Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

keep in mind Anno is on record as saying the title is entirely because he thought it sounded complicated

To go further, Anno was into the name "Alcion" but Sadamoto said that you need hard consonants to sound cool and Evangelion came from that or maybe him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

To go further, Anno was into the name "Alcion" but Sadamoto said that you need hard consonants to sound cool and Evangelion came from that or maybe him.

Does that mean it's pronounced Evan JELL ion

I like how I try to pronounce it the other way despite all other "EVANG" words having the J-sounding G.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does that mean it's pronounced Evan JELL ion

I like how I try to pronounce it the other way despite all other "EVANG" words having the J-sounding G.

It's a hard G.

I think it's more that in Japanese you'd have something melty sounding with "A-ru-shi-on" as opposed to "E-ban-ge-ri-on".

Shame all who say Evanjellyon since it's literally wrong anyway.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 5, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is there a succint video explaining the lore of the rebuild movies?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spermando posted:

what lore

there's like a couple cryptic sentences and what you see on the screen. Rebuild is basically just different enough from TV Eva that all the extra-canonical stuff authorized by Gainax over the years can't be reconciled with it, and otherwise it explains nothing. it has anti-lore

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Spermando posted:

I literally haven't bothered the past decade and wouldn't theorise or listen to anything until the final film is actually out on home video.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what lore

there's like a couple cryptic sentences and what you see on the screen. Rebuild is basically just different enough from TV Eva that all the extra-canonical stuff authorized by Gainax over the years can't be reconciled with it, and otherwise it explains nothing. it has anti-lore

I mean, something that explains what's going on at the end of 3. The angel rankings and all that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Angel rankings go like this:

A tier:
The big diamond guy
the guy with the spaghetti arms
the nanocomputer one
the one that takes over the evangelion
the one in episode 1
the one that falls out of the sky like a bomb
the dirac sea one

B tier:
the big ring one that makes a weird sound when it breaks apart and attacks
the angelic one that causes asuka's mental breakdown
gaghiel the big sea monster one

C tier:
the purple one in the episode where shinji's friends get in the entry plug
the spider one that spews acid
the one that splits in half (though the episode its in is super good)
the one in the volcano

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SHISHKABOB posted:

Angel rankings go like this:

A tier:
The big diamond guy
the guy with the spaghetti arms
the nanocomputer one
the one that takes over the evangelion
the one in episode 1
the one that falls out of the sky like a bomb
the dirac sea one

B tier:
the big ring one that makes a weird sound when it breaks apart and attacks
the angelic one that causes asuka's mental breakdown
gaghiel the big sea monster one

C tier:
the purple one in the episode where shinji's friends get in the entry plug
the spider one that spews acid
the one that splits in half (though the episode its in is super good)
the one in the volcano
stop trolling me

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TenementFunster posted:

stop trolling me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This got brought up over in RGD when I mentioned NGE and Tiffany Grant being really really attached to her role as Asuka, but can someone here detail what exactly is up with Amanda Winn Lee being considered "crazy"? I saw she was pretty outspoken about the localization changes Netflix did when they got their hands on the show but a lot of the other stuff that came up in my search was your usual hyperbolic youtube video titles that make me question their validity.

What's her deal, exactly?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Arcsquad12 posted:

This got brought up over in RGD when I mentioned NGE and Tiffany Grant being really really attached to her role as Asuka, but can someone here detail what exactly is up with Amanda Winn Lee being considered "crazy"? I saw she was pretty outspoken about the localization changes Netflix did when they got their hands on the show but a lot of the other stuff that came up in my search was your usual hyperbolic youtube video titles that make me question their validity.

She's not, from my understanding. Just outspoken about hating conservatives and Vic Mignona. So she's constantly attracting the worst types.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spermando posted:

I mean, something that explains what's going on at the end of 3. The angel rankings and all that.

what happens at the end of Rebuild 3 is that the one person who was 100% sure they had it all figured out ropes Shinji into a big plan of his, and then realizes he was wrong about everything and his head explodes and he dies

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some people are still salty about some of her suggested dub changes to EoE (squish sounds and HIT EM AGAIN) but she's pretty cool, and incredibly sassy to Vic people that tend to harass her online

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MechaX posted:

Some people are still salty about some of her suggested dub changes to EoE (squish sounds and HIT EM AGAIN) but she's pretty cool, and incredibly sassy to Vic people that tend to harass her online

What people don't like the Smuckers Jam sound effects for people getting pulped by machine guns and slumping along the wall?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People who really really take themselves to seriously

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arcsquad12 posted:

What people don't like the Smuckers Jam sound effects for people getting pulped by machine guns and slumping along the wall?
I hate it!

There's also some hate due to the general looseness of the dubfolk during the director's commentary.

"Yeah this scene dragged so I decided Asuka should say "stuff my strawberry schnitzel" here lol!"

This scene is especially unique, as Shinji knows it's an empty grave but also the closest he gets to his mothe-- LAWL LOOK THE SHADOW IS A GIANT DIIIIIIIIIICK

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I hate it!

There's also some hate due to the general looseness of the dubfolk during the director's commentary.

"Yeah this scene dragged so I decided Asuka should say "stuff my strawberry schnitzel" here lol!"

This scene is especially unique, as Shinji knows it's an empty grave but also the closest he gets to his mothe-- LAWL LOOK THE SHADOW IS A GIANT DIIIIIIIIIICK

That sounds great, I need to watch these commentaries.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FilthyImp posted:

I hate it!

See that stuff sounds great. I miss 90s dubbing when ADV went hog wild buying up licenses and doing what they wanted. It sounds like they had a ton of fun doing it which makes the no fun allowed Khara direct translations stilted.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I hate it!

