Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

xtal posted:

They never had a trans character, are you talking about the drag queen?

IIRC it was a mention of a character who was not shown on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It was a male to female trans individual who is on screen in the plastic surgeons waiting room and their line is "Nothing is forever, I used to have a penis." from season 13 episode 11 "Bwah My Nose"

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

s09e05 "Dale to the Chief" also has some cringy-to-offensive treatment of the idea of transgender people when Hank gets a driver's license that says his sex is female. I sort of think that Judge is mostly annoyed at bureaucracy tho, and maybe he could do something not terrible now.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Media was lousy with "trans people are gross freaks" jokes at that time, it seems weird to single out Judge on that.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Media was lousy with "trans people are gross freaks" jokes at that time, it seems weird to single out Judge on that.

it's just that Mike Judge is sorta kinda right wing about a lot of stuff so we get all worried about what horrible things he might believe. it's all in our heads, so i think we may as well imagine him having humane takes tho

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

xtal posted:

They never had a trans character, are you talking about the drag queen?

The woman in the doctor's office says something like "honey I used to have a penis." Its the episode where Hank breaks his nose in a later season.

It's not really egregious for the time the episode was made, but it stands our like the word "fag" does in ca. 2000 pop culture

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

One good thing we can give Judge credit for is his portrayal of Mexico I think.

It's never portrayed as dangerous/dirty/poor and no one is ever corrupt, even in the episode where Peggy is arrested for kidnapping. In fact the only time Hank is scammed in Mexico is by a couple of white frat-bro tourists who sell him some other tourists scooter that they don't own.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Can anyone translate the French Khan is speaking when he gets fired? Pretty sure he's talking about a bike but my French is poor and it brings great shame to my Canadian pride.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
"Can't you tell the difference between the ones made by god and those with a toe and so old skin?" Is... extremely yikes line yeah.

Judge is certainly trying to dunk on bureaucracy and there's some vieled shots at the patriot act in there as well but yeah the collateral damage at trans folks is rough.

naem
May 29, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Mr. Fix It posted:

s09e05 "Dale to the Chief" also has some cringy-to-offensive treatment of the idea of transgender people when Hank gets a driver's license that says his sex is female. I sort of think that Judge is mostly annoyed at bureaucracy tho, and maybe he could do something not terrible now.

Yeah this is clearly a jab at incompetent bureaucracy. The punchline at the end is that all the guy had to do was push a button to correct the error after Hank went through an entire ordeal.

I really can't think of a single instance in the series where a joke is directed AT an LBTGQ person. Whenever they're involved in a joke it's someone else who's always the butt, the crowning example being Dale believing John Redcorn is gay.

EDIT: Forgot about the "toe and old skin" line above. That's pretty iffy, yeah. Considering it's one of Judge's author tract episodes you can't really interpret it as Hank being behind the times.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 12, 2021

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Spotted in a neighborhood alley today:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Saalkin posted:

Can anyone translate the French Khan is speaking when he gets fired? Pretty sure he's talking about a bike but my French is poor and it brings great shame to my Canadian pride.

I could take a crack at it, do you have a clip? I don't have Hulu, because :canada:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Something I appreciate about King of the Hill is characters don't speak into a void for the benefit of the writers. If Bobby says something odd Hank will react, like humans do.

Compared to Bob's Burgers where frequently every family member will have a one liner but no one responds or acts like anything was said and it seems like the writers were spitballing and decided to throw everything in. Gene especially feels like if Bobby were used as a joke factory with other characters waiting their turn to speak.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I could take a crack at it, do you have a clip? I don't have Hulu, because :canada:

Didn't expect to find it but it's in this clip after the bill scene

https://youtu.be/K6lqqH78_Nk

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

drat it quote ain't edit Bobby

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Something I appreciate about King of the Hill is characters don't speak into a void for the benefit of the writers. If Bobby says something odd Hank will react, like humans do.

Compared to Bob's Burgers where frequently every family member will have a one liner but no one responds or acts like anything was said and it seems like the writers were spitballing and decided to throw everything in. Gene especially feels like if Bobby were used as a joke factory with other characters waiting their turn to speak.

