Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bremen posted:

The one critique I saw in the comments that I did agree with is that the MC's ADHD and how it influences her thoughts and actions isn't a lot of fun to read. It does kind of get on my nerves. But that's not bad writing or anything, it's a stylistic choice that just doesn't suit my personal tastes.

i kind of find it vaguely annoying too, but well, it's someone who's not me. its more important for the first person view to feel, like, y'know, an actual person's internal monologue than to sound like me. basically its a stupid criticism is what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I uh, clicked through to pirateaba's stream because I thought the professional edit was gonna happen live, and, it isn't, but... uh, I can see from the glimpses I took why they wanted this chapter to be the first one to get a professional edit. And no, as far as I can tell it isn't Erin resurrection.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

What really gets me about the reviews for Dragoneye Moons are not just the weird angry about sexism existing and being bad in the 'top' couple of reviews but also that a whole group of people have apparently industriously gone through every single positive review to downvote it as being unhelpful. Presumably because these reviews do not repeat their idiotic complaints about sexism being realistically represented.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I enjoy Dragoneye Moons, but I feel it falls into a strange gap. Not a bad gap, but it feels a bit confusing.

The mood of the story is mostly a slice of life thing, where you can be absolutely confident that the mc will overcome all challenges in a somewhat repetitive but relaxing way. A more blatant version of this is Azarinth Healer, but my personal favourite is Kuma Kuma Kuma.

And then she suddenly comes into contact with the structural sexism in her society, and the mood of the story is the absolute opposite.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

VictualSquid posted:

I enjoy Dragoneye Moons, but I feel it falls into a strange gap. Not a bad gap, but it feels a bit confusing.

The mood of the story is mostly a slice of life thing, where you can be absolutely confident that the mc will overcome all challenges in a somewhat repetitive but relaxing way. A more blatant version of this is Azarinth Healer, but my personal favourite is Kuma Kuma Kuma.

And then she suddenly comes into contact with the structural sexism in her society, and the mood of the story is the absolute opposite.

So it's a story about growing up as a loved young girl and then arriving in school.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Wow I looked and yikes, there are reviews like (paraphrased) "There has to be a reason for why a society is sexist. It doesn't make sense for an rpg stats society to be sexist, the women aren't even weaker!"
Well the reason is only sort of obvious from reading. That they are living in a deathworld that super highly values military class.

VictualSquid posted:

To me that seems like super realistic.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The problem with the critique is not that it doesn't make sense in the story for there to be sexism. It's that the critique is assuming that there is some rational explanation for sexism in real life. Sexism is not logical. It's a power structure. It serves itself.

The story does a good job of pointing out how it really doesn't make sense in this world either. If women were given the same opportunity to develop militarily useful abilities, they would double their chances of actually beating the existential threat looming over them.

It's possible that the greatest contribution the MC could make in the ant-war is introducing ideas to enable the republic to wage total war. Universal education, state propaganda, refrigeration, canning, the printing press. All ideas I do not think were taken from her by the chaos god, and they could make a big difference in humanity's ability to muster its resources effectively.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Started "Beneath the Dragoneye Moons" since this thread has been talking about it so much. I enjoy it. Despite the sexism it's upbeat and encouraging.

It reminds me of Cinnamon Bun in a lot of ways.

The sexism is introduced in the third chapter and is an ongoing issue from then. It doesn't feel at all jarring. In the comments the author repeatedly explains why and how sexism is still possible in a world with game stats. As far as I'm concerned, the only explanation the author needs to make (and does) is that they wanted to do a story about structural sexism and how it's bad. Their other justifications are still reasonable, but completely unnecessary in the context of a fictional story. All the reviews and comments about how the sexism is "unreallistic" are super gross, but easy to avoid by just not reading the comments section.

Wittgen posted:

It's possible that the greatest contribution the MC could make in the ant-war is introducing ideas to enable the republic to wage total war. Universal education, state propaganda, refrigeration, canning, the printing press. All ideas I do not think were taken from her by the chaos god, and they could make a big difference in humanity's ability to muster its resources effectively.

Universal education would make such a huge difference in the world. The value of being taught even for a half hour by an expert in their subject is shown over, and over, and over again.

The way skills and classes evolve and influence each other makes good advice on stat and skill builds almost invaluable.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 6, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Rather fond of the bait and switch in the latest Katalepsis chapter.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Wittgen posted:

Elaine: And you're not going to use this to kill anything sentient, right?
Senators: Pinky Promise!
Elaine: Alright, here you go
System: Your Oath of Elaine to Lyra skill has fallen to negative one million
Elaine: ARGH!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Bremen posted:

Elaine: And you're not going to use this to kill anything sentient, right?
Senators: Pinky Promise!
Elaine: Alright, here you go
System: Your Oath of Elaine to Lyra skill has fallen to negative one million
Elaine: ARGH!

