Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

lol. i remember every early review of DQ11 was like "this is 100 hours of dragon quest. It doesn't do anything new, it's just Dragon quest, for 100 hours!!!" and half of them followed that up with "five stars."

the "Do we really NEED another video game??!?" clickbait review trend is the wrost

i had the giantbomb goty talks in the background. they got to dq11 and my ears perked up, one of em goes "Yeah. Uhh. Well, it's good, it's good dragonquest. I remember it being good. That's about all I have to say on it." everyone else was dead silent and they moved onto spiderman

you have to have a heart made out of coal to play and beat dq11 and just be totally unphased by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

almost to the end of chapter 2 in bravely default 2 and man...this game kicks serious rear end. every part of the mechanics is thought through and handcrafted and it all works super loving well. every time i get a new job i go into the sherlock mind palace and think about how every passive slots into every other job that i've unlocked and it seems like theres a bazillion ways to build everyone. seriously impressively well-made game. 77 on metacritic

Something I love about the job design in BD2 is that, more than most other job system games I've played, a lot of jobs have abilities that are really specifically designed to work with other jobs, or that specifically take your subjob into account, things like that. It makes it feel like every job is a puzzle piece that fits with some of the other pieces you have, and then you get a new piece and get to discover which ones it also fits with, and it's extremely satisfying

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

Something I love about the job design in BD2 is that, more than most other job system games I've played, a lot of jobs have abilities that are really specifically designed to work with other jobs, or that specifically take your subjob into account, things like that. It makes it feel like every job is a puzzle piece that fits with some of the other pieces you have, and then you get a new piece and get to discover which ones it also fits with, and it's extremely satisfying

its seriously so good, i just got ranger and seeing that tje job passive was basically the same as a passive on beastmaster that also synergizes with like two more...bellissimo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mia Wasikowska posted:

im pretty sure the screen scrolls at 30fps in dq3 on the switch, or at least something isnt right about it. the snes one is a lot better, even the game boy color one is better

oh and it doesnt have the enemy animations, but battles take about as long. anyway switch one sucks

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Fungah! posted:

games journos are straight up retarded.

Yup.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fungah! posted:

its seriously so good, i just got ranger and seeing that tje job passive was basically the same as a passive on beastmaster that also synergizes with like two more...bellissimo

me when (mechanics spoiler) i first saw the passive that lets you use a subjob's starting specialty :stare:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

me when (mechanics spoiler) i first saw the passive that lets you use a subjob's starting specialty :stare:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

the best part is it's called "sub-job specialty 1" so you KNOW theres a 2 that lets you use the level 12 specialty. i havent seen it yet though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

the best part is it's called "sub-job specialty 1" so you KNOW theres a 2 that lets you use the level 12 specialty. i havent seen it yet though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another related mechanics spoiler: there are multiple ways to activate your sub-job's first and/or second specialties, one of them coming from a specific job's own second specialty

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

some tooltip i saw the other day mentioned jobs going to level 12 or beyond and the implications are staggering

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is BD2 a new world from the first? should i track down adn play the first bravely default before jumping in

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New setting, story's unrelated to the first Bravely Default

That said the first Bravely Default is also extremely good and worth playing, though you don't have to play it first

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

bump_fn posted:

is BD2 a new world from the first? should i track down adn play the first bravely default before jumping in

You should because it rocks, but BD2 is separate from BD1 Final Fantasy style. BD1 has a direct sequel called Bravely Second tho.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Bravely Second is basically "Bravely Default I-2"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

i had the giantbomb goty talks in the background. they got to dq11 and my ears perked up, one of em goes "Yeah. Uhh. Well, it's good, it's good dragonquest. I remember it being good. That's about all I have to say on it." everyone else was dead silent and they moved onto spiderman

you have to have a heart made out of coal to play and beat dq11 and just be totally unphased by it

i don't think anyone finished it because they were busy playing dota and pubg

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

bump_fn posted:

ya like everyone else said its different but you should play the first 2 at some point anyway because theyre good. as someone whose favorite final fantasy is 5 i'm glad theres people out there making multiple new good final fantasy 5s just for me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao w/r/t the review discussion, the WaPo reviewer for Cyberpunk changed his good review to bad today to try to be on the right side of history or w/e

