Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

hbag posted:

and yet somehow i still dont have a flat stomach

its called skinny fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

its called skinny fat

Lol if you aren't strong fat. The one true body type.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Saalkin posted:

Lol if you aren't strong fat. The one true body type.

if thats what peak performance looks like then we can shut all these gyms down then

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omnikin posted:

NYS is getting their poo poo DONE right now

It’s bonkers. I live in NY and work in MA and I’m going to have both shots down before anyone I work with even gets scheduled for their first.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sjs00 posted:

its called skinny fat

Does anyone know of good sources of research on this? From what I can see at a glance, people claim it carries all the same health risks of being obese without actually looking like it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

teen witch posted:

Dolly Parton did more than the vast majority of 1%ers and politicians regarding this pandemic, and childhood literacy. I’m not loving kidding.

I'd vote for her for any office she cared to run for, no hesitation. She's a genuinely capable person.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Omnikin posted:

Apparently a bunch of retired & current database manager types that my boss has an in with. I think they're just NYS based and have been working within the appointment system for the last month to help get people appointments since they've been a little tough to get a good match for. My wife was part of the first groups as a peace officer & the appointment she was able to book was about 2.5hrs away & three weeks later; the vol group was able to snag her a slot at the local college about ten days out.

My boss sent me this yesterday after the volunteers were able to book, rebook & rebook my appointment within an hour or two with the spot/time getting progressively better every time.

It's crazy how much quicker you can get an appointment if you're good at computers. I was able to take my parents from May 13th to March 14th by f5'ing intermittently throughout the day.

I'm happy for them, but I feel bad for anyone without the time/knowledge to do it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There was an SNL skit where an old man was supposed to get the vaccine and they were like 'just go online and register' and the poor old gently caress couldn't do it and they were like 'do you have a young relative nearby' and he said no, because he was alone

I'm sure that's actually pretty dang typical

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
pretty much everyone I know who wanted a vaccine enough to hunt one down has had one at this point or is scheduled in the next <3 weeks

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

SchnorkIes posted:

pretty much everyone I know who wanted a vaccine enough to hunt one down has had one at this point or is scheduled in the next <3 weeks

I started a job that qualifies for vaccination in my state (AL) on 3/1 and was able to book a first dose beforehand for 3/17, gotta drive 90 minutes to bumfuck nowhere to do it but it's worth it. Hoping it's Moderna Pfizer for the shorter window between doses

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

zgrowler2 posted:

I started a job that qualifies for vaccination in my state (AL) on 3/1 and was able to book a first dose beforehand for 3/17, gotta drive 90 minutes to bumfuck nowhere to do it but it's worth it. Hoping it's Moderna for the shorter window between doses

moderna is the longer window

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

SchnorkIes posted:

moderna is the longer window

welp, thank you for the correction

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Omnikin posted:

Apparently a bunch of retired & current database manager types that my boss has an in with. I think they're just NYS based and have been working within the appointment system for the last month to help get people appointments since they've been a little tough to get a good match for. My wife was part of the first groups as a peace officer & the appointment she was able to book was about 2.5hrs away & three weeks later; the vol group was able to snag her a slot at the local college about ten days out.

My boss sent me this yesterday after the volunteers were able to book, rebook & rebook my appointment within an hour or two with the spot/time getting progressively better every time.

Yeah I would keep looking for better and closer timeslots if you can. Worst case scenario you keep the one you have

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just scheduled my first shot :toot:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Got my first shot on monday, yesterday my arm stung slightly and maybe very minor nausea in the morning but over all pretty alright. The pain is still there but super minor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just got Phizer #2 about an hour and a half ago. The actual poke was surprisingly quick and I don’t feel any soreness or malaise at all, so I’m a little paranoid that maybe they did it wrong.

When is the second-dose discomfort I keep hearing about supposed to kick in?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

I just got Phizer #2 about an hour and a half ago. The actual poke was surprisingly quick and I don’t feel any soreness or malaise at all, so I’m a little paranoid that maybe they did it wrong.

When is the second-dose discomfort I keep hearing about supposed to kick in?

My first dose took a few hours to kick my rear end. I got it at 230 and was fine til like...7-8 pm, I think? Your cells have to make the protein bits and then your immune system has to go “MURDER IT!!!” before you start feeling anything, it takes time.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

One of you Americans wanna sneak me a vaccine across the border? I'll pay you in poutine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

devicenull posted:

It's crazy how much quicker you can get an appointment if you're good at computers. I was able to take my parents from May 13th to March 14th by f5'ing intermittently throughout the day.

I'm happy for them, but I feel bad for anyone without the time/knowledge to do it.

You really should’ve used the Distill add-on I mentioned earlier to do this instead. It does all the F5’ing for you every 5 seconds and alerts you by text message/playing a sound whenever your signup page of choice updates with open slots.

The only thing is you have to keep your computer on and running 24/7 until you get an appointment, but that shouldn’t be a problem for most people. Just go into your Settings and make sure they’re set so the machine won’t automatically turn off or go into sleep mode at all. Also if you set it to alert you by text, you’ll want to turn your phone’s Do Not Disturb mode off so you can hear it if it texts you at night (or whatever other time period your DND mode is set for).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 3, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

You really should’ve used the Distill add-on I mentioned earlier to do this instead. It does all the F5’ing for you every 5 seconds and alerts you by text message/playing a sound whenever your signup page of choice updates with open slots.

