Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This is the canon introduction of Super Saiyan 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

that'd be pretty cool
I look forward to whatever this leads to (Freiza getting the living poo poo thrashed out of him)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
SS3 hair is now just the universal sign of "power way above your stature but also it's gonna kill you, start the clock"

e: what if super saiyan 3 hair is actually a fuse that gets shorter as the user burns out, we've just never seen anybody run it long enough to matter

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 12, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Black August posted:

that'd be pretty cool
I look forward to whatever this leads to (Freiza getting the living poo poo thrashed out of him)

That's going to be fantastic

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I still think SSj3's concept and look is super 90s cool but yeah these days it's just a bargain sale form
callbacks to it conceptually in look are fun to see, and I hope Cauli and Kale achieve it some arc

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ssb3 gotenks

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
SSJ3's bad rap is entirely because of the arc it debuted in. It, hypothetically, is an amazingly powerful but taxing form where you have to end the fight because you burn out all of your ki. The problem though is every time it's used it's against Buu whose regeneration is effectively a hard counter. The only ones actually able to push him to the limit of his endurance are Gohan and Vegetto who are both presented as being on some next level poo poo compared to every other character. Even in the movies it was still used against regenerating enemies though it actually did manage to score a kill against Hirudegarn.

So it never really got a chance to shine before it was obsoleted by SSJ4 and then God/SSB.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

SSJ3's bad rap is entirely because of the arc it debuted in. It, hypothetically, is an amazingly powerful but taxing form where you have to end the fight because you burn out all of your ki. The problem though is every time it's used it's against Buu whose regeneration is effectively a hard counter. The only ones actually able to push him to the limit of his endurance are Gohan and Vegetto who are both presented as being on some next level poo poo compared to every other character. Even in the movies it was still used against regenerating enemies though it actually did manage to score a kill against Hirudegarn.

So it never really got a chance to shine before it was obsoleted by SSJ4 and then God/SSB.

Blockhouse posted:

Well, Gotenks managed to make it basically his default, and Beerus pointed out that without being dead Goku couldn't make the energy requirements work with his body. There's not much you can do to train it except in really short bursts, because of how fast it runs out.

Super Saiyan 4 seems to completely alter the body, and Super Saiyan God and above use completely different types of ki, so Super Saiyan 3 seems to be the end point of how far you can push the basic SSJ forms. I mean, until someone inevitably pushes it beyond, but how often does THAT happen, right?

Right?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kale and caulifla invent a new super saiyan 4

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah all the story developments after fat Buu feel rushed despite taking forever. SSJ3 might beat out the Z Sword / Mystic Gohan for biggest letdown though given what a big deal the previous transformations were in their arcs. Goku's just like "yeah I figured this one out off screen."

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Aurora posted:

I forget, did either of them actually see 3, or did Goku just mention it? They might just discover a new 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I forget, did either of them actually see 3, or did Goku just mention it? They might just discover a new 3

Yeah, Goku specifically gives her a lesson on the different forms.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Aurora posted:

Will they still have hairy torsos?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Randallteal posted:

Yeah all the story developments after fat Buu feel rushed despite taking forever. SSJ3 might beat out the Z Sword / Mystic Gohan for biggest letdown though given what a big deal the previous transformations were in their arcs. Goku's just like "yeah I figured this one out off screen."

Eeeh Gohan at least gets to display how obviously more powerful he is compared to Buu and while it's a one-sided beatdown it's still a pretty cool one. SSJ3's power boost keeps you alive against Buu but doesn't win fights against him (outside of the hypothetical situation where Gotenks doesn't gently caress around as much) which is a minus.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Super Saiyan 4 but instead of glam rock it looks like synth pop

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

New Leaf posted:

new and improved super saiyan 4 which gives you a short butch cut

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kale's halfway there just give her an undercut and remove the ponytail

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

New Leaf posted:

SS4 is just the saiyan version of the uniforms Jiren & Co wear.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This may be the last one of these and I'll miss them, they were very informative and show just how good ArcSys is at showing love for the series.

And by series, I mean everything about it. There's so little Gogeta in GT that SS4 Gogeta is mostly Budokai/Tenkaichi/Xenoverse stuff with even some Dokkan Battle and Heroes thrown in for good measure and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-5FBjDnmA

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blockhouse posted:

Eeeh Gohan at least gets to display how obviously more powerful he is compared to Buu and while it's a one-sided beatdown it's still a pretty cool one. SSJ3's power boost keeps you alive against Buu but doesn't win fights against him (outside of the hypothetical situation where Gotenks doesn't gently caress around as much) which is a minus.

