you can catch up sorta, if you do an earthship (but you're not doing an earthship), or if you have geothermal (but you're not doing geothermal), those are irrelevant to your actual plans of insulating a box truck and then living inside it, which will never ever be as energy efficient as any of the above.

I only used 2kw max a day in the winter to heat the GroverTruk which would be less if I had my French doors installed rather than plywood and a plastic sheet. The 2kw would be more than supplied by the reminder of the electric system I had been holding off of purchasing until I bought the land of MurderHaus. I may buy it after the suspension, but I don't need it now that it's warmer.

I wanted to try to passively heat the GroverTruk as much as possible. My body heat alone raises the temperature in it 10 degrees. 15 degrees if I turn on my electric blanket. My 800w space heater with me in it raises the temperature about 30. I'm interest as to what can be achieved once its properly sealed..

I was keen on someone giving me input on how to get the murderhaus to passive heating. I may have to track the post down when it comes the time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

I was keen on someone giving me input on how to get the murderhaus to passive heating. I may have to track the post down when it comes the time.
Step 1) don't use timber framing.

Has anyone mentioned earth bag construction yet? It might be right up your alley.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthbag_construction

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Leperflesh posted:

Just to continue on my previous post, another of your self-limiting weird convictions is the "never power tools" one. I get it, I'm a hobbyist woodworker, I enjoy restoring old hand planes and figuring out how to use a spokeshave. But I also own hearing protection and dust protection and eye protection, and taking 20 seconds to use a circular saw to break down a sheet of plywood is infinitely preferable to spending 30 minutes doing it with hand tools. And also gives much better results with less wastage. We're not at the point where you're actually working with that plywood yet, and based on my understanding of the current situation we won't be for a long time, so maybe it's premature to keep beating that particular horse; but it's just another place where you have something that would be reasonable as a preference but becomes unreasonable as a hard conviction. I prefer to use hand tools, but I'll use power tools where doing so is the most reasonable use of my time and resources, gives me the best results I want, or is otherwise just the right way to do it.

See also: having a generator, at least as an emergency backup.

I hate working with plywood. I have as much as possible precut when I buy it from lowes or home depot. Then make adjustments with handtools.

GroverTruk is my back up generator even if the alternator is weak sauce. We are working on making that safer. GroverTruk has an emergency exhaust appointment tomorrow.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Well, you already framed out and insulated the walls before caulking the interior joints, so you're gonna have to teach yourself how to do it neatly on the exterior of the truck.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Have you insulated the roof or floor yet

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

I hate working with plywood. I have as much as possible precut when I buy it from lowes or home depot.

Doesn't it cost like $5 per cut?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

nah first cut is free.. anything after that is still cheap, they dont' guarantee precision tho

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Usually you get like 2 free cuts, then yeah it's $5 or so a cut.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Also, I can just picture Ry telling the home depot wage slave cutting his plywood, "3 feet, 5 and 53/64ths inches."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rytheric posted:

I wanted to try to passively heat the GroverTruk as much as possible.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. You say what you want - passive heating, via excellent insulation - but that specific want is dominating too many other factors. You could have bought a much more suitable vehicle if it wasn't for this one want.

The right way to approach a project like this (or any project) is to understand all the factors and make compromises between all of them that lead you down a path of less cost, effort, and reasonable results. Instead of focusing on a single factor and allowing that to lead you into a lot of very suboptimal other decisions, like using a box truck as your platform, not owning a generator for backup emergency power, and having an unheated home, and living in an unheated truck during winter because the project is made so much more complicated by this one driving factor.

Rytheric posted:

I hate working with plywood. I have as much as possible precut when I buy it from lowes or home depot. Then make adjustments with handtools.

If you are making like, a table, or a small project, the people at Home Depot will be willing to make a cut or two on one sheet of plywood. If you are constructing an actual building, and making your own sandwiches of foam and ply, the people at Home Depot are not willing to cut down a couple dozen sheets of ply to your specs for you.

I don't love working with plywood either, but "I don't like it" doesn't have to lead to "and therefore, never."

quote:

GroverTruk is my back up generator even if the alternator is weak sauce. We are working on making that safer. GroverTruk has an emergency exhaust appointment tomorrow.

No, see, even with the exhaust routed properly, you should still never run the engine for an extended period while occupying the cargo area. You 100% should get the exhaust routed properly, but, you will still be taking an unreasonably high risk of poisoning yourself if you run the engine while you're in the back.

And this is what I'm saying! A used generator is what, $500 or so? You don't like the noise, fine, don't use it mostly, and just put up with the noise on the occasional times that you use it!

Except don't, because, this truck, is never, ever, going to be, a good place to live in, ever.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Experimenting with a passively heated box truck is something you can do when you have a stable living situation.

When you are living in that box truck is not a stable living situation.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What sounds ZuargGroverTruk, or GroverZuargTruk? Or just ZuargTruk? I hope this is Zuarg really really trolling us.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had mentioned passive heating. It's a very simple idea. You insulate and seal so well that heat simply doesn't have an avenue to escape. Murderhaus or GroverTruk are both so small that the upcharge in materials should be achievable with someone of modest income like yourself. But the first step to being serious about it is to stop acting like blowing $2000 on a telescope is not that big a deal. That could have been a decent chunk. You need money to afford the differences between an efficient house and a passive one.