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/cyberpunk-three-months-later/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

looking back at my comments saying that I enjoyed a video game and doing the dril "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm trying to delete it" when the company gets sued.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

lmao w/r/t the review discussion, the WaPo reviewer for Cyberpunk changed his good review to bad today to try to be on the right side of history or w/e

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/cyberpunk-three-months-later/
Jesus lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

oh christ lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

"In my review, I called the game an “intoxicating virtual reality” after about 19 hours with it, focusing only on the main story missions. But 19 hours was not enough time. After having completed the entire game three times in a total of 150 hours,"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gene park is... not a great reviewer, huh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He's not necessarily saying anything bad or unfair there tbh, the issue is that he originally reviewed the game after playing it for 19 hours lol. He's still broadly positive

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He's not necessarily saying anything bad or unfair there tbh, the issue is that he originally reviewed the game after playing it for 19 hours lol. He's still broadly positive

yeah after reading it some more it's just a more nuanced review, my eyes just glazed over when i saw that last line. he actually did seem like he still enjoyed it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I stopped reading when I saw "a patch if you will"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I stopped reading when I saw "a patch if you will"
that is entirely fair, man sounds like he's about to say "methinks" at any moment

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Consider the Pantsless T-Pose, by David Foster Wallace

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Fungah! posted:

lowest review on metacritic:

There’s no discernable creativity, flair, or ingenuity in any part of it. It doesn’t want to either reinvent the wheel or even add a lick of polish to it. It is a game which exists and functions as it was meant to; a JRPG as by-the-numbers as they come,

lol

i'm too dumb to synergize job skills beyond the most obvious pairings and so i'm assigning jobs based on who looks the cutest the outfit.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
being a game journalist is proof you are stupid/a quitter. children dream of making games, not commenting on them. then these people find out math/programming/making art/being a real writer is hard, but still believe they should be involved. gently caress em

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

It’s also an impossible job to play 100 hour long games and write a good review just in time for the public release. All they can ever write about are first impressions.

For a real review you need to do a Tim Rogers style deep dive into a game.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

That’s why all the DQ11 reviews were like: “I guess it’s a classic RPG with good graphics? I don’t like RPGs though because they take too long to finish. 8/10”

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i don't think anyone finished it because they were busy playing dota and pubg

lol yeah iirc jeff mentioned he only played for a few hours and hosed off. awful

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sex Tragedy posted:

being a game journalist is proof you are stupid/a quitter. children dream of making games, not commenting on them. then these people find out math/programming/making art/being a real writer is hard, but still believe they should be involved. gently caress em

Okay

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i got the lazy personality in DQ3 and i feel called out honestly

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sex Tragedy posted:

yeah, good. ok

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sex Tragedy posted:

being a game journalist is proof you are

stupid

a quitter

children dream of making games, not

commenting on them

then these people find out math

programming

making art

being a real writer is hard

but still believe they should be involved

gently caress em

read all those / as stanza breaks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fitter. Happier. More productive. Comfortable. Stupid. A quitter. Children dream of making games, not commenting on them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s cool how one of the best classes in BD2 has a silly costume so you get a bunch of really intense cutscenes before and after cutscenes where half your guys are in fursuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

be warned the switch versions of 1-3 are phone versions that are insanely ugly. i played a translation romhack of 3 on snes lol

i thought i had made my peace with how they look. ff6 phone version is a disaster to me, but i thought i could live with this. i just really want to play jrpgs on the switch, it's perfect for it. i don't like playing on the laptop on emulator. but after comparing it to the snes version it's just so much better. the phone text style is the biggest dealbreaker. even when you have a good visual phone port like dq4, which is just the DS version i think, it still has that hideous font. i can't stand it. anyway here's hoping i actually get some gaming done despite it being on laptop.