Haha, that is a good point. Still feel like education and refrigeration should not violate her oath.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

Even though I said that Malicia isn't as good at stories, I think it might be more accurate to say that she's only good at Praes stories. Like, she has a very good understanding of "how to stay in power in Praes" but she left the non-Praes/Heroic Named problems to Black. The whole Dead King situation has managed to keep the heat off of her since Black departing, but it's hard to imagine that she has much of a chance against Catherine and Black. The big challenge for Catherine is mostly "defeating her while keeping Praes in a condition where it can even offer enough aid," since it's easy to imagine it turning into a Pyrric victory.

(I'm sort of arbitrarily spoiling anything from the last few books to be on the safe side)

Malicia isn't good at Praesi stories, she's only ever been good at one story, and that is "The Girl Who Climbed the Tower". It's why she was able to defeat Black at it before he even became a contender.

Malicia is god awful at every other story, she relied extensively on Black to build her empire and to maintain her power, and to keep her mentally from falling into the paranoia that comes from the mantle of dread empress, and he did that for 20 years.

Unfortunately for her she stopped listening to him, and started acting as a traditional Dread Empress. She covertly encouraged Akua's mother into becoming seditious, she covertly had Akua encouraged to walk the path of the Diabolist, she knew of Akua's plans for Liesse and encouraged them because she saw the outcome and decided that yes, this time a flying death fortress would be a wonderful deterrent, even though it never worked for any other dread empress prior to her - because that story only ever leads to one place.

Black knew she was too far gone at this point, it's why he left, it's why he was receptive to Cat's pleas for him to take up that mantle, because he knew that his old friend was too far gone. He just didn't realize the extent of her anti-black preparations and so he got taken out of the contest for the tower before he even really began.

Malicia has spent the last 3? 4? books making GBS threads in everyone else's backyard and making life miserable for them as they're fighting an existential threat from the dread king, and she's done this safe and secure in the knowledge that they're never going to be able to disengage from him to come and fight her.

It's why she was comfortable in the most recent chapter talking to her council about sending some people north to "help fight the dread king", for the sakes of appearances. Too late.

Unfortunately for her, every action she's taken has been personal, she has personally offended and attacked every other major power at least once.

She's isolated, fighting a civil war, surrounded by hostile foreign powers who are coming to claim her head, and she doesn't quite get that she's not going to be able to talk her way out of this anymore, that time came and went a long time ago.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TWI Patreon: Innworld afterlife sucks

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TWI Patreon: That's a loving hell of a chapter, no pun intended.

Really good, really strong.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Rather fond of the bait and switch in the latest Katalepsis chapter.

A Weeping Angel ripoff would be nowhere near weird enough. Surprise, it's something else!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

TWI Patreon: Earthers are absolutely going to FLOCK to the Wandering Inn when the news gets out that Erin knows the plots of Infinity War and Endgame

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I finished the first book of Dragoneye: it's good! It's not blowing me away, but it's good, solid fun.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Cicero posted:

I finished the first book of Dragoneye: it's good! It's not blowing me away, but it's good, solid fun.

Me too! Near future for you: The next book feels a lot darker a few chapters in.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

A Weeping Angel ripoff would be nowhere near weird enough. Surprise, it's something else!

So obviously the implication here is that either evil mage dad or the spider itself watch the BBC in their time off.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Onean posted:

I was looking forward to one too, but this first foray as a Sentinel has been fun, although (Patreon chapters) this run of cliffhangers isn't as fun. :argh:

Blame the beta readers. It started as two chapters... it got longer.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, I got to say, it's funny that Dragoneye Moons is one of the few serials to go 'uh, wouldn't skills and classes make professional soldiers even better than they already are?'

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really appreciate the whole “these are professionals” part of the rangers arc. They duck around and they chat and shoot the poo poo but they react like soldiers whenever they get an order.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, I got to say, it's funny that Dragoneye Moons is one of the few serials to go 'uh, wouldn't skills and classes make professional soldiers even better than they already are?'

Depends on the world. If you get classes and skills based around what you do a lot, most professional soldiers would get skills to help with cleaning, slacking off, and pranks. If your professional soldiers actually do training, drills, and PT, you'd probably get some sort of athletic skill, a training skill, and maaaaaaaaaaybe some sort of combat skill. Historically, even "full-time" soldiers didn't spend a whole lot of time doing combat training, much less exercise regularly.

Beneath the Dragoneye Moons gets this right. The Rangers do spend a lot of their time in real fights, with a truly horrific casualty rate. But not stand-up fights usually. They're basically state-sponsored adventurers. So they level fast if they survive, as well as getting the higher quality/more dangerous classes and skills. Legionaires get pushed around by the Rangers every time they meet for the first 2 books. One half-squad of rangers has enough pull to influence how an entire legion behaves.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Selkie Myth posted:

Blame the beta readers. It started as two chapters... it got longer.