I heard some of the clunky uses of "gently caress" present in the dub were supposedly added at her request too.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Midjack posted:

I heard some of the clunky uses of "gently caress" present in the dub were supposedly added at her request too.

There are only two, if I recall, and both are good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

asuka is an angry teenager desperate to prove how adult she is, she would absolutely do the swears

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I believe it's limited to Shinji's infamous "I'm so hosed up", and Misato's "So loving what if I don't understand?" from EoE. I can't think of any others.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked Big Boss Asuka from the rebuild.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIOkSWHpHbk
...or is it?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Part of Lee’s reputation also comes from the fact that she’s very much a creature of the 90’s era of anime fandom and particularly con culture, where anime cons were much smaller more intimate affairs where the guests would usually just hang out at the con like everybody else if they weren’t doing a meet &greet or hosting a panel, and Lee in particular was known to be a real force of nature at hotel room parties. Real fun but pissed off the particular kind of nerd who insists that everyone working on the thing they like needs to hold a certain amount of Reverent Deference for it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

if amazon drops 3.0+1.0 on Prime with English subs on March 8th I will personally drive down to Alabama and punch every union organizer I can find in the face

I'm kidding. unions are good, gently caress amazon, maybe if NERV had a union they wouldn't have such a dreadful workplace safety record

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Part of Lee’s reputation also comes from the fact that she’s very much a creature of the 90’s era of anime fandom and particularly con culture, where anime cons were much smaller more intimate affairs where the guests would usually just hang out at the con like everybody else if they weren’t doing a meet &greet or hosting a panel, and Lee in particular was known to be a real force of nature at hotel room parties. Real fun but pissed off the particular kind of nerd who insists that everyone working on the thing they like needs to hold a certain amount of Reverent Deference for it.
yeah she rules, basically. from the era where voice actors were just some theater kid who had a cousin that worked at ADV or was did improv with somebody who knew somebody at Central Park Media. she absolutely knows what Miami Mike did at Dragon-Con '97.

Beefstew posted:

outspoken about hating Vic Mignona.
i didn't' know this, but lol hell yeah. i can't imagine how much poo poo she saw after attending the same cons as "The Fuhrer" for over twenty years. she'd be the Rally Vincent of my heart if I was ever enough of a casual to watch a loving dub.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

yeah she rules, basically. from the era where voice actors were just some theater kid who had a cousin that worked at ADV or was did improv with somebody who knew somebody at Central Park Media. she absolutely knows what Miami Mike did at Dragon-Con '97.

i didn't' know this, but lol hell yeah. i can't imagine how much poo poo she saw after attending the same cons as "The Fuhrer" for over twenty years. she'd be the Rally Vincent of my heart if I was ever enough of a casual to watch a loving dub.
She is harassed by Vic stans on a daily basis, and she hosted a roast of him at a con where she just shat on him in public for an hour straight.
She also does some advocacy poo poo for LGBTQ kids and also cancer charities.
And she has a Youtube show called "A Mom's Guide to Cannabis".
Rei loving rules.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Beefstew posted:

She is harassed by Vic stans on a daily basis, and she hosted a roast of him at a con where she just shat on him in public for an hour straight.
She also does some advocacy poo poo for LGBTQ kids and also cancer charities.
And she has a Youtube show called "A Mom's Guide to Cannabis".
Rei loving rules.
yeah, Megumi Hayashibara is preeminent female actor of her generation, and all that stuff Amanda Winn Lee did rules too.

i hate myself for even asking his, but how are there still Vic Mingona fans? they just care about the culture war aspect? no way people give this much of a poo poo about dub cretins

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

They're people who literally chose to Get All Offended at what went down with him bc algorithm poisoned dipshit fascist nerd world told them to, yeah.

Like I'm sure there's a tiny handful of diehards who were previously aware of his existence and into his stuff, but nobody invested in his defence will ever admit that for most of these freaks it really does begin and end at "well, I saw a video that said the sjws hate this guy for no reason, so he's obviously actually extremely good". Most easily grifted people in the world.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what happens at the end of Rebuild 3 is that the one person who was 100% sure they had it all figured out ropes Shinji into a big plan of his, and then realizes he was wrong about everything and his head explodes and he dies

I really was born to explode

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Who is vic mignona?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SHISHKABOB posted:

Who is vic mignona?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898015&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Who is vic mignona?

A sexpest who did a bunch of voice work in the last couple decades. In the Eva dub he was one of the computer guys in central dogma.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 6, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of voice actors, I remembered this thread of excerpts from a book by Rei's Japanese VA, which contains a few memories regarding Eva.
https://twitter.com/InazumaBuster/status/1366959808755208196?s=19

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Who is vic mignona?

dis astranagant posted:

A sexpest who did a bunch of voice work in the last couple decades. In the Eva dub he was one of the computer guys in central dogma.
If you're familiar with Full Metal Alchemist, he played the main character Edward Elric in the dub. It's a shame, since I really liked that performance.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Motto posted:

Speaking of voice actors, I remembered this thread of excerpts from a book by Rei's Japanese VA, which contains a few memories regarding Eva.
https://twitter.com/InazumaBuster/status/1366959808755208196?s=19
I like her take on the pilots in the next tweet too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

dis astranagant posted:

And his stans keep harping on about how they hope that he’ll be able to reprise his roles one day. Even if you could somehow put aside the numerous sex pest accusations, he likely burned every bridge that he had in the industry that was worth a poo poo with his legal shenanigans following his release/firing by Funimation and Rooster Teeth

His presence as Rohan in Diamond is Unbreakable is pretty much the only thing that marred what’s otherwise one of the best dubs I’ve seen in a while :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hayashibara is strongest in all the land