Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xebMupU6LE0

I could watch this all day long. When he started to do rebar, I was like, ok this is awesome.

Also, what job description do I need to search for to do this job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mattfl posted:

I could watch this all day long. When he started to do rebar, I was like, ok this is awesome.

Murder stairs.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

nielsm posted:

Murder stairs.

Lol I saw those and immediately thought someone was going to fall to their death there!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

mattfl posted:

Just Architectural model maker, I think.

That must be one heavy model.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

What's this from?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe they experience extreme distress. No time to mess with doors or go around walls. Got to go right from the stairs to the toilet with as few obstructions as possible. Seconds count.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

kid sinister posted:

What's this from?

Are You Afraid Of The Dark - Tale of the Dead Man's Float

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

What's this from?

From a lack of electricity for your monitor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

What's this from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoi3GuxiA7A

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

"This video contains content from Viacom and ViacomCBS, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Found this on my walk the other day.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kid sinister posted:

"This video contains content from Viacom and ViacomCBS, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
It's not the raw episode, but may still be of interest:
https://youtu.be/euXCmCQFqO8

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NNOooooo

At least they realise it is going to need washing I guess

edit: also an unfortunate price point :/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've been searching for single gang nailers, since apparently they're in short supply with COVID shortages, and I found this.

What the gently caress Carlon.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't get it.

On topic yeah they're hard to find I ended up going on some home store runs and picking up a few for a friend that was lookit for them a bit ago.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's lamp cord going into that box, absolutely not an approved in-wall wiring method.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elviscat posted:

That's lamp cord going into that box, absolutely not an approved in-wall wiring method.

I mean if we're being pedantic it also looks like the nail is in a predrilled hole.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to think of absolutely anything that sounds at all appealing when described as "toe-inviting"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trying to think of absolutely anything that sounds at all appealing when described as "toe-inviting"

Riverside silty mud on a warm summer's day.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A pool, maybe? Make a very 70's non-talking ad of people who sneak out of receptions or family dinners or whatever to dip their feet in a pool, then end on "Viking pools. Toe-inviting. Talk to your local salesman today, or call us at 1-800-LEAVES".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Detheros posted:

Never seen Groverhaus from this angle.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Detheros posted:

it kinda looks like the stairs predate the house construction, which makes even less sense?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What is up with those windows?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Crunchy Black posted:

it kinda looks like the stairs predate the house construction, which makes even less sense?

Can't say for sure about the railing, but my guess is that the ledger board looking thing probably attached a deck at some point, that covered most of that with the stairs on the far side still being used.

Upon closer looking the Ledger board looks to have extended past the far end of the stairs? Maybe the whole, or almost whole thing was covered by a deck at one time.
That would make the off centre (in relation to the stairs) sliding door make a bit more sense.
Even now, it looks like the opening part of the sliding door lines up with the stairs in such a way that its not *that* hazardous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Can't say for sure about the railing, but my guess is that the ledger board looking thing probably attached a deck at some point, that covered most of that with the stairs on the far side still being used.

Upon closer looking the Ledger board looks to have extended past the far end of the stairs? Maybe the whole, or almost whole thing was covered by a deck at one time.
That would make the off centre (in relation to the stairs) sliding door make a bit more sense.
Even now, it looks like the opening part of the sliding door lines up with the stairs in such a way that its not *that* hazardous.

Look at the roofline. I think you're right that that side of the house was a deck. The other side that bumps out further (under the same roof pitch) was probably added during that same reno.

The foundation block even has a break in it under that roofline change.

I have no idea why that ledger is there unless they literally used the deck and just threw plywood on top of it or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The steps could have sank, they put the deck in there, and at some point when the deck was rotted away, they decided (god knows why) to just jack the steps up rather than replace the deck, or pour new steps? It sounds weird, but then this whole thread is weird building decisions.
Front and back doors of the house I grew up in, had the poured concrete steps/porch sink in over time.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7539-Old-Highway-73-Townsend-TN-37882/81000248_zpid/

lady who thinks her DIY fail house in bumfuck Tennessee is worth $870k posted:

