Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Throwing his age around is hbag's version of pocket sand. Completely throws goons into disarray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He's probably younger than pocket sand

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

jailbait stymie

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lombard

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i just looked it up and facebook launched in 2004 and opened up to public users in 2006. youtube launched in 2006

that was 15 years ago :skeltal:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

goons continuously bewildered by the passage of time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have high expectations of the next big social networking giant. Needs to be able to dissemminate misinformation to disrupt national elections in 4 years, instead of 10, or else progress has not been made

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

goons continuously bewildered by the passage of time

imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Aren't you a teen? Were your parents letting you use the internet when you were like 2 or 3?

4 but yeah
we had an imac set up in the living room

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Just lol if you didn't have access to the internet pre-gradeschool. Practically a boomer if you didn't grow up with broadband.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i had what was considered "high speed dsl" (1.5mbit) by 98

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I had dialup until 2010 :downs:

I started using Linux with the free CDs Ubuntu would send you in the mail since it would take weeks to download an ISO

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a shame you upgraded

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part was that the only online game you could play over dialup and on Linux is Runescape. So much Runescape.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

after never knowing anything but dialup growing up, getting to university, plugging into the campus lan and seeing double digits in the kb/s download speed meter was absolutely :eyepop:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

my parents used to pay pennies for dsl up until two years ago when they got cable and the bandwidth went up by an order of magnitude and then some.

And now my dad's promotional rate ended and he's paying twice what he did for dsl and wants to switch back to at&t and I'm like, you can't handle what speeds were like in the beforetimes. Maybe at&t rolled out fiber, though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
ISDN allowed you to combine two channels into one. Blazing fast 128kbps!

It also meant you paid twice as much per minute…

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

matti posted:

weird age cops can also gently caress off

people can and should lurk more when joining a community or organization, especially online

this is called "reading the room" in real life

i blame the proliferation of broadband with the inexcusable transfer size growth of websites but this is the linux thread not the tech bubble thread

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm old enough to have played MUDs as a kid (specifically Gemstone III).

Let me tell you about the fun of drawing out maps on graph paper so I don't get lost between cities.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

my parents used to pay pennies for dsl up until two years ago when they got cable and the bandwidth went up by an order of magnitude and then some.

And now my dad's promotional rate ended and he's paying twice what he did for dsl and wants to switch back to at&t and I'm like, you can't handle what speeds were like in the beforetimes. Maybe at&t rolled out fiber, though.

Looks like at&t does not have fiber in their area, so I dunno what my dad's talking about when he says his neighbor just got at&t.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

Let me tell you about the fun of drawing out maps on graph paper so I don't get lost between cities.

I played majormud on a bbs by using a fax line that we got because my grandfather was staying with us and people kept complaining that they couldn't send him faxes

good times, man

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

i play MUDs too though
well, MOOs
...and 'MOO' singular, not plural

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We got ISDN and my Napster downloads were never faster.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

infernal machines posted:

lol look at mr fancy pants with over a megabit connection. My first “high speed” internet was 800k in 2003.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Back in my day the only way to get 1,5Mb was a T1. :bahgawd:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A mate of mine was saying that he gave an old Wii U to his nephew who was very happy to receive such a fun retro console.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I heard that the wii u has breath of the wild but it sucks rear end

I'm kinda curious as to how bad it really is.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

it’s fine, from what i hear. nearly identical to the switch version as it was wii u native first.

the slate mechanism makes more sense there, at least

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you have a fast pc, you can emulate breath of the wild and it works basically perfectly with nice graphics

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

it’s fine, from what i hear. nearly identical to the switch version as it was wii u native first.

the slate mechanism makes more sense there, at least
yeah and it’s pretty impressive that a game like botw could even run that well on what was essentially a roided-out gamecube.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Laslow posted:

yeah and it’s pretty impressive that a game like botw could even run that well on what was essentially a roided-out gamecube.

Is a corei7 not just essentially a roided-out 486?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 13, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

if you have a fast pc, you can emulate breath of the wild and it works basically perfectly with nice graphics

it doesn't even have to be that fast, i could run it at 100% speed on an i7 from 2014 with a geforce 970 (from 2015) at 4k resolution

running the switch version requires beefier hardware, but since there's no real difference in the game, you may as well run the wii u version

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah with cemu and a few mods you can run it at better quality than the switch lol

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

The_Franz posted:

after never knowing anything but dialup growing up, getting to university, plugging into the campus lan and seeing double digits in the kb/s download speed meter was absolutely :eyepop:

same

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I play it on my switch

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Put linux on your switch

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dont Touch ME posted:

Put linux on your n64

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dont Touch ME posted:

Put linux on your switch

why? ios is fine surely

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I heard that the wii u has breath of the wild but it sucks rear end

I'm kinda curious as to how bad it really is.

i played it right through on wii u and it was perfectly fine, never noticed any performance problems at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had free dialup by dialing into the university’s free modem pool for shell access, telnetting to a lab server and running slirp

It would cut you off after two hours but I just had it auto reconnect.

Worst was being on IRC in some stupid argument when the two hour limit hit making me look like a ragequitter.