Also maybe take some seminars/classes/courses in construction technology and start getting certified to do it yourself. Passive house design isn't an introductory thing. You need a baseline of knowledge.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Needing to seal the back to keep it warm (which is never gonna loving happen with FRENCH DOORS and NO PROPER REAR DOOR) is incompatible with the need to keep it well ventilated to NOT DIE FROM EXHAUST GASSES

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

beep-beep car is go posted:

Usually you get like 2 free cuts, then yeah it's $5 or so a cut.

But then you have to account for the $5 tip per cut

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is worse than I thought and I already thought all of this was a trainwreck of burning dumpsters

Salvaged title, odo wound back... is this truck even registered / insured?????

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think this thread needs to be closed. Its clear anything negative is just brushed away and anything positive, however tiny or sarcastic is grasped upon as encouragement to keep going down this path. There is no net benefit to both the OP or anyone posting in this for it to continue. Its just going to be used as validation for the bizarre decisions being made until something horrific happens.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is worse than I thought and I already thought all of this was a trainwreck of burning dumpsters

Salvaged title, odo wound back... is this truck even registered / insured?????

Yes. Yes it is. Lol.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

serious gaylord posted:

I think this thread needs to be closed. Its clear anything negative is just brushed away and anything positive, however tiny or sarcastic is grasped upon as encouragement to keep going down this path. There is no net benefit to both the OP or anyone posting in this for it to continue. Its just going to be used as validation for the bizarre decisions being made until something horrific happens.

Nah I'm actually making substantial changes from the advise and it's been helpful.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

List of things that have changed since joining the thread:
1. Didn't just give the land of MurderHaus owner the cash.
2. Didn't spend $4000 on permitting as intended without locking in a price which couldn't happen due to a lack of knowledge of a lien.
3. Is getting exhaust fixed.
4. Is getting suspension professionally fixed.
5. Bolted down seats.
6. Didn't go on $500 date.
7. Got other parts to finish interior of GroverTruk.
8. Stopped spending mad on other things.
9. Quantified the risks of co
10. Quantified my absurd salt intake.
11. Did not light a fire in the box truck
Probably more but you get the point. Despite the bickering things are improving.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rytheric posted:

List of things that have changed since joining the thread:
1. Didn't just give the land of MurderHaus owner the cash.
2. Didn't spend $4000 on permitting as intended without locking in a price which couldn't happen due to a lack of knowledge of a lien.
3. Is getting exhaust fixed.
4. Is getting suspension professionally fixed.
5. Bolted down seats.
6. Didn't go on $500 date.
7. Got other parts to finish interior of GroverTruk.
8. Stopped spending mad on other things.
9. Quantified the risks of co
10. Quantified my absurd salt intake.
11. Did not light a fire in the box truck
Probably more but you get the point. Despite the bickering things are improving.

Goonspeed, Ry. You're a stubborn gently caress, but that's a quality I admire sometimes. If you actually take the good advice here you're going to be okay. That's a big if though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm genuinely glad you're improving things based on feedback, Rytheric. The current consensus seems to be that this truck specifically, is a boondoggle you should be willing to let go of; and, you should probably be renting a home with a kitchen; and, you should stop taking financial advice from your boss (or Dave Ramsey); so expect to continue to get yelled at about those things. But yeah you do seem to be willing to, eventually, sometimes change your plans, and that should be acknowledged.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

we should stop calling the truk GroverTruk and just call it RyTruck

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Space Kablooey posted:

RyTruk: Ryder Die

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

Well, you already framed out and insulated the walls before caulking the interior joints, so you're gonna have to teach yourself how to do it neatly on the exterior of the truck.

Yeah once I get the floor in I need to caulk it from the outside else water may seep under the sills and get trapped there.

Edit: I also need to caulk and screen the joints so bees don't invade the reflectix airgaps.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Space Kablooey posted:

Concur. This is not a derivative work.

This cannot be compared to any other goon project, any more than the Sistine Chapel can be compared to its painted ceiling.

edit:

This is the most dangerous box truck since Tim Mcveigh.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 2, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It sounds like selling that truck would be a huge pain in the rear end given it's history. I say Ry doesn't have too much to lose converting it/repairing it. It's not the most practical financial decision, but it's also not going to kill him like some of his other ideas.

You all aren't here because this guy is practical, so stop trying to steer him that way.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

um excuse me posted:

It sounds like selling that truck would be a huge pain in the rear end given it's history. I say Ry doesn't have too much to lose converting it/repairing it. It's not the most practical financial decision, but it's also not going to kill him like some of his other ideas.

You all aren't here because this guy is practical, so stop trying to steer him that way.