Our home is very unique. We married together 2 separate houses to make one. We worked on this project for 9 months, day and night. A lot of work and love went into this home. As you look at the home you will notice a huge front porch that extends all the way across the front and also serves as a carport. The underside of all the porches is a finished tongue and groove board. No tin shows. All the porch poles have aprons around the bottom. Giving it a more interesting look. We put shutters on all the windows for the farmhouse appearance. The cottage side is covered with hardy board which will last forever. Bor bees do not like that stuff. Then we have logs for the main structure. We replaced all the electrical and all the plumbing. There is a new tin roof and 2 new furnaces. One for either side of the home. On the inside you will see all new flooring. A brand new kitchen and all new bathrooms. We remodeled the entire home. Tearing out everything and laying a new footprint. We put in things like you would see in an old farmhouse. The crown molding for all the doors and windows is consistent with older farm houses. We also saved all the siding off the cottage side and installed it in several places. I love that scratchy paint stuff. All the old galvanized pipes were used for towel racks, stair railings and toilet paper holders. My husband did all the inside and meticulously cut every board to fit exactly snug next to every log. Not an easy job! We put in all vintage sinks with new faucets and the clawfoot bath is original to the home. All the rooms are big with big walk in closets. Each room is different. All have wood on the walls. Whether it is shiplap, bead board or the old siding. Very little drywall was used in our home. This place is built very well and is very sturdy. We tried to put lots of personality into this place without it looking like everything else on the market. There is a nice walk in pantry with the original screen door. Also 2 huge porches on the log cabin side that overlook the river. We used industrial wire so as to not block the view of the river. It will last forever and never has to be painted. There is also a private porch for the cottage side. We tried to make the home kid friendly. My husband built a fort in their room that has a window that overlooks the living room. They love it! We hope the new owners will love this home as much as we do.
some of their handiwork

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not bad, but I can't wait until the barn door fad goes away.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Not baaaad but definitely not worth 870k, especially with less then a half acre lot lol

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
According to the last pictures on that posting, the geese own that house now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What if pintrest was an AI that could generate house pictures.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"2 new furnaces. One for either side of the home"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck theeeeeeeeeeeeese peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeople.

Why are you overcomplicating this system, you morons. Just get one boiler big enough to handle both sides.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Porch Bed is a pretty bold design move, although I honestly think the whole place looks pretty alright, weirdness with the furnaces and such aside. I wonder what their flood insurance premiums are like.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lol those bunk beds are death traps.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

"2 new furnaces. One for either side of the home"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck theeeeeeeeeeeeese peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeople.

Why are you overcomplicating this system, you morons. Just get one boiler big enough to handle both sides.

It was probably easier to do that than to redo all the ducting since it was previously two houses.

I not saying doing it the easier way is better, I'm just saying that was likely the deciding factor.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Procgen just kept picking the barn door tile over and over.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Porch Bed is a pretty bold design move, although I honestly think the whole place looks pretty alright, weirdness with the furnaces and such aside. I wonder what their flood insurance premiums are like.

Would sleep on this porch.

Its weird that having seen so many sterile HGTV white tile and gray paint homes, Pintrest vomiting "rustic chic" all over two houses doesn't seem horrible.

But also, gently caress barn doors forever.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

Its weird that having seen so many sterile HGTV white tile and gray paint homes, Pintrest vomiting "rustic chic" all over two houses doesn't seem horrible.

I guarantee that if its been there more than a week you can smell that bed the moment you step outside.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lol if you don't have Enrique wash and dry the mattress and carpet and change the sheets every morning while you enjoy your champagne eye-opener and truffle omlette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

stealie72 posted:

It's less the fact that the house is ugly and more

quote:

We married together 2 separate houses to make one.

quote:

We replaced all the electrical and all the plumbing.
Like you just know there's some handy-andy fuckups beneath the surface. Not sure if the old log structure or the postwar bungalow side will be worse.

Dienes posted:

I guarantee that if its been there more than a week you can smell that bed the moment you step outside.

Yeah it's Tennessee, even in the mountains everything gets mildew instantaneously. And I don't see any mosquito netting there either so it'll be miserable to sleep in. There's a reason old pre-air conditioning sleeping porches were screened in.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 8, 2021