Oh, it's worth it. But those early couple of cliffhangers were brutal. (Not in a bad way.)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

Depends on the world. If you get classes and skills based around what you do a lot, most professional soldiers would get skills to help with cleaning, slacking off, and pranks. If your professional soldiers actually do training, drills, and PT, you'd probably get some sort of athletic skill, a training skill, and maaaaaaaaaaybe some sort of combat skill. Historically, even "full-time" soldiers didn't spend a whole lot of time doing combat training, much less exercise regularly.

Beneath the Dragoneye Moons gets this right. The Rangers do spend a lot of their time in real fights, with a truly horrific casualty rate. But not stand-up fights usually. They're basically state-sponsored adventurers. So they level fast if they survive, as well as getting the higher quality/more dangerous classes and skills. Legionaires get pushed around by the Rangers every time they meet for the first 2 books. One half-squad of rangers has enough pull to influence how an entire legion behaves.

yeah, thats my point though; you have this magic that makes you better at stuff you do, so it makes sense for the state to have special forces that literally do nothing but fight. they should be way better than casual mercenaries who only sometimes fight and spend most of their time arguing about pay, especially when its a 'more realistic' (whatever the gently caress that means in the context of a fantasy novel) setting and there's no dungeons supplying endless combat experience and magic gear

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Someone recommended Calamity of a Reborn Witch and I loved it, but now I’m caught up, is there anything else in the same vein?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that any good? i keep passing on it because it seems borderline anime poisoned and i really hate reading the ones that are. they make me feel like i need a shower

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

is that any good? i keep passing on it because it seems borderline anime poisoned and i really hate reading the ones that are. they make me feel like i need a shower

How much do you enjoy people being absolute assholes to each other for political and petty reasons?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Larry Parrish posted:

Despite the name, and the cover art, and the premise, and the opening chapter- despite all of that- I think it may be one of the least anime poisoned stories I've seen on RR? Like you get through all of that and you discover what it's actually cribbing from is Regency costume dramas??

This is perhaps unconvincing from a guy with an anime spider av.

MadHat posted:

How much do you enjoy people being absolute assholes to each other for political and petty reasons?

But it is 100% this, yes.

e: Recent chapters chat: Evelynn loving up the way she does with the banquet is weird to me. Like, it's rank amateur poo poo and she's been framed as one of the cannier ladies-in-waiting up to this point. Even with Eleanora and Hana baiting her I don't feel like it tracks.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 9, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Any recommendations for a good serial that has an audio book? I've gone through Worm, Ward, Twig and am nearing the end of Mother of Learning.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Any recommendations for a good serial that has an audio book? I've gone through Worm, Ward, Twig and am nearing the end of Mother of Learning.

The Wandering Inn has 2.5 volumes on Audible

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wow. Beneath the Dragoneye Moon's Vampire arc is amazing. Just wow.

Poor Elaine, though.

Azuth0667 posted:

Threadbare.

A wonderfully light-hearted story about a teddy-bear trying to save his kidnapped girl. Takes place in an MMOish world.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Azuth0667 posted:

It's not a web serial, but if you like Mother of Learning maybe give Cradle a shot. Its audiobooks are well-loved, and those are the two flagship series of r/progressionfantasy.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

LLSix posted:

Wow. Beneath the Dragoneye Moon's Vampire arc is amazing. Just wow.

Poor Elaine, though.

Yeah, hearing about the creation of the world from someone who was there was cool.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
First volume of He Who Fights With Monsters just got released as an audiobook, apparently.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I opened the first chapter of Dragoneye but the first thing the reincarnation deity did was wipe the MC's knowledge of chemistry, physics, and even just the scientific method in general, and that sort of anachronistic knowledge is what I live for in an isekai story. I take it it's safe for me to not read it? Or does the story involve reclaiming this knowledge?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It involves using a bit of leftover other knowledge, and a lot of mangoes. So much mango.

But using and spreading her medical knowledge is one of the main things she does.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I'm pretty sure what it left her was very deliberate consider which god it was and how the state of the world is.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Argue posted:

I opened the first chapter of Dragoneye but the first thing the reincarnation deity did was wipe the MC's knowledge of chemistry, physics, and even just the scientific method in general, and that sort of anachronistic knowledge is what I live for in an isekai story. I take it it's safe for me to not read it? Or does the story involve reclaiming this knowledge?

MC still has a bunch of literary and medical knowledge. She can tell you what glasses are, but has no idea how they work.

AKA no Isekai uplifting nonsense. I am so sick of those.

Apart from the medical variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they're just done to death tbh, and most of them aren't even good. if you want wacky uplift stuff go read World of Prime and save yourself the bother of reading 50 crap web novels instead. It's worth it