Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

[UK strain]

...... and a reminder that the B.1.1.7 UK strain is going gangbusters across the US, particularly up in NYC

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1369786804501626887
(His maths is off, it should be "up from 39%" last week)

NY state is pretty much in a race to get people vaxxed and head off the spread of these variants, and so far neither side is winning and the numbers have been holding steady for three weeks:

Deaths are down though, possibly due to older people getting vaxxed

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Cool. Scheduled mine for 3/17, at Cleveland State downtown. I dunno, St. Patrick's, and being almost downtown and all would want me to go get at least a corned beef sandwich, but I'll probably just come back home, and get back to work for as long as I'm capable. It's a 45 minute drive for me one way, and I have no idea which vaccine I'll be getting, and really don't care. I just want a normal-ish Summer this year. Trip report to follow.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Cool. Scheduled mine for 3/17, at Cleveland State downtown. I dunno, St. Patrick's, and being almost downtown and all would want me to go get at least a corned beef sandwich, but I'll probably just come back home, and get back to work for as long as I'm capable. It's a 45 minute drive for me one way, and I have no idea which vaccine I'll be getting, and really don't care. I just want a normal-ish Summer this year. Trip report to follow.

1d or did ohio open up for more?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

1d or did ohio open up for more?

They started 50+ today, and my wife was bored at work, and scored me a spot. I could've probably waited for a closer location, but I'm tired of this plague, and if I have to drive 45 minutes to get the shot, so be it. Plus, I'm a boat nerd, so it's a good excuse to hang out at the river/lake if the weather's nice enough that day. I haven't been to the flats in over a year.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ah OK. There's supposedly a "list" to get ahead of schedule to not waste the shots. Been looking for info on it.

Rain in the afternoon but the lake should be quite pretty with the wind.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

...... and a reminder that the B.1.1.7 UK strain is going gangbusters across the US, particularly up in NYC

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1369786804501626887
(His maths is off, it should be "up from 39%" last week)

NY state is pretty much in a race to get people vaxxed and head off the spread of these variants, and so far neither side is winning and the numbers have been holding steady for three weeks:

Deaths are down though, possibly due to older people getting vaxxed

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

This is still good news. I think most people can recognize and agree that covid is never going to go away, especially with new variants popping up.

As long as vaccines can prevent deaths - that is what is important to focus on at this point.

Positive cases will, and most likely always be a thing now with ups and downs depending on the month/holiday seasons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Finland should produce Sputnik V.

Speaking of which, if Australia can produce AZ, should it not also be possible to produce SV?

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, but it includes a need to make a deal with Russia. And its always politically motivated with the Russians, and unless you are geographically in a place that requires you to play ball regardless, usually the winning option with Russia is not to play at all.

And yes, I also agree that we should.

It’s looking like a better idea by the day with the AZ clotting scare.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Platystemon posted:

It’s looking like a better idea by the day with the AZ clotting scare.

Not to post while being 'baselessly optimistic' but it's highly unlikely that the clotting scare means anything WRT the vaccine as a whole. If there's a problem, it's something to do with a particular batch, but more than likely it's just a small string of coincidences and the pause in usage is merely precautionary. If there was a clotting problem with the vaccine we would likely have noticed by now after 3 months and tens of millions of doses already delivered.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Castaign posted:

My first shot is scheduled for Monday; with the new guidelines for eligibility it's basically a free for all here in Georgia.

I don't know that I've been so excited to have a medical procedure since I had my hip replaced. Super stoked!

Thanks for this! Just scheduled my shot for next Tuesday in Georgia because starting on Monday being fat is a reason to get one.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i signed up for a vaccine over a month ago in texas and have yet to hear anything back

lol this god drat state

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.
North Carolina folks in Group 4 should pay attention to the news around 3 PM today as our time may be opening sooner than March 24: https://www.wxii12.com/article/north-carolina-covid-19-vaccine-eligibility-group-4-march/35806950

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OMFG FURRY posted:

i signed up for a vaccine over a month ago in texas and have yet to hear anything back

lol this god drat state

Check out the HEB pharmacy openings. There are new slots very frequently.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

OMFG FURRY posted:

lol this god drat state

Don't worry, I heard covid's already over there. You can go to TGI Friday's in peace!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

OMFG FURRY posted:

I was able to get signed up and stabbed via CVS. I don't live in your state, but their website says that they have availability in Texas. I was able to get something near me using this tool, despite their main page saying "fully booked" for my state: https://www.cvs.com/vaccine/intake/store/cvd-schedule?icid=coronavirus-lp-vaccine-sd-statetool. I had to use Chrome to get it to work because some privacy setting or something in Firefox seemed to break the search.