If it started, stopped and steered that would be one thing. Currently it won't idle and the suspension is rashed. It can be fixed yes, but in the end he'll have dropped thousands on a truck at AT BEST is worth a couple hundo. Not very Dave Ramsey.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Leperflesh posted:

I'm genuinely glad you're improving things based on feedback, Rytheric. The current consensus seems to be that this truck specifically, is a boondoggle you should be willing to let go of; and, you should probably be renting a home with a kitchen; and, you should stop taking financial advice from your boss (or Dave Ramsey); so expect to continue to get yelled at about those things. But yeah you do seem to be willing to, eventually, sometimes change your plans, and that should be acknowledged.

if he was actually ramseying he would be better off tbh

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Spookydonut posted:

Needing to seal the back to keep it warm (which is never gonna loving happen with FRENCH DOORS and NO PROPER REAR DOOR) is incompatible with the need to keep it well ventilated to NOT DIE FROM EXHAUST GASSES

Alright, this thread is a lot to digest --- much like Ry's diet of 18 loving pieces of fried chicken a day, plus mac & cheese, plus all the biscuits that come with those buckets. So I'm a little confused as to the design here, after Spooky here mentioned NO PROPER REAR DOOR.

The French doors are going where the old roll-up back door used to be, I got that right? So the only thing keeping the truk safe from illegal entry is a bunch of glass. And I assume French door glass isn't like auto glass, which takes a bit of effort to break?

What's to stop a thief, or even just some random drunk/meth'ed-up hooligan, from breaking the panel nearest the handle with a convenient rock the size of a baseball, and getting in?

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Rytheric posted:

Yeah once I get the floor in I need to caulk it from the outside else water may seep under the sills and get trapped there.

Edit: I also need to caulk and screen the joints so bees don't invade the reflectix airgaps.

I know you're not a big RV fan for *reasons*, but have you considered checking out an RV salvage yard for some conversion parts/pieces? I helped a friend convert a bus to a skoolie, and he saved himself a lot of time by getting some components and pieces from an RV salvage yard. At the very least you might find a cool retractable awning, or something.

Also I will just say to pick and choose ideas from Dave Ramsey. His advice can be impractical, and I'll be damned if I'll take a lot of money advice from some guy that went bankrupt due to real estate speculation in the 80s. He also leans heavily on religious ideas and the guilt behind them, which has no place in money management imo. Be wary of the man that owns 100 cars that would shame you for buying a bicycle.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
God help me, let me get serious just this once:

If Ry won’t budge on the truck, then maybe we can meet him where he is, acknowledging that it’s sub-optimal, and propose however the truck situation can best be salvaged.

His presenting request to the thread isn’t “give me the blueprint for optimal homelessness so I can start over from scratch” — it’s “I have this land and this truck and I want to make it work”

The land and the truck might suck, but if we go from a place of accepting that they are not negotiable to him, I’m guessing there’s a way to make them at the very least not kill him.

We can’t treat him. We can’t change him.

It is a waste of time to try to convince him to make a radical change to embrace your functional goon vision of practical homelessness.

It’s potentially constructive to offer achievable suggestions toward making *his* vision of cool guy homelessness less bonkers/perilous.

:goonsay:

Source: my state license to practice clinical mental health therapy

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

If it started, stopped and steered that would be one thing. Currently it won't idle and the suspension is rashed. It can be fixed yes, but in the end he'll have dropped thousands on a truck at AT BEST is worth a couple hundo. Not very Dave Ramsey.

It idles by itself. Or if I throw it in neutral at a stop light. Like one said it's likely the torque converter

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I say Ry doesn't have too much to lose converting it/repairing it.

It's still an unsafe vehicle, being made even less safe as more weight is put on it because the suspension is completely shot based on the pictures provided. He's even removed the front....what does he call it? bouncy bar? (it's a sway bar) to make matters worse. And that's what we can see from the pictures. What he's mentioned is that it runs poorly/stalls at stoplights which smells a lot like a trans problem (TCC solenoid is the absolutely best case dream scenario here, trans coming out is more likely). We know it has exhaust problems. How are the brakes? Tires? Bearings? Cooling system?

It's an end of service life box truck that was all used up, literally bought as scrap and "repaired".

And what exactly do you do then when it needs work done at a shop? A truck that you live in. That is your only vehicle. That doesn't even have a rear door.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I have personally put twice what a car is worth into it and will likely be putting just as much into it in the future. You'll have a hard time convincing me with that argument.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Okay fine. I'll stop giving you poo poo about the truck.

I still think you should sell/send back the telescope.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I have personally put twice what a car is worth into it and will likely be putting just as much into it in the future. You'll have a hard time convincing me with that argument.

Important question: was it your only car as well as your only residence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Alright, this thread is a lot to digest --- much like Ry's diet of 18 loving pieces of fried chicken a day, plus mac & cheese, plus all the biscuits that come with those buckets. So I'm a little confused as to the design here, after Spooky here mentioned NO PROPER REAR DOOR.

The French doors are going where the old roll-up back door used to be, I got that right? So the only thing keeping the truk safe from illegal entry is a bunch of glass. And I assume French door glass isn't like auto glass, which takes a bit of effort to break?

What's to stop a thief, or even just some random drunk/meth'ed-up hooligan, from breaking the panel nearest the handle with a convenient rock the size of a baseball, and getting in?

The fench doors are going where the current plywood door is. The end will have a screen door.