Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for Gappy to beat Ob La Di Ob La Da and then Wonder of U produces a new rock bug, Blue Da Ba De.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for Gappy to beat Ob La Di Ob La Da and then Wonder of U produces a new rock bug, Blue Da Ba De.

I think Ski Ba Ba Ba Da Boo comes before Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Next twist is that the rock bugs have been parasitizing and controlling the rock humans all along and with that we get the new villains, Bawitdaba, Ne-Ne Na-Na Na-Na Nu-Nu, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye, Doo Wah Diddy Diddy, MMMBop, Da Da Da, and their leader Papa Oom Mow Mow.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

[ OOH EEE OOH AH AH TING TANG WALLA WALLA BING BANG ]

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

As much as I feel split about the Rock Insects, I do love how their names so far have been named after songs with basically gibberish as their titles. Makes it seem like their names are being made up on the spot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tooru, naming new Rock Animals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmsLe8t_gg

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the rock animals own, i love their naming scheme

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Tremble before my stand [SKI-BI-DIBBY-DIB YO-DA-DUB-DUB]

Johnny Joestar posted:

the rock animals own, i love their naming scheme
The first one was fine, the current one just adds more bloat to an already overly long fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make the rock insects the antagonist for the next part, make all the fights like Pet Shop or Ratt.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The rock insect「SUSSUDIO」will remain on your mind until you get a fatal embolism.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When's the next araki jojo artbook so we can get a name for the rock bug that made yasuho try to kill herself

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Question: do the stands name themselves or do the owners have some control over the names

It's something I've wondered for a while

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Question: do the stands name themselves or do the owners have some control over the names

Yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grapplejack posted:

They name themselves but they’re the names the owners would have come up with anyway.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Depends. Tarot card stands were named by Fate, Jotaro named Crazy Diamond. But like Spice Girl tells Trish her name.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rohan uses heaven's door to check a person and find out the name of the stand and then tells them so they know what to call it. otherwise it's impossible to know. very inelegant system but it's what we have to work with

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Star Platinum and presumably the other Tarot stands are named by drawing tarot cards, some tell their owners their names like Spice Girl, some like Notorious BIG and Cheap Trick already have names somehow despite their owners being oblivious, and some like Stone Free and Goo Goo Dolls are named by their user. The latter is great because it's the only one actually canonically named after the real band.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's kind of amazing how Avdol is confused at the idea of more than 22 stands when he has already encountered 1 unnamed stand and it is just incredibly convenient that a bunch of people from around the world all agreed mostly separately to name their abilities after the major arcana.

I like how that can all be chalked up to Fate when the real answer is just "Araki ran out of Major Arcana but wanted to keep using stands" but Fate in JJBA is a silly thing that would definitely pull something stupid like "everybody is gonna encounter people who just so happen to name their abilities after the major arcana, and then egyptian gods, and then a musical instrument, and then music"

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

It's kind of amazing how Avdol is confused at the idea of more than 22 stands when he has already encountered 1 unnamed stand
He also mentioned numerous cases where Stands were too much for their users and they died. Avdol isn't the brightest bulb in the box, it seems.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Only stands that don't kill their users get to have names*

*please ignore every stand that has a name that kills its user

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEB3z93l1k

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite stand that kills its user is Dragon's Dream, who tries to negate his owner's advantage by politely explaining his ability

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I will die on the hill that Dragon's Dream is a good and hilarious fight

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Augus posted:

:haibrow:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

In part 4 it's established that Prince canonically exists in the Jojo universe, as Yukako quizzes Koichi about him. Yet Gionro has a stand named Gold Experience, a direct Prince reference. So at least everyone else has cool original stand names, but Giorno's is straight-up a prince reference.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Michael Jackson canonically exists in the Jojo universe, and there's still Illuso's Man in the Mirror. "Weird Al" Yankovic also canonically exists which may imply that all the artists he parodies do as well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Beatles, Ozzy Osbourne, and Elvis all exist in Jojo World.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I like to imagine that it's less that stand users love naming their stands after music and more that musicians are unconsciously tapping into stand power for their inspiration

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it makes sense for a bunch of normal people that suddenly woke up one day with supernatural powers to name them after contemporary pop culture, or at least more sense than a man from the 1800's naming his power after an ACDC song that won't exist for 180 years, or an ancient mesoamerican demigod named ACDC, or there just happening to be a guy in Pakistan named Steely Dan

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Augus posted:

It's good and weaponized Final Destination is also good unless it is extremely dragged out for a long time like what's happening now with Wonder of U

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Augus posted:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Augus posted:

Hilarious sure, it had a man's legs get turned into springs. Good? Part 6 is still a low point in the series for me and DD is the fight I can't find myself enjoying

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Dragon's Dream might benefit from animation for me. I dunno if it's because I haven't read a lot of manga or what, but it felt way too confusing, even when I understood the concept.
I really like the chill-rear end stand itself, that was hilarious. Part 6 is just weird as gently caress and I love it!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

JoJo did it. The first anime/manga series to convince me to purchase a statuette, thus turning me into a new stage of weeb. Heavy sigh.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gappy shot a bubble at the doctor's face
Head doc turned and spoke using his stand
"I am done here, I am gonna leave this place"
And the head doctor showed a rock bug in his hand

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, fight goes on, brah"
La-la how their fight goes on

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

Can't wait for the reveal that the guy who saved Josuke and his mom was actually part 8 Josuke.
Josuke helps a woman get her car running in a snowstorm, but we never get a good look at her face or find out her name.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

Josuke helps a woman get her car running in a snowstorm, but we never get a good look at her face or find out her name.

Then he goes to Florida on vacation and meets a young couple and a these two passengers they've picked up.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-01/jojos-bizarre-adventure-creator-set-to-retire-after-fourty-year-career/.171355

Well this sucks, I guess it doesn't rule out future Rohan oneshots but JoJolion will be the last mainline part. Opening up a classical car dealership does seem like an incredibly Araki move though, I don't think anyone saw that coming

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

multijoe posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-01/jojos-bizarre-adventure-creator-set-to-retire-after-fourty-year-career/.171355

Well this sucks, I guess it doesn't rule out future Rohan oneshots but JoJolion will be the last mainline part. Opening up a classical car dealership does seem like an incredibly Araki move though, I don't think anyone saw that coming

Aw man, what a way to find out

lmao god loving damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

absolutely awe-inspiring post+avatar combo