Also, I hear that a lot of places are having signup sheets where you can be notified about extra doses, since not everyone shows up for their appointment, and they would rather not waste doses. Not sure if this is true in Texas but it is in my state. :rip: for Floridians etc.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 11, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

They started 50+ today, and my wife was bored at work, and scored me a spot. I could've probably waited for a closer location, but I'm tired of this plague, and if I have to drive 45 minutes to get the shot, so be it. Plus, I'm a boat nerd, so it's a good excuse to hang out at the river/lake if the weather's nice enough that day. I haven't been to the flats in over a year.

That's really good news. Weeks ago Dewine made it sound like we were going to be going in 5 year increments with every age group being weeks. Now I'm thinking "All adults" might be realistic by summer. Well, not counting the anti vaxxers who will never get it.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

screech on the beach posted:

Thanks for this! Just scheduled my shot for next Tuesday in Georgia because starting on Monday being fat is a reason to get one.

It feels real good to be able to share some good news for a change!

(Though I know there's plenty of folks who apparently hate anything more positive than morose pessimism, so :ssh:)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got my jab in a big stadium miles away tomorrow (disability carer), my lad (at risk) has his at the pub round the corner on Monday which is lol but I’ve not traveled 12 miles away from my house in a year so it will be a nice day out.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

That's really good news. Weeks ago Dewine made it sound like we were going to be going in 5 year increments with every age group being weeks. Now I'm thinking "All adults" might be realistic by summer. Well, not counting the anti vaxxers who will never get it.

Yeah, I've got four adult kids, and I wish like hell they could get the shot at the same time as me. Two are able, and have been, working remotely, but another one is in set design for theater productions which got sucker punched by this mess, and another is an audio engineer, but he's able to at least isolate reasonably well. My wife works for a school system so she had her first dose a week or so ago. It did take her down pretty hard the following day (I believe it was Pfizer), but she's looking forward to number two in a week. I'm looking forward to the normalcy this will bring. God help the antivaxxers. Mother Nature, and COVID will find them.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-pfizer-israel-int-idUSKBN2B31IW
Latest data suggest pfizer is 94% effective against asymptomatic cases in Israel.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

Just a reminder to be safe and ignore dipshits and their baseless optimism.

Seconded, that guy is clearly an idiot.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 11, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Seconded, that guy is clearly an idiot.

I apologize for being unduly harsh. When you posted that more severe disease was unlikely from variants, it hadn't been particularly widely published. I feel that optimism has cost a lot of lives so far in this, but it's wrong to be lovely about it.

Speaking of variants, Florida has managed to hit 50% B.1.1.7 today, right in line with the predicted date.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexbolze/status/1369793371280089090

In the UK, 50% B.1.1.7 lead their steep rise of cases by about 2 weeks, with their peak ar about one month. I hope that the vaccination has been enough to reduce the most severe cases and deaths.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Some Guy From NY posted:

I think most people can recognize and agree that covid is never going to go away, especially with new variants popping up.

It has absolutely been eradicated several times in a lot of places. But no, it won't be going away until the majority are vaccinated in the US.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Biden is going to allow states to open vaccinations to all adults on May 1st:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/politics/joe-biden-one-year-covid-address/index.html

"No" - Red states

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They need to stop focusing on people slamming together and "getting back to normal" and worry about getting the covid number as close to 0 as possible.

Two months of open vaccination will probably not do that.

E: And no these are not the same thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Opening it up on May 1st is a good idea because it hopefully will light a fire under those states that are dawdling.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Hollismason posted:

Opening it up on May 1st is a good idea because it hopefully will light a fire under those states that are dawdling.

Narrator: Those states double downed on the dawdling

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It has absolutely been eradicated several times in a lot of places. But no, it won't be going away until the majority are vaccinated in the US.

This is pedantic, but "eradication" in medical terms specifically means the virus has been utterly wiped out globally and only exists in labs, like smallpox. Wiping it out on a regional level (like Taiwan, Aus, NZ etc keep doing) is "elimination." I only know this because "elimination" has become such a politically loaded phrase in Australia - the government refuses to use it even though their official policy is "no community transmission" which for all intents and purposes means the same thing.

The epidemiologists I follow on Twitter are of two minds about whether eradication will ever be possible, but those who think it is say that it would require a massive concerted global vaccination effort for years and years and years, down to the most remote parts of the developing world, and even if we manage to muster the wherewithal to do that it will still take a very long and sustained campaign by the UN and WHO, as occurred with smallpox and (hopefully soon) with polio. It's not something that's going to happen in the next few years just because we developed vaccines quickly, even though life will probably be back to normal for pretty much everyone in the developed world by the end of 2021. I imagine we're going to see border screening and quarantines for people from more high-risk countries for years to come, like we used to do with TB in the 19th century.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It actually won't going away ever, that's how endemics work.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fenarisk posted:

It actually won't going away ever, that's how endemics work.