They did sort of used to have the Bob's characters react more to the bizarre one liners in the first couple seasons. That was one thing I initially found charming about the show, Bob or somebody would actually kind of chuckle naturally at the absurdity of things. Or the tension in a scene would be diffused by Bob or Linda saying "okay, that was actually funny."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They did sort of used to have the Bob's characters react more to the bizarre one liners in the first couple seasons. That was one thing I initially found charming about the show, Bob or somebody would actually kind of chuckle naturally at the absurdity of things. Or the tension in a scene would be diffused by Bob or Linda saying "okay, that was actually funny."

I always thought this was a pretty apt depiction of parenting, because kids say all kinds of weird poo poo and you can't react to all of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Saalkin posted:

Didn't expect to find it but it's in this clip after the bill scene

https://youtu.be/K6lqqH78_Nk

"Have you gone cycling recently?

No, I'm waiting for a bicycle with better suspension."

Credit goes to my wife, jennyinstereo, who grew up in Quebec.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Have you gone cycling recently?

No, I'm waiting for a bicycle with better suspension."

Credit goes to my wife, jennyinstereo, who grew up in Quebec.

Thanks! I tried googling it but surprisingly nothing. I guess Kahn is tri-lingual, quad if the upper/lower class Laotian dialects are separate.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dog Dale Afternoon:

Dale: “If you’re going to shoot me, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot because Bobby will put me down clean.”

Bobby *reaching for police officer’s rifle* *sad look on his face*: “okay”

Hilarious at face value, if we were thinking it was an isolated absurdist Dale thing to say. And even funnier because this episode takes place after the episode where people learn that Bobby is a great shot. So it’s him truly believing Bobby would put him down clean.

What a show.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Dog Dale Afternoon:

Dale: “If you’re going to shoot me, I want Bobby Hill to take the shot because Bobby will put me down clean.”

Hilarious at face value, if we were thinking it was an isolated absurdist Dale thing to say. And even funnier because this episode takes place after the episode where people learn that Bobby is a great shot. So it’s him truly believing Bobby would put him down clean.

What a show.

That's one of my absolute favorite jokes in the entire show.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Going by Bobby's easy acceptance of the request I feel like Dale mentioned it to him before. I like that Dale and Bobby got along really well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Dog Dale Afternoon:

What a show.

It might be an episode that takes place after the one where they learn Bobby is a great shot. Sometimes the production order and episode order get mixed up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm fairly certain they were clearly different seasons just from the look alone.

Bobby being good at cowboy poo poo while hank sucked at it was alwyas amusing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yeah. Bobby being inexplicably gifted in the things that Hank wants to be good at is a recurring thing.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Detective No. 27 posted:

It might be an episode that takes place after the one where they learn Bobby is a great shot. Sometimes the production order and episode order get mixed up.

Bobby being a crack shot was established way early on, season one I think. It didn't really come up later, but Dale would definitely know about it by the time of his standoff with the cops.

E: Season 2 premiere

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, I wish this was on Disney+ in Canada at least. Drives me nuts that it's not.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yeah. Bobby being inexplicably gifted in the things that Hank wants to be good at is a recurring thing.

The way I resolved this was that Hank is/was probably just as good at them.
Bobby just didn't have Cotton screaming in his ear the whole time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Cotton really was a dogshit father

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Who What Now posted:

Cotton really was a dogshit father

Cotton himself admits as much in the most backhanded way possible.

"You made Bobby. All I made was you."

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is it explained why Cotton is so loving towards Jr? Is it just that he's still a baby and Cotton would raise him the same way Hank was raised?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Is it explained why Cotton is so loving towards Jr? Is it just that he's still a baby and Cotton would raise him the same way Hank was raised?

Probably just a second chance type of thing. He’s aware he’s close to death and was also a lovely father. Of course he’s too proud to try and redeem himself to Hank but he’ll try and redeem himself in his his own mind.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought he liked GH purely to spite BH

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Same reason he likes Bobby. He’s his bing bing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Just anecdotally it seems pretty common for (non-narcissistic) lovely parents to be sentimental/affectionate to kids once they get older. Like realizing none of their kids actually like them can really hammer home that they should be more emotionally available.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

When Bobby is changing GH he sings a little snippet of Arthur and I think about it all the time.

Arthur just does as he pleases.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
bobby being extremely upset and humiliated he has to take a bath with gh is very funny and understandable imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

When Bobby is changing GH he sings a little snippet of Arthur and I think about it all the time.

Arthur just does as he pleases.

Bobby was just doing the best that the could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

watching the one where peggy works the spanish language complaint line for alamo beer. only now noticed she pronounces her white coworker theresa's name with a rolled r.