The only thing is you have to keep your computer on and running 24/7 until you get an appointment, but that shouldn’t be a problem for most people. Just go into your Settings and make sure they’re set so the machine won’t automatically turn off or go into sleep mode at all. Also if you set it to alert you by text, you’ll want to turn your phone’s Do Not Disturb mode off so you can hear it if it texts you at night (or whatever other time period your DND mode is set for).

I actually just used urlwatch to let me know when the page changed, and then f5'd to look for appointments - For the place they're getting them, they seem to have tons of cancellations throughout the day, so just knowing the page changed wouldn't have been that helpful.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
My 80+ parents got their second Pfizer shots. No symptoms aside from minor itching at the site so far.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Okay. My dad has a criminal trial on the 18th (life on fire~) and I may have to shelter my mom if he ends up in jail. I'm literally the only person who can or will help her, so I'm scheduling for the 20th. That way, we'll know if she has to come here or not and what's going on with all that and if I have a reaction, my neighbors will bring her meds and food while she kicks me through the vaccine (worst case scenario).

And if I don't end up responsible for her, still cool, I can still do it on the 20th.

Kroger has Moderna here so I'm gonna go for that. Hi5 all jabby goons. Let's get vaxxed.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I recall a news article from earlier in the pandemic that people with low Vitamin D seemed to have worse symptoms with COVID. I don’t know if that’s still the case, but it got me wondering - would this also affect the reaction to the vaccine?
For the goons that have had somewhat bad reactions to the vaccine, do you have “normal” vitamin D levels/take vitamin D supplements/spend time in the sun?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kragger99 posted:

goons . . . spend time in the sun?

lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

if you live or work in NYC, http://turbovax.info or twitter@turbovax is the hot ticket for finding slots. I've booked 9 people through this so far

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kragger99 posted:

I recall a news article from earlier in the pandemic that people with low Vitamin D seemed to have worse symptoms with COVID. I don’t know if that’s still the case, but it got me wondering - would this also affect the reaction to the vaccine?
For the goons that have had somewhat bad reactions to the vaccine, do you have “normal” vitamin D levels/take vitamin D supplements/spend time in the sun?

I've been good about taking a multivitamin for that reason and drink a lot of milk, so I assume my vitamin D levels are good. I had pretty rough vaccine side effects, but I'm not sure how the vitamin D would work into the equation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I am consistently low on Vitamin D. They had me on like 50,000 UIs a week prescription. After that I started taking like 3,000 a day OTC. I stopped taking it lately but I guess I should start again.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been good about taking a multivitamin for that reason and drink a lot of milk, so I assume my vitamin D levels are good. I had pretty rough vaccine side effects, but I'm not sure how the vitamin D would work into the equation.

Not necessarily. I am not a doctor, but I was diagnosed with abnormally low vitamin D levels when I lived in Florida and got plenty of sun, and the only thing that's helped was taking mega doses under the supervision of my doctor. It took 15000 IU/ day supplementation to bring my levels to normal. Right now in the US the recommended daily amount is 600 IU a day for most adults.

So just saying if people have a deficiency, normal supplement amounts may not help.

And yeah I've been slacking on my supplements too...

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I’ve been taking 5,000iu of vit D and 2,000mg of vit C daily since about May of last year. I don’t know what my levels have been like, but living in Oregon I know for sure that I haven’t been getting enough vitamin D from sunlight alone.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Any advice on overcoming anxiety and fear of needles?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Xanax.

And honestly, looking away. I've been poked with needles literally like 100 times. I still don't like it. I hate it. But I look away and hold my breath. They always tell you "Ok it's coming now" so you know when it will happen. Just hold your breath and let them do their thing. I hold my breath, tense up which you probably shouldn't do but whatever, and let them poke me. You WILL survive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spend the whole time making small talk with the person in the room who isn't giving you the injection. If there's only one person in the room, busy yourself with memorising everything on the wall opposite the arm that's getting jabbed.

If you focus your attention somewhere else, you won't notice it until after it's over.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I always hated shots until I got about a gazillion allergy shots, but I still hate it when they tell me there will be a pinch. I'm trying not to focus on it, dingus!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just think pleasant thoughts of a porcupine rampage in a balloon store.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i had to get allergy shots weekly as a child, and have donated gallons of blood. shots are incredibly easy, especially with the tiny needle. don't tense up, that will only make it sting more. don't look if you don't want to, focus on your breathing and it's over in moments

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm jealous of these places where you can just sign up to get the shot that we were told would take years to make back in March of 2020. I'm in WA and our phases are still doing the Olds and there's just a big ol shrug about when the rest of us plebs can get it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

Any advice on overcoming anxiety and fear of needles?

Dunno if it makes you feel any better but the needle for this is freakin tiny. I didn’t even feel it go in

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bape Culture posted:

Dunno if it makes you feel any better but the needle for this is freakin tiny. I didn’t even feel it go in

Ditto, this was the easiest shot I've ever had as an adult.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

I mean it does. It's been so long since I've had to get a shot for anything that I can't even remember what it feels like and it builds up as so much worse in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah same here.

Also my arm is feeling sore now so I guess my shot wasn’t hosed up after all.