Smallpox was endemic in a lot of areas and that poo poo’s gone.

Do I think this will be successfully eradicated, no, I doubt that. But it’s not “how endemics work”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Smallpox was endemic in a lot of areas and that poo poo’s gone.

Do I think this will be successfully eradicated, no, I doubt that. But it’s not “how endemics work”.

SARS‐CoV‐2 has multiple clades of susceptible wild animals on every continent. It is never going away.

code:
TABLE 3. Diseases considered as candidates for global eradication by the International
Task Force for Disease Eradication
=======================================================================================================
                      Current annual toll
Disease                    worldwide         Chief obstacles to eradication    Conclusion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diseases targeted for eradication

Dracunculiasis        <2 million persons     Lack of public and political      Eradicable
(Guinea worm          infected; few deaths   awareness; inadequate
disease)                                     funding

Poliomyelitis         100,000 cases of       No insurmountable technical       Eradicable
                      paralytic disease;     obstacles; increased
                      10,000 deaths          national/international
                                             commitment needed

Lymphatic             80 million cases       Need better tools for             Potentially eradicable
filariasis                                   monitoring infection

Mumps                 Unknown                Lack of data on impact in         Potentially eradicable
                                             developing countries;
                                             difficult diagnosis

Rubella               Unknown                Lack of data on impact in         Potentially eradicable
                                             developing countries;
                                             difficult diagnosis

Taeniasis/            50 million cases;      Need simpler diagnostics for      Potentially eradicable
cysticercosis         50,000 deaths          humans and pigs
(pork tapeworm)

Diseases/conditions of which some aspect could be eliminated

Hepatitis B           250,000 deaths         Carrier state, infections in      Not now eradicable,
                                             utero not preventable; need       but could eliminate
                                             routine infant vaccination        transmission over
                                                                               several decades

Iodine deficiency     Unknown                Inadequate surveillance, lack     Could eliminate
disorders                                    of environmental sources of       iodine deficiency
                                             iodine                            disorders

Neonatal tetanus      560,000 deaths         Inexhaustible environmental       Not now eradicable,
                                             reservoir                         but could prevent
                                                                               transmission

Onchocerciasis        18 million cases;      High cost of vector control;      Could eliminate
(river blindness)     340,000 blind          no therapy to kill adult          associated blindness
                                             worms; restrictions in mass
                                             use of ivermectin

Rabies                52,000 deaths          No effective way to deliver       Could eliminate urban
                                             vaccine to wild animals that      rabies
                                             carry the disease

Trachoma              500 million cases;     Linked to poverty; ubiquitous     Could eliminate
                      6-8 million blind      microbe                           blindness

Yaws and other        2.5 million cases      Political and financial inertia   Could interrupt
endemic                                                                        transmission *
treponematoses

Diseases that are not eradicable now

Ascariasis            1 billion infected;    Eggs viable in soil for years;    Not now eradicable
(roundworm)           20,000 deaths          laborious diagnosis;
                                             widespread

Cholera               Unknown                Environmental reservoirs;         Not now eradicable
                                             strain differences

Diphtheria            Unknown                Difficult diagnosis;              Not now eradicable
                                             multiple-dose vaccine

Hookworm              900 million            Laborious diagnosis; adult        Not now eradicable
disease               infected; 60,000       worms may live 5 years;
                      deaths                 widespread

Leprosy               11-12 million cases    Need for improved                 Not now eradicable
(Hansen's                                    diagnostic tests and
disease)                                     chemotherapy; social stigma;
                                             potential reservoir in
                                             armadillos

Measles               Almost 1 million       Lack of suitably effective        Not now eradicable
                      deaths, mostly         vaccine for young infants;
                      among children         cost; public misconception of
                                             seriousness

Pertussis             40 million cases;      High infectiousness; early        Not now eradicable
(whooping             400,000 deaths         infections; multiple-dose
cough)                                       vaccine

Rotaviral enteritis   80 million cases;      Inadequate vaccine                Not now eradicable
                      870,000 deaths

Schistosomiasis       200 million infected   Reservoir hosts; increased        Not now eradicable
(bilharziasis)                               snail-breeding sites

Tuberculosis          8-10 million new       Need for improved                 Not now eradicable
                      cases; 2-3 million     diagnostic tests,
                      deaths                 chemotherapy and vaccine;
                                             wider application of current
                                             therapy

Yellow fever          >10,000 deaths         Sylvatic reservoir; heat-labile   Not now eradicable
                                             vaccine

Diseases that are not eradicable

Amebiasis             500 million cases;     Asymptomatic infections;          Not eradicable
                      40,000-110,000         difficult diagnosis, treatment
                      deaths

