Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
New BMW S 1000 R. Looks bretty cool, I think.

e: :BMW: snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
not fair. all liter bikes look cool when wheelied or flown over hump on the isle of man

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
it's very... gunpla

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a very anime biek.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vestigial fairings

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Naked means two things nowadays: 10% less fairing than a sportbike and reinventing the headlight, again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big time “every Japanese sport bike” energy

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

Again: what bike fell over from a strong wind?

My Bonneville did one time.

Obvious solution is to mount crash bars like this Indian 841, which oddly shared the same V-twin and driveshaft set up that Guzzi would later use.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 7, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PeterCat posted:

My Bonneville did one time.

Obvious solution is to mount crash bars like this Indian 841, which oddly shared the same V-twin and driveshaft set up that Guzzi would later use.

I had these crash bars on my vulcan, never dropped it to test how they'd hold up with the bike leaning on them but they make good footrest positions to stretch your legs (if you want to ride down the street like your feet are in hospital bed stirrups, which I did... a lot).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I dropped my cb1100 in the city street when my foot went into a gutter near the curb. Painfully annoying

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I clipped a bollard at a gas pump with my knee, whiskey throttled, and dumped the clutch, somehow didn’t fall down, and fled the scene in shame because a whole bunch of people saw it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I've seen bicycles with beefier forks than this what the heck

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Renaissance Robot posted:

It was the 1940s.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There was less gravity in the 40’s

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

And trees were softer when that front drum doesn't do that much.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Renaissance Robot posted:

The Indian forks were also made out of steel and not whatever lightweight material the bicycles made out of.

Kinda funny that both Harley and Indian made copies of the BMW R71, though Harley's was more of a one to one copy.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There's so much lead in the air now it weighs everything down.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

There's so much lead in the air now it weighs everything down.

Also uranium which is even heavier

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

No there’s actually less gravity now because of all the metals we’ve mined out of the earth. Which is why only Harley uses the locking kickstand, modern designs don’t need it since the falls hurt less

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

A modest proposal from Yamaha.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God I wish.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You meet the nicest car murderers on a Yamaha

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

The Indian forks were also made out of steel and not whatever lightweight material the bicycles made out of.

Kinda funny that both Harley and Indian made copies of the BMW R71, though Harley's was more of a one to one copy.

Has the BMW got upside-down forks? Or is it just a springer with a really beefy surround?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

And taking a sharp left turn with the sidestand out and locked sounds like a guaranteed dump to me.
Not neccessarily, it can end up in going straight over a roundabout.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Has the BMW got upside-down forks? Or is it just a springer with a really beefy surround?

The BMW had a telescopic front fork

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

The BMW had a telescopic front fork

Right, but at first glance it looked like a USD one, which would be like 50 years early. Looking closer I can see it's a conventional one with a telescoping rigid cover over the slider that just makes it looks USD, but I was having my mind blown by the idea that BMW just blew straight past that on their never-ending quest for weird front ends.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, but at first glance it looked like a USD one, which would be like 50 years early. Looking closer I can see it's a conventional one with a telescoping rigid cover over the slider that just makes it looks USD, but I was having my mind blown by the idea that BMW just blew straight past that on their never-ending quest for weird front ends.

USD forks existed in the 50's continental gp circus paddock, not that far after that bmw was built and almost certainly attempted by privateers before the war.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

LodeRunner posted:

Alice's really needs some sort of EV charging. Oh well.

My old stomping grounds. Not Alice's, but across the street at Skywood Trading Post.

Hurts my heart to see it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Want to blend in? Hate people oogling at your bike every time you fill up? Can't stand getting a thumbs up from every person you pass on the road and constantly having pictures taken of your bike every place you park it? Keep scrolling, this bike isn't for you.

This bike turns heads everywhere you ride it. It's a 2011 sportster 48 that has been extensively customized.
Stretched swingarm, 26" front and rear wheel, Springer front end and massive amounts of copper plating.

The bike is a real show piece but easy to ride as well. Price is 100% firm.

$14,000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpgN9EFBX-Q

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a bad penny.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wanted a board tracker but not like this. Not like this.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
thank you for that ad. I love 70s cartoony poo poo--can you imagine a government policy document illustrated like that Yamaha ad? I've seen one. It ruled.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 8, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FBS posted:

Want to blend in? Hate people oogling at your bike every time you fill up? Can't stand getting a thumbs up from every person you pass on the road and constantly having pictures taken of your bike every place you park it? Keep scrolling, this bike isn't for you.

This bike turns heads everywhere you ride it. It's a 2011 sportster 48 that has been extensively customized.
Stretched swingarm, 26" front and rear wheel, Springer front end and massive amounts of copper plating.

$14,000

Worse in every single possible way than the simple honest bike it was built on.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I was planning on plastidipping my Scout copper in a month (Indian Head penny). I might reconsider that.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

As Nero Danced posted:

I was planning on plastidipping my Scout copper in a month (Indian Head penny). I might reconsider that.

No, you should definitely do that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

$14,000

Looks like a road bicycle would have more tire suspension than this.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Coydog posted:

No, you should definitely do that.

Been rethinking it and I still am, just not doing all the silly poo poo with the wheels and swingarm that that guy did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That swingarm would fold like wet noodle if that motor could muster more than 55hp

mewse
May 2, 2006

FBS posted:

$14,000

Big fan of how the whole bike is visibly shaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'd rather ride that than an Orange County Chopper.