Buu Saga would have been better if it had ended with Mystic Gohan just curbstomping Super Buu and stopping there, but then I have a very low opinion of that arc in general

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You know it's cool they used Gogeta, since he's really more SSj4 Goku, with a better look and expanded moveset since it can draw on the rest of Gogeta's stuff and some Vegeta, Get in one more Goku without having it be too obvious.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

drrockso20 posted:

Buu Saga would have been better if it had ended with Mystic Gohan just curbstomping Super Buu and stopping there, but then I have a very low opinion of that arc in general

We still got a lot of good iconic bits after that - Vegetto, the amazingly animated Goku vs Kid Buu fight, Vegeta admitting Goku is the best, Mr. Satan squaring up against Kid Buu, the Spirit Bomb sequence with cameos from so many forgotten characters - that'd all be lost if they just had Gohan kill Super Buu. I'm happy with what we got.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

cameos from so many forgotten characters

my boy Eighter :shobon:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is broly canon in the manga?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bowmore posted:

is broly canon in the manga?

Yeah, Goku mentions him. It's just a case of "We didn't do a manga adaptation of this arc."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

I think the problem people have is 2 fold.
1: It's possibly a partial retread of Goku Black. Who wanted to be stronger and thus had the dragon swap bodies with Goku.
I don't see a problem here though, it's dragonball. :shrug:

2: Dragons are supposed to be limited by the strength of their creator. This is why they couldn't just wish some bad guys out of existence. If that's still the case then it's a bit weird that a tiny dragon made with 2 balls has the power to make him on the level of Goku/Vegeta/Freeza.
This one is a bit weird.

Dragons can't affect anyone stronger than their creator if they don't want to. They can give the person who wishes immortality or whatever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah it's worth noting Shenron refilled Goku's ki to max at the end of the Buu Saga and Goku's a hell of a lot more powerful than Dende.

On top of that it's only ever been stated that Shenron specifically has limitations like that and as we know from Porunga not every dragon works the same way. For instance Super Shenron can undo poo poo Zeno did and it's highly doubtful his creator was above the apex of divinity

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 13, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe Shenron is just a trash dragon...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

yeah it's worth noting Shenron refilled Goku's ki to max at the end of the Buu Saga and Goku's a hell of a lot more powerful than Dende.

On top of that it's only ever been stated that Shenron specifically has limitations like that and as we know from Porunga not every dragon works the same way. For instance Super Shenron can undo poo poo Zeno did and it's highly doubtful his creator was above the apex of divinity

In retrospect, Shenron kind of sucks as far as magic dragons go (almost every other dragon in the series so far is more powerful than him)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Tbf i think dende could have punched the daylights out of Kami

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s kind of funny that for most of Z the dragon didn’t do anything but fix the status quo but now it’s just doing everything. It’s kind of boring

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s kind of funny that for most of Z the dragon didn’t do anything but fix the status quo but now it’s just doing everything. It’s kind of boring

Fixing the status quo was basically all Shenron did in the original Dragon Ball as well (aside from briefly getting killed by King Piccolo that is)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sometimes in life the dragon rocks you.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I like dragon wishes being vastly more powerful if you accept monkey-paw downsides with them, that’s cool and opens up story ideas

Wishes are just a part of the setting and the expansion of them (and the lore that wishing is only possible in U6/U7) opens the door for more strife

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Maybe the rules of the dragon are just made up for whatever Toriyama felt like in that moment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Star Man posted:

Maybe the rules of the dragon are just made up for whatever Toriyama felt like in that moment.

Impossible.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

Dragons can't affect anyone stronger than their creator if they don't want to. They can give the person who wishes immortality or whatever.

Yeah, this is the main difference. Porunga has the ability to teleport the entire cast and namekian race off of namek, but he can't teleport goku back to earth when goku wanted to stay out in space.

The dragon probably could have made them stronger than nappa or vegeta, but it couldn't just directly kill them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

perhaps porgunga just really hated frieza and wanted to see his rear end beat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Larryb posted:

Fixing the status quo was basically all Shenron did in the original Dragon Ball as well (aside from briefly getting killed by King Piccolo that is)

Forgot the panties, fake fan, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Forgot the panties, fake fan, smh

Ah yes, those too