Bartonellosis         Unknown                Asymptomatic infections;          Not eradicable
                                             difficult diagnosis, treatment

Clonorchiasis         20 million cases in    Animal reservoir;                 Not eradicable
                      China alone            asymptomatic infections;
                                             carrier state

Enterobiasis          Unknown                Widespread; mild disease          Not eradicable

American              15-20 million          Difficult diagnosis,              Not eradicable
trypanosomiasis       infected               treatment; animal reservoirs
(Chagas' disease)

Varicella zoster      3 million cases in     Latency of virus; inadequate      Not eradicable
                      USA alone              vaccine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Because persons may be infected for decades and the organisms cannot be distinguished
  from those that cause venereal syphilis, elimination of transmission -- not eradication -- is the
  goal.
=======================================================================================================
Influenza doesn’t even make this chart. It was screened out because, while it’s a “major cause of morbidity and mortality” with “epidemic potential” and moderate political will, there are too many challenges to eradication: “Animal reservoir suspected; highly infectious by respiratory route; numerous serotypes, shifting; type-specific immunity”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 12, 2021

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

OMFG FURRY posted:

lol this god drat state

Same thing in Arkansas. I was trying to get my 70 year old mother who has asthma and other health problems scheduled to a vaccine. One place in our city put her on a waiting list. A month went by and we didn't hear anything. Every other place wasn't scheduling at all, just saying appointments currently unavailable. On a whim I called a place in a tiny little podunk town nearby and they were like "sure thing, come on down!" no problem. lol She goes back for her second shot in a week.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

SARS‐CoV‐2 has multiple clades of susceptible wild animals on every continent. It is never going away.

But how many wild animals actually have it? How many are catching it from what is, right now as vaccines slowly roll out, around the highest number of active infections we'll ever see? As opposed to farm animals that we can cull like all those Danish mink? I think it's way too early to argue that potential wild animal reservoirs for a novel virus equals eradication being impossible, especially since we don't yet know whether it developed in wild bats or jumped to us via something else in the Wuhan wet market.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I look forward to getting my vaccine in 2027 because my county gets 300 doses a week for 10k people and 60% of people in my county are age 50+.

I loving love rural Iowa :shepicide:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lmao CA is going to get zergrushed in May

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

But how many wild animals actually have it? How many are catching it from what is, right now as vaccines slowly roll out, around the highest number of active infections we'll ever see? As opposed to farm animals that we can cull like all those Danish mink? I think it's way too early to argue that potential wild animal reservoirs for a novel virus equals eradication being impossible, especially since we don't yet know whether it developed in wild bats or jumped to us via something else in the Wuhan wet market.

quote:

The USDA said it had found one positive case in "free-ranging, wild mink" in Utah as part of wildlife surveillance around infected farms.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55309269

It's always the goddamned minks :argh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

freebooter posted:

It’s not a physical impossibility. If you were, say, appointed god emperor of all mankind, you could do it. If nothing else, we have proved ourselves capable of bringing all the relevant mammal species to extinction—a horrible thought, but technically effective.

It’s just inconceivably difficult. Each of the diseases on that list would be easier to eradicate, even the ones listed as “Not eradicable”.

People feel guilty that we let a new and terrible disease loose on the world, and they want to put it back in the bottle, but sometimes we have to live with the consequences of our actions.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oh, yeah, I mean, I don't think it's likely we're going to eradicate it, I just don't agree with "it's here forever no matter what."

There was actually a really good longread in the last couple of months breaking down how difficult eradication would be and why lack of political and financial will would be the biggest barrier, and I can't remember where I read it. I think it was British.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
This is going to sound a little weird, but this most recent coronavirus thing might eventually lead to an overall coronavirus threat reduction.

See, the issue of "novel coronavirus jumps out and kills people" has never been a question of 'if', ever since mass air travel became popular, but instead, 'how long?'.
We had the SARS1 thing, the MERS thing, and we were due. When I was still working in the area, a perennial option for reviews was summarising the past, then speculation about the latest information regarding risk factors and warning signs.

But now that things have really gone sideways in developed countries, we had this huge push to develop effective vaccines and vaccine frameworks, and so that might translate into less overall stress when the next big coronavirus thing comes along.
Which it will.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

To be fair we had proper plans to fight this style pandemic before it happened but everyone ignored them. It depends on politics in the future sadly to how we'll react to another pandemic.

Not hopeful for the uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I feel pretty optimistic about Australia's ability to handle a much worse future pandemic because we ended up going above and beyond what our established plans recommended (i.e. we closed not just the national borders but the internal borders) and now have the ~Lived Experience~ of knowing that going hard, fast and early gets great results.