Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i was kind of piqued by Rei getting unceremoniously killed off again but with the full synopsis it sounds like it's a little more complicated than that, and apart from wanting to see exactly how that's handled i'm totally on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Weird BIAS posted:

It’s 44.1 kHz and 16 bit wav files for cds and that’s how most music is bounced down to anyways. 48 kHz and 24 bit is DVD quality audio and most people only record higher at 96 kHz or maybe 192 kHz to avoid nyquist concerns (or they use over sampling). Then it's bounced to a file people actually use. Occasionally Flac but usually Wav.

Flac has its uses but it's not that big of a deal in terms of quality for most. A Flac is likely the same quality recording as your CD rip in some, but not all, cases. Depends who made it and when.

This is all to say SDAT is the superior listening format.
flac is for android poors. 24bit/192khz ALAC is the luxury audio experience for women singing in languages i cannot understand.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

After getting the basic summary I think now I want to wait until something better than a camrip is available. Hope we get some more stills/screencaps than just those few of the companion booklet to tide over, though. Want to see the hosed up skull evas.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so was it a time loop or what

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’m holding onto the hope that the characters somehow get memories of the original nge events. I actually like that idea unlike many it seems.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Relin posted:

so was it a time loop or what

Yes it was.

If you want to manage expectations, they don't explain everything. This movie won't end the fan speculation wars. That said, they do a pretty good job of fitting in as much exposition as possible though a lot of it is in blink and you'll miss it off hand comments.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I’m holding onto the hope that the characters somehow get memories of the original nge events. I actually like that idea unlike many it seems.

Shinji remembers it when he's in the anti-universe though he appears to be the only one with full recollection. (besides Kaworu, obviously)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Weird BIAS posted:

Flac has its uses but it's not that big of a deal in terms of quality for most. A Flac is likely the same quality recording as your CD rip in some, but not all, cases. Depends who made it and when.

It's more just for archiving purposes, I have no illusions about my audio gear being able to tell the difference between lossless and lossy formats right now. It's just fuckin' annoying having stuff disappear after using Spotify for so long.

TenementFunster posted:

flac is for android poors. 24bit/192khz ALAC is the luxury audio experience for women singing in languages i cannot understand.

https://recochoku.jp/album/A2002049755/album

While trying to figure out what stupid rights issue was making it not show up on Spotify I found that for your audiophile needs. Only 24bit/96KHz so it's missing a whole hundred hertz of stuff that doesn't matter.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://recochoku.jp/album/A2002049755/album

While trying to figure out what stupid rights issue was making it not show up on Spotify I found that for your audiophile needs. Only 24bit/96KHz so it's missing a whole hundred hertz of stuff that doesn't matter.
sick. my CD preorder should be coming soon, but i'm still cackling over Spotify having half the EP and apple music having the other half. absolutely incredible poo poo.

i guess i'm buying a lossless copy of this too on this moon runes site too tho. i hope utada uses my yens to buy a better storage solution for her knives.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The gyms started opening up again so I got a membership at the one down the street since my university isn't opening any time soon. Since I go at like 2am I'll have the whole place to myself to blast the album over the loudspeakers tonight while getting back my gains I've lost in the past year.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm pretty much fine with wavs with my iphone just being one of many storage devices for all my music. Album downloaded for me from apple about an hour ago too (all 8 songs).

I'm tired and want to watch the movie.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Checked at midnight and they're all showing up for me too now. I'm still going to continue turning into a local archive grouch tho

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
256kpbs aac? no thank you i paid all these yens for 24bit/96khz.

also living in london is an incredible lifehack for someone who is very, very famous in approximately one major country. you get to be rich as poo poo, blend in with all the other immigrants/tourists/expats and nobody cares who you are. the only secret is you have to not get married to random bartenders.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
That's how I feel itt

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
i want to see at least a screenshot of the giant creepy CG rei head people are talking about. oh well, refreshing thread until cam rip drops

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I went to see the movie (I live in Japan). It was pretty drat good, and definitely worth the wait. Like everyone else is saying it feels like a fitting sendoff for the series.

I got a little pamphlet with a picture of Asuka on the front in a new white plugsuit

On the inside was a list of some of the Japanese technobabble they used in the movie and while I'm fluent in Japanese some of this poo poo is just :psyduck:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Asuka was basically the first time I ever thought of a girl as pretty so I am definitely biased, but I've got to say the eyepatch and new white plugsuit are pretty cool. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All this is making the honkai impact collab worse in hindsight for asuka.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

All this is making the honkai impact collab worse in hindsight for asuka.

How so? I had to kinda skim the dialogue there.

The collab being a retelling of eva more or less was kinda interesting, though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

I went to see the movie (I live in Japan). It was pretty drat good, and definitely worth the wait. Like everyone else is saying it feels like a fitting sendoff for the series.

I got a little pamphlet with a picture of Asuka on the front in a new white plugsuit

On the inside was a list of some of the Japanese technobabble they used in the movie and while I'm fluent in Japanese some of this poo poo is just :psyduck:

I always like the little extras you sometimes get at Japanese movies. Seeing the spoiler warning on the back I was hoping for something a little more substantial than a spelling guide, but it was at least something to look at during the credits because Japanese movie theaters don't put the lights up until the very end.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lol I opened the pamphlet thing at work today and was just like 'oh, just a bunch of nonsense. How evangelion'

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Man, Gendo is such a profoundly dysfunctional rear end in a top hat, you'd have to work really hard to explain how anyone could ever get that stupid and broken."

"Gendo was exactly like Shinji when he was younger, and he never really grew up."

".....oh, yeah, right. That makes perfect sense. Carry on."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m glad I didn’t think about Eva for like 20 years when Netflix posted it again. Waiting 20 years for 4 movies is nutso.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

256kpbs aac? no thank you i paid all these yens for 24bit/96khz.

also living in london is an incredible lifehack for someone who is very, very famous in approximately one major country. you get to be rich as poo poo, blend in with all the other immigrants/tourists/expats and nobody cares who you are. the only secret is you have to not get married to random bartenders.

I rather hope that she doesn't follow her mother's path much farther than she already has.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m glad I didn’t think about Eva for like 20 years when Netflix posted it again. Waiting 20 years for 4 movies is nutso.
it was only 15 years thanks

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I sure hope there's a bluray release of the original series + EoE, then a rerelease of the rebuilds before 3.0+1.0 comes stateside. But in a way that means the rereleases happen soon, not that 3.0+1.0 takes a really long time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not reading the spoilers, when the hell do I get to actually watch this movie

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

not reading the spoilers, when the hell do I get to actually watch this movie

Another 15 years.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

"Man, Gendo is such a profoundly dysfunctional rear end in a top hat, you'd have to work really hard to explain how anyone could ever get that stupid and broken."

"Gendo was exactly like Shinji when he was younger, and he never really grew up."

".....oh, yeah, right. That makes perfect sense. Carry on."

That's one of the least surprising reveals ever, honestly.

Speaking of never growing up, I was thinking about Mari, and the whole "Yep. Yui's old college friend Mari is the same as Eva pilot Mari thing, and realized that it actually makes her behavior in 2 more understandable in some ways, not less.

Eva pilots get away with a lot, but we see Shinji and Asuka are still limited in what they can do. Meanwhile, Mari independently decided to para-drop into Tokyo, wrecks an Eva without consequences, and tells the people complaining to just make sure they pick her up when she needs extraction, like she's the one in charge. At the time, it seemed like that was just more establishing her as being strange, (well, that and her being primarily Kazuya Tsurumaki's responsibility, considering what Topless got away with in Diebuster) but with full context?

She's one of the founders, basically, up there with Gendo and Fuyutsuki, and thus can pull the seniority card when questioned.

It also explains the "Mari Iscariot" line from Fuyutsuki. Mari's the only one of the original crew to defect to WILLE, and thus, the traitor of traitors. Add in the show's tendency to make Judeo-Christian references to sound cool, and it makes sense as an insult.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

chiasaur11 posted:

That's one of the least surprising reveals ever, honestly.

Speaking of never growing up, I was thinking about Mari, and the whole "Yep. Yui's old college friend Mari is the same as Eva pilot Mari thing, and realized that it actually makes her behavior in 2 more understandable in some ways, not less.

Eva pilots get away with a lot, but we see Shinji and Asuka are still limited in what they can do. Meanwhile, Mari independently decided to para-drop into Tokyo, wrecks an Eva without consequences, and tells the people complaining to just make sure they pick her up when she needs extraction, like she's the one in charge. At the time, it seemed like that was just more establishing her as being strange, (well, that and her being primarily Kazuya Tsurumaki's responsibility, considering what Topless got away with in Diebuster) but with full context?

She's one of the founders, basically, up there with Gendo and Fuyutsuki, and thus can pull the seniority card when questioned.

It also explains the "Mari Iscariot" line from Fuyutsuki. Mari's the only one of the original crew to defect to WILLE, and thus, the traitor of traitors. Add in the show's tendency to make Judeo-Christian references to sound cool, and it makes sense as an insult.

That sure would explain why Gendo and Fuyutsuki didn't give two shits about Unit 2 being "stolen" in the Zeruel attack; they probably figured "oh it's Mari, whatever she's got this, let's see if we can start up Unit 01 with the dummy plug

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Doesn't all this mean that Mari is a good 40 years older than Shinji by the end of 3.0+1.0 accounting for the fact he skipped out on 19 years or so between 2.0 and 3.0..

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zore posted:

Doesn't all this mean that Mari is a good 40 years older than Shinji by the end of 3.0+1.0 accounting for the fact he skipped out on 19 years or so between 2.0 and 3.0..

Now that we know Asuka Shikinami was a clone like Ayanami, the Makinami name implies that Mari has a clone body as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RillAkBea posted:

Now that we know Asuka Shikinami was a clone like Ayanami, the Makinami name implies that Mari has a clone body as well.

Wouldn't this make them also susceptible to their bodies turning to orange Tang like Rei does?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Sorta, but her body hasn't aged and Shinji regained his memories of the massive number of time loops where Kowaru tried to make him happy, so they're both in a really weird place vis a vis mental age.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's ok because Shinji is actually a thousand year old dragon

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zore posted:

If you think of it like it's adding one year to Mari's age for every year the fandom has had Asuka vs. Rei shipping wars it becomes one hell of a power move on Anno's part

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wouldn't this make them also susceptible to their bodies turning to orange Tang like Rei does?

Other Rei is specifically a timed clone that cannot survive without regular maintenance at NERV (probably to stop her from being of any extended use to Wille if she follows Shinji, similar to how Wille use the DSS choker to prevent defections to Nerv). She gets regular warnings from her plug suit that she needs to go back and charge or whatever. Edit: Anno apparently watched Logan's Run recently because she gets a glowy red dot on her palm when she's close to expiration.

The implication in the Asuka clone flashbacks is unlike Rei who is a disposable clone, the Shikinami series was made to produce the perfect pilot which sort of explains why she's such a good pilot despite much less real combat experience than Shinji.

Mari's clone characteristics are unknown but considering her clearance level it was probably some kind of functional immortality gambit.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
there's a camrip in the wild... somewhere

https://imgur.com/a/